foods that are not "worth" the calories?

Options

Replies

• corksterfl87
    corksterfl87 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!
    I was actually about to post asking this. Why do people on MFP include PB in so much of their food when 2 TBS = 200 Cals! I mean that's like a tasting size not a serving size! If I wanted to top that up with some honey, BAM my one slice of PB + Toast+ Honey is like what 400 cal? That's a whole meal worth of calories and it's not even filling!
    I know people are going to yell and throw things but... peanut butter. I love love LOVE it, used to eat a 16 oz jar a week by myself. But 200 cals for 2 TB, and I use double that for a sandwich, so a regular PB&J is 700 or so calories. I was like, my god, no wonder I'm fat. I had one every day for like 2 years in college. XD

This is my favorite breakfast! but can't have it alot due to all the calories you would be stuck with nothing left by dinner!
  • HoneyRiot
    HoneyRiot Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hellman's light Mayo is fantastic. I prefer it to regular mayo. And much less calories.
  • jillellen7
    Options
    Store-bought cake...SO not worth it!

I SO agree!!!! You always think it will be good and it NEVER is - only exception - butter cream frosting (I would scrape it off the cake and eat it with a spoon LOL) and ... Carvel Ice Cream Cake.

That *kitten* is WHIPPED UP BY SATAN
  • monicapatituccijones
    monicapatituccijones Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Crackers. I like to shove the cheese directly into my cheese hole.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    What I call "grocery store" chocolate - regular chocolate like hershey's. If I'm going to eat chocolate, I'm going to get the good stuff. Godiva, or Lindt. I don't bother with the 'grocery store' brands (and yes, i know godiva is sold in grocery stores now. But I don't buy it there).
  • victoriousO
    victoriousO Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Cake, donuts, and sweet treats in general. Anymore, I really think before I grab these because processed sugar is so bad for a person!!!
  • jillellen7
    Options
    Tortilla wraps. I just can't justify like 200 cals for one.

Try the Fiber One 80 calorie wraps! They're good!!! And stay fresh for a long time :)
  • jillellen7
    Options
    High fructose corn syrup or sugary sweetened drinks. Been addicted to them for 52 years, not even in moderation are the calories worth the pleasure.

You go Dave!!!!!! :)
  • cbenno97
    cbenno97 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Definitely orange juice--used to be able to drink a carton of it a day. What a rude awakening a couple of years ago to realize how teeth rotting and weight additive it was! Definitely not worth it--also, to echo what others have said, drinking calories for me is simply not satisfying.

Also, I love nuts, but I don't feel nearly full enough on a small portion to justify the calories or the amount I would eat to feel satiated!

Finally, I also take off the cheese and try and cut out bread (go for meat and veggies in a sandwich only).
  • williamshl10
    williamshl10 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I don't eat lasagne any more. It's too high in calories for me to even contemplate fitting it in as I've tried the 'just have a small slice and plenty of salad' approach - that doesn't work for me and lasagne. And any attempt to make it lower calorie makes it nasty.

I actually make a zucchini lasagna where the zucchini is the noodles, ground turkey and just reduced fat ricotta. Orgasm in my mouth (like all lasagnas) but much less calories :)
  • Misty_forest
    Options
    Most chocolates or baked foods like brownies, cake etc and take away pizza like dominoes or pizzahut... Although I really love them! Just not enough to waste my calories on them. :(
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Sliced sandwich bread, pasta from a box, rice...

All that flavourless, starchy stuff. I just can't do it. I don't enjoy it enough to waste 150+ calories on a single piece of whole-wheat bread or 300 on a sad little bowl of boiled pasta.

Now I eat those three things very, very rarely (once every couple months or less), and I get fancy, fresh bakery bread, make my own pasta or go to a pricey Italian place, or make Thai food with coconut rice so it's actually worth eating.

I guess I should maybe amend myself and say that eating low-quality food isn't worth it for me anymore. I'd rather have 4oz of perfectly cooked blue-rare filet mignon than 8oz of cheap burger, too. Or two perfect macarons from the French patisserie instead of a cookie from Subway. You know?
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Plain white rice and sliced white bread are not worth the trouble. Also, any dessert that looks much better than it tastes.
  • grdad
    grdad Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Cheese and chicken wings.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Cereal. I can eat five bowls of it and still not be full.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Or two perfect macarons from the French patisserie instead of a cookie from Subway. You know?

Oh yes. Macarons I know. And love...love love love! I am getting more and more that way. When I met my husband I thought he was a big ol' snob for not liking Snickers and such, but insisting on high quality chocolate or baked goods. Now I get it!

Also gotta say that I am on that no cereal train. I've never really liked cereal to begin with.
  • sanderdejonge
    sanderdejonge Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Anything with sugar.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    Anything with sugar.
    So you don't eat carbs? As a competitive water polo player?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • miniimuscles
    miniimuscles Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    low fat cheese
    non fat cheese
    tofurkey
    veggie patties
    tofu
    eggplant
    brussel sprouts
    escargot
    pepperoni less or cheeseless pizza

pretty much anything that doesn't actually taste good is IMO not worth the calories.

I agree with this completely. If it's good, and I have it have it, I'll work it into my calories but gross food.... Nope
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Dunkin Donuts. Somewhere along the lines, their donuts got a weird aftertaste. I always get the "sad trombone" feeling after eating one. Now, the local donut shop's donuts? GET INTO MAH BELLEH.