Everything in moderation

Options

Replies

• hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't agree. I'm not going to stock Reese's peanut butter cups. I can't eat them in moderation. I disagree with you. I have a few things I love that I spin completely out of control when they touch my lips. Certain kinds of ice cream, Reese's, and chocolate covered almonds. I just can't eat in moderation. I just freak out and eat 5,000 calories of them once I start. So, I disagree with you completely 1,000%. In fact, I've never disagreed with anyone more in any post here ever. I am 10,000% off-board with your supposition. It's just wrong. I have trigger foods that I avoid as much as I can because they begin a downward spiral into massive binge eating.

Thats disordered eating BTW. It's a mentality thing. I found that if I don't have something I enjoy in the house, I think about it all day long. So now, instead of obsessing over Ben and Jerrys but refusing to have it in the house, I have some but only on lift nights. I'll eat a pint within a week. It's my reward system for a day well spent.
    All of that sounds lovely and I wish I were able to do it...

There are certain things I just cannot have in my house, ice cream being one of them. I bought frozen yogurt this week and the gallon was gone in 4 days.

Some people are seemingly unable to control themselves when it comes to certain "trigger foods". In theory everything in moderation sounds fabulous, but in practice it's not always best for everyone.

You wouldn't tell an alcoholic to enjoy a couple beers in moderation, would you? I'd hope not...

I wouldn't tell someone with T1 Diabetes to eat cake either. What i'm saying is if its something thats not causing you physical harm, don't demonize it. On the same token don't put certain foods or ideologies on pedestals!
    We have way too many pale gurus, keto gurus, raw vegan gurus.
    Just eat food!
    I personally enjoy a 70/30 ratio of whole foods to processed foods.
    Depending on the day that could swing either way.

For instance yesterday was a pretty clean eating day but I got to have my fun food along with my good whole food!
    At the end of the day if you are happy.....let me repeat that in caps:

AT THE END OF THE DAY IF YOU ARE HAPPY, YOU'RE DOING IT RIGHT!
    I have to agree with this, I get into a mind set where it greatly hurts me to eat things I think I shouldn't be eating, getting upset and feeling bad about my self if im going out for a meal. I don't like it at all, its consumes me and I know its not good. I can also go the other way too, at the moment im somewhere in between these two sides of my mind!:wink:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    For those saying "that's great, but that doesn't work for me because I can't control myself",
    And do you think when eating at at deficit when you're more likely to be suspectible to binge eating is a good time to try and address the issues?
    Might it not be better, say, when you've reached your goal weight and are eating more?
    Refined sugar is also an addictive drug, and numerous studies have proven this to be true.
    Please provide just one that proves it is an addictive drug to humans.
    And we're talking working the same way as an addictive drug, not the same way that people can get addicted to ANYTHING they enjoy.
  • janine2355
    janine2355 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Well said! So true! People get hung up on things, I don't know why...
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    And do you think when eating at at deficit when you're more likely to be suspectible to binge eating is a good time to try and address the issues?
    Might it not be better, say, when you've reached your goal weight and are eating more?

Amen!
  • janine2355
    janine2355 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    So don't "stock" them. Go to the gas station or local store and buy one package. That has always seemed to work for me. You are correct, if you keep a whole package of that or something you can't resist, the whole package of whatever it is will be gone very quickly, but if you get a craving for that particular food just go out and get one serving of it. Another example, if you love chocolate ice cream, don't buy a gallon of it. Go to your local ice cream stand and buy one. I bet your craving will be satisfied and you won't have to go again for a while. Hope that helps:smooched:
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

There are certain things I just cannot have in my house, ice cream being one of them. I bought frozen yogurt this week and the gallon was gone in 4 days.

Some people are seemingly unable to control themselves when it comes to certain "trigger foods". In theory everything in moderation sounds fabulous, but in practice it's not always best for everyone.

You wouldn't tell an alcoholic to enjoy a couple beers in moderation, would you? I'd hope not...

Rubbish. Alcohol is a drug, an addictive substance, food is not.

Anyone can eat in moderation if you physically serve yourself reasonable portions of food.
  • eldamiano
    Options
    Yeah, I don't agree. I'm not going to stock Reese's peanut butter cups. I can't eat them in moderation. I disagree with you. I have a few things I love that I spin completely out of control when they touch my lips. Certain kinds of ice cream, Reese's, and chocolate covered almonds. I just can't eat in moderation. I just freak out and eat 5,000 calories of them once I start. So, I disagree with you completely 1,000%. In fact, I've never disagreed with anyone more in any post here ever. I am 10,000% off-board with your supposition. It's just wrong. I have trigger foods that I avoid as much as I can because they begin a downward spiral into massive binge eating.

Errrr, you could, if you only just told yourself you could and werent gluttonous. They arent addictive...
  • eldamiano
    Options

I completely agree with this!

If I have a tub of Ben and Jerrys in the freezer I can't honestly, and I seriously mean honestly, stop myself from eating it. Even if I go to bed earlier, I still feel like I have to eat it. So I just don't buy the stuff otherwise I know I'll be feasting on ice cream all night!

You could do if you found the tub of ice cream less important than you lead yourself to believe.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

Anyone can eat in moderation if you physically serve yourself reasonable portions of food.

The title of this thread states EVERYTHING in moderation. It does not specifically say all Food in moderation, it says everything. And there are many foods we not need in order to live. I think there are many of us that can do just fine with out them. I have not eaten an oreo cookie in 4 years. Well well, look at me, living and chit.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Options

Errrr, you could, if you only just told yourself you could and werent gluttonous. They arent addictive...

AAHHH, proving my point. This is bullying, plain and simple.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options

The title of this thread states EVERYTHING in moderation. It does not specifically say all Food in moderation, it says everything. And there are many foods we not need in order to live. I think there are many of us that can do just fine with out them. I have not eaten an oreo cookie in 4 years. Well well, look at me, living and chit.

I had those last night!
    Love them in full fat milk!
    ;D

People obsess over calorie counting and demonizing food.
    Relax and enjoy life!
    If eating oreos makes you upset then don't eat them.
    ;D
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Do the things that make you happy in moderation!
    If you restrict too much, you'll surely fail and binge on what you think is causing the issue.
    If you don't try new things, you'll never know what really works and what doesn't.
    I'ma go ahead and disagree opie, quantity is itself a quality.

I like Doritos. I love Doritos. I think I'm fonder of Doritos than of most people. I'm not fond of Doritos in moderation. I'm not fond of weighing them. I especially hate eating 12 doritos and calling it a treat.

I've tried it, I can do it, got the postcard and the t-shirt. It performs anilingus on simians.

It provides you with a taste of deliciousness, then ends abruptly with no substance to its promise. I won't even dignify it by calling it a tease, it's a taunt and an insult to my masculinity. When I eat Doritos, I'll eat a bag (a big one) washed down by a few beers. I won't do so every day, but every now and again is fine.

I will no more eat Doritos in moderation and call it a treat than I will eat boiled cauliflower and call it steak. They're two sides of the same coin, if you ask me.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Some teen recently killed himself over his "selfie addiction" thew news tells us.
    Things that aren't physically addictve can still be addictive in a psychological manner and for some people can have VERY serious consequences. Unfortunately there isn't a "one size fits all" solution to solving these problems.
    Most of the people on here probably HAVE had an 'unhealthy relationship with food' at some point. It's great if you've managed to completely solve it. In my experience the vast majority of people do tend to have some areas where they don't act entirely logically. As it is, I understand my issues and have got quite good at controlling them.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    For those saying "that's great, but that doesn't work for me because I can't control myself", this is exactly the point that the OP is making. That maybe it's better and mentally healthier to actually address and solve your self-control issues rather than just throw your hands in the air and say "well, I have no self control so I can't have X food in my house".

There are going to be situations where you don't have control over which foods are available to you... cookies brought into your office by a co-worker, a cake given to you by a friend, etc. Isn't it better to actively work towards being able to control yourself around such foods so that you can continue to enjoy them, rather than just resign yourself to never eating them again?

Personally I believe that a lack of self-control is a flaw that one can overcome, and when I have flaws that I can fix, I aim to fix them rather than just accept them. Now some flaws can't be fixed, but I don't think that lack of self-control is one of them.

This is my point.
    Accountability!
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Helloitsdan, I can't agree. I think there are things you can buy to eat that have no business in your home, much less in your body. They might be "tasty", but they don't contribute anything positive to the body at all. Examples - gummy candies (most candy), Twinkie-type snacks. There's no reason other than taste to put these things into the body, ever. (and yes - I enjoy a tasty, empty-calorie treat as much as anybody, but I'm not buying them anymore)
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Yes, that may be the case for YOU, op.

But for many people, we have self control issues.
    That means if I buy a small bit of cheese, I'll eat it and it'll all be good.
    If I buy a much better value large bit of cheese, I'll eat the whole 2000 calories. Not so good as that much fat doesn't really fit in my goals.
    This. If moderation works for you op go for it. Sugar is addictive, caffeine is addictive. I don't do either. It works for me. I am not telling others not to do things in moderation. Everyone is different. I have replaced healthy in items in their place. I do not need sugar to live.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I totally agree, Dan. When people are at the gym exercising their physical muscles, they need to also work on exercising their willpower muscles.

One caveat would be that if someone is just starting out, I think it's fine to make it easier on yourself to get started by keeping certain foods out of the house. I've found that as I've seen results, I am more encouraged and motivated to stick to my food plan, so it's gotten easier to have these foods around the house or at work and not be tempted to eat more than I should. Now I can have candy or anything in the house and I don't eat it unless it fits into my day. Often it doesn't, though. I have had a Kit Kat candy bar in my dedk drawer at work for 3 weeks now.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Options

I had those last night!
    Love them in full fat milk!
    ;D

People obsess over calorie counting and demonizing food.
    Relax and enjoy life!
    If eating oreos makes you upset then don't eat them.
    ;D

You are under the misconception that I do not relax and enjoy life. I do not count calories, I eat a healthy nutrient rich diet.....and pretty much what I want when I want. The thing is, I have learned more about me, what I can and can not eat that will 1. not give me pain and 2. I am not able to moderate. To suggest I should be able to moderate and I am a glutton because I can not is abusive. If I had someone in my personal life that told me that because I could not eat just 2 oreos I was a glutton, I would cut them out of my life. We do not call people names and tell them we should be able to do the things we can do. I can go with out drinking. To call everyone that drinks a name and suggest that if I can do it, so should they, would be highly irresponsible of me.

I totally get the whole "IF YOU CAN, all foods in moderation"thing. The reason so many people fail is because they think a smoothie for breakfast, a piece of lettuce for lunch an a carrot for dinner is what they have to do to lose weight. There is a healthy medium. For many, especially the morbidly obese, a complete lifestyle change is necessary in order for them to live a healthy and productive life.

We are here to encourage each other, not to bully, degrade and embarrass people because they are not able to eat 10 potato chips or 2 thin mints. It takes a thinking overhaul to get where we need to be. I can guarantee you that most people pick up a bag of reeses cups with the intention of eating a serving but do not stop because our brains can justify reasons for having "just one more" then we have eaten them all and are ashamed and guilty, and feel like we can not log or come back to MFP because we are failures....because we are incapable of moderation
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I can control myself around sweets. They are in my home right now. I have ice cream, candy and cookies and I will not touch them. Just because I don't eat them doesn't mean I haven't addressed it. I have addressed it. I simply don't need it. I also do not drink alcohol. It doesn't mean I have a problem with it I just have no interest. I am happy with how I feel physically. I do not need to reward myself with food.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    When I go bowling, I drink beer. I cannot bowl ever again.
    Sinse I haven't figured this part out on my own. I'm going to be open minded to this approach and do it. New personal goal.