Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Dreadlocks

123457»

Replies

• Just_Sha
    Just_Sha Posts: 61 Member
    f2df391b2cef510a1efc44ae41646166.jpg

This is an example of yarn braids. For the OP.
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    I'm not a fan of dreadlocks. I think they make a person look homeless and dirty.

Totally agree. I don't think it looks good for business either

Gonna agree and disagree at the same time. Yeah I know this is just horrible and permeating stereotypes but if I go to my CPA and she has dreads with beads all up in there I'd be disturbed...yet if I was grabbing a microbrew with friends in a bar and was served by the same woman with the same dreads I'd think she looked cool.

I can see what you're saying. I suppose it does depend on how ambitious a person is, I'm not a corporate climber type (not that there's anything wrong with that) but I could see how it could be perceived differently in different situations.
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    f2df391b2cef510a1efc44ae41646166.jpg

This is an example of yarn braids. For the OP.

That looks really good!
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Dready grrlss are hawt!
    I used to have some and I miss them!

Go for it.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member

The amount of time spent in getting them does NOT take away from the fact that they still make you look unkept, not funny just my truth, it's what how I see them, again not trying to disrespect anyone just giving my opinion on something that was asked.
    And how I would look affects you, how, exactly? How does anyone else's look affect your personal life?

I personally don't give two figs on how you look, never said I did. You are very defensive and are lashing out at others when the OP asked for opinions. On the other hand if I don't care for dreadlocks and I come to see you as a professional I would ask for someone else, based on the fact that I think you look unkept and unprofessional. That's where how you look would affect me and you. I'm also very aware that someone may not want to come see me as a professional because I'm fat, okay that's their right. We have our rights to our own opinions and if they are wrong or right is also in our own vision. Just because you see me as wrong does not make it so. Just because I see me as right is all that matters.....TO ME. We as humans do tend to stereotype people and we all have our reasons for it. Again quit being so defensive when my opinion was give for the OP's benefit and not yours.
    TL;DR

right:wink:
  • Mello_Rello
    Mello_Rello Posts: 421 Member
    I had then a few years ago. I'm a neat freak so I would wash them every week, retwist them, and style them. I eventually cut them off because my hairline started thinning as the got longer and heavier.
  • Just a tad stereotypical...

Anyway, to the OP if you like dreads go for it but research before jumping right in. Ignore those who are judgemental and ignorant, after all it is only you who can decide.

But.....you're being judgmental and ignorant...
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Just a tad stereotypical...

Anyway, to the OP if you like dreads go for it but research before jumping right in. Ignore those who are judgemental and ignorant, after all it is only you who can decide.

People's reading comprehension really sucks here at times. The above comment, bolded, was in reference to the post directly above hers, which reads;
    I'm not a fan of dreadlocks. I think they make a person look homeless and dirty.
    So no, she wasn't being judgemental or ignorant at all, and simply said to do research before going for it.

Anyway, my opinion; I think they look awesome if looked after properly but the upkeep is something I couldn't deal with.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    I usually like dreadlocks on a man. For instance as a teenager NSYC was popular and I loved Chris for his sexy dreadlocks! I was sad when he got rid of them lol Umm...I've never really seen them on women, gonna have to Google image search now. If its something you like and can pull off the look then do it! More power ta ya :-)

People's reading comprehension really sucks here at times. The above comment, bolded, was in reference to the post directly above hers, which reads;
    So no, she wasn't being judgemental or ignorant at all, and simply said to do research before going for it.

Anyway, my opinion; I think they look awesome if looked after properly but the upkeep is something I couldn't deal with.

Except that it was implied the poster above was ignorant and judgmental AFTER she said anything about researching. Perhaps you should have read the entire post?
  • ironanimal

Except that it was implied the poster above was ignorant and judgmental AFTER she said anything about researching. Perhaps you should have read the entire post?
    Commenting to say a remark of dreads making someone look homeless and dirty is stereotypical is neither judgemental or ignorant; it's an observation. Implicating someone's hygiene based on a choice of hairstyle is judgemental and ignorant, though.

Commenting to say a remark of dreads making someone look homeless and dirty is stereotypical is neither judgemental or ignorant; it's an observation. Implicating someone's hygiene based on a choice of hairstyle is judgemental and ignorant, though.

You are right, but that poster never said people with dreads ARE homeless and dirty. Just that they looked the part.
  • ironanimal

You are right, but that poster never said people with dreads ARE homeless and dirty. Just that they looked the part.
    And that's fine, but several people have attacked the poster you quoted, and I just wanted to clarify her post so hopefully you will be the last :tongue:

And that's fine, but several people have attacked the poster you quoted, and I just wanted to clarify her post so hopefully you will be the last :tongue:

I had tequila last night, I shall be in attack mode for at least 35 more minutes. But I understand your stance.
  • dumparump
    dumparump Posts: 50 Member
    If you have to think this hard to convince yourself, you probably already know your answer.
  • Daveydoh
    Daveydoh Posts: 1
    I am not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but if you are still interested in dreadlocks I recommend this site. Lots of supportive people, even helpful shampoos that are great for dreads. Contrary to popular belief dreadlocks are supposed to be clean to dread, you can always comb them out (will require work.)

http://www.dreadlockssite.com