So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I've been reading and looking at prices of running sneakers and clothes. Yikes! I definitely need to shop around to get the sneakers I need but for the best price. I am going to go get fitted to see what I need. (Maybe Sat if I have time)

Clothes - I buy them off season. Buy a piece or two on cheap winter stuff during the spring sale and vice versa. It isn't long before you have a base built up. Lots of the store like Walmart and Target have cheap running gear. I do find a difference (I am in Canada so that may factor in) in quality/how long it lasts, but it is definitely good enough to use. I started out running in tshirts I had and using layers of hoodies I already owned for the winter. Occasionally I invest in one or two good things, like a nice pair of winter tights, they are worth the money.

Shoes - last season's model of the same shoe is always an option. I have saved tons of money doing this. My last pair were 50% off, same model, just last year's colour.
    Some people get fitted then search the shoe online to find a cheaper version. I also try to hit outlets when I am travelling. I've gotten some great deals on two pairs of my shoe when visiting the outlet (if you can find one).
    But if worse comes to worse, sneakers are the one thing you invest in. If you find a good pair and they work for you, it is very worth it.
    To me, sneakers are the spot to spend the money. The rest of the stuff you can skimp by.

My roommate is a runner and she's helping me. She's already said she has a couple shirts that might fit me. (and I'm also in the great country of Canada)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I've been reading and looking at prices of running sneakers and clothes. Yikes! I definitely need to shop around to get the sneakers I need but for the best price. I am going to go get fitted to see what I need. (Maybe Sat if I have time)

Clothes can be found cheaper off season or on sale. I'm a big fan of clearance sales/racks.

As for shoes, my philosophy is that I would much rather pay too much for the right shoe than to save a few dollars on the wrong shoe. Sure, if we're talking about the same shoe in two different places, then this doesn't apply, but I also don't mind paying a little more for the service/fitting process of the specialty running stores. I'm a big fan of Fleet Feet for this reason.

(That said, I have transitioned to running primarily in more minimalist shoes such as Inov-8s as the "right" shoes for me tend to make my shin/foot problems worse. I realize, however, that I'm an exception to the general rule. *shrug*)
  • angelzxy321
    angelzxy321 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    bumping for future reference. I'm planning on starting the C25k and would like to do it right.
  • sashafischang
    sashafischang Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to write all of this information down! I have recently started running and will use the information a lot.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Thanks.
    When I can afford running shoes I will get some. Until then my usual will have to do.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Thanks.
    When I can afford running shoes I will get some. Until then my usual will have to do.

Sounds reasonable.

I mean, millions and millions of people have successfully become runners without special (or in some cases, any) shoes at all. However, if you notice any pain or discomfort or problems of any kind that you think might in some way be related to your running, shoes are a solid first thing to consider.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Thanks.

Sounds reasonable.

I mean, millions and millions of people have successfully become runners without special (or in some cases, any) shoes at all. However, if you notice any pain or discomfort or problems of any kind that you think might in some way be related to your running, shoes are a solid first thing to consider.

^This. I have never understood anyone who says a first step to starting running is to go get fitted for shoes. Or even that actual running shoes are a requirement. Just get out and run. If there's issues, look into shoes as they might help. But if you're fine running in whatever, then fitted running shoes don't really bring anything to the table.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Thanks.

Sounds reasonable.

^This. I have never understood anyone who says a first step to starting running is to go get fitted for shoes. Or even that actual running shoes are a requirement. Just get out and run. If there's issues, look into shoes as they might help. But if you're fine running in whatever, then fitted running shoes don't really bring anything to the table.

I suggest it when people ask about shoes assuming they are going to buy new shoes just for running. In my experience, a lot will go for extra cushioning or a supportive shoe. They sound like good things, like something you would want but IMO, running in a corrective shoe when you don't need it probably causes more problems. (that coming from someone who needs a corrective shoe).
    I think if you are going to specifically buy a shoe, it is better to do it with guidance.

I do agree that if you are problem free in what you are running in, continue to do so. I am a huge believer in that as well.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Thanks.

Sounds reasonable.

If finances allow, however, I strongly suggest the fitted running shoes. For one thing, it's nice to have a pair of shoes dedicated for the purpose...because sweaty running shoes are a bad match w/ everyday life. Also, there are plenty of injuries you can accumulate over time w/ improper footwear that you *may* be able to avoid with the right shoes.

It's just that, if the choice is between waiting to have the funds to buy shoes or starting running right now, I see no (serious) harm in starting right now.
  • mrsfyredude
    mrsfyredude Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Wish I had seen this before I developed PF. 29o0en7.gif
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

PF is awful. I think what helped me recover from my bouts with it was frequent stretching...where you put your toes up on a wall, heel on the ground, and lean into the stretch...and putting your toes on a step and hanging the rest of your foot off of the step.

I've recovered from it while doing absolutely no running...(took about four months)...and recovered from it on the other foot while also still running (just working around the issue and not trying to do too much...took about three months, but it wasn't nearly as far along as it was with the other foot before I started working on it). I'm a proponent for the latter, although if it starts to worsen or doesn't improve, then the former is almost certainly the right next step. Whatever you do, don't just ignore it and push through the pain. As bad as acute PF is, apparently chronic PF is even worse.

Good luck. PF really is awful.

ETA: more stuff
  • lifegoeson25
    lifegoeson25 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Such a nice overview, thank you!
  • CheatinLil
    CheatinLil Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything about posture.
    Here's what I've been told and have no idea if its right. I would love some feed back:
    shoulders back and down, spine straight. when your foot hits the pavement you should try and have it land at the center of your body for balance. Belly button and pelvic tilted up and back. Feet shouldn't come high off the ground. Elbows not bent to much, just barely.

What is the posture for maximum endurance? I would love to know
    I've never run a marathon but I do enjoy running. I do intervals of walking and running. I average 3 miles but have done up to 6.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Here's what I've been told and have no idea if its right. I would love some feed back:
    shoulders back and down, spine straight. when your foot hits the pavement you should try and have it land at the center of your body for balance. Belly button and pelvic tilted up and back. Feet shouldn't come high off the ground. Elbows not bent to much, just barely.

I've never run a marathon but I do enjoy running. I do intervals of walking and running. I average 3 miles but have done up to 6.

I'm going to message the OP on this to get her thoughts but I do know this - like everything else, there are two schools of thought on this. One is that there is an ideal form and we should try to aim for it. The other is to let your body do what it does naturally.

I aim for what you describe. Head up, shoulders back allows for better breathing is what I have been taught. I pay particular attention to this on hills where I have a tendacy to look down. I also try to land mid foot.
  • SarahAnna87
    SarahAnna87 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

I covered a bit of this in the 'mechanics' section.
    -Your foot should hit right under or just in front of your body. If it is hitting way out in front of you, you are over-striding.
    -Your arms should move forward, and not swing across your body. This will keep you from torque-ing out your back, and make it easier to breathe.
    -Keep your shoulders down and relaxed. If your biceps hurt after a run, you are tensing your upper body too much.

That is for general, easy running on flat-ish surfaces.

but 3DR is also correct, there are multiple schools of thought on this. I tend to favor 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' philosophy, but there are others. A lot depends on the type of running you are doing. Uphill posture will be different than downhill or flat. Sprint stride is different than distance. Feet shouldn't come super high up for endurance, if you bring them too far up, you are wasting energy bobbing up and down rather than moving forward. Turnover or cadence is also important. Runners will often use a cadence of 180 steps per minute as 'ideal' for distance running. A lot of people think lengthening your stride is the key to going faster, when really you should shorten your stride and increase your cadence.

It is important to note that there is not one stride that works for everyone. Hell, Emil Zatopek looked like he was having a seizure while running. Didn't stop him from winning gold in the 5k, 10k, and marathon of the same olympics.
  • friggie
    friggie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the great info.
    I plan on starting 5KRunner app on my phone soon as I get back from holidays end of this month. I am new to running but really want to give it a try. I figure 3 days a week to start and do my strength training on off days to help build up my muscles too!!
  • mrsfyredude
    mrsfyredude Posts: 177 Member
    Options

PF is awful. I think what helped me recover from my bouts with it was frequent stretching...where you put your toes up on a wall, heel on the ground, and lean into the stretch...and putting your toes on a step and hanging the rest of your foot off of the step.

I've recovered from it while doing absolutely no running...(took about four months)...and recovered from it on the other foot while also still running (just working around the issue and not trying to do too much...took about three months, but it wasn't nearly as far along as it was with the other foot before I started working on it). I'm a proponent for the latter, although if it starts to worsen or doesn't improve, then the former is almost certainly the right next step. Whatever you do, don't just ignore it and push through the pain. As bad as acute PF is, apparently chronic PF is even worse.

Good luck. PF really is awful.

ETA: more stuff

Thanks, I'm at the point where even walking is painful, so I'll be doing other activities for a while. Already got better shoes/insoles, $$$$$ ugh! And have started stretching a lot more, need to get something to wear around the house though, i'm a bare-footer.
  • guthriemdg311
    guthriemdg311 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information! Is there a way to save it in MFP for future reference?
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the great write up. I just started C25K (day 3, holla! hehe), so this will be a great post to keep referring to.