Vegetarians found more unhealthy. Interesting article.

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Well, it's certainly not difficult to have more trouble getting the appropriate nutrients when you cut stuff out of your diet, so I'm not very surprised. Vegetarians have to work harder at balanced meals, and there are tons of vegetarians who seem to subsist on fries and white bread (especially young ones and those who are vegetarian for ethical reasons rather than health ones.) There's also a pretty substantial number of people with eating disorders who become "vegetarian" so it's easier to restrict food in public.

Ideally, everyone should be paying attention to their macro and micro nutrient intake and getting everything their bodies need, but vegetarians and other people who restrict their diets (paleo etc) need to be extra careful, obviously.

No need to throw paleo in with that. When you are eating an abundance of protein, fats, vegetables, fruit, nuts and seeds it is not hard at all to meet both your micronutrient and macronutrient needs.

One main reason my Doctor recommends the Paleo Lifestyle to his patients to get them off medications and just eating real food.

I should have known I'd get the paleo police on my case here...they're like Betelgeuse except you only have to say the word once for them to appear.

Yes, whole foods are good. Restricting your diet from a huge number of foods can be bad if you're not careful.

I'm not the Paleo police. I just don't appreciate people stating that you will be deficient eating this way.

Eating this way is what DID correct my deficiencies.

I certainly didn't say that you WOULD be deficient, I said that any diet restricting a large amount of foods can make it more DIFFICULT and requires more effort and planning than an unrestricted one. You really don't have to jump on the defensive about it. Any time you remove something from a diet (yes, even grains) you have to replace it with something and that takes some thought.

I'm not attacking anyone here, jeez. And people wonder why so much of the MFP population makes fun of people with militant ideas about food.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    I'm not going to chose a lifestyle based upon celebrities, but a few celebrity vegetarians:

Kristin Bell

Carrie Underwood

Anne Hathaway

Christy Turlington

Nigella is lovely.

There are also lovely vegetarians.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    There are many more university and hospital studies that say the opposite. Plus, you have to find out who funds that magazine and who funds the person or organization that wrote the article. There's a lot of money spent every DAY by the cattle and dairy industries to discredit people who promote not eating their products. It usually comes down to economics. And big corporate concerns don't want you messing with their profit whether it's animal products or other consumer goods.
    The study was not from that magazine the study was out of Austria which I don't think has a big corporate meat industry.

Scientific journals can have backers that want to promote certain studies over others, and meat can be imported, so it makes sense to look at where the funding came from.

The problem with every pro-veg*n paper/study I've seen (regardless of credibility) is that they compare to the Standard American/Western Diet. That's a high bar when it comes to health. *eyeroll*

That said, please remember your stated standards the next time The China Study or Forks Over Knives are cited in a conversation as support for veg*nism.

Ummmmm, I do, that's why I brought up the point of looking into funding sources. The fact that I'm vegetarian has nothing to do with the fact that I know how to decide if a scientific article is credible. My Biology degree can take credit for that.

Sorry, my attempt to make that not so harsh didn't work too well. It was also more of a general thing, not saying that you, specifically, were doing that.

It just gets annoying when the veg*n evangelists (not necessarily you, specifically) use The China Study and Forks Over Knives (as well as other "resources" with obviously vegan agendas) as compelling evidence that veg*n is the way everyone should go, and then turn around and say that studies suggesting veg*n may not be so healthy, or ones supporting eating meat need to be self-funded, double-blind lab studies or they don't count, and anything less is "confirmation bias" or otherwise invalid, you know?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Well, it's certainly not difficult to have more trouble getting the appropriate nutrients when you cut stuff out of your diet, so I'm not very surprised. Vegetarians have to work harder at balanced meals, and there are tons of vegetarians who seem to subsist on fries and white bread (especially young ones and those who are vegetarian for ethical reasons rather than health ones.) There's also a pretty substantial number of people with eating disorders who become "vegetarian" so it's easier to restrict food in public.

Ideally, everyone should be paying attention to their macro and micro nutrient intake and getting everything their bodies need, but vegetarians and other people who restrict their diets (paleo etc) need to be extra careful, obviously.

No need to throw paleo in with that. When you are eating an abundance of protein, fats, vegetables, fruit, nuts and seeds it is not hard at all to meet both your micronutrient and macronutrient needs.

One main reason my Doctor recommends the Paleo Lifestyle to his patients to get them off medications and just eating real food.

I should have known I'd get the paleo police on my case here...they're like Betelgeuse except you only have to say the word once for them to appear.

Yes, whole foods are good. Restricting your diet from a huge number of foods can be bad if you're not careful.

I'm not the Paleo police. I just don't appreciate people stating that you will be deficient eating this way.

I certainly didn't say that you WOULD be deficient, I said that any diet restricting a large amount of foods can make it more DIFFICULT and requires more effort and planning than an unrestricted one. You really don't have to jump on the defensive about it. Any time you remove something from a diet (yes, even grains) you have to replace it with something and that takes some thought.

I'm not attacking anyone here, jeez. And people wonder why so much of the MFP population makes fun of people with militant ideas about food.

As someone else mentioned, when you remove dairy, grains and legumes from your way of eating you replace it with fruits and vegetables that are more nutrient dense naturally.

It is damn near impossible to be nutrient deficient with eating this way. Grains and beans are not the nutritious items they are portrayed to be unless they are soaked and sprouted and fermented.

Anytime you have to heavily process something to make it edible, then add back in nutrients that were stripped out is not something I want to put in my body any longer.

I want to eat something that I can kill and eat (yes I like raw and nearly raw meat), pluck it out of the ground or pick off a tree and eat it. Whether I cook said items or not is up to me, but I prefer to eat stuff that I can eat without cooking it.

Raw liver, spinach salad and a bowl of berries is a grand meal to me and very nutrient dense.
  • hilly510
    hilly510 Posts: 46 Member
    There are many more university and hospital studies that say the opposite. Plus, you have to find out who funds that magazine and who funds the person or organization that wrote the article. There's a lot of money spent every DAY by the cattle and dairy industries to discredit people who promote not eating their products. It usually comes down to economics. And big corporate concerns don't want you messing with their profit whether it's animal products or other consumer goods.
    The study was not from that magazine the study was out of Austria which I don't think has a big corporate meat industry.

Scientific journals can have backers that want to promote certain studies over others, and meat can be imported, so it makes sense to look at where the funding came from.

The problem with every pro-veg*n paper/study I've seen (regardless of credibility) is that they compare to the Standard American/Western Diet. That's a high bar when it comes to health. *eyeroll*

That said, please remember your stated standards the next time The China Study or Forks Over Knives are cited in a conversation as support for veg*nism.

Ummmmm, I do, that's why I brought up the point of looking into funding sources. The fact that I'm vegetarian has nothing to do with the fact that I know how to decide if a scientific article is credible. My Biology degree can take credit for that.

Sorry, my attempt to make that not so harsh didn't work too well. It was also more of a general thing, not saying that you, specifically, were doing that.

It just gets annoying when the veg*n evangelists (not necessarily you, specifically) use The China Study and Forks Over Knives (as well as other "resources" with obviously vegan agendas) as compelling evidence that veg*n is the way everyone should go, and then turn around and say that studies suggesting veg*n may not be so healthy, or ones supporting eating meat need to be self-funded, double-blind lab studies or they don't count, and anything less is "confirmation bias" or otherwise invalid, you know?

Yea, I get it. I had to delete a couple sentences because I'm not holier-than-thou, and get defensive when people just assume I am. But I agree, people need to be more educated on how to take in information, decide if its valid, and go from there without getting evangelical. Taking life THAT seriously is just a recipe for unhappiness.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    I want to lighten the mood and point out that you are sitting next to Colonel Sanders?! Maybe it has just been a long day at work...but that makes me laugh!
    That's at the original Kentucky Fried Chicken in Corbin, KY.
    I thought the original KFC was here in Utah.

That being said, I don't like KFC so I may be wrong.

umm..
    It is Kentucky Fried Chicken, not Utah Fried Chicken.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KFC

The first franchise was in Salt Lake. But the colonel's original restaraunt was in Corbin.

Glad I googled it, because I was thinking the same thing.

:laugh: glad we could get that cleared up in this thread
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    There 2 types of vegetarians.. those that eat right ( vegetables, no dairy, no excessive carbs) and those who just don't want to eat meat.. I know both types.. My friend is a vegetarian and she hates vegetables.. so naturally, she is overweight because all she eats is processed junk food and dairy. My sister in law is a vegetarian, and you don't get any healthier then her... she takes really good care of her body and eats the way man was intended to eat... If your a vegetarian, you have to learn how to get your protein.... and in most cases its from fish and beans.. But there are unhealthy meat eaters and vegetarians, its all about choices in food.

Fish isn't vegetarian.

However, I do agree with you that there are definitely two types of vegetarians; the ones that pay attention to proper nutrition and adequate protein, and those who don't. It truly makes a huge difference in a lot of the health issues that can happen, but don't have to happen.

As with ANY diet though, people can be negligent and become deficient in one or more nutrients whether they choose to eat meat or not. I know people who eat meat that are severely anaemic, yet I'm vegetarian and my iron levels are perfect. Any diet is capable of acquiring deficiencies if it's unbalanced. It really depends on each individual's choices.
  • Dragonwolf
    I got all my health problems as a meat/dairy etc eater.
    Lost about 30kg on a vegetarian, then vegan diet.
    Have had no problems with my health since, have a lot better skin, my hair is shiny..
    And im just an a lot happier person.

I got all my health problems as a SAD eater and by eating crap food and grains.
    I've lost about 20lbs on a Primal diet and still eat ample meat and some dairy.
    I've also been healing my body through it. My skin is clearer than it has ever been, my cholesterol numbers are better than ever, my mood is more stable, it's easier to eat less food, among other things.

Eating meat is the least of the problems with the Standard American/Western Diet. That's the thing that nearly all whole-foods based diets have in common and why you can get pretty much the same results regardless of whether you go the Paleo or the Veg*n route. It's not "meat" that's the problem, it's all the other garbage that's put into the food supply, and the way the animals used for meat are raised (the CAFO environment destroys a large amount of the beneficial qualities of the meat, because livestock like cows and pigs aren't meant to eat grain or be in such cramped environments).
  • peleroja

As someone else mentioned, when you remove dairy, grains and legumes from your way of eating you replace it with fruits and vegetables that are more nutrient dense naturally.

It is damn near impossible to be nutrient deficient with eating this way. Grains and beans are not the nutritious items they are portrayed to be unless they are soaked and sprouted and fermented.

Anytime you have to heavily process something to make it edible, then add back in nutrients that were stripped out is not something I want to put in my body any longer.

I want to eat something that I can kill and eat (yes I like raw and nearly raw meat), pluck it out of the ground or pick off a tree and eat it. Whether I cook said items or not is up to me, but I prefer to eat stuff that I can eat without cooking it.

Raw liver, spinach salad and a bowl of berries is a grand meal to me and very nutrient dense.

You're not really on the subject anymore...

And trust me, plenty of people who say they're "paleo" end up making bad choices. Bacon isn't a great substitute for toast, actually, when you consume it in large quantities.

I'm glad you're happy and healthy about your diet, but my point stands for the population. There are healthy vegetarians and healthy paleo eaters, but there are just as many cheese pizza/prime rib for every meal people out there, unfortunately, and it was those to which I was referring when stating that eating a restrictive diet requires some effort to do properly. If you're doing it properly, that's awesome, but not everyone is.
  • Dragonwolf

To be fair, your response came off pretty snide and ****ish, particularly when you immediately called them "the paleo police" solely because they pointed out that your original statement really isn't as accurate as you seem to think.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member

What the heck does "nutrient dense" even mean?

It's different nutrients, not MORE nutrients.
  • peleroja

To be fair, your response came off pretty snide and ****ish, particularly when you immediately called them "the paleo police" solely because they pointed out that your original statement really isn't as accurate as you seem to think.

My first comment was very moderate and said that "people [who eat more restrictive diets] need to be extra careful". Which is completely, 100% accurate. I am actually astounded that anyone would disagree with that, especially someone who obviously IS careful and does make an effort to eat well.

I admit I'm tired of the lifestyle preachers generally here, but I can't believe how panty-knotted people get about their diets. It's worse than religion or politics sometimes.
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Science FTW
    [img][/img]nigellagillian.jpg
    Everyone takes good and bad photos. Genetics and luck of the draw are a big factor in beauty too.
    525x525px-LL-d8bf12d5_vbattach17247.jpeg
    nigella-lawson-1_2596507b.jpg
    Eh, the brunette looks healthier to me.

yup and she'd get smashed 10x out 10 over the blonde :)
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member

My first comment was very moderate and said that "people [who eat more restrictive diets] need to be extra careful". Which is completely, 100% accurate. I am actually astounded that anyone would disagree with that, especially someone who obviously IS careful and does make an effort to eat well.

seriously...

To personalize this and make it sound more offensive and judgemental and personal I will use myself as an example. As an omnivore with no foods avoided, I can eat ANYTHING you can eat. But you CAN'T eat all the foods I CAN eat if your diet is restricted in anyway.

Therefore it is logical considering a healthy diet requires nutrients from a variety of food sources (if getting them "as nature intended") that the less restricted diet is ALWAYS the better choice for overall health...

sorry, but logic is logic...
  • peleroja

seriously...

To personalize this and make it sound more offensive and judgemental and personal I will use myself as an example. As an omnivore with no foods avoided, I can eat ANYTHING you can eat. But you CAN'T eat all the foods I CAN eat if your diet is restricted in anyway.

Therefore it is logical considering a healthy diet requires nutrients from a variety of food sources (if getting them "as nature intended") that the less restricted diet is ALWAYS the better choice for overall health...

sorry, but logic is logic...

Yep.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member

What the heck does "nutrient dense" even mean?

It's different nutrients, not MORE nutrients.

Not sure how the other poster meant it, but I like this definition:

"Nutrient density is a measure of the amount of nutrients a food contains in comparison to the number of calories. A food is more nutrient dense when the level of nutrients is high in relationship to the number of calories the food contains. "

Source: World's Healthiest Foods
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member

"Nutrient density is a measure of the amount of nutrients a food contains in comparison to the number of calories. A food is more nutrient dense when the level of nutrients is high in relationship to the number of calories the food contains. "

How do you define "amount of nutrients"? You're just shifting the definition. Things get murky when you realize that fat, sugar, protein, fiber, and starch are all nutrients.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member

How do you define "amount of nutrients"? You're just shifting the definition. Things get murky when you realize that fat, sugar, protein, fiber, and starch are all nutrients.

That definition, incidentally, refers to essential nutrients. And I would think the common understanding of nutrient density is that it refers to micronutrients and particularly those that are more rare. That's just my take.
  • Dragonwolf

I admit I'm tired of the lifestyle preachers generally here, but I can't believe how panty-knotted people get about their diets. It's worse than religion or politics sometimes.

So what does "extra careful" mean, exactly? I understand it in the context that veg*ns need to, because they have to actually work out what plants have what amino acids, so they can make sure they're getting them all (arguably not that difficult, but can take a little education beyond the usual nutrition information education), and they have to go out of their way to get reliable sources of B-12. However, in the context of Paleo, it's not even as hard as the protein thing with veg*ns. It's no different than anyone else trying to eat healthy by doing things like building better salads (spinach and kale instead of iceburg lettuce, etc). The only difference is that grains, legumes, and possibly dairy aren't part of the equation. The spinach alone will get you the calcium, fiber, and other nutrients that all three of the cut out foods provided.

Your original comment was moderated, yes, though PaleoPath4Lyfe and I both disagree that it's 100% correct. Your response to PaleoPath4Lyfe, however, came off as snide and rather defensive (moreso than their initial response, IMO). It's the response in which you start calling people names that I was referring to.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    I find it interesting the arguing over an epidemiological study that proves nothing. There were no controls adopted for any of the groups. It was basically, I'm a vegetarian, I'm a carnivore, I eat everything, and I'm a cannibal! They didn't monitor food or provide the meals. All these studies are for is to possibly create an actual study where they do have more controls to test if the perceived outcome of the epidemiological study holds water.