Everything in moderation

Options

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    All of that sounds lovely and I wish I were able to do it...

There are certain things I just cannot have in my house, ice cream being one of them. I bought frozen yogurt this week and the gallon was gone in 4 days.

Some people are seemingly unable to control themselves when it comes to certain "trigger foods". In theory everything in moderation sounds fabulous, but in practice it's not always best for everyone.

You wouldn't tell an alcoholic to enjoy a couple beers in moderation, would you? I'd hope not...

Rubbish. Alcohol is a drug, an addictive substance, food is not.

Anyone can eat in moderation if you physically serve yourself reasonable portions of food.

Comments like this really irritate me. People with an alcohol addiction, or a drug addiction, receive sympathy and help. People that have an eating disorder such an anorexia or bulimia, receive sympathy and help. Turn that eating disorder round though, and make it someone that has a binge eating disorder, and suddenly that person doesn't deserve sympathy and help. In too many cases, they are just labelled as greedy or lacking self-control.

As someone that suffers from binge eating, I can't have certain foods in the house. Sometimes the whole 'eat it in moderation' thing works, but sometimes it doesn't. And if I do have a bit of an emotional munch, having the stuff readily available in the house is not good. Having to physically drive to the supermarket to buy things for my binge gives me a chance to put that in perspective.

To the OP; demonizing food on this forum is a problem, but so is the 'this is what works for me and so you should all do it' approach that so many here seem to have. You included.

If food weren't an issue, groups like Overeater's Anonymous wouldn't exist. Binge Eating Disorder is an actual eating disorder and it's in the DSM and probably the ICD. It's a real issue and I understand why you are offended.

I've had eating disorders from anorexia, to bulimia to overeating. I know what you're talking about and I can see that the ignorance on the topic can be infuriating.

However, some people just aren't educated on the matter, and that isn't their fault. Some people don't believe any mental illness exists; those people are also infuriating, but there is no arguing with them.

I can't keep problem foods around either. If I become depressed, the only thing that makes me happy is food and no, I DON'T have control over it. I also have recurring episodes of depression so it's an issue.

So I understand "no moderation" on certain foods. I do that as well! I don't know if I'll ever eat french fries again. If that's what it takes to keep me at a healthy weight, that's what I'll do!

I'm glad it works for some people! That's fantastic. But there literally are people that CAN NOT do this without going overboard. If they could, they wouldn't have a diagnosable mental illness.

/rant.

Rubbish. Next you will be saying 'lack of willpower' is some form of disorder or disease. It isnt, by the way. Binge eating disorder in the way that people excuse themselves for is not a medical term. It is a cosy excuse for why they are so overweight - 'not my fault. I have a disorder'. The regular person does not have a disorder.
  • eldamiano
    Options
    I have to totally agree with tennisdude2004's post:

"What may be addictive to one person may not be to another. Hence why most of the population can function normally whilst including alcohol into their lives and others cannot.

Seems a bit strange that we cannot accept that food can be addictive."

There is lots of research on food addiction from reputable sources on the internet that addresses just this issue. Some people are able to keep a pint of vodka, for example, in their liquor cabinet and are able to have a drink or two periodically and not consume the entire bottle in one sitting just as some people are able to have a bag of Reese's peanut butter cups in their pantry and only consume one and not feel compelled to eat the entire bag in one sitting. Personally (and this is just my opinion), both of these things equate to an addiction.

Food is not addictive. We are born and start consuming food. We are educated in various ways by parents, schools and others and are given habits about eating. A baby boy is not born hooked on the food he/she eats. It just becomes a habit which varies between people to other extremes

Drugs on the other hand are addictive. People are not born with a drug/tobacco addiction, just like they arent born with a food addiction. However, they try tobacco for the first time and they can be addicted because of the substance. Sugar for example isnt addictive. People dont eat bags of plain sugar to satisfy their 'addiction'. They eat other sugary foods simply because they have bad habits and they tell their own self they need more.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

"What may be addictive to one person may not be to another. Hence why most of the population can function normally whilst including alcohol into their lives and others cannot.

There is lots of research on food addiction from reputable sources on the internet that addresses just this issue. Some people are able to keep a pint of vodka, for example, in their liquor cabinet and are able to have a drink or two periodically and not consume the entire bottle in one sitting just as some people are able to have a bag of Reese's peanut butter cups in their pantry and only consume one and not feel compelled to eat the entire bag in one sitting. Personally (and this is just my opinion), both of these things equate to an addiction.

Food is not addictive. We are born and start consuming food. We are educated in various ways by parents, schools and others and are given habits about eating. A baby boy is not born hooked on the food he/she eats. It just becomes a habit which varies between people to other extremes

Drugs on the other hand are addictive. People are not born with a drug/tobacco addiction, just like they arent born with a food addiction. However, they try tobacco for the first time and they can be addicted because of the substance. Sugar for example isnt addictive. People dont eat bags of plain sugar to satisfy their 'addiction'. They eat other sugary foods simply because they have bad habits and they tell their own self they need more.

Anything can be addictive - even derp!

The problem isn't the thing that is addictive but the person addicted to it. Why is that so hard to comprehend.
  • eldamiano
    Options

The problem isn't the thing that is addictive but the person addicted to it. Why is that so hard to comprehend.

Because it is a load of crap. The reason that people are overweight is due to lack of willpower. Lack of willpower comes from the person, but this is not an addiction. This is just a cultural/social thing, not a medical case.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Because it is a load of crap. The reason that people are overweight is due to lack of willpower. Lack of willpower comes from the person, but this is not an addiction. This is just a cultural/social thing, not a medical case.

And you know because you have spoken to and diagnosed everyone over weight! that must be the case because that is the only way you can make that statement without it sounding stupid - and you don't come across as stupid.

p.s. sarcasm is definitely addictive.
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options

You don't get addicted to something by trying it once.

And yes people do eat bags of plain sugar. I have done this. Stood with a bag of sugar and a spoon. Just because it is not in your experience doesn't make it not true. If you close your eyes the world still exists.

I don't really understand this mentality of 'you must do what I do' or 'this is the one true path' that the OP is pushing. Why not live and let live? Realise that different things work for different people. Why the need to ram your own way of eating down other people's throats?
  • eldamiano
    Options

And you know because you have spoken to and diagnosed everyone over weight! that must be the case because that is the only way you can make that statement without it sounding stupid - and you don't come across as stupid.

Yeah, chum. That old 'you havent spoke to a million people so you cant judge'. Use your noggin a bit.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I've known people that found it much easier to give up tobacco and other drugs than over eating.
    I was addicted to Tramadol for a bit (didn't even realise until I stopped taking it - the 'cold turkey' symptoms such as no sleep, under-skin itching and so on made it clear it was a real physical addiction). Got myself off that easily.
    So, just because something isn't physically addictive doesn't mean it's easier to break the addiction than something that is.
  • eldamiano
    Options

And yes people do eat bags of plain sugar. I have done this. Stood with a bag of sugar and a spoon. Just because it is not in your experience doesn't make it not true. If you close your eyes the world still exists.

I don't really understand this mentality of 'you must do what I do' or 'this is the one true path' that the OP is pushing. Why not live and let live? Realise that different things work for different people. Why the need to ram your own way of eating down other people's throats?

Have I discussed how I eat? I could be just overweight and admit that I am gluttonous.... and not addicted. This is perhaps would lead me to weight loss and not sobbing over my non-existent addiction, because food isnt addictive.

When one decides to cook a large dinner for themselves and then sticks something else on the side just for good measure, that is not addiction but greed. I would happily admit this.

'you must do what I do' - eating in moderation is actually what pretty much every single doctor recommends.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Yeah, chum. That old 'you havent spoke to a million people so you cant judge'. Use your noggin a bit.

I would agree that a majority of people having issues with over eating is due to will power, however using my noggin (as I like to do from time to time), I would suggest that a percentage and yes it may be small, but a percentage will have issues with food addiction.

I really do not believe that the principles are much different from alcohol. Alcohol may have a stronger fix on people with addictive personalities.

In my life I have known hundreds of people who drink alcohol, of those people I only know of 2 that were alcoholics - based on that ratio I should believe that alcohol is not addictive (those 2 people just lacked will power to give it up). I have a broader mind set than that and certainly believe that alcohol is addictive.
  • eldamiano
    Options

I would agree that a majority of people having issues with over eating is due to will power, however using my noggin (as I like to do from time to time), I would suggest that a percentage and yes it may be small, but a percentage will have issues with food addiction.

I really do not believe that the principles are much different from alcohol. Alcohol may have a stronger fix on people with addictive personalities.

In my life I have known hundreds of people who drink alcohol, of those people I only know of 2 that were alcoholics - based on that ratio I should believe that alcohol is not addictive (those 2 people just lacked will power to give it up). I have a broader mind set than that and certainly believe that alcohol is addictive.

Fine, and alcohol or tobacco are drugs and so by nature addictive. Fat as a substance isnt a drug and addictive. Despite this, people self-diagnose themselves with an addiction to it, where as really they have a lack of willpower.
  • pommychic
    pommychic Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I do keto, but I'm not a jerk about it. I don't think everyone should do what I do. I just know it works for me. However, every so often I have candy, or cake. I don't deprive myself of foods, but at the same time I also know that carb-heavy foods make me feel like crap.

You do what works for you and I'll do what works for me. :flowerforyou:

I completely agree!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

Are you applying this philosophy to every single overweight person in existance? If so, you are incredibly judgmental and close-minded.
  • mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    OP - I agree. I have yo-yo dieted for YEARS because almost all of them tell you no fat, no sugar, no anything that you actually enjoy.. so I fell off the wagon. Now, this time around I just eat whatever I want to (just not a whole bag). In the early days I could easily plow through a WHOLE BAG of potato chips or an entire carton of ice cream. I can still enjoy both now but I find myself grabbing a handful of chips (which is measured out on my food scale to be an ounce) or a cup of ice cream with no problem. And other posters have mentioned a "forbidden fruit" mentality & they're completely right..Once I know "I can eat whatever I please" the urge goes away and that's that. Before we found out about the baby I was walking/running almost every day and eating something sugary here and there but still managed to lose weight. My friends wanted to know what diet, pills, drops I was using to be able to eat that slice of chocolate cake and still lose weight & I just said you can eat whatever you want just eat one or two and call it a day. Not a whole lot of positive responses or closed mouths.. but hey, if it works I'm not stopping!
  • chubbybword123
    chubbybword123 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • elbaldwin0525
    elbaldwin0525 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    AMEN!
    SMH

Now another person new to the forums is going to run to the market and stock up on cookies, icecream, soda and chips, all because they were told they could and SHOULD eat them in moderation.

2 months from now they are going to be just as frustrated as they were the day they started MFP.

Some people have to learn new behaviors and get their weight and body fat down to a point that they understand what will happen to them if they binge and know it is not worth it.

Until that day comes, they need to cut the foods out of their life they are incapable of moderating.

To shame people that can not moderate food is bullying them.......period.........some of us have things we are incapable of moderating, and we have to abstain from them. I have not died yet from not having a drink of alcohol in 6 years or a bag of Costco cashew pumpkin clusters.....cant moderate them....and I am not ashamed of that fact.
  • kuolo
    Options

Have I discussed how I eat? I could be just overweight and admit that I am gluttonous.... and not addicted. This is perhaps would lead me to weight loss and not sobbing over my non-existent addiction, because food isnt addictive.

When one decides to cook a large dinner for themselves and then sticks something else on the side just for good measure, that is not addiction but greed. I would happily admit this.

'you must do what I do' - eating in moderation is actually what pretty much every single doctor recommends.

Sorry I don't actually understand what you are trying to say!

What have doctors got to do with it? I was disagreeing with the OP's mentality of telling everyone they must do what he does, i.e.: "They NEED to add this food to their week." " Eat the ****ing food and enjoy it in moderation" "This type of mentality SHOULD be used" "All of that is total Bull****!" - yet at the same time saying "All over this forum I see people demonizing food and activities." - yet what he is actually doing is demonising any other way of eating than what he suggests.

I have no problem with his way of eating, and I can understand that it can be effective for a lot of people who have long-term weight/overeating issues. But no-one can say something is effective for every single person in the world, end of. And I have a problem when people try to tell other people they MUST do the same as them.

ETA: here are two links, the first is one of the reasons why I don't believe moderation is the answer (like one person said, the food creates the craving), the second for those who claim that food issues can have no similarities to addiction.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1742-7843.2005.pto_179.x/full
    “Palatable food, i.e. food rich in fat and sugar, up-regulates the expression of hunger signals and satiety signals, at the same time blunting the response to satiety signals and activating the reward system. Hence, palatable food offsets normal appetite regulation, which may explain the increasing problem of obesity worldwide.” – Why it can be counter-productive to eat small quantities of certain foods if you have a weight problem, as these foods disrupt your system, and without them your system would go back to 'normal'.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24500676
    "Similar neurobiological features are present following administration of drugs and bingeing on palatable food, especially sugar. Specifically, both disorders involve increases in extracellular dopamine (DA), D1 binding, D3 messenger RNA (mRNA), and ΔFosB in the nucleus accumbens (NAc). Animal models of BN reveal increases in ventral tegmental area (VTA) DA and enzymes involved in DA synthesis that resemble changes observed after exposure to addictive drugs. Additionally, alterations in the expression of glutamate receptors and prefrontal cortex activity present in human BN or following sugar bingeing in animals are comparable to the effects of addictive drugs.
    Although additional empirical studies are necessary, the synthesis of the two bodies of research presented here suggests that BN shares many neurobiological features with drug addiction."
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options

Sorry I don't actually understand what you are trying to say!

What have doctors got to do with it? I was disagreeing with the OP's mentality of telling everyone they must do what he does, i.e.: "They NEED to add this food to their week." " Eat the ****ing food and enjoy it in moderation" "This type of mentality SHOULD be used" "All of that is total Bull****!" - yet at the same time saying "All over this forum I see people demonizing food and activities." - yet what he is actually doing is demonising any other way of eating than what he suggests.

I have no problem with his way of eating, and I can understand that it can be effective for a lot of people who have long-term weight/overeating issues. But no-one can say something is effective for every single person in the world, end of. And I have a problem when people try to tell other people they MUST do the same as them.

I'm coming at this for longevity reasons.
    If you generally have a stress free lifestyle where you sleep well, eat the food you enjoy, move like a human being, and are generally in good spirits, you'll live longer!

Eat the food you enjoy in moderation
    **** in moderation
    Workout in moderation
    Drink in moderation (if you aren't an alcoholic)
    Smoke dope in moderation (if its legal where you live)
    Play video games in moderation
    Do paleo in moderation
    Keto in moderation
    Atkins in moderation
    whatever in moderation

I think if you really dissect whats unfolded here, you'll see a large number of people who are happier in their lives because of this, and a lot of discourse with folks who don't believe its true for them. Hopefully lifting a mirror to look at who you truly are and how you feel about things in your life, you can decide if something truly belongs or will bring happiness.
    I'm happy with Ben and Jerry's, Oreo cookies and other junk foods. Do I eat just these foods? Nope! i eat a ton of organic food, grass fed meat, organic farm fresh eggs, and a whole slew of whole foods. I train 3x a week and look like I'm in my mid 20s. I've arrested my ADD systems with this type of lifestyle and i'm getting "A's" in school because of it.
    I'm happy.

For those who have discourse with what i've said, challenge yourself and ask yourself "Why do I have an issue with being moderate wit these lifestyle choices."

Don't get pissed at me for holding up that mirror folks.
    It's up to you how YOU act and how YOU decide to take the information.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    I don't enjoy moderate amounts of the food I crave. Moderate amounts just makes me cranky and cravy. I find it more pleasant to avoid that the vast majority of the time. And people find me more pleasant to be around when I do avoid that.
  • kuolo
    Options

For those who have discourse with what i've said, challenge yourself and ask yourself "Why do I have an issue with being moderate wit these lifestyle choices."

I think I've explained why I don't want to follow your personal lifestyle choices: it doesn't work for me. I am happy with my own choices. You're implying that my answer is insufficient.