How to start a juice cleanse?

Options

Replies

• awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Okay if I knew everyone was going to be a ****ing *kitten* about this, I wouldn't have asked.

If you would have used the search button you probably wouldn't have asked either. Saves a lot of heartache.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Why pay that much for a good quality juicer for just three days, you can try eating the fruits/veggies you would be juicing.

I agree. What is the difference between eating a whole carrot, or mashing up said carrot and drinking it? At least with eating a carrot, with the crunch and texture and everything, I might feel a bit of satisfaction after eating it. If I drank my carrot, I'd still be hungry, and if I drank all my carrots, I'd be spending a lot of unnecessary time in the bathroom. I don't understand how this is productive.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Okay if I knew everyone was going to be a ****ing *kitten* about this, I wouldn't have asked.
    Welcome to MFP. Most of these people have so much food industry propaganda ingrained in their minds, they just simply don't know anything else. Anything they know little or nothing about, they pretend they are experts, and will tell you to avoid.

If you want to do a juice fast, go ahead. The most important things to remember, are use fresh juice. Nothing from a bottle. And plan your POST fast diet! That is the most important part! If you go back to eating crap food, you will be doing yourself no favors.

u9fVpSi.gif

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If you buy a juicer, please fill it with a ham... and maybe some cheese. Then videotape the results for us, cause I'm really dying to know.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I'm not certain what you mean by cleanse...but we have a Ninja juicer which you can get on Amazon for $99.00. This blender can actually make almond milk out of almonds. (I've never tried it, but someone on Amazon did.)

The trick to juicing on your own is to search the net for some good recipes. I've made the mistakes of just stuffing raw spinach, etc., in there an ending up with undrinkable slug.

My favorite juicer recipe is one 16 oz can of organic pumpkin, 4 cups of almond milk, cinnamon and Stevia. Incredibly filling without making you feel overstuffed.

Another favorite device I like is the Hamilton Beach steamer (the two tier which is about 30 bucks on Amazon.) Can put two layers of raw veggies (e.g., carrots on the bottom closer to the steam) and cauliflower on the top (since they steam more fully more quickly), and make some tasty steamed veggies if you toss on some spices (I like oregano.)

Now, every now and then when I feel that I just need to take a break, I'm very stressed and I know I'm going to make very bad choices or I just need to reboot, I'll do a 3 day program of the stuff I described above....it just seems to get me out of a bad pattern or get me started on a good one.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to start a 3 day cleanse next week and I'm just wondering what would be the best way to go about it? I love drinking Suja Juices but they can get expensive. Should I invest in a juicer? How much juice would I need to drink a day?

You can paypal me the money and I'll give you nothing - because that's exactly what the cleanse will do for you.
    Can I get in on that?
  • kprangernix07
    kprangernix07 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Woowwww….. OK people are jerks.

While I agree, a hard-core cleanse where all you drink is juice is not necessary…. I juice frequently, and often sub my breakfast for some green juice. It makes your body more alkaline, and hence makes you feel better / has SOME detoxifying affects.

…I'm still appalled at how a$$holish people are to you. oy vey.

I have the Omega nutrition center 8006… on sale right now for $300. Now before all you haters say to pay pal you the money cuz it's not worth it… I will say do your research. If you're not gonna be hard core about juicing, you can go pick up a centrifugal juicer for like 40-60$. But I bought this bad boy, because not only does it have an auger that extracts more juice (thus more economical and less waste in the long run) but it also converts to grind grain, and make nut butters (without all the preservatives!!! PLUS!)

Honestly I'm in love with my juicer, and I often make green juice in the morning consisting of: 4 big leaves of kale, 2 stalks of celery, 1/3 a cucumber, 1 green apple, 1/2 a lemon, and 1/3 inch of peeled ginger - you can play with it and omit the ginger or lemon if you don't like them. Then I add ground flax seed and ice to the finished product, and viola!!! It's AMAZING. If you're not used to drinking veggie juice, I might ease in with an orange-carrot blend… or just add a lot of apples to your first few batches.

Juicing is great for you, and an easy way to get alkaline and veggies in your diet. Just remember you aren't getting the fiber and volume…. so you may feel hungry again in 2 hours. For this reason, I will say again…. think about it before you do a full up juice cleanse. There's no way I can go on just juice like this for more than 1/2 a day without a headache and feeling woozy. It's a great substitute to a healthy diet! :)
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Nature has it's own way of cleansing you.
    It's called Norovirus.
    Rinse and repeat as necessary.
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    edit
  • kprangernix07
    kprangernix07 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    …I forgot to mention… don't keep fresh juiced "juice" in an open container… or really for longer than a day or so in the fridge. It loses nutrients as soon as you juice it.

Check out Chris Karr's book: "Crazy Sexy Diet" - it's one of the things that inspired me to start juicing! :)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    In...

To find out how our current knowledge of the existence and functioning of the liver and kidneys is just propaganda.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. Most of these people have so much food industry propaganda ingrained in their minds, they just simply don't know anything else. Anything they know little or nothing about, they pretend they are experts, and will tell you to avoid.

If you want to do a juice fast, go ahead. The most important things to remember, are use fresh juice. Nothing from a bottle. And plan your POST fast diet! That is the most important part! If you go back to eating crap food, you will be doing yourself no favors.

Yeah! Big pharm, Monsanto and McDonald's are out to brainwash us! The food industry is all about making sure we don't spend money on merchandise and cleanses! WAKE UP SHEEPLE.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    No need to deprive your system of nutrients for three days.
    Fresh juice has a lot more nutrients than a lot of food people are eating these days.
    It's vitamin-filled sugar water.

Eat fruit and vegetables. Get fiber. Eat some protein, too, while you're at it.

Hey! A balanced diet!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Woowwww….. OK people are jerks.

While I agree, a hard-core cleanse where all you drink is juice is not necessary…. I juice frequently, and often sub my breakfast for some green juice. It makes your body more alkaline, and hence makes you feel better / has SOME detoxifying affects.

How exactly does it make your body more alkaline? Also, what toxins does it get rid of? Be specific and use science. Please and thank you.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Oh goody. Another juice cleanse post.

Don't we have these every other day or so?

OP, eat less, exercise more and you will not need to cleanse. Actually, you never need to cleanse. Now if you LIKE the taste of these juices and you're drinking them because they are yummy, then by all means, drink them.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Go to the search tab and enter ' juice cleanse'.

Step 2: Search for success threads from people doing said cleanse.

Step 3: Eat lunch.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    wait i'll get popcorn

JUICE IT!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Welcome to MFP. They already created a post to mock you.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1245246-how-to-not-start-a-juice-cleanse

Don't you just love this place? Tell them you want to go low carb, it really brings the trolls out. :grumble:
    Try using the dreaded "V" word around here. People are very against nutrients around here, unless they are isolated, then they are apparently OK.