How to start a juice cleanse?

Options

Replies

• sunship
    sunship Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    juice is good food, in moderation, and in complement to a healthy diet.

but but but but.....

........juice isn't food.

umm --

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/food
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Why is OK to use the discovery of others and the study of science to;

Power our homes
    Propel our cars
    Defy gravity and fly internationally
    Save our lives with paramedics
    Allow us to communicate and share ideas globally via this very forum

But not to decide if a juice cleanse works or not?

Because if you have never spent $300 on a juicer, watched a stupid documentary/sales pitch, spent $50 on vegetables to extract a cup of brownish juice, drank it, and then felt like killing yourself afterwards, you have no idea what you're talking about. YOU ONLY KNOW PROPAGANDA!

:sick:
    I spent less than half that, and i have gotten more than my money's worth out of my juicer.

I've never, ever made a brownish juice, maybe someone pooped in your glass the one time you tried it? It must be if you felt like you were killing yourself afterwards. I always feel GREAT after juicing.

And who are these people who have never heard of gardening? Why does everyone claim veggies are so expensive? They are FREE, half the year, if you do it right.

Well, maybe for you. But MANY people across the US (and world, for that matter) live in areas where it is not conducive to gardening. At least not on a scale where ALL of their fruit and veg would come from a privately owned and grown garden. An example is I have a friend who lives in PA -- her bylaws in her community forbid it because it can lure in wild animals. Another friend lives in Vegas where the land is sandy and would cost a small fortune to keep it watered. Yet another lives in CO (and another in ALaska) and the growing season is short. Where I live, the ground is not always the best condition even though I try. I still don't yield enough to eat even for a short period. Not to mention, many folks don't have the flexible schedules to be able to do it. It's not like the old days where a work day was closer to 8hrs and women stayed at home. Or livings were made on farms -- many of which didn't even grow readily edible food, but rather things like cotton, tobacco, or whatever. People these days live in apartments, or are in the military, or they just flat out don't like gardening. These things have to be taken into consideration.

I second this. I live in a small townhouse with a tiny patio directly under a huge oak tree. I tried to plant a small garden one year, and there was not enough sunshine, and my plants died :( I don't think my HOA would appreciate it very much if I chopped down that tree in order to give my garden more direct sunlight.

That being said, had my vegetables plants survived and produced multitudes of delicious, homegrown vegetables, I would NOT have wasted them in a juicer. I would have enjoyed them as part of a balanced diet. I may have even fried the okra.

D@mn it! Now I want fried okra! And maybe a steak. YUM. This with the salad... sans the chicken and add some goat cheese... OHHHHH YEAHHHHH
  • kprangernix07
    kprangernix07 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Power our homes
    Propel our cars

Because if you have never spent $300 on a juicer, watched a stupid documentary/sales pitch, spent $50 on vegetables to extract a cup of brownish juice, drank it, and then felt like killing yourself afterwards, you have no idea what you're talking about. YOU ONLY KNOW PROPAGANDA!

I spent less than half that, and i have gotten more than my money's worth out of my juicer.

I've never, ever made a brownish juice, maybe someone pooped in your glass the one time you tried it? It must be if you felt like you were killing yourself afterwards. I always feel GREAT after juicing.

And who are these people who have never heard of gardening? Why does everyone claim veggies are so expensive? They are FREE, half the year, if you do it right.

Well, maybe for you. But MANY people across the US (and world, for that matter) live in areas where it is not conducive to gardening. At least not on a scale where ALL of their fruit and veg would come from a privately owned and grown garden. An example is I have a friend who lives in PA -- her bylaws in her community forbid it because it can lure in wild animals. Another friend lives in Vegas where the land is sandy and would cost a small fortune to keep it watered. Yet another lives in CO (and another in ALaska) and the growing season is short. Where I live, the ground is not always the best condition even though I try. I still don't yield enough to eat even for a short period. Not to mention, many folks don't have the flexible schedules to be able to do it. It's not like the old days where a work day was closer to 8hrs and women stayed at home. Or livings were made on farms -- many of which didn't even grow readily edible food, but rather things like cotton, tobacco, or whatever. People these days live in apartments, or are in the military, or they just flat out don't like gardening. These things have to be taken into consideration.

You should check this out:

http://www.treehugger.com/sustainable-product-design/kitchen-nano-garden-hydroponic-hyundai.html

It's a great alternative! :) You can make anything happen if you want it bad enough!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Power our homes
    Propel our cars

I second this. I live in a small townhouse with a tiny patio directly under a huge oak tree. I tried to plant a small garden one year, and there was not enough sunshine, and my plants died :( I don't think my HOA would appreciate it very much if I chopped down that tree in order to give my garden more direct sunlight.

That being said, had my vegetables plants survived and produced multitudes of delicious, homegrown vegetables, I would NOT have wasted them in a juicer. I would have enjoyed them as part of a balanced diet. I may have even fried the okra.

D@mn it! Now I want fried okra! And maybe a steak. YUM. This with the salad... sans the chicken and add some goat cheese... OHHHHH YEAHHHHH

Aw yisss. And ice cream for dessert. How YOU doin'?

:flowerforyou:
  • Jewlz280
    Options

Power our homes
    Propel our cars

Aw yisss. And ice cream for dessert. How YOU doin'?

:flowerforyou:

WITH BROWNIES. Cause husband made brownies and they would be lonely if I only ate ice cream...
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Sadly, it's become so predictable. The MAJORITY of people (I was going to say chicks, but I'm tryong to be nicer to my gender) who look into cleansing normally don't want to do real work, such as healthy eating, food preparation and real exercise.

There will always be bridges to sell and buyers for said bridges.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. People are looking for the magical cure to being fat when there is only ONE magical cure: Eat less, move more. It's all very simple but people make themselves think it has to be more complicated than it really is. They feel like if they're not suffering in this weight loss thing then it's not working.

You don't have to suffer. You don't have to pay an exorbitant amount of money. You don't need fancy equipment. You don't have to starve. Just eat less and move more.
  • patticakes69
    Options
    First off figure out what type of fast you need. Seasonally it's not a bad thing to do -- spring, summer, fall & winter. Are you too acidic? Sluggish system? Detox? There are as many cleanses out there as symptoms.

If you can, find a good naturopath in your area and have that person lead you in the fast. The knowledge and assistance that person should give is very helpful.

Good Luck!
  • Jewlz280
    Options

Power our homes
    Propel our cars

http://www.treehugger.com/sustainable-product-design/kitchen-nano-garden-hydroponic-hyundai.html

It's a great alternative! :) You can make anything happen if you want it bad enough!

*shrugs* Not really. Things like this don't take into account space and energy. While it may SEEM like a good idea, it would have to run for about 14hrs. or so a day -- on electricity. Making it pricey. Not to mention the cost of the actual unit. In the end, it would be cheaper and more efficient to just buy it. That is why modern technology is so wonderful and we can get things like pineapples all over the place instead of just the tropics.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

Power our homes
    Propel our cars

*shrugs* Not really. Things like this don't take into account space and energy. While it may SEEM like a good idea, it would have to run for about 14hrs. or so a day -- on electricity. Making it pricey. Not to mention the cost of the actual unit. In the end, it would be cheaper and more efficient to just buy it. That is why modern technology is so wonderful and we can get things like pineapples all over the place instead of just the tropics.

Science only lasted for one reply :(
  • kprangernix07
    kprangernix07 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Cheap, fast, or good quality. Pick two!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I've made the mistakes of just stuffing raw spinach, etc., in there an ending up with undrinkable slug.

with the right juicer, all greens, spinach included, is fantastic.

i presently juice kale / spinach / collard greens / radishes / dandelion greens / cilantro and carrot, tops included.

don't forget to go all organic, lest you ingest more pesticides.

news flash..organic vegetables are treated with pesticides...

if you read what i wrote, i said going non-organic would ingest more pesticides (than organic).

never implied or stated organic wasn't treated with petsicides.

that is all.

umm slightly confusing as you said you would ingest less pesticides with organics....but how would one know that non-organics have more or less pesticides than organics...???
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    toss a bunch of taco bell into a blender and turn on high. Drink.. and prepare to cleanse.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options

but but but but.....

umm --

Did you just debunk your own argument?

1. any nourishing substance that is eaten, drunk, or otherwise taken into the body to sustain life, provide energy, promote growth, etc.

2.more or less solid nourishment, as distinguished from liquids.

3.a particular kind of solid nourishment

I may be crazy, but you can't sustain life on Juice.... Doctors agree: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/04/20/crash.diets.harm.health/index.html

Peace!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've made the mistakes of just stuffing raw spinach, etc., in there an ending up with undrinkable slug.

i presently juice kale / spinach / collard greens / radishes / dandelion greens / cilantro and carrot, tops included.

if you read what i wrote, i said going non-organic would ingest more pesticides (than organic).

that is all.

umm slightly confusing as you said you would ingest less pesticides with organics....but how would one know that non-organics have more or less pesticides than organics...???

You at least know that there are no synthetic pesticides if the label says organic (in the US). And that you are not contributing to the systematic annihilation of the honeybee.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

that is all.

You at least know that there are no synthetic pesticides if the label says organic (in the US). And that you are not contributing to the systematic annihilation of the honeybee.

that was not really my question but thanks for chiming in ...
  • sunship
    sunship Posts: 59 Member
    Options

but but but but.....

umm --

1. any nourishing substance that is eaten, drunk, or otherwise taken into the body to sustain life, provide energy, promote growth, etc.

I may be crazy, but you can't sustain life on Juice.... Doctors agree: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/04/20/crash.diets.harm.health/index.html

Peace!

i was going with definition #1 --

-- and to me, juice is GOOD FOOD -- :)

i've been juicing for many years, as a supplement to my diet, and i really love it.

enjoy!
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options

i've been juicing for many years, as a supplement to my diet, and i really love it.

enjoy!

Well, it's a good partner with food... I'll give you that!
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Re: Pumpkin smoothies.

They are awesome (I tried to quote the prior post but couldn't edit it.)

If you're more inclined to prep, freezing the pumpkin into ice cubes and then putting them into cold almond milk is terrific.

When I have the craving for something that seems positively decadent, but isn't and packed with nutrients..this is my go to.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

but but but but.....

umm --

Peace!

enjoy!

I see no problem with fresh juice as a supplement/complement to an overall reasonable diet. Sure, I still don't think it's *necessary*, but certainly not problematic (and *almost* as healthy as eating the entire fruit/vegetable). (Personally, I've frequently included smoothies in my diet, especially during the local harvest season.)

However, OP isn't asking about adding juice to their diet. They're asking about having nothing but juice for three days for purposes of, uh, I'm not really sure. And asking how much she would need to drink implies she is expecting some kind of benefit at some kind of minimum amount of juice, a benefit of which I don't think is supported by science.
  • Dreamsfly
    Dreamsfly Posts: 10
    Options
    Cleansing is very good for the body. It has been done for centuries. There are benefits to rid the body of toxic build up. It is not meant to be long term. It is a good way to start each season as well.
    It wasn't meant for losing permanent weight. It is about detoxifying the system so it works best. Depends on what type of cleanse you do, depends on how long you need to do it to have the maximum advantages.
    Please, those whom are saying it's not good, get educated.