Help! I need a fast weight loss plan

Options

Replies

• Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    As I previously said I didnt realize it was unhealthy, its what Im doing & its only 200 less calories then what mfp recommends so I thought it was fine.. simply saying ya know I think your doing things all wrong & are uninformed would have been sufficient.

I call BS. MFP tells you that you are undereating if you close out your diary with fewer than 1200 calories.

I didn't know that so tried it and you're right.

However, in huge writing it says a pretty attractive "If every day were like today you would weigh..... IN LARGE BOLDED RED TEXT! Pretty appealing

Then tucked away in small print is the warning of which you spoke

MFP_zps8435bef9.png

I'm pretty sure I would have missed that if I hadn't been looking - really wouldn't have taken much notice
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    As I previously said I didnt realize it was unhealthy, its what Im doing & its only 200 less calories then what mfp recommends so I thought it was fine.. simply saying ya know I think your doing things all wrong & are uninformed would have been sufficient.

I call BS. MFP tells you that you are undereating if you close out your diary with fewer than 1200 calories.

However, in huge writing it says a pretty attractive "If every day were like today you would weigh..... IN LARGE BOLDED RED TEXT! Pretty appealing

MFP_zps8435bef9.png

I'm pretty sure I would have missed that if I hadn't been looking - really wouldn't have taken much notice

Tucked away? That's a whole paragraph, with red lettering in it....
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

MFP_zps8435bef9.png

When I've done it (accidentally), there was also a pop-up.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents:

If you want to eat under 1200 calories and lose weight. Go for it.

Don't come back on the message boards in 2 months crying when you have gained all your weight back from binge eating or just actually eating.
  • Wonderob
    Options

MFP_zps8435bef9.png

It's 'tucked away' because it's small print.

Anyway it's a bit pointless arguing about this.
    You're right - MFP does offer a warning when you go below 1200 calories; however, there is no doubt that it is 'smallprint' as it's literally 4 times smaller than any other typeface on the page. I would miss that for sure so I'm guessing there would be others too

Incidentally although there is a whole paragraph, on the same page there is also a whole paragraph in much bigger lettering offering me Accredited Nutritionist course which I also missed. As I did the advert for online shoes, the list of related ads and the large advert for Graze.com. There's a whole series of links at the bottom that I have never seen before too. I have seen the Water Consumption section but I always ignore that. Maybe I'm not very observant

But like I said, no arguments, you said it was there and it was
  • Wonderob
    Options

MFP_zps8435bef9.png

When I've done it (accidentally), there was also a pop-up.

I didn't get a pop up - maybe it was blocked
  • likitisplit
    Options
    You CAN absolutely lose 15pds in 5 weeks, is it healthy? prob not & it will be hard work but it is possible. You'll need to cut all fried foods, white carbs & sugar & limit your calorie intake to 800-1000 a day (you will be hungry) Your also need to work out 7 days a week for at least a hr..maybe get 30 day shred or t25 & do that for 30 mins & then do the treadmill for another 30.
    7 pounds of it will be fat and the rest will be lean mass. But we don't want to hear how unhealthy this is for you....

This the Op's question not mine, She asked if it was possible & I answered. She already knows its not a healthy way to go,,but maybe losing weight quicky will be a jumpstart for her to lose more in the long run.

So you know and assume the OP knows it's not healthy, but went ahead and advised her how to do it?

*smh*

Am I the only one who sees what's wrong with this? I thought this was My FITNESS Pal? If it is going to be unhealthy, why would you advise it on a Fitness site whose goal for people (regardless if they are here to lose, maintain, or gain) is to be "fit/healthy"?

Do u read her original post? she said she wanted advice on quick weight loss & didnt want to hear responses like its unhealthy dont do it so yes Id assume she knows it may not be the best way to go. I really dont know how healthy or unhealthy it is as Im new to this board myself. But I know its possible & thats what she asked so I answered. Why is everyone so negative.
    I'm enjoying reading the shenanigans in this threads and was mulling over a witty reply for the end but after reading this comment above I will say something now.

First off this is the internet, a public forum. Every single one of us chooses to be here for one reason or another. How vocal an individual is in the community is up to that person. You can like or dislike what someone says but just because you dislike something doesn't make it a rude comment. We could also argue some people are just way to sensitive. As it was stated on the previous page their are a lot of new, easily influenced people on this board every day and other members spreading misconceptions or giving out bad or sometimes just down right terrible advice is not going to serve those new people well. It may look like people gang up on one person when they say something that makes no sense but in reality it's not. It's a bunch of individuals with the same thought process responding similarly but it by no means is an orchestrated attack.

Now the person feeling attacked has options:
    1. Defend their thought process with actual facts and bring forth a meaningful debate.

2. Cry about how everyone is a bully and thank only the ones that support their bad ideas resulting in the inability to learn valuable information due to stubbornness.

3. Get upset and say the won't post again and actually follow through with that threat. Which actually might benefit the new people because they won't have to worry about other members giving them so much bad advice like what happens here daily.

Now to address you directly. You said you assume the OP knows something is bad. Don't assume, some people are smarter than they look and some are not. You said you are not sure if it's healthy or not as you are new to this board yourself. So if you don't know the right approach, why give any advice on the subject at all? It's the blind leading the blind. Don't worry yourself about who's rude and who's not. Toughen up if you're going to come play in the sandbox but gather your thought before hand because it can get rough and mom's not here to put a bandaid on the wound.

To tell the truth, I probably would have eliminated the second part of my reply (the part about not caring how healthy something was) if we weren't already four pages in with increasing levels of advice about how misguided the question was. That's on me.

However, there WERE four pages of advice - if you are new to a site and aren't really experienced, it's probably a good idea to get a feel for some of the other responses before jumping in.

Additionally, you can't say that losing 15 pounds is "probably not healthy" and then defend yourself by saying that you are new and don't know what is healthy or not in the same thread. It just looks stupid. Especially since MFP provides warnings when you attempt to lose more than 2 pounds a week and if you enter fewer than 1200 calories a day. If you are going to lose weight, and especially if you are going to provide advice to others, it behooves you to find out how to do it safely.

I have given incorrect information on MFP in the past. When I've been told (bluntly) that it is incorrect, I try to verify it and acknowledge my mistake.

Once again, I apologize for the shortness of my response to this particular poster. However, I hope she chooses to learn from the exchange (and doesn't post another bully thread).
  • likitisplit
    Options
    You CAN absolutely lose 15pds in 5 weeks, is it healthy? prob not & it will be hard work but it is possible. You'll need to cut all fried foods, white carbs & sugar & limit your calorie intake to 800-1000 a day (you will be hungry) Your also need to work out 7 days a week for at least a hr..maybe get 30 day shred or t25 & do that for 30 mins & then do the treadmill for another 30.
    7 pounds of it will be fat and the rest will be lean mass. But we don't want to hear how unhealthy this is for you....

This the Op's question not mine, She asked if it was possible & I answered. She already knows its not a healthy way to go,,but maybe losing weight quicky will be a jumpstart for her to lose more in the long run.

So you know and assume the OP knows it's not healthy, but went ahead and advised her how to do it?

*smh*

Am I the only one who sees what's wrong with this? I thought this was My FITNESS Pal? If it is going to be unhealthy, why would you advise it on a Fitness site whose goal for people (regardless if they are here to lose, maintain, or gain) is to be "fit/healthy"?

Do u read her original post? she said she wanted advice on quick weight loss & didnt want to hear responses like its unhealthy dont do it so yes Id assume she knows it may not be the best way to go. I really dont know how healthy or unhealthy it is as Im new to this board myself. But I know its possible & thats what she asked so I answered. Why is everyone so negative.
    I'm enjoying reading the shenanigans in this threads and was mulling over a witty reply for the end but after reading this comment above I will say something now.

First off this is the internet, a public forum. Every single one of us chooses to be here for one reason or another. How vocal an individual is in the community is up to that person. You can like or dislike what someone says but just because you dislike something doesn't make it a rude comment. We could also argue some people are just way to sensitive. As it was stated on the previous page their are a lot of new, easily influenced people on this board every day and other members spreading misconceptions or giving out bad or sometimes just down right terrible advice is not going to serve those new people well. It may look like people gang up on one person when they say something that makes no sense but in reality it's not. It's a bunch of individuals with the same thought process responding similarly but it by no means is an orchestrated attack.

Now the person feeling attacked has options:
    1. Defend their thought process with actual facts and bring forth a meaningful debate.

2. Cry about how everyone is a bully and thank only the ones that support their bad ideas resulting in the inability to learn valuable information due to stubbornness.

3. Get upset and say the won't post again and actually follow through with that threat. Which actually might benefit the new people because they won't have to worry about other members giving them so much bad advice like what happens here daily.

Now to address you directly. You said you assume the OP knows something is bad. Don't assume, some people are smarter than they look and some are not. You said you are not sure if it's healthy or not as you are new to this board yourself. So if you don't know the right approach, why give any advice on the subject at all? It's the blind leading the blind. Don't worry yourself about who's rude and who's not. Toughen up if you're going to come play in the sandbox but gather your thought before hand because it can get rough and mom's not here to put a bandaid on the wound.

To tell the truth, I probably would have eliminated the second part of my reply (the part about not caring how healthy something was) if we weren't already four pages in with increasing levels of advice about how misguided the question was. That's on me.

However, there WERE four pages of advice - if you are new to a site and aren't really experienced, it's probably a good idea to get a feel for some of the other responses before jumping in.

Additionally, you can't say that losing 15 pounds is "probably not healthy" and then defend yourself by saying that you are new and don't know what is healthy or not in the same thread. It just looks stupid. Especially since MFP provides warnings when you attempt to lose more than 2 pounds a week and if you enter fewer than 1200 calories a day. If you are going to lose weight, and especially if you are going to provide advice to others, it behooves you to find out how to do it safely.

I have given incorrect information on MFP in the past. When I've been told (bluntly) that it is incorrect, I try to verify it and acknowledge my mistake.

Once again, I apologize for the shortness of my response to this particular poster. However, I hope she chooses to learn from the exchange (and doesn't post another bully thread).
    I agree with you. I'm not sure if my reply showed it but I was directing towards Trishylocks.

I know. It probably wasn't clear from my reply, though ;).

Your response made me consider the pros and cons of mine. I don't 100% agree with "it's the internet, suck it up". I also really, really don't agree with "you are a bully if you call me on bad information". Especially when the person recognizes their info is harmful.

I probably should have scrolled back, but I'm on my phone.

Anyway, Thank You!
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Amputation and cut your head off is not a factual response. It's being ridiculous.
    Losing weight quickly is not "mere inpossible" task, it can be done! By working your *kitten* off, just like with anything in life.
    God, how lazy are we that the best we can come up with is, cut your head off?
    Like JM says "Set your goal than kick it in the face, dont half *kitten* your work out"

Amputating a leg will lose you about 40 pounds.

Doing a juice fast or other VLCD where you lose an equivalent amount of weight will also cause loss of lean mass: muscle, bone density, etc.

The two strategies have very similar results.

Buy a wardrobe full of great fitting, flattering clothes and feel confident in your body. It'll do more for people's perception than giving yourself osteoporosis in an attempt to lower an arbitrary scale number.

I just want to point out that this post works *for me*. By going the extra mile and adding a positive, realistic suggestion it takes what could have come across as being *mean* or *bullying* and takes turns it into something helpful. For the record, I'm not opposed to telling people what they need to hear, I'm not opposed to honesty, and I don't believe in supporting fantastic, unrealistic, or plain ridiculous notions people have. But I think if we keep in mind that many people are coming here with years and lifetimes worth of misinformation, product and diet plan marketing, and bad science all mixed up together. Unlearning all of that and developing a deeper understanding of the whys behind a set of behaviors and attitudes that can really work isn't going to happen overnight. Furthermore, many people will respond negatively if they feel (rightly or wrongly) they are being picked on . If taking a moment to be a little more patient and understanding is such a burden I don't understand why bother responding at all. THAT was the point I was trying to make.

ETA: change word order for clarity

You are so annoying
  • alisonekenny
    alisonekenny Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! I lost 16lbs in 10 weeks using Focus T-25. Ever heard of it?
  • Wonderob
    Options
    Lots of people have gotten uptight on this thread because they have misinterpreted the question

The OP does NOT want to be healthy, she does not want to be fit, she does not want a sustainable diet, she does not want to lose fat and retain muscle. These are all the things that you would want and the responses are reflecting that

She is willing to sacrifice all that so she can look slimmer in front of her 'girlies'. I guess in the hope that some say "Oooh have you lost weight, you look great"

Presumably she has joined just for this 5 week period and will go back to normal after the girly weekend

All the decent, sensible, long term fitness and diet help is not applicable, so don't waste your time

Very short term, non-sustainable, quick fix ideas only with the sole purpose of looking a little skinnier from now on please
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Lots of people have gotten uptight on this thread because they have misinterpreted the question

The OP does NOT want to be healthy, she does not want to be fit, she does not want a sustainable diet, she does not want to lose fat and retain muscle. These are all the things that you would want and the responses are reflecting that

She is willing to sacrifice all that so she can look slimmer in front of her 'girlies'. I guess in the hope that some say "Oooh have you lost weight, you look great"

Presumably she has joined just for this 5 week period and will go back to normal after the girly weekend

All the decent, sensible, long term fitness and diet help is not applicable, so don't waste your time

Very short term, non-sustainable, quick fix ideas only with the sole purpose of looking a little skinnier from now on please

So you've been here for over two years, have over a thousand posts, but don't understand the Community Guidelines yet?

edit: because typo.
  • Wonderob
    Options

So you've been here for over two years, have over a thousand posts, but don't understand the Community Guidelines yet?

edit: because typo.

What makes you think I haven't understood them?
  • likitisplit
    Options

LOL. Nailed it.

But GRRRRR.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    5 weeks you could maybe lose 10-15lbs which you would put right back on plus shipping and handling no doubt. Good luck.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Look into the book "the 17 day diet" .
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    "The human head weighs 10lbs"
    af49e4b4.gif
  • bethwr1
    bethwr1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have several friends who have lost weight on the Duncan diet. I don't think it's a long-term solution for me, and you'll have to find a good balance once you get back to reality, but I totally get the need to feel good for a special event.

In any case, the diet is primarily lean proteins and vegetables. If you follow the diet strictly, it guides you to adding back carbohydrates, celebration meals, etc. over time.

Google it and you'll see the web page.

Good luck!