People suck.

Options

Replies

• dsb188
    dsb188 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    People do suck. I don't really think people realize how comments they make effect people. Its good you stayed strong.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I came in here to tell you to lighten up and live a little, but yeah, the people you work with suck.
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Planned potlucks are my favorite. I will go around and ask what people are planning on bringing (don't want to bring the same thing as someone else, do I?) and when I hear something that sounds good (or that I may be able to fit into my macros), I ask for the recipe. I also plan on bringing two things, one of which is salad. That way, I can sample my pre-logged portions from my recipe collection and have some salad that I can be confident about content. I bring my own salad dressing and allow myself one small dessert. EDIT: I can't eat beef because I can't digest it, so it's a great opener for asking what people are bringing.

Starting out was petrifying for me, so I tended to be more tense about eating something I hadn't researched and logged ahead of time. As time goes on, I'm finding that everything I want to eat can fit into my day if I give it a few minutes of my time ahead of schedule.

Stay strong, but don't be afraid to relax a bit with food events. All will be well.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    So today we had a slightly impromptu potluck and I thought I'd share the results. It was slightly impromptu because I completely forgot about it until last night.

I managed to leave 500 calories in my day, AND I ate the potluck food, AND I didn't have to come to MFP to rant about the stuff your face fest or how horrible people treated me.

I managed all of that by offering to cook something I knew fit into my calories (shredded chicken taco filling with red leaf lettuce wrap), taking small portions of food I had to have, and not taking one of everything. I had a half of a doughnut, a half cup of corn salad, and turned down the queso and chips. No one asked me why I wasn't taking queso, because I was engaging with them, had food on my plate, and didn't act like this was some huge conscious act of sabotage to my diet.

Also, just to note, people not liking what one is doing is NOT a sign of jealousy. I wish people would stop with that.
    Person #1 "That girl said my dress was unflattering."
    Person #2 "Oh nevermind her, she's just jealous you can wear those (bright clashing fugly) prints."
    Person #1 "Oh yeah, totally. Poor loser."

No, she's not jealous. That's really an unflattering dress. But if it makes one feel better when one receives criticism, well, okay then.

Wow, that was hostile.

Straight truth =/= Hostile. Sorry you don't understand it.

Straight truth + snarky sarcasm = Hostile. Sorry you missed that part of charm school.
  • nikkihk
    Options

Me thinks you should look up the definition of 'hostile'. It's called bluntness and snark.

Oh yeah. And truth.

There ya go "sweetheart":

hos·tile
    ˈhästl,ˈhäˌstīl/Submit
    adjective

1.unfriendly; antagonistic.

Yep, sounds about right.
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    So today we had a slightly impromptu potluck and I thought I'd share the results. It was slightly impromptu because I completely forgot about it until last night.

I managed to leave 500 calories in my day, AND I ate the potluck food, AND I didn't have to come to MFP to rant about the stuff your face fest or how horrible people treated me.

I managed all of that by offering to cook something I knew fit into my calories (shredded chicken taco filling with red leaf lettuce wrap), taking small portions of food I had to have, and not taking one of everything. I had a half of a doughnut, a half cup of corn salad, and turned down the queso and chips. No one asked me why I wasn't taking queso, because I was engaging with them, had food on my plate, and didn't act like this was some huge conscious act of sabotage to my diet.

Also, just to note, people not liking what one is doing is NOT a sign of jealousy. I wish people would stop with that.
    Person #2 "Oh nevermind her, she's just jealous you can wear those (bright clashing fugly) prints."

No, she's not jealous. That's really an unflattering dress. But if it makes one feel better when one receives criticism, well, okay then.

Wow, that was hostile.

Straight truth + snarky sarcasm = Hostile. Sorry you missed that part of charm school.

Wow, that was hostile.

Op can have her (low) opinion about whatever. I can too. Lighten up, Francis.
  • nikkihk
    Options

Wow, that was hostile.

Oh I'm sorry internet gangster, I didn't know your opinion HAD to include patronizing her. Good job though, I'm sure you helped.
  • outofworkpediatrician
    Options
    I came in here to tell you to lighten up and live a little, but yeah, the people you work with suck.

^^ this.
    i was going to say exactly the same thing, sometimes it is better to eat a little of the "food fest" to avoid having to explain to every judgmental person! but after reading how your colleagues behaved, i think they deserved more than your polite reserve!
  • tx_chik
    tx_chik Posts: 6
    Options
    If involved in a potluck be the one who brings something healthy. That's what I usually do. Luckily I work with a few awesome ppl and we have each others back.
  • luadams2
    luadams2 Posts: 122
    Options
    Work potlucks. I'm retired and so glad not have to deal with junk fests at the office. I remember them well though!

Yeah, be the one that brings the salad. Have that for lunch with some of the garbage side dishes. Eat the salad and mush the other stuff around while walking around gabbing. A couple of bites of something that really looks good won't hurt your diet too much.

If there's cake, scrape off the frosting and mush it about with the cake. It looks like you''ve been eating it.

Be sure to tell everyone how good everything was. Ask for recipes. Hah.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

Wow, that was hostile.

agreed its unnecessary rudeness. unless she asked the person what she thought about the dress.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    op you either meet them at their level or wait for them to get bored and leave you alone. so many people on this site keep saying take control and if that means taking in your own lunch and sticking to it so be it
  • Paula71jnj
    Paula71jnj Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Its really good you resisted because I'm having a working lunch today and I will not be resisting but I will be taking the healthy option (if there is one). Keep doing what your doing :)
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options

Me thinks you should look up the definition of 'hostile'. It's called bluntness and snark.

Oh yeah. And truth.

There ya go "sweetheart":

hos·tile
    ˈhästl,ˈhäˌstīl/Submit
    adjective

1.unfriendly; antagonistic.

Yep, sounds about right.

Gee, thanks for the fake pet names. Means so much coming from you. What, exactly, is unfriendly about suggesting alternate methods of dealing with a luncheon or suggesting that people aren't jealous. Snark doesn't automatically equal hostile. I don't know if you have an issue with it because you agree with the OP or what, but hostility implies anger and aggression, of which... there's none.

Wow, that was hostile.

Oh I'm sorry internet gangster, I didn't know your opinion HAD to include patronizing her. Good job though, I'm sure you helped.

What's up kettle, meet the pot. Calling someone out for snark and patronizing, and then being snarky and patronizing back.... interesting method of conversation you have here.
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options

Wow, that was hostile.

agreed its unnecessary rudeness. unless she asked the person what she thought about the dress.

Maybe it's all a different of opinion on how you take what people say then? Because if I looked like a moo-cow in something I was wearing, I would hope that someone would be willing to tell me instead of fake kindness and then talking about it behind my back.

But then again, I would rather practice moderation because I know that life doesn't boil down to boiled vegetables for me. Different strokes for different folks!
  • BrownEyedBetty
    BrownEyedBetty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    wow... no offense but your coworkers are *kitten*. Good job staying strong. I work in a hospital and we have free food allllllll the time and it is so hard to not give in but I know being healthy is way more important : )
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i did not read through whole thread here is my contribution ..

they way you described the office lunch is totally snotty ….i own a small business and we have lunches once or twice a month where we buy food and some cake for the employees and we do it as kind of a "thank you" for all their hard work …so lighten up on the criticism of having an "office party" …a lot of places don't give a damn about their employees..

second - the people you work with you are idiots and if someone stuck a plate in my face then I would of given them a five count and then smacked it into their face..

in closing..attitude adjustment on office party ..but your below employees suck ...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    When my office has a luncheon or potluck I don't eat tons and tons of food...I just eat a normal amount of food and enjoy myself. There are some really exceptional cooks at my office and I enjoy their cooking and I can easily manage to hit my calorie goals and macro goals. Portion control is a beautiful thing...you don't have to eat granola bars and diet food and what not to lose weight...you can eat actual food and stuff.

this ….when we have one I will have a little bit of what we have and a tiny piece of cake and fit it into my day …no harm, no foul
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I find it interesting that you are willing to look down on them for their food choices (a perfect example would be how you describe the potluck to begin with) but feel very victimized that they were "looking down" on your choices.

I mean, what horrible people you work with, trying to make the new people feel welcomed and creating a social event that will encourage office morale. How terrible that they would want to be sure you were included.

Instead of sitting on your impossibly high pedestal, why didn't you make something *you* approve of and share it, and maybe educate those heathens on the benefits of clean eating?

But hey, I am sure working yourself up into a lathered rage burns way more calories than getting along with the folks at work.

Sorry, but I am not going to pat you on the back for this one.

Whoa hold on there sally sad face... I think this response was a bit over the line.

1. She didn't look down on anyone for their food choices. She DID however prefer to stick to her diet plan... social hour wasn't important to her as staying dedicated to her goals. Nothing wrong with that at all. Not a single word of her post included, "I told them how horrible their food was for me" or "It wasn't food skinny people eat"... She merely stated it was a all you can eat event she wasn't ready to partake in at this point in her plan. Might not have been great wording.. I'll agree to that.. but she has every right to chose what she will and won't eat.

2. She still attended the event to be social. To be disrespectful would have been to avoid the event entirely.

3. She did make something for herself.. that was what she got criticized for. Yet not many people jib the body builder for his/her protein shakes... but try sure do love to harass the girl trying to just lose unwanted weight.

4. She's not raging at all. Just trying to deal with how difficult this is for everyone who is just starting the process. It happens all the time, it's not new to her situation. People are naturally thrown off when others take interest in bettering their body, it makes them insecure about their own choices and they tend to lash out in response. It is what it is. You can penalize her all you want for it? But it's silly...

I never disagree with you and you are my home girl :) …but here is from the OP…"My office is having a luncheon at work. What's the occasion you ask? We hired 2 new people. Apparently that's a reason to eat tons and tons of food."

IMO it just comes off a little snotty to just say …oh, we hired to people so its an "excuse" to have a gorge fest….

They probably did it to introduce the new people and make them feel at home in their new work environment…

I agree that plate to the face was BS ….but OP kinda comes off as looking down at people her company for providing "a reason to eat tons and tons of food"…just my thoughts...
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options
    I find it interesting that you are willing to look down on them for their food choices (a perfect example would be how you describe the potluck to begin with) but feel very victimized that they were "looking down" on your choices.

I mean, what horrible people you work with, trying to make the new people feel welcomed and creating a social event that will encourage office morale. How terrible that they would want to be sure you were included.

Instead of sitting on your impossibly high pedestal, why didn't you make something *you* approve of and share it, and maybe educate those heathens on the benefits of clean eating?

But hey, I am sure working yourself up into a lathered rage burns way more calories than getting along with the folks at work.

Sorry, but I am not going to pat you on the back for this one.

Whoa hold on there sally sad face... I think this response was a bit over the line.

1. She didn't look down on anyone for their food choices. She DID however prefer to stick to her diet plan... social hour wasn't important to her as staying dedicated to her goals. Nothing wrong with that at all. Not a single word of her post included, "I told them how horrible their food was for me" or "It wasn't food skinny people eat"... She merely stated it was a all you can eat event she wasn't ready to partake in at this point in her plan. Might not have been great wording.. I'll agree to that.. but she has every right to chose what she will and won't eat.

2. She still attended the event to be social. To be disrespectful would have been to avoid the event entirely.

3. She did make something for herself.. that was what she got criticized for. Yet not many people jib the body builder for his/her protein shakes... but try sure do love to harass the girl trying to just lose unwanted weight.

4. She's not raging at all. Just trying to deal with how difficult this is for everyone who is just starting the process. It happens all the time, it's not new to her situation. People are naturally thrown off when others take interest in bettering their body, it makes them insecure about their own choices and they tend to lash out in response. It is what it is. You can penalize her all you want for it? But it's silly...

I never disagree with you and you are my home girl :) …but here is from the OP…"My office is having a luncheon at work. What's the occasion you ask? We hired 2 new people. Apparently that's a reason to eat tons and tons of food."

IMO it just comes off a little snotty to just say …oh, we hired to people so its an "excuse" to have a gorge fest….

They probably did it to introduce the new people and make them feel at home in their new work environment…

I agree that plate to the face was BS ….but OP kinda comes off as looking down at people her company for providing "a reason to eat tons and tons of food"…just my thoughts...

^^^^