Worst Thing You Found Out about on Facebook

Options

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Facebook is the devil's den. Lol

Facebook doesn't hold a candle to this place if we're talking devil's den.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Deaths generally, I found out a long time friend died when I was away in Europe and i missed the funeral (felt like i made the wake though because everyone sent me images and updates)
    I worked with a lot of music people over the years so frequently here about deaths of friends via media if we've been out of touch, other times i'll get a phone call before it breaks (that happened with Ron and Scott Asheton's deaths) .
  • kewpiecyster
    kewpiecyster Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I love Facebook, as most of my family is spread all over. I have connections with family in Alabama, Colorado, California, Nevada and Florida.

I only had drama when I friended my biological cousin. We grew up together - even though her bio mom and my bio dad were deadbeat brother and sister. We were raised by better people and we remained friends. When I friended her, many of my sperm donor's family members tried to connect with me. My cousin had reconciled with the bio family, so they now all had a connection to me. The problem with this is that I have NO want to be connected with anyone from that family except for her.

I gently let those who were trying to connect with me how I felt and denied their requests. No problems since then.
  • Crimson_Fire
    Crimson_Fire Posts: 2,504 Member
    Options
    Does it mean I'm a super boring person if I've never had any drama associated with Facebook?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    How racist my boyfriend's family is. :grumble:
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I found out that my cousin and his wife had a baby - a year after the fact. No one in my family even mentioned that she was pregnant. I also found out about my sister's messy divorce on Facebook. I sent her a message of support asking if she was doing okay and she refused to tell me anything, but continued to post all the dirty details on Facebook for the rest of the world to read about. Family is awesome. :huh:
  • BigBellyGoAway
    BigBellyGoAway Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I don't spend much time on FB, but I did find out that many of the people I'm "friends" with bore me more than I though they did. :laugh:
  • ldnmaggie
    ldnmaggie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    That my nan died, my cousin wrote a status about it! Hellllllooooooooooooooooooooooooo?!?!

And that a friends baby died a few days after xmas...
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I found out my sister had cancer via Facebook. Apparently, someone thought "everyone knew".

We found out his niece was having a baby before anyone was suppose to know. .... (so it's posted on Facebook??)

Learned a lot of deaths on Facebook. Learned some people have more mental health issues then they even know (lol). I've learned anything can and will happen on Facebook, so not much shocks me anymore.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I learned that a close friend from high school had died from uterine cancer. I'd been looking for her for years. I had found her brother, but when I asked about her, he didn't respond.

I hate it because I would have liked to have reconnected with her before she died. It was a very difficult funeral for me.
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Deaths (one was a really good friend of mine, others are people I knew in HS or somewhere else. Always sad)... I also found out my husband's EX best friend was put in prison for child abuse. Nearly killed his 4 month old. Thank god the baby recovered but he will have life long disabilities from it.

Hmm, that's about the worst of it I think.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I found out (and continue to find out) that I have no need to talk to my extended family as they are a bunch of shallow, vain, narcissistic, oversharing, passive aggressive attention *kitten* that feel the need to SHARE EVERYTHING…I’d take them off but the cannon fodder is too good to pass up for later use.

I don't use my name on it anyway.. figured if someone wanted to find me i'm public enough they could've "found" me easily enough between my college, military, voting records, etc... don't need them to pop up 20 years later talking about "oh hey friend..blah blah blah..." you obviously didn't look that hard.. :grumble:
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Deactivated my account an have never looked back. :)

2 weeks for me and life is a hell of a lot better without it :)

I have considered doing that so many times but just can't seem to bring myself to do it. My friend list is probably a little over 100 and consists mainly of family, mine and my husbands. We both have family (aunts, uncles, grandparents, and cousins) that are spread out all over the country. If it wasn't for FB we wouldn't keep in touch as much as we do. And Grandma is always commenting on pics of her grandkids about how much she loves FB so she see all her grandkids (and great grand kids) that live far away. I can't take that away from Grandma, lol! I think the only people left in the family that are not on FB are my in-laws.....although my MIL sister's are really trying to get her to join. I change certain people to acquaintances and really try to be strict about my friend list. And once in awhile I do a cut.

The worst news we found through FB? Probably when an aunt died suddenly from a brain aneurysm.
  • MrsG31
    Options
    I found my mom saying things about me other peoples pages. About how horrible I am as a daughter and mother. She even went on a public page, viewed by over 500k people, and said something negative about me under a comment I had made. I learned about that when I started getting messages from strangers saying, OMG...is that your mom? I feel for you, my mom is a ***** too. :frown:

Oh gawd.....how awful! ((((hugs))))
  • MrsG31
    Options
    My family has a private group page on Facebook, so when news needs to be shared that is considered serious, it's ok that we share it via Facebook.

That is a GREAT idea!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Facebook is the devil's den. Lol

Facebook doesn't hold a candle to this place if we're talking devil's den.

So true!
    333792.gif
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Does it mean I'm a super boring person if I've never had any drama associated with Facebook?

Aww, we can start that club together. :flowerforyou:
    i only use FB as a photo album of my art and to share pithy quotes. i barely look at anyone else's pages.
  • MrsG31
    Options
    That my mom hadn't made it thru the night after surgery. I live in another state and whoever was supposed to call me (no one would fess up) didn't. Talk about sucking! It's been almost 2 years and I'm still really mad about it

I would be too, you have every right to be. Giving you a virtual hug! ((hug))
  • rfw24
    rfw24 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I found out that my wife was a liar and was cheating on me. It was bad then but I am a happier person now! : )
  • crazyminxx
    crazyminxx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I so relate to this. I found out via face book that my grandmother had months to live - turned out to be weeks.
    I also found out my (now ex) husband was cheating - his girlfriend would leave posts on his wall for the world to see - such class!
    WTF is wrong with people! is everyone devoid of empathy for others?!