Sugar Detox

Options
Anyone else start with trying to detox your body from sugar? I am starting day three of detox and I am suffering headaches, shaking hands, crankiness and generally want to curl up in a corner and make the world go away.

I did first two days strict, not even fruit or juices but I woke up this morning and couldn't handle it so I drank 8oz of fresh orange juice. I am feeling a little better now, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that.

I guess I am just rambling, but I would love to find others in this situation.

Replies

• wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've tried to give it up, and failed. I got shaky and real cranky, so I decided that I was just meant to have it, but I try to limit how much I have. Sorry I'm of no help
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Are you planning on eating fruit? That might help you satisfy your cravings without eating any refined sugar. I cut out refined sugar, but i couldn't imagine going without fruit.
  • skinnybythanksgiving
    skinnybythanksgiving Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Yes, I went through that. I have 8 months off sweets and artificial sweeteners. Might want to get yourself some L-glutamine from the health food store and take it every day for a week or two. It will remove your cravings. Also red meat can cause sugar cravings. After awhile you'll look around at the crap everywhere and wonder why in the world everyone is obsessed with it. You'll be free.
  • MrsCZM138
    MrsCZM138 Posts: 116
    Options
    Really its a bad idea to cut out an entire food group, even sugar. Sounds to me, by the symptoms you described, your blood sugar dropped pretty low. Dangerous.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    In to read later
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    why are you doing this to yourself?

You can eat sugar and lose weight, just maintain a calorie deficit…

Curious, are you not eating ANY sugar…? No fruit, breads, honey, etc?
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I'm not a dietitian, but don't you need natural sugars for energy? I know that consuming lots of processed sugar isn't healthy, and we could probably all benefit from cutting it out of our diets, but surely moderate consumption of natural sugars from fruit is ok? Maybe you know something I don't, but I think that just about anything in moderation should be ok...you don't want to restrict yourself to the point of getting physically ill.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    oh-henry-candy-bar.jpg
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Anyone else start with trying to detox your body from sugar? I am starting day three of detox and I am suffering headaches, shaking hands, crankiness and generally want to curl up in a corner and make the world go away.

I did first two days strict, not even fruit or juices but I woke up this morning and couldn't handle it so I drank 8oz of fresh orange juice. I am feeling a little better now, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that.

I guess I am just rambling, but I would love to find others in this situation.

Sugar is essential for life
  • Tazeher
    Tazeher Posts: 3
    Options
    Yes I plan on eating fruit in the beginning I was just trying to limit them until I was thru the detox stage.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    If the OJ had added sugar, you would have been better off just eating a piece of fruit. Your body does need some sugar.

I always add coffee and a bit of cream to my sugar to avoid any concerns. :drinker:
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Really its a bad idea to cut out an entire food group, even sugar. Sounds to me, by the symptoms you described, your blood sugar dropped pretty low. Dangerous.
    Refined sugar is not a food group!!!!!
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Not sure I get the belief in a "sugar detox"...
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Yes I plan on eating fruit in the beginning I was just trying to limit them until I was thru the detox stage.

But you can't limit them as much as you are. Your body needs sugar to function.
  • ndj1979
    Options

what are you hoping to accomplish with this detox?

You realize sugar has fruit in it, right? So you are 'detoxing' from sugar, and at the same time consuming it..

There is really no need to do this …

I know you are new here and have been brainwashed into believe that sugar is the devil but it really is not. I eat 50 grams a sugar a day and I am losing and am down to 12% body fat...
  • ndj1979
    Options

sugar is sugar is sugar….at the molecular level it is all the same ...
  • DrFlave
    DrFlave Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not a toxin that you need to rid your body of. (not that detoxes actually do that anyway) What exactly are you trying to do?
  • MrsCZM138
    MrsCZM138 Posts: 116
    Options

Did I say refined sugar? No, darlin, I didn't. OP said they cut out all sugar, including fruit. Last time I checked, fruit was a food group.
  • jessjunkies
    jessjunkies Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Eat real fruit, skip the fruit juice and your body will still detox off the fake stuff and the cravings will stop.You also gotta cut out white grain/bread and pasta. The stuff turns to sugar as soon as you eat it and your body reacts the same. Eat WHOLE grains. It took about 4 days for me and the weight loss process has been so much easier now that the cravings are gone. Good Luck!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Eat real fruit, skip the fruit juice and your body will still detox off the fake stuff and the cravings will stop.You also gotta cut out white grain/bread and pasta. The stuff turns to sugar as soon as you eat it and your body reacts the same. Eat WHOLE grains. It took about 4 days for me and the weight loss process has been so much easier now that the cravings are gone. Good Luck!

this is just dead wrong on so many levels….