People suck.

Options

Replies

• nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options

I never disagree with you and you are my home girl :) …but here is from the OP…"My office is having a luncheon at work. What's the occasion you ask? We hired 2 new people. Apparently that's a reason to eat tons and tons of food."

IMO it just comes off a little snotty to just say …oh, we hired to people so its an "excuse" to have a gorge fest….

They probably did it to introduce the new people and make them feel at home in their new work environment…

I agree that plate to the face was BS ….but OP kinda comes off as looking down at people her company for providing "a reason to eat tons and tons of food"…just my thoughts...

I totally agree with you.. However... her responses after the fact were genuine and none combative. She restated that she didn't mean to come off that way and was only venting, and when they back down? It's only fair the rest of us retract the claws... but these two continued the rampage like rabid dogs on a personal level toward the OP vs. just addressing the overall issue and THAT's where I took justifiable offense.
  • tfleischer
    tfleischer Posts: 199 Member
    Options

I just smile and envision cramming my veggie burger up his *kitten*..............................

That may be the only fiber he gets that day.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I never disagree with you and you are my home girl :) …but here is from the OP…"My office is having a luncheon at work. What's the occasion you ask? We hired 2 new people. Apparently that's a reason to eat tons and tons of food."

IMO it just comes off a little snotty to just say …oh, we hired to people so its an "excuse" to have a gorge fest….

They probably did it to introduce the new people and make them feel at home in their new work environment…

I agree that plate to the face was BS ….but OP kinda comes off as looking down at people her company for providing "a reason to eat tons and tons of food"…just my thoughts...

I totally agree with you.. However... her responses after the fact were genuine and none combative. She restated that she didn't mean to come off that way and was only venting, and when they back down? It's only fair the rest of us retract the claws... but these two continued the rampage like rabid dogs on a personal level toward the OP vs. just addressing the overall issue and THAT's where I took justifiable offense.

agreed…:)
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options

agreed…:)

;D
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    since this thread seems to have turned into a dumpster fire I'm going to go back and read the OP and just answer to that straight.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    ^ lol
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    My office is having a luncheon at work. What's the occasion you ask? We hired 2 new people. Apparently that's a reason to eat tons and tons of food.(1) I brought my lunch, as usual. I don't care to participate in the stuffing-of-faces-until-we-can't-breathe-fest(2). I'm just starting out and am trying really hard to meet my goal. I'm sitting with everyone and chatting like usual, just not eating the food. It doesn't fit into my daily allowance and I'm good with that. Anywho, I get my lunch out of the fridge(3). Let the comments commence....

"That's what you're eating for potluck??" "Yep, I'm good with this."
    "Go get in line and get some food!" "Oh no, I'm good, thank you though."
    "Why aren't you eating??" "I didn't gain weight eating like THIS, I gained weight eating like THAT."
    "She's eating a granola bar!!"
    Waving a plate of food in front of my face (literally) "You don't know what you're missing!!" (trying to keep calm and not slap it out of her hand)(4) "Oh yes I do, and I'm good, thanks."

Seriously?? People suck.
    Maybe it's a reason to build morale and make sure new people and current employees know one another and get to meet in an informal and comfy way to work well together. I don't remember tons of food being required at these things.
    Kinda judgey
    REALLY curious what your "lunch from the fridge" was. Apparently one of your coworkers thought you weren't even eating.
    Too emotional a feeling for what was happening. Possible Hangry.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    DO slap it out of her hand. That's all it would take, is just one time. No one would ever bother you about food again.

If you get in trouble, claim it was an accident. Dead serious. I don't stand for that kind of crap.
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I know exactly where the OP is coming from. When I worked in an office I was not only the biggest woman there, but just about the biggest PERSON. Maybe ten pounds separated me from the biggest man there, and I'm not sure which of us was on the lower side. They were all big on food-laden celebrations, too. Thankfully there were only a few particularly rabid 'food-pushers', and they were mostly well-meaning, equal opportunity pushers, offering treats to anybody and everybody. However their Queen, well, we'll just call her PAB (passive-aggressive *****), made it her life's mission to get me, the one and only fat girl in the whole office, to eat. For almost ten years, it seemed she spent more time lingering in front of my desk pushing one food or another than she did working. Even when she went around offering stuff to others, she'd barely react whether they accepted or refused, but she'd act personally offended if I didn't take something (no, she didn't bake anything herself, she didn't even cook.) Seriously, imagine a 50-something year old woman pouting because you wouldn't take a doughnut.

If I wasn't there, I'd come back to find a big platter of whatever goodies, and she'd claim she'd put them there for "your end of the department.". "No" was just a sound she could not comprehend. If I broke down just to get rid of her and said yes, thank you, she'd actually get this look of smug satisfaction, and then linger around as long as she could to watch me eat it, if she could get away with it. I usually just told her I was saving it for break ("Oh, you don't have to, I'll bring you another one!"). If I held my ground and politely but firmly refused, she'd whisper to people that I was rude, she was just trying to be nice to me and I 'threw it in her face.' Once in a while the visits would die down - I suspected she sometimes got 'spoken to' about her excessive socializing - but lord help me if I had to pass her desk to get to the copy machine. She was also fascinated when I did eat anything, and had to comment on everything that went into my mouth. This was annoying enough even when I wasn't actively trying to diet.

It grew so bad that I dreaded the office social functions and started avoiding them. Which in turn only served to have her ramp up her efforts "I noticed you missed the party so here, I brought you a little" (plunks down a paper plate that is practically dissolving under the weight of the desserts/cheese/whatever.) And it had the added result of then making ME look like a snob to everyone else for not attending.

I guess my point is, we all have our breaking points. And as I read OP's post I just heard PAB's voice and saw her standing over me waving a plate full of food that was tempting enough as it was (even if I already had a few treats in front of me, that would not have satisfied her.) OP was sitting there, minding her own business and bought her own food, so she could participate and socialize with everyone... but those people, who I'm sure are otherwise very nice, wouldn't let up and I think I would have felt the same way she did. Having been there, I applaud her ability to hold it together.

(It ONLY got better when I stopped worrying about being so polite. If she was going to call me "rude" anyway, I decided it was worth it for her to leave me in peace for a while.)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    DO slap it out of her hand. That's all it would take, is just one time. No one would ever bother you about food again.

If you get in trouble, claim it was an accident. Dead serious. I don't stand for that kind of crap.

Wow. This is just horrible advice. Advocating violent reactions is not really cool, and though you may "claim" it to be an accident may not end up being seen as such. How about trying the grown up approach of saying No firmly and then ignoring if necessary.
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    Options

This is one of those times I wish we could "like" posts :devil:
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Brittney (who started this thread), you are TOTALLY RIGHT. So many people are so ignorant about so many things they open their mouth about and spout about things. It gets totally frustrating and is so uncalled for. People really need to be better educated, and from the proper sources. The more educated a person is, the more they don't try to go around and tell others how they should do things. This is usually from uneducated people who just think that they know so much about so many things. These people don't even have the sense to learn the correct information from the right sources, and it goes on and on.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    Options

Wow. This is just horrible advice. Advocating violent reactions is not really cool, and though you may "claim" it to be an accident may not end up being seen as such. How about trying the grown up approach of saying No firmly and then ignoring if necessary.

Oh, please. Knocking a plate of food out of your own face that's being thrust at you against your will is hardly "violent". And OP DID say no firmly, and it's not working, clearly. Speak softly, and carry a big stick, I say.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Oh, please. Knocking a plate of food out of your own face that's being thrust at you against your will is hardly "violent". And OP DID say no firmly, and it's not working, clearly. Speak softly, and carry a big stick, I say.

May I offer an alternate scenario. After having firmly said "No" i see no reason waved plate cannot be accepted and then marched straight to the trash can or back onto some table somewhere. Smacking out of the hand may be necessary if this was a habitual offender of the PAB variety. That lady sounds like she had some kind of vendetta.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I know exactly where the OP is coming from. When I worked in an office I was not only the biggest woman there, but just about the biggest PERSON. Maybe ten pounds separated me from the biggest man there, and I'm not sure which of us was on the lower side. They were all big on food-laden celebrations, too. Thankfully there were only a few particularly rabid 'food-pushers', and they were mostly well-meaning, equal opportunity pushers, offering treats to anybody and everybody. However their Queen, well, we'll just call her PAB (passive-aggressive *****), made it her life's mission to get me, the one and only fat girl in the whole office, to eat. For almost ten years, it seemed she spent more time lingering in front of my desk pushing one food or another than she did working. Even when she went around offering stuff to others, she'd barely react whether they accepted or refused, but she'd act personally offended if I didn't take something (no, she didn't bake anything herself, she didn't even cook.) Seriously, imagine a 50-something year old woman pouting because you wouldn't take a doughnut.

If I wasn't there, I'd come back to find a big platter of whatever goodies, and she'd claim she'd put them there for "your end of the department.". "No" was just a sound she could not comprehend. If I broke down just to get rid of her and said yes, thank you, she'd actually get this look of smug satisfaction, and then linger around as long as she could to watch me eat it, if she could get away with it. I usually just told her I was saving it for break ("Oh, you don't have to, I'll bring you another one!"). If I held my ground and politely but firmly refused, she'd whisper to people that I was rude, she was just trying to be nice to me and I 'threw it in her face.' Once in a while the visits would die down - I suspected she sometimes got 'spoken to' about her excessive socializing - but lord help me if I had to pass her desk to get to the copy machine. She was also fascinated when I did eat anything, and had to comment on everything that went into my mouth. This was annoying enough even when I wasn't actively trying to diet.

It grew so bad that I dreaded the office social functions and started avoiding them. Which in turn only served to have her ramp up her efforts "I noticed you missed the party so here, I brought you a little" (plunks down a paper plate that is practically dissolving under the weight of the desserts/cheese/whatever.) And it had the added result of then making ME look like a snob to everyone else for not attending.

I guess my point is, we all have our breaking points. And as I read OP's post I just heard PAB's voice and saw her standing over me waving a plate full of food that was tempting enough as it was (even if I already had a few treats in front of me, that would not have satisfied her.) OP was sitting there, minding her own business and bought her own food, so she could participate and socialize with everyone... but those people, who I'm sure are otherwise very nice, wouldn't let up and I think I would have felt the same way she did. Having been there, I applaud her ability to hold it together.

(It ONLY got better when I stopped worrying about being so polite. If she was going to call me "rude" anyway, I decided it was worth it for her to leave me in peace for a while.)

:cry:

Your post made me really sad and is one of the few posts on here that really sounded like someone really had it in for you for some other reason and made it her life's work to harrass you and on such a sensitive point. At the risk of being accused of derailing the thread I just had to let you know I'm really sorry you went through that. We all have to work with crazy people and I'm so sorry yours was relentless and overly focused on you. So many people on here imagine that someone is out to get them but in your case it sounds like she really was for whatever reason. Hope you are in a better place now.:flowerforyou:
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    Options

May I offer an alternate scenario. After having firmly said "No" i see no reason waved plate cannot be accepted and then marched straight to the trash can or back onto some table somewhere. Smacking out of the hand may be necessary if this was a habitual offender of the PAB variety. That lady sounds like she had some kind of vendetta.

Or just wetly cough into the plate :laugh:
  • domeimazn
    domeimazn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Let the haters hate!
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    This is still happening?

Well...in so I can read about potluck rage later.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Or just wetly cough into the plate :laugh:

Or moistly. :wink:
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    You could have eaten the food, OP. By refusing to partake in the social ritual of shared food, you rejected those in your work community.