Sugar Detox

Options

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to moderate. I mean, I cut out sweet tea and soda, but I still eat fruit and I make my own juice for a glass a day. Carbohydrates are the only food your brain eats.

Actually no, your brain needs fats more than carbohydrates. Ever wonder why they call peanut butter-brain food? and they highly recommend Omega 3s for brain function. Omegas 3s come from healthy fats, not carbohydrates. Recent studies have shown that people who follow high carbohydrate diets have an increased risk of developing Alzheimers.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options

So which one of those sugars is the evil kind? And how do you know they behave differently in the body?

I'm not saying any of them is evil.

I know because of what I've read .. All 'sugars' need to be broken down in the body to the simplest for (Glucose, to use used or stored in the body ... converted to Glycogen for use by the muscles, for example).

we can not, for example metabolise Cellulose (as some animals can) so I guess (?) it you did eat say 500 cals of Grass - those 500 cals would be pooped out (not THAT is another part of the energy equation that folks rarely seem to mention!! They say Energy IN must equal Energy Out to maintain weight .. but always seem to only mention Exercise for Energy out ... not pooping :-p
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to moderate. I mean, I cut out sweet tea and soda, but I still eat fruit and I make my own juice for a glass a day. Carbohydrates are the only food your brain eats.

Actually no, your brain needs fats more than carbohydrates. Ever wonder why they call peanut butter-brain food? and they highly recommend Omega 3s for brain function. Omegas 3s come from healthy fats, not carbohydrates. Recent studies have shown that people who follow high carbohydrate diets have an increased risk of developing Alzheimers.

Ever wonder why studies have repeatedly shown ingestion of simple carbs improves performance on cognitive tasks? Weird
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Ever wonder why studies have repeatedly shown ingestion of simple carbs improves performance on cognitive tasks? Weird

On a moderate to high carb diet the brain will use typically about 120g of glucose. The brain will function as effectively on a mixture of ketones and glucose (approx. 30g).
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

Ritalin causes the same results. Or Cocaine. Or any stimulant.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    To all the people who mocked my earlier post. It must be so nice to be able to eat things in 'moderation' and mock others for not being able to control their diets. As someone else earlier said, I can't just have a piece of cake, I have to eat the whole thing. I can't just eat one penguin biscuit, I have to have the entire pack. In one day, I ate an entire packet of maryland cookies, an entire packet of cadbury's fingers, and an entire family sized profiterole gateau.

The only way I can stop binging on sugar, is to just cut it out. As soon as I have a tiny piece of chocolate, or a boiled sweet, then I just want to eat the entire thing. I've tried moderation, and in the past 2 months I've put on 16lbs. Thank you for your mockery.

I am the same way. I have found the only thing that really works for me (to lose weight and lose the cravings) is a low carb (also a low sugar) diet. Even fruits can send me spiraling into a full out binge.

I'm an "all or nothing" kind of person/body type. We are all different and what works for one may not work for another. I'm kind of shocked to see all the bashers on this particular thread. Some of us just can't have certain things - period. For me, sugar is definately one of them too.

Right now, I'm trying to have a fruit here and there to just see how it goes, but if I continue to have cravings, I will cut them off.

Sorry you felt mocked for your comments - I did find alot of the comments pretty disrespectful to not only the original poster, but those of us who truly have to stay away from sugar (carbs, fruit, processed).
  • Acg67
    Options

Ritalin causes the same results. Or Cocaine. Or any stimulant.

So sugar is a stimulant?
  • gieshagirl
    gieshagirl Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Are you planning on eating fruit? That might help you satisfy your cravings without eating any refined sugar. I cut out refined sugar, but i couldn't imagine going without fruit.
    Also, the juice hits your system like a rocket and then lets you crash.....do fruit instead....1.it slows the sugar conversion and gives you energy longer and 2 you will feel more satsfied longer. sugar is my enemy too. i use to eat a bag of york peppermint patties a day.....for me....i went to whitmans sugar free candies and chocolate....when i really need chocolate.....they taste good and make me feel not so deprived and dont give me a sugar crash 2 hours later!:drinker:
  • Acg67
    Options
    To all the people who mocked my earlier post. It must be so nice to be able to eat things in 'moderation' and mock others for not being able to control their diets. As someone else earlier said, I can't just have a piece of cake, I have to eat the whole thing. I can't just eat one penguin biscuit, I have to have the entire pack. In one day, I ate an entire packet of maryland cookies, an entire packet of cadbury's fingers, and an entire family sized profiterole gateau.

The only way I can stop binging on sugar, is to just cut it out. As soon as I have a tiny piece of chocolate, or a boiled sweet, then I just want to eat the entire thing. I've tried moderation, and in the past 2 months I've put on 16lbs. Thank you for your mockery.

I am the same way. I have found the only thing that really works for me (to lose weight and lose the cravings) is a low carb (also a low sugar) diet. Even fruits can send me spiraling into a full out binge.

I'm an "all or nothing" kind of person/body type. We are all different and what works for one may not work for another. I'm kind of shocked to see all the bashers on this particular thread. Some of us just can't have certain things - period. For me, sugar is definately one of them too.

Right now, I'm trying to have a fruit here and there to just see how it goes, but if I continue to have cravings, I will cut them off.

Sorry you felt mocked for your comments - I did find alot of the comments pretty disrespectful to not only the original poster, but those of us who truly have to stay away from sugar (carbs, fruit, processed).

So you eat zero carb? If you have anything with sugar, you binge on it, like eggs for example?
  • noneya2010
    Options

So you eat zero carb? If you have anything with sugar, you binge on it, like eggs for example?

I eat a high protein/low carb diet. 25-50 carbs max and I try to get that from veggies, excluding starchy veggies. When I follow this plan, the weight consistently comes off and will stay off. I don't eat potatoes, rice, peas, or anything that has over a few carbs each serving. I can't allow myself to have a "cheat" day -- this leads to several months of binging. This is why I stay away from most fruits. I have tried to eat fruits - but it does send me veering off course and the cravings become overwhelming - like a druggie needs a drug or an alcholic needs a beer. I am trying to incorporate some fruit - like berries - here and there, but in the past have not been successful when doing that.

I eat eggs almost every day (but don't eat too much of the yolk because they dont digest well) and most fish/seafood and meats. I am not a big dairy person either so occassionally I will eat a cheese stick but even cheese is a trigger food. After the initial 'detox' period, I completely lose cravings and urges to binge when cutting most carbs/sugar out of my diet.

Honestly, to most people, they probaby can't understand this and will argue that anyone can eat anything in moderation - but to a true food addict, I disagree. My mother was an alcoholic and died from that at 49; my father was a compulsive overeater and morbidly obese - he too died at the age of 49. Research has shown over and over that there is a genetic component to alcoholism and just like an alcoholic, I have the same struggles with foods - particularlly carbs/sugars. I don't think this is a coincidence - I think this is a metabolic disorder. When I'm following a low carb diet, I don't crave chips or breads or starchy things. I also don't binge on meats or veggies nor are there any cravings to like eat 3 pieces of steak or chicken! But the moment I start eating more carbs (sugar), all those urges and cravings come back and derail my progress/health.
  • Acg67
    Options

I eat a high protein/low carb diet. 25-50 carbs max and I try to get that from veggies, excluding starchy veggies. When I follow this plan, the weight consistently comes off and will stay off. I don't eat potatoes, rice, peas, or anything that has over a few carbs each serving. I can't allow myself to have a "cheat" day -- this leads to several months of binging. This is why I stay away from most fruits. I have tried to eat fruits - but it does send me veering off course and the cravings become overwhelming - like a druggie needs a drug or an alcholic needs a beer. I am trying to incorporate some fruit - like berries - here and there, but in the past have not been successful when doing that.

I eat eggs almost every day (but don't eat too much of the yolk because they dont digest well) and most fish/seafood and meats. I am not a big dairy person either so occassionally I will eat a cheese stick but even cheese is a trigger food. After the initial 'detox' period, I completely lose cravings and urges to binge when cutting most carbs/sugar out of my diet.

Honestly, to most people, they probaby can't understand this and will argue that anyone can eat anything in moderation - but to a true food addict, I disagree. My mother was an alcoholic and died from that at 49; my father was a compulsive overeater and morbidly obese - he too died at the age of 49. Research has shown over and over that there is a genetic component to alcoholism and just like an alcoholic, I have the same struggles with foods - particularlly carbs/sugars. I don't think this is a coincidence - I think this is a metabolic disorder. When I'm following a low carb diet, I don't crave chips or breads or starchy things. I also don't binge on meats or veggies nor are there any cravings to like eat 3 pieces of steak or chicken! But the moment I start eating more carbs (sugar), all those urges and cravings come back and derail my progress/health.

so by "all or nothing" with sugars you didn't actually mean that, gotcha

"I'm an "all or nothing" kind of person/body type. We are all different and what works for one may not work for another. I'm kind of shocked to see all the bashers on this particular thread. Some of us just can't have certain things - period. For me, sugar is definately one of them too. "
  • noneya2010
    Options
    And when the original poster said "sugar detox" -- to me "sugar" is carbohydrates. They are one in the same.

My 23 year old son has been an insulin dependent diabetic since he was 12 months old. And in working with the best endocrinologists in the country through the Children's hospital - we have always been told - "a carb is a carb is a carb" and breaks down into sugar.

So yeah - eating a piece of fruit may offer more health benefits than chowing down on a snickers bar, but during digestion, the 'carb' breaks down into sugar.

So to me hearing "sugar detox" is the same as me saying I"m detoxing from carbs or processed foods. To me, they are one in the same.
  • noneya2010
    Options

so by "all or nothing" with sugars you didn't actually mean that, gotcha

Correct - I aim to get my "sugar" from very plant-based sources and have to severely limit them. Hopefully in a few weeks, since i"m starting all over and have been on the course to disaster the past several months -- I will have results to back up my story! :smile:
  • Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I agree with some of the posts about sugar being essential. I recently gave up all sugar and all carbs except low glycemic veggies and I feel fine...but I also increased my saturated fat AND sodium. I'm doing a ketogenic program because the low carb/low fat/high protein thing used to give me crazy headaches.

I allow myself 1/2 cup of coconut water in the morning which has tons of potassium and other electrolytes. I think this might be another reason why I haven't had the 'low carb flu' with the headaches and all that. Sodium is essential when cutting out carbs to maintain electrolyte balance.

Good luck on your journey.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I agree with some of the posts about sugar being essential. I recently gave up all sugar and all carbs except low glycemic veggies and I feel fine...but I also increased my saturated fat AND sodium. I'm doing a ketogenic program because the low carb/low fat/high protein thing used to give me crazy headaches.

I allow myself 1/2 cup of coconut water in the morning which has tons of potassium and other electrolytes. I think this might be another reason why I haven't had the 'low carb flu' with the headaches and all that. Sodium is essential when cutting out carbs to maintain electrolyte balance.

Sugar is 100% essential to live. Glucose is literally the fuel your body runs on. It's not essential in your diet though. The human body is rather good at manufacturing glucose out of just about anything.

The human body is so astonishingly good at handling sugar (in terms of making it and making use of it) that it generally takes decades of abuse in the form of sedentary lifestyle and obesity before it starts having metabolic problems.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Well sugar isn't toxic so there is no "detox". If one is speaking of sugar "reduction", then just reduce your intake of sugar. As mentioned, you NEED glucose in the body for it to be efficient. And an extreme "no sugar at all" attempt will shock the crap out of someone who consumed a lot of it on a regular basis.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    The body can also function very well on ketones in the absence of dietary sugar to produce glucose. But my point wasn't to argue about it...just trying to support the original poster.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    nvm. misread the post.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Sugar is 100% essential to live. Glucose is literally a fuel your body runs on. It's not essential in your diet though. The human body is rather good at manufacturing glucose out of just about anything.

The human body is so astonishingly good at handling sugar (in terms of making it and making use of it) that it generally takes decades of abuse in the form of sedentary lifestyle and obesity before it starts having metabolic problems.

Wow I agree with most of what you put on this post (1 amend in highlight)
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Well sugar isn't toxic so there is no "detox". If one is speaking of sugar "reduction", then just reduce your intake of sugar. As mentioned, you NEED glucose in the body for it to be efficient. And an extreme "no sugar at all" attempt will shock the crap out of someone who consumed a lot of it on a regular basis.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Too much sugar is toxic, which is why we produce insulin to transport it for fuel, muscle / liver storage or to be converted into body fat.

our body's first reaction is to get that *kitten* out of our blood stream as fast as possible (that's just a joke by the way).