Sugar Detox

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Well sugar isn't toxic so there is no "detox". If one is speaking of sugar "reduction", then just reduce your intake of sugar. As mentioned, you NEED glucose in the body for it to be efficient. And an extreme "no sugar at all" attempt will shock the crap out of someone who consumed a lot of it on a regular basis.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Too much sugar is toxic, which is why we produce insulin to transport it for fuel, muscle / liver storage or to be converted into body fat.

our body's first reaction is to get that *kitten* out of our blood stream as fast as possible (that's just a joke by the way).

Um. Insulin does not exist because sugar is toxic. I cannot comprehend where you might have gotten such a wacky idea.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Yes I know insulin is a fantastic hormone that does so much more than just deal with sugar. But one of it's functions is too transport glucose around our system.

The presence of excess glucose in the system does trigger our pancreas to secrete insulin to deal with said glucose (I'm not sure it's just a happy coincidence that insulin levels in our body increase with the levels of glucose), or maybe it is.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Yes I know insulin is a fantastic hormone that does so much more than just deal with sugar. But one of it's functions is too transport glucose around our system.

It doesn't move glucose "around our system" because sugar is toxic.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

moderate amounts of sugar are not toxic, but too much is.
  • aleashago85
    aleashago85 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    5-HTP is another supplement that can be taken to help prevent carb cravings.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

What is the overdose dosage? I kinda wanna party tonight
  • jonnythan
    Options

Yeah? What's the LD50 dose?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Anyone else start with trying to detox your body from sugar?
    No, because sugar is not a toxin.
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    bump
  • EmoJew
    EmoJew Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    5-HTP is another supplement that can be taken to help prevent carb cravings.

That stuff's expensive!
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options

What is the overdose dosage? I kinda wanna party tonight

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: *dead*
  • xoNikki246
    Options
    I've been on a no sugar/carb diet for almost 2 months now. I'm so used to not eating any breads or grains that it doesn't even cross my mind. I'm only having trouble with craving cake...but I'm able to stay away. I cook some treats using coconut flour or almond flour and sweeten with stevia. Which has worked out great. Also I still eat berries (just limit how much per day) and maybe treat my self to a pear or banana very rarely.
  • henriettevanittersum
    henriettevanittersum Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Before you all flip out over it, this blog is about cutting out added sugar. Though I have no sugar fobia, I do believe it's not good for people. Why else do I feel so much better when I haven't eaten it for a while? The fact that your body makes it from other sources should tell you it is not neccessary to add it imho. It's just such a shame that it makes some things taste so good:grumble:

food for thought: the way some people respond on this topic makes me think they are in denial as you see with people addicted to drugs...

http://www.sunnyskyz.com/blog/200/Her-Family-Stopped-Eating-Sugar-For-One-Year-And-This-Is-What-Happened#.U0TV5AlFBCE.facebook
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    People feel much better when they shoot up with heroin. I guess that proves that heroin is good for you.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

That's dependant on a lot of factors.

Best answer I can give is - based on a 75kg adult (and APAP as the source) the LD50 would be between 10 - 20gm.

If we are talking chronic toxicity then 6gm - 16gms.

For Subchronic - I do not know.

However the term toxin does not necessarily mean something is bad or universally harmful.
  • tanyaelise
    Options
    Eat real fruit, skip the fruit juice and your body will still detox off the fake stuff and the cravings will stop.You also gotta cut out white grain/bread and pasta. The stuff turns to sugar as soon as you eat it and your body reacts the same. Eat WHOLE grains. It took about 4 days for me and the weight loss process has been so much easier now that the cravings are gone. Good Luck!

this is just dead wrong on so many levels….

Actually its not. Diabetics monitor sugar and starchy-carb intake it to prevent spikes in blood sugar. Oh by the way, they also limit thier refined sugar intake or end up later haveing to balance it with insulin. Fruit juice is more concentrated and is loaded with sugarZZZZZZ.

Dude, Try not to make blanket statements with out telling us why YOU think someone else's comment is wrong... it's counter productive!! Also, read up on glycemic index.
  • beachbodyproject
    beachbodyproject Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think you should just limit the refined sugars. Keep eating fruits. It is important to have some sugars in your body so it might as well be coming from unprocessed foods such as fruit!
  • jonnythan
    Options

Best answer I can give is - based on a 75kg adult (and APAP as the source) the LD50 would be between 10 - 20gm.

However the term toxin does not necessarily mean something is bad or universally harmful.

So 20 grams of sugar is enough to kill half of 75 kg adults.

Thank god I'm one of the lucky half who can eat a slice of cake and not die.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

So 20 grams of sugar is enough to kill half of 75 kg adults.

Thank god I'm one of the lucky half who can eat a slice of cake and not die.

Lol, sorry wrong study - APAP.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to "sugar detox".

That being said, go on a ketogenic diet temporarily. That will remove mkst of your glycogen stores. Pointless, but meh, your call.