Boyfriend hindering my progress

Options
1235»

Replies

• missfabian
    missfabian Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One of the hardest things to do is to love ourselves when we are not feeling at our personal best. Big or small, our self respect is paramount. It is also very important to limit negativity. The golden rule applies. If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all. Instead of focusing on your boyfriends flaws concentrate on maintaining your focus. Trust me when he starts to see the changes you have worked to achieve he will either step up or step away. Either way it is not your responsibility to change anyone but yourself. If you are truly worried about his weight gain learn how to prepare delicious healthy food. You focus on you and let him decide the man he will be.
  • jec228
    jec228 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Do as others have said and focus on your own goals. My boyfriend eats huge portions of whatever he wants. He is also one of the lucky ones who doesn't gain weight.

I choose to cook dinners that I know he will like and just serve him a larger portion. This way we are both fed and I am still meeting my goals each day. When we go out to eat I choose a healthier option knowing I'll get to sneak a few french fries or something else I normally wouldn't order from his plate. You cannot make anyone want to change unless they want it for themselves. Your success and happiness will be contagious which will eventually one day motivate him to be that way as well!
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I've been with my boyfriend for about half of a year, and this has the potential to be a very successful relationship. He's great and I couldn't be happier, however weight is becoming an issue with both of us.

Since the start of the relationship, I gained 10 lbs and felt my clothes getting tight, so I joined Weight Watchers (for the umpteenth time :/). He's also gained weight. about 20-30 lbs, but he's not working toward getting rid of it. He quit smoking (which I was really pushing for), and I'm proud of him for that, but he says that now he can taste food so much more and keeps putting on weight.

When I'm alone, I cook all natural foods, primarily fruits, vegetables and grains (I track using WW, but I don't like their forums). But when he's in the picture, there is always junk food around.

I've tried explaining to him that I'm trying to lose weight, but he told me not to because he likes the way I am right now. That's very nice, but not helpful since I'm 180 lbs and 5'6" (female).

I want him to lose weight with me because his weight gain is starting to become noticeable. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to *gently* push him toward losing the weight he gained? It's all in his belly and it's not very attractive or healthy. I insist on cooking, but sometimes he just shows up with food and he only has junk at his place.

...doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. That's for the bolded.

As for your question. Your boyfriend is not hindering your progress, you are.

He's an adult and you cannot make his decisions for him. Trying to 'gently' push him to lose weight is not your prerogative. If this is something you can't live with, end the relationship. If the relationship is worth more to you than this topic, then learn to live with it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    you ever plan on entering into a domestic situation with this dude?

relevance?
    What do you consider fat.

I need to know for science ya know.
    my ball park figures are 25 and 50 lbs.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Focus on you for sure, but on a side note I think it's pretty shallow of you to be upset that his weight gain is "noticeable" and not very attractive."

Why do people associate wanting to be attracted to your partner as 'shallow'?

This. Nice and sweet and funny only go so far. Physical attraction is important.

Depends. Size of package and a paper bag with Ryan Reynolds'face on it might help

Even if everything else feels like a Hefty bag full of meat?

Oh come on, Doug, that's just a little cushion for the pushin'.

I'm sorry, I can't pass up opportunities for rhymes or puns. But on a serious note, I think that trying to change someone else is a recipe for disaster. When my husband and I first got together, he was overweight and I wasn't. Now he isn't and I am. Meh, it happens. I'm working my *kitten* off to turn it around, but I'm the only one that can. In my opinion, the best you can hope for is that your healthy habits will be an influence on him. He will change if he wants to change, just like you are changing because you wanted to change.

What if he triples the grocery bill and has to start flushing more?
  • mrsfyredude
    mrsfyredude Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've been with my boyfriend for about half of a year, and this has the potential to be a very successful relationship. He's great and I couldn't be happier, however weight is becoming an issue with both of us.

Since the start of the relationship, I gained 10 lbs and felt my clothes getting tight, so I joined Weight Watchers (for the umpteenth time :/). He's also gained weight. about 20-30 lbs, but he's not working toward getting rid of it. He quit smoking (which I was really pushing for), and I'm proud of him for that, but he says that now he can taste food so much more and keeps putting on weight.

When I'm alone, I cook all natural foods, primarily fruits, vegetables and grains (I track using WW, but I don't like their forums). But when he's in the picture, there is always junk food around.

I've tried explaining to him that I'm trying to lose weight, but he told me not to because he likes the way I am right now. That's very nice, but not helpful since I'm 180 lbs and 5'6" (female).

I want him to lose weight with me because his weight gain is starting to become noticeable. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to *gently* push him toward losing the weight he gained? It's all in his belly and it's not very attractive or healthy. I insist on cooking, but sometimes he just shows up with food and he only has junk at his place.

You're 22, and see bolded type above....my opinion....very little "potential" for long term if this is bothering you now. Move on, take care of you....there will be others
  • MelisaBegins
    MelisaBegins Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Focus on you for sure, but on a side note I think it's pretty shallow of you to be upset that his weight gain is "noticeable" and not very attractive."

Why do people associate wanting to be attracted to your partner as 'shallow'?

This. Nice and sweet and funny only go so far. Physical attraction is important.

Depends. Size of package and a paper bag with Ryan Reynolds'face on it might help

Even if everything else feels like a Hefty bag full of meat?

Oh come on, Doug, that's just a little cushion for the pushin'.

I'm sorry, I can't pass up opportunities for rhymes or puns. But on a serious note, I think that trying to change someone else is a recipe for disaster. When my husband and I first got together, he was overweight and I wasn't. Now he isn't and I am. Meh, it happens. I'm working my *kitten* off to turn it around, but I'm the only one that can. In my opinion, the best you can hope for is that your healthy habits will be an influence on him. He will change if he wants to change, just like you are changing because you wanted to change.

What if he triples the grocery bill and has to start flushing more?

I can't be 100% sure, but there's a chance we may be talking about two different kinds of pushin'.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    ebJl8.gif
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    My man doesn't eat the healthiest, and I do worry about him. I have mentioned this to him, but he's a grown man who can decide for himself what to eat and how to treat his body. He brings home things like chocolate and whatnot that I wouldn't necessarily have bought to have around the house on my own accord, but big whoop. If we both can control our portions with such things, why not have them around? If you had a problem with binge eating what he brought for you and you asked him to not bring stuff like that home, that would be a different story. He just sounds like he's being nice, so ease up.

I found that once I allowed myself the "crap" food once in a while, life got easier and I enjoyed my weightloss more. I'm also no longer scared of nights out and random Pizza, which is worth everything to me. Life is more than a jeans size. Eat some of his takeaway and supplement some veggies. Keep doing more of the cooking. Enjoy your life and stop trying to make your man into something he doesn't want to be.
  • carinthea
    carinthea Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Many have said it and I am only going to reiterate it; if you don't find him attractive as he is then after 6 months this relationship is done! You are 22, still young and have plenty of time to find Mr Right. You have got him to give up smoking (I know it's bad for the health but these are personal choices and the fact that he has done this for you shows he cares), and now you want to change him again. Seriously you need to take a step back and think "Do I really love him?" You've only been together a short period of time in the scheme of things and if you don't like what he is currently becoming then perhaps this relationship isn't what is best for you and that's it.

It's easier to walk away at 6 months than it is at 6 years (because he still hasn't become exactly what you wanted/considered 'perfect' for you) when you have moved into together (or have kids)...

If he isn't want you want now, you don't find him attractive/don't want to be seen with him because of his weight gain then just walk away before you hurt him...it's not shallow to want to be attracted to someone but it does beg the question as to what you liked about him when you met if after only 6 months you are desperate to make changes to him.
  • RichRector
    Options
    Well, first off, good luck on reaching your goal! It is SO SO much more difficult when you have to do it with a person in the house that not only isn't really supporting you, but actively telling you not to do it. You are probably going to have to have a serious heart-to-heart with your boyfriend and say "Look, losing weight and being healthy is important to me. I need you to show that what I care about is important to you as well. What can I do to help motivate you to be supportive of me? I would also love it if you would join me and share this process with me."

But if he won't do that, you need to put your foot down on what is important to you. If his house is full of junk food and it's really difficult for you to avoid eating it if you are there, then DON"T put yourself in harm's way. Tell him you can't stay at his house with junk food around. It's too difficult for you to reach your personal goals.

I also think you have every right in the world to want to be attracted to your partner. And a beer belly isn't attractive. I'm sure he doesn't slap it and count his lucky stars that he's got 20 extra pounds of fat on his belly. Also, fat in your stomach is usually surrounding your organs which is pretty bad.

But ultimately you won't be able to change him if your own goals and aspirations aren't important enough for him to support. And then you will need to decide if that's who you want to spend your life with. Spend more time exercising and being active and having FUN! And invite him at every opportunity to do those things with you. But if he won't go then you MUST go by yourself anyway. If he adamantly refuses to be active with you or eath healthy with you, your relationship is going to slowly but surely deteriorate.

Anyway, that's my two cents, which is a lot more than it's worth. You have to live your own life and do what's right for you, no matter how much wacky advice you get.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Take healthy food over to his place when you go there/stay? and when he turns up with junk food, well let him have it but eat what you prefer to eat.

I would definitely suggest trying to hang out with people with similar goals- people who are active and eat well. You could join meetup groups, maybe try group fitness classes, ask girlfriends or family, anybody to work out with you, and that you can share your progress and health goals with.

I know it can be pretty tempting and a bad influence to be around someone eating junk food often. My partner is skinny, underweight for his height and he is always eating lol. Sometimes he eats fast food and chocolate and stuff a lot when with me to try and reach his calorie targets. He doesn't wanna go on hikes cause he will lose calories, does less exercise than me and not keen on doing physical activities on weekends as much as I personally like to.

So yeah what we do is try and go somewhere that has options for both of us if we eat out together, and for my own needs I've joined a hiking group with a friend, and been going on bike rides and kayaking with my dad on the weekends :)
  • bunnypanther
    Options
    Dude!! The guy quit smoking for you...that is an incredible thing to do! Let him concentrate on not falling off that wagon!! When people give up smoking, they often put on weight...it'll even out eventually.

Also, I've been with my man for 2 years and can't keep off him...doesn't bode well that 6 months in and you want another change big from him!

If you love him just give him time and focus on his good points. If you don't, get rid.

I do agree that attraction is important however. I can't do short men. Its just not for me. I won't have sex with anyone i do no find attractive. I don't hate myself enough to screw mingers. If that makes me shallow, so be it.
  • stormyxpony
    stormyxpony Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    So where IS the OP??
  • sarahb2023
    Options
    In my situation my boyfriend can eat whatever he wants and doesnt gain weight. He eats fast food and I eat carrots! I gained about 20 pounds over 4 years but I am down 10 yay! Once I really got serious about my diet I wanted to change the way he ate too so I wouldn't have his tempting food in the house, he got mad when I went to the store and wouldnt come home with the kind of crap he likes to eat and I realized you cannot change someone if they do not want to change..BUT

I did started swapping healthy alternative for bad crap. He still is not a fan of whole wheat bread or pasta so we eat seperate kinds, I have introduced quinoa, bulgur and lentils (so far so good). I did get him to eat greek yogurt instead of sour cream, mashed clauiflower instead of potato, almond milk instead of regular, ground turkey instead of beef, corn tortillas not flour etc. He eats veggies just fine but I started putting them in everything and making more salads. I use more hearbs and spices on healthy food and its hard not to like a lot of the things I make now.

He is a stubborn person but when I didnt try to force things on him and let him try it on his own he surprised me by actually liking a lot of the changes and now there are a lot of bad foods that never comes into my house. Make him think he made the decision on his own :)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    you ever plan on entering into a domestic situation with this dude?

relevance?
    What do you consider fat.

I need to know for science ya know.
    my ball park figures are 25 and 50 lbs.

none really. just curious.
    it seems like you're kinda "meh" about him, and saying he's not what you want him to be yet (unless i misunderstood that). sounds like you're trying to change him and am just wondering how that dynamic would change if you were to share a dwelling.
  • hilousna08
    hilousna08 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    NICE ANSWER!
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    When my husband quit smoking, he was lucky that he went straight to basic training afterwards. However, most people gain weight after quitting. It's only been about 2 months since he quit. Let him get a handle on that. His smoking affected you directly, so I feel like it was fair for you to ask him to change. However, unless he is force-feeding you, his eating habits only indirectly affect you. You can choose what you want to do when faced with food temptation.

If you really feel that the weight he has put on makes him less attractive to you, you should give him a heads-up that it's a problem. Don't shame him about it. Just let him know that you understand he's trying to work on his new good habit (not smoking), but you can't help your lack of attraction to his new body. If he isn't interested in addressing the issue at some point in time, you should find someone else. But let him be in control of his health. It's not your job to nag him into better eating habits.