Broscience FTW

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Today I got into an argument with a friend about nutrition, which is a mistake because this particular friend is a big believer in broscience nonsense. She often touts myths without knowing much about science or nutrition.

So today she insisted that you can lose weight while on a surplus as long as you're eating paleo. She vehemently insisted that a calorie deficit is not the only way to lose weight; as long as you're eating "healthy food," you can eat as much as you want (even when it exceeds your daily caloric needs). She knows this because "they've done studies" and "each person is different."

We then got into the issue of "a calorie is not a calorie," and while I acknowledged that different foods have different nutrient densities, I insisted that, barring a medical condition that would prevent normal weight loss, a calorie deficit WILL result in weight loss because, ya know, thermodynamics. She said this was wrong, since almost everyone has "undiagnosed food allergies," which is causing inflammation that stops weight loss from happening.

Ah, isn't misinformation great?
    My mother has the healthiest diet of anyone I know and she's been obese almost her entire life.
  • rml_16
    Options
    but i dont understand how inflammation would cause you to stop losing weight.... like wheres the logic in that???

and paleo is a fad diet that has not been around for that long. how does she think people lost weight before then? by accident? it just happened somehow? secret paleo dieting?
    Was this directed at PeleoPath4Life? I haven't read the whole thread, but she's in here and responded so I assume so.

My advice is don't bother. She drank the entire batch of the Kool-Aid.
  • fruitsalad15
    fruitsalad15 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My mother does this to me.

She keeps telling me how all I need to do is cut carbs and it'll be impossible to gain weight no matter how much I eat.

Then she tells me to drink more milk.

Ha ha! Like this! My mum does the same with me but with Cheese! She keeps trying to make me eat dairylea triangles!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    People are generally stupid which is why I don't bother much with them...I have my wife and like five other actual friends in real life....everyone else is pretty much background noise and I could take 'em or leave 'em.
  • newmanel
    newmanel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    but i dont understand how inflammation would cause you to stop losing weight.... like wheres the logic in that???

and paleo is a fad diet that has not been around for that long. how does she think people lost weight before then? by accident? it just happened somehow? secret paleo dieting?

Obviously you have no inkling of a clue as to how hormones work with in the human body and how the inflammation upsets the hormonal balance, which leads to weight gain. Hormones such as insulin, grehlin, leptin, cortisol - when these hormones are unbalanced in the body, it will lead to not being able to lose weight at all or weight gain. EVEN with eating very little.

And lets not even delve into when thyroid issues are thrown into the mix.

Obesity itself is a symptom of at the very least low level inflammation in the body.

Serious question. What exactly do you mean by inflammation in this context?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Obviously you have no inkling of a clue as to how hormones work with in the human body and how the inflammation upsets the hormonal balance, which leads to weight gain. Hormones such as insulin, grehlin, leptin, cortisol - when these hormones are unbalanced in the body, it will lead to not being able to lose weight at all or weight gain. EVEN with eating very little.

Obesity itself is a symptom of at the very least low level inflammation in the body.
    So hormonal imbalances shut down your organs and muscles completely? Cool.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    My mother does this to me.

She keeps telling me how all I need to do is cut carbs and it'll be impossible to gain weight no matter how much I eat.

Then she tells me to drink more milk.

Ha ha! Like this! My mum does the same with me but with Cheese! She keeps trying to make me eat dairylea triangles!!!

At least the cheese I eat *is* low-carb! I wouldn't be getting told two contradictory things then!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

O hai Dunning-Kruger effect
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I assume she gets all her hard news and science from Infowars as well. Alex Jones is the messiah for the ill informed and ignorant
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mh5brhksN51qg1vd7.jpg
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

You don't have anything intelligent to say, so you just make a smart alleck, ignorant repsonse.

If you haven't been in other people's shoes, then why would you even question it? Research it.

I have been working with Endocrinologists for over 10 years to get my hormones in balance so I was able to lose weight. We have had to work on getting things in my body healed (which resulted in more weight gain at first) before I was able to lose any weight at all. I also had to be on several medications that I first refused to take because I thought like you did.........

Just keep eating less and exercise and eventually it has to come off. NOPE, I got bigger and bigger and at one point was barely consuming 700 calories per day and exercising, working and going to school.

When a person has hormonal imbalances it affects the bodies ability to burn stored body fat, regardless of how much or little you eat.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    We then got into the issue of "a calorie is not a calorie," and while I acknowledged that different foods have different nutrient densities, I insisted that, barring a medical condition that would prevent normal weight loss, a calorie deficit WILL result in weight loss because, ya know, thermodynamics. She said this was wrong, since almost everyone has "undiagnosed food allergies," which is causing inflammation that stops weight loss from happening.

Which medical conditions allow one to violate the laws of thermodynamics?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

You don't have anything intelligent to say, so you just make a smart alleck, ignorant repsonse.

If you haven't been in other people's shoes, then why would you even question it? Research it.

I have been working with Endocrinologists for over 10 years to get my hormones in balance so I was able to lose weight. We have had to work on getting things in my body healed (which resulted in more weight gain at first) before I was able to lose any weight at all. I also had to be on several medications that I first refused to take because I thought like you did.........

Just keep eating less and exercise and eventually it has to come off. NOPE, I got bigger and bigger and at one point was barely consuming 700 calories per day and exercising, working and going to school.

When a person has hormonal imbalances it affects the bodies ability to burn stored body fat, regardless of how much or little you eat.
    Your body needs energy. Constantly. To keep your heart beating, your other organs working, your brain working, your muscles moving. If you take in less energy than your body needs to do all that, where do you think the rest comes from? Out of thin air?
  • rml_16
    Options
    I have been working with Endocrinologists for over 10 years to get my hormones in balance so I was able to lose weight.

This is the endo who you say claims water is no longer H2O if you mix it with tea or coffee, correct?
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options

I believe the OP already stated "unless you have an underlying medical condition" in her post. So for you to come in and say "not if you have this, not if you have that, not if I hit you with a wiffle ball bat" does not contribute in any way. She has already addressed that if you have an underlying medical condition such as a hormonal issue it may be different than you. Therefore you are really only in here to attack those that think differently from you. Simply stated though, unless you have a medical conditions like PCOD or whatever it is, the laws of thermodynamics apply to you, you are not a special snowflake when it comes to weight loss...you may be a special snowflake in other areas of your life, but not here..

Man my spelling was horrible..
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Egads.

ETA: Obviously she is wrong. I also have my own n=1 to contradict it as I ate very strict "paleo" for all of 2012 and (intentionally) added ~20 pounds by eating above my TDEE. I also lost almost as much the following year by eating whatever I wanted but just under my TDEE. (Yeah, I bulked on strict paleo then cut on IIFYM. #DoingItWrong )
  • rml_16
    Options
    Simply stated though, unless you have a medical conditions like PCOD or whatever it is, the laws of thermodynamics apply to you, you are not a special snowflake when it comes to weight loss...you may be a special snowflake in other areas of your life, but not here..

Even then the laws of thermodynamics apply. It's just a matter of what number of calories you need and hormones CAN affect that.

Either way, your body needs a certain number of calories for basic functioning and more for activity and if you are ingestnig fewer than you're expending, you will lose weight.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

You could always point to people who lost weight while reducing portions of "inflammatory" foods. Or those who lost weight simply by exercising more, while still eating the same non-paleo processed foods.

I wouldn't give up on her. She mentioned "studies", so she has SOME respect for science. Maybe tap into that by looking at the actual studies with her on PubMed.

Besides, most versions of "paleo" are pretty decent, and she implied that she eats healthy, so i wouldn't alienate her. She's our ally in the war on fat. :wink:

The person I know who makes these kind of arguments just says that they're doomed to gain it back because restricting calories never works and when they stop torturing themselves they'll regain.

Yes, I can't wait until I can stop torturing myself with double bacon cheeseburgers, tasty tasty torture.....
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Today I got into an argument with a friend about nutrition, which is a mistake because this particular friend is a big believer in broscience nonsense. She often touts myths without knowing much about science or nutrition.

So today she insisted that you can lose weight while on a surplus as long as you're eating paleo. She vehemently insisted that a calorie deficit is not the only way to lose weight; as long as you're eating "healthy food," you can eat as much as you want (even when it exceeds your daily caloric needs). She knows this because "they've done studies" and "each person is different."

Tell her to google search
    "The twinkie diet"