• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    2jDIIo5.gif
  • michelleneli
    michelleneli Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    :heart: Trogalicious, this OP and all who take the time to help newbies:drinker:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I cannot tell you how much this helped me yesterday. I am new, and I was starving at 1200/day.

I upped my caloric intake from 1200 to 1420 (after I found out my TDEE and subtracted 15%, this was the number I got). I changed my goals in MFP to reflect my new number, and at the end of the day when I clicked that I was all done I got a message saying "at this rate, you will be 127lbs in 5 weeks!" which is exactly what I weighed when I started 2 weeks ago.

Should I just ignore that little message? It is very disheartening!

I do. MFP and I have a disagreement about how much I should be eating. A year and a half of losing + maintaining + bulking says I know my metabolism is higher than MFP thinks it is.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Thank you for your beautiful post!

Anyway, I cheked both with MFP and the link you gave, and, sadly, they both suggested me about 1200 cals :)
    Sometimes, if you are small, sedentary, just a bit more 1300 IS the BMR, and TDEE-20% give exactly (give or take) between 1200 and your BMR.

Anyway, 1200 IS too little for me, I will shortly increase at 1300. And if I loose slowly, well, I don't care so long as I loose :)

Everything I've learned about the body in the past two years says that the body prefers slow and consistent to fast. I wrote a whole blog post about it. Slow loss (with resistance exercise and sufficient protein) will protect your muscles and your metabolism through the process. Trust me, a year down the road, you won't regret this decision.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Thanks for this information. Is there a way to bookmark this post to refer to later?
    since you've posted here, you can always click on the "My Topics" link and should be able to find it. Right now, MFP doesn't have a way to favorite a post. Alternatively, you could just bookmark the thread in your web browser.

Typically, CTRL+D will add it to your favorites.

I copied and pasted it into my blog, so I can help trog spam it.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Thanks for this information. Is there a way to bookmark this post to refer to later?
    since you've posted here, you can always click on the "My Topics" link and should be able to find it. Right now, MFP doesn't have a way to favorite a post. Alternatively, you could just bookmark the thread in your web browser.

Typically, CTRL+D will add it to your favorites.

I copied and pasted it into my blog, so I can help trog spam it.
    Yma2WmD.gif
  • SouthernCountryGirl
    SouthernCountryGirl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post. Sometimes people get so wrapped up in what they are trying to do they forget the simple things (me included). I'm also thankful the yan-yan (bickering) has stopped on your thread. Hope you don't mind but I did the copy/paste thing to my feed for all of my friends to read it. I gave them the forum thread info and gave you the credit, which is richly deserved! I have some newbie friends that I thought it might help. :flowerforyou:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I cannot tell you how much this helped me yesterday. I am new, and I was starving at 1200/day.

I upped my caloric intake from 1200 to 1420 (after I found out my TDEE and subtracted 15%, this was the number I got). I changed my goals in MFP to reflect my new number, and at the end of the day when I clicked that I was all done I got a message saying "at this rate, you will be 127lbs in 5 weeks!" which is exactly what I weighed when I started 2 weeks ago.

Should I just ignore that little message? It is very disheartening!

I do. MFP and I have a disagreement about how much I should be eating. A year and a half of losing + maintaining + bulking says I know my metabolism is higher than MFP thinks it is.

As to the message saying you will be xxx lbs in 5 weeks, this is going to be skewed when you make your goals custom. It doesn't mean that is really what is going to happen. Just ignore it. At your current calorie level you should lose half a pound a week.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    bumping for awesome.
  • ccmzone2013
    ccmzone2013 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Thanks
    Van-Der-Beek-High-Five-GIF.gif
  • Nccathy
    Nccathy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the incredibly useful information
  • mandysd1
    mandysd1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you for this awesome information:bigsmile:
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Trog is awesome. That is all.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Trog is awesome. That is all.
    :flowerforyou:
  • cynthiaszafranski
    cynthiaszafranski Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much I have been overwhelmed with the do this do that no eat this no eat that carb or not to carb my head has been spinning so I went on my own eating fresh and starting to exercise after reading this I now feel better knowing I'm not an alien in my thought of can we just keep it simple folks after 46 years of some unhealthy habits I'm learning but it didn't happen over night it's not gonna change over night, So thank you for helping this dizzy girl keep her head on =)
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options
    troy_huzzah_community.gif

<3 bookmarked.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Thank you so much I have been overwhelmed with the do this do that no eat this no eat that carb or not to carb my head has been spinning so I went on my own eating fresh and starting to exercise after reading this I now feel better knowing I'm not an alien in my thought of can we just keep it simple folks after 46 years of some unhealthy habits I'm learning but it didn't happen over night it's not gonna change over night, So thank you for helping this dizzy girl keep her head on =)
    if it wasn't for my beard, my head probably wouldn't stay on. No stress. You got this.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    1000000000% yes.
This discussion has been closed.