Person called me fat at the gym!

Options

Replies

• Idefinenichelle
    Idefinenichelle Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    11:25 on a Saturday night, low post history...I'm calling BS.

I agree. I call Troll. Looks like a shell fake account.

Well who died and made you God???? Really, how can you possibly make that assumption??? So what if he has few posts, that's not the issue here. Oh, I get it you just want to ASSUME....

Wow such anger and hostility. lol. I can make any assumption I want, it wasn't malicious, simply a statement. I hope you feel better now that you got your ferocity out. lol. :yawn:

Never understood why people always post negative things on here. If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it at all. You're not stating facts, just assumptions.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    11:25 on a Saturday night, low post history...I'm calling BS.

I agree. I call Troll. Looks like a shell fake account.

Well who died and made you God???? Really, how can you possibly make that assumption??? So what if he has few posts, that's not the issue here. Oh, I get it you just want to ASSUME....

Wow such anger and hostility. lol. I can make any assumption I want, it wasn't malicious, simply a statement. I hope you feel better now that you got your ferocity out. lol. :yawn:
    I'm not angry at all I just call a spade a spade. Don't judge him. Would you like people making assumptions about you that we're not true.? No I didn't think so. Getting back to the original post why not give him some support like others are doing. Just sayin..:flowerforyou:
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    What an a-hole. I just cannot believe someone could be such a jerk. It's so disappointing to know there are people like that scattered around us.

And btw, karma will take care of that guy so don't waste any more energy thinking about him.
  • LaLaVee13
    LaLaVee13 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Most gyms have a policy on that type of thing and will boot the guy if you report it.
  • negrita1126
    Options
    there is evil everywhere you go. Don't let someone with absolutely no vested interest in your health discourage you. I agree with the many who said the person should be reported. That type of comment is unacceptable... If I'm not mistaken, you paid a membership fee just like he did. What makes his money more important than yours? You are there for you... no one else. Keep your head up and keep smiling... You will reach your goal... because it's what YOU want.
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    You should report this incident to your gym's management.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    OP is overweight.

OP goes to the gym to better himself and is horribly and cruelly insulted.

OP comes to myfitnessPAL and makes thread

and OP is called (repeatedly) a LIAR, and is further insulted.

Nice job, *kitten* of MFP. Nice job. *highfives to the face all around*

*note: mad props to all the people who took the OP at face value and replied with kindness and sensitivity.
  • Mygsds
    Options
    OP is overweight.

*note: mad props to all the people who took the OP at face value and replied with kindness and sensitivity.

Could not have said it any better.... Kudos to you:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Charliebonce
    Options
    My guess is that this post is total BS! Nobody is going to say something like that, come on people don't be so gullible.

So what? It's not like I'm sending the OP presents to make him feel better. It cost me nothing but a few seconds to respond, same as you. If he's making it up, that doesn't affect me in the slightest.
    Yeah, why are so many people being buttlords in this thread?

If OP is telling the truth, it's just plain nice to give him advice and empathise with his experience.

If he's lying, the whole process (making a comment, saying something nice) takes less than a minute and effects you negatively in no way at all. There is literally no reason to make an 'I think this is a lie' comment. In the best case scenario you're calling out a really pointless fib ('Oh no, someone is making a false claim about something that /actually happens/ (people getting harassed at the gym), better let everyone know how smrt I am and how wrong OP is!!!'), worst case scenario you're just being horrible to someone for no reason at all.

TBH if you read a thread about someone being harassed and you think they're lying about it... just jog on? :/
  • Mygsds
    Options
    My guess is that this post is total BS! Nobody is going to say something like that, come on people don't be so gullible.

So what? It's not like I'm sending the OP presents to make him feel better. It cost me nothing but a few seconds to respond, same as you. If he's making it up, that doesn't affect me in the slightest.
    Yeah, why are so many people being buttlords in this thread?

If OP is telling the truth, it's just plain nice to give him advice and empathise with his experience.

If he's lying, the whole process (making a comment, saying something nice) takes less than a minute and effects you negatively in no way at all. There is literally no reason to make an 'I think this is a lie' comment. In the best case scenario you're calling out a really pointless fib ('Oh no, someone is making a false claim about something that /actually happens/ (people getting harassed at the gym), better let everyone know how smrt I am and how wrong OP is!!!'), worst case scenario you're just being horrible to someone for no reason at all.

TBH if you read a thread about someone being harassed and you think they're lying about it... just jog on? :/

Yes...
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    This thread drew SO MANY first time/barely posted before folk out of the woodwork. I guarentee at least one of them has experienced this scenario somewhere in their lives or they wouldn't have felt the need to use their first post to encourage this OP.

I don't care if this is a real post or not. I know someone reading it has received encouragement from the positive responses, and some of the "new to the forum" people are never coming back. I wonder how many people here on MFP have never had some ignorant person say something mean and discouraging to them? It feels like A LOT.

I'm not saying we should all be rainbows and warm fuzzies, but, holy hell. :grumble:
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    OP is overweight.

This is why I love having you on my FL :heart:
  • johe28
    johe28 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It has not happened to be, but the person would be reported and I would have some words. If someone is working out and making improving their lives, I will support them at the gym (or anywhere). Some people are just mean and don't think.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    It has not happened to be, but the person would be reported and I would have some words. If someone is working out and making improving their lives, I will support them at the gym (or anywhere). Some people are just mean and don't think.

Honestly... If I was working out next to him, and heard someone speak that way... I do believe I'd be pausing my workout to tell the guy to stfu, and to encourage the OP to keep going.

The amount of courage it takes to step out of your comfort zone, to go to a gym full of strangers, to get all sweaty and push out your best effort, when (at the beginning) you feel your best effort is perceived at sub par... WOW! THOSE are the people I respect most!

Hell, I'm in good shape and I get nervous going to a new gym. I worry about what people will think and all that crap. If someone were to accost me, I'd be mortified and devastated, and humiliated... and it'd be a stretch to drag my *kitten* back in there.

OP... I will assume this was your experience and will say to you... I HAVE THE UTMOST ESTEEM FOR YOU! Go back, and keep going. Keep pushing. Keep fighting. And prove to yourself (and to that asshat) that you have every right to be there. Because you do.

Your gym membership pays for that *kitten* to workout and use the machines too.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    So what are you going to do, OP? Are you going to be derailed by a random rude *kitten*?
  • rokkunaito
    Options
    Let no one's criticism deter you from your efforts. People like that are to be ignored: I always believe in cheering on your fellow gymmate. After all, we're all in there together to achieve our own fitness goals, right?
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    You should report this incident to your gym's management.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Nobody is above a swift kick in the balls. Just sayin.

You mam, are correct. Some assholic comment from some dude? Knee/foot to the nuts.
  • EmilyGetsSkinny95
    EmilyGetsSkinny95 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    People make me mad.
  • OneDimSim
    OneDimSim Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym today and was on the elliptical and a man came up to me and told me I look like I was about to break the machine. I asked him what he meant and he told me a person my size should not be using expensive equipment and that his gym membership fees were contributing to fat people like me breaking gym equipment. I don't feel like ever going back to the gym. Has anyone ever had a similar problem?

I started @ 366 lbs at a Gym and all people ever said were encouraging words as they noticed me shrinking. People (even the muscle heads) would walk up and say..."Great Job!" "Look at you!" "Keep it up!"

I am soooo sorry this happened to you....if you were of color or a minority religion, such harassment wold NOT BE TOLERATED....but for some reason fat shaming is somehow acceptable?? (seriously cussing in my head right now....)

He is a complete f***nut....IGNORE HIS IGNORANT *kitten*. You are doing great and doing just what you need to do for your health. PLEASE don't let one ignorant idiot deter your efforts. I PROMISE if you stick it out, it will be worth it. Hold you head HIGH my friend.....