Women's opinion, Men's swimwear

Options
14567810»

Replies

• Losing75byDecember
    Losing75byDecember Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Forget the swimwear, give me a man wearing a pizza!
  • SpamLamb
    SpamLamb Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Speedo? Spee-DON'T!
  • sanderdejonge
    sanderdejonge Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    An appropriate use of the Speedo.

c9c9363db04fe322a1b6702cff899999.jpg?itok=CCgN2inB

You're welcome.

god, seriously: thanks. i almost never comment on things like this, but they've made mad improvements on the speedo, yeah?

Just stopping by to point out that they are indeed Olympic swimmers. The ONLY guys who get to rock these are these guys and a handful of others in the pool simultaneously. If you aren't one of them, then NO.

I swim in a pool in Rome 4 days a week. I see alot of good bods like this---even on the older guys. In Italy, Speedos are it for swimming. I really don't understand the problem American women have with them, except perhaps the overweight population in the States make it an eyesore. I'll point out that Italians eat alot of carbs and have great bods overall--but that's another thread.

Same here in the Netherlands. I actually frown upon guys who wear board shorts to the pool. Same goes for bikinis. You just don't swim lanes in board shorts or in bikinis; it's weird.

Not only that, they usually don't swim very well, so you don't want to be in a lane with them. The serious swimmers wear appropriate swimwear--speedos and tank suits.

Aren't your lanes divided incrementally from slow - fast lanes? During free swimming we also have two lanes at the outer right reserved as 'competition lanes' so we can swim at our own pace.
  • bkjk997
    bkjk997 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    There is only one answer.

Board shorts.

Speedos are not attractive. They serve a purpose for elite Olympic swimmers because they allow better freedom of movement and streamlined swimming. They serve a purpose for bodybuilders in competition because they allow judges to see glute, quad, and hamstring definition.

If you are not wearing a speedo to swim in the Olympics or you haven't found yourself in a bodybuilding competition, please do not wear them.

As a woman who lives on a beach and sees all kinds, just put on the board shorts and show off your chest and back. We can make a determination as to the fitness of the rest of you by the fit of said shorts.

Oh, and trunks are for dudes over 55.

This x 1000.

I am from Quebec, which unfortunately, seems to be the freakin' speedo capital of the world. I don't know why. It's horrible. I have yet to meet one woman who likes them. Please, please, do not wear a speedo. Ever. Women will make fun of you behind your back. I've been at beaches where women all around were laughing at the guy in the speedo and he was clueless. It's mean, and I don't do that, but it happens. Speedos are simply not attractive to women.

Now, perhaps gay men find them attractive. That I wouldn't know. But women do not.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    after browsing this is it apparent to wear a speedo you also need to shave your entire body.

I guess men with body hair must stick to actual shorts.
  • Sbrn_
    Sbrn_ Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    What's with all the speedo hate? Board shorts and trunks are ugly IMO. Speedos all the way, especially on a well-sculpted body. :wink:
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Boardshorts or swim trunks.
  • sue_stef
    sue_stef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I love the double standard here.

If a guy wears a speedo with a less than perfect body, it is gross. But we are supposed to accept women in bikinis regardless of her fitness level.

True. Nudity for every one.

Sounds good to me.

Sunburned junk ain't no joke!

you speak like a man with experience, you have my sympathies for your over toasted goodies.

OP wear what you want and what you feel comfortable in
    I have a hard time looking at guys on the beach they usually end up being my kids age
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Boardshorts are for boys and surfers. Like actual surfers with a surfboard.

This is probably the reason for my strong bias on this subject
    Let's just hope you don't wear board shorts and a wetsuit simultaneously.

No. There's definitely a place for speedos. Under wet suits and swimming laps are two of them. I always think of this question in terms of what guys are wearing to the beach. Again, I have an admitted natural bias here. Speedos on Florida beaches are frowned upon. If you're in Europe go right ahead.

I don't like to wear anything under my wetsuit. It's so uncomfy. :grumble:

Doesn't the neoprene pull your junk hair? I mean, if it pulls my arm hair, it's got to pull junk hair.
  • sanderdejonge
    sanderdejonge Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Boardshorts are for boys and surfers. Like actual surfers with a surfboard.

This is probably the reason for my strong bias on this subject
    Let's just hope you don't wear board shorts and a wetsuit simultaneously.

No. There's definitely a place for speedos. Under wet suits and swimming laps are two of them. I always think of this question in terms of what guys are wearing to the beach. Again, I have an admitted natural bias here. Speedos on Florida beaches are frowned upon. If you're in Europe go right ahead.

I don't like to wear anything under my wetsuit. It's so uncomfy. :grumble:

Doesn't the neoprene pull your junk hair? I mean, if it pulls my arm hair, it's got to pull junk hair.
    No idea? :laugh:
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

You're welcome.

god, seriously: thanks. i almost never comment on things like this, but they've made mad improvements on the speedo, yeah?

Just stopping by to point out that they are indeed Olympic swimmers. The ONLY guys who get to rock these are these guys and a handful of others in the pool simultaneously. If you aren't one of them, then NO.

I swim in a pool in Rome 4 days a week. I see alot of good bods like this---even on the older guys. In Italy, Speedos are it for swimming. I really don't understand the problem American women have with them, except perhaps the overweight population in the States make it an eyesore. I'll point out that Italians eat alot of carbs and have great bods overall--but that's another thread.

Same here in the Netherlands. I actually frown upon guys who wear board shorts to the pool. Same goes for bikinis. You just don't swim lanes in board shorts or in bikinis; it's weird.

Not only that, they usually don't swim very well, so you don't want to be in a lane with them. The serious swimmers wear appropriate swimwear--speedos and tank suits.

Aren't your lanes divided incrementally from slow - fast lanes? During free swimming we also have two lanes at the outer right reserved as 'competition lanes' so we can swim at our own pace.

No, in our pool everyone swims where they want---and it's a disaster certain days. We also have the outside lanes being used for lessons. Spring is the worst since everyone arrives to get in swimsuit shape for the beach by June.

Yesterday there was a thread with a girl asking opinions if she could wear a bikini at 5'5" 160lbs. The response was eyeopening. The women were overwhemingly positive--"you rock girl!" "don't let anyone tell you you can't" etc, etc. The double-standard here was incredible. For her the response was yes--for the guy asking opinions on wearing a Speedo, the response was overwhelmingly negative. There's something not right about it. I guess I'd like to know why, since it makes no sense to me.
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    No no no no no no no no speedos

This!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

You're welcome.

No, in our pool everyone swims where they want---and it's a disaster certain days. We also have the outside lanes being used for lessons. Spring is the worst since everyone arrives to get in swimsuit shape for the beach by June.

Yesterday there was a thread with a girl asking opinions if she could wear a bikini at 5'5" 160lbs. The response was eyeopening. The women were overwhemingly positive--"you rock girl!" "don't let anyone tell you you can't" etc, etc. The double-standard here was incredible. For her the response was yes--for the guy asking opinions on wearing a Speedo, the response was overwhelmingly negative. There's something not right about it. I guess I'd like to know why, since it makes no sense to me.

I think that you are taking this thread entirely too seriously. Anytime dudes are talking about speedos there are bound to be plenty of tongue-in-cheek answers. And of course there is a double standard, if you've ever been shopping with a woman for swimwear you know it can be a seriously traumatic experience for them. I personally have never been traumatized by my swimwear, though I'm sure I've traumatized others when I have chosen to wear a speedo . . .lol
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    There is only one answer.

Board shorts.

Speedos are not attractive. They serve a purpose for elite Olympic swimmers because they allow better freedom of movement and streamlined swimming. They serve a purpose for bodybuilders in competition because they allow judges to see glute, quad, and hamstring definition.

If you are not wearing a speedo to swim in the Olympics or you haven't found yourself in a bodybuilding competition, please do not wear them.

As a woman who lives on a beach and sees all kinds, just put on the board shorts and show off your chest and back. We can make a determination as to the fitness of the rest of you by the fit of said shorts.

Oh, and trunks are for dudes over 55.

This x 1000.

I am from Quebec, which unfortunately, seems to be the freakin' speedo capital of the world. I don't know why. It's horrible. I have yet to meet one woman who likes them. Please, please, do not wear a speedo. Ever. Women will make fun of you behind your back. I've been at beaches where women all around were laughing at the guy in the speedo and he was clueless. It's mean, and I don't do that, but it happens. Speedos are simply not attractive to women.

Now, perhaps gay men find them attractive. That I wouldn't know. But women do not.

I must be a gay man then....?

I must be the first gay man to give birth and breastfeed a baby (twice, in fact). Maybe I should call News of the World and get my 5 minutes of fame.....?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think that you are taking this thread entirely too seriously. Anytime dudes are talking about speedos there are bound to be plenty of tongue-in-cheek answers. And of course there is a double standard, if you've ever been shopping with a woman for swimwear you know it can be a seriously traumatic experience for them. I personally have never been traumatized by my swimwear, though I'm sure I've traumatized others when I have chosen to wear a speedo . . .lol
    [/quote]

You, may think I'm taking it too seriously, but I don't understand why you guys are agreeing with the majority of the women. Why don't you just say (as they do) "dude, if you look good wear it, and don't let anyone tell you different". Women's opinions are ruling the roost here. For their own, they're all sisterly and careful. Only a couple said that at 5'5", and 160lbs maybe she should look at how much muscle she has before wearing a bikini. In my opinion she should weigh 150lbs before wearing one, but if she does, or doesn't, or guys (the gay comment was really out of line) do or don't wear speedos isn't the question, it's the pressure to conform to what others think. As I said--the contrast between the two threads was startling--and injust.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Speedos outside of competition to me (no matter your shape) look odd and out of place, but outside the US they are the norm.