Husband Is Mad I Am Fat

Options

Replies

• logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the advice for joint counselling. It is never recommended where one partner is abusive (and he is).
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Going from supermodel to 200 pounds overweight isn't even a tiny bit fair to him. Of course he is lashing out about it. That is a HUGE amount of weight to gain and expect him to be happy with. You have completely let yourself go. I would be mad too if I were him. I'm not trying to be mean, just honest.

I have to agree. My fiancee has been riding me a bit for the fact that I let myself go in recent years (15% bodyfat to 28% bodyfat in 3 years) and I get what you are saying about the rebellious streak in you not wanting to give up to someone nagging but the fact of the matter is it IS important for my health and it IS NOT what she signed on for when she agreed to marry me. People who like to over-romanticize relationships acting like physical appearance has nothing to do with what it means to be a couple are not being very practical. Yeah, it matters...I admit that and I'm trying to get back to where I was both for her and to hold up my end of the deal and also for myself and my health.
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    You could get rid of 140 lbs plus in an instant!
    PS I am married and I have 3 kids nearly grown up, and I have a full-time job.
  • nxiety
    nxiety Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Sounds like something else is going on for him to only recently mention it or seem to care. Talk to him rather than us(venting is perfectly fine and understandable but the issue needs to be resolved between the two of you.)
  • belanna5
    belanna5 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The question you might want to ask yourself, and then him is "What was that all about?"
    His attack on you makes me wonder what is really eating him.
    There is an old saying, so old it might be new to you.
    "If it's not your sh**, just duck."

This. And, since I'm always the one saying the hard stuff... Does it seem to someone else that this is only an excuse and maybe there's something (one) else?
    Sorry Op, but being there, done that myself.
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I don't get why you are working 2 jobs and taking care of the house and kids? Do you have a bunch of expenses? Does he not make much money?

I don't think anyone here can solve your marital problems. Losing weight isn't going to make the household more fair to you because right now it isn't at all. Lose the weight for you and your health.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    The question you might want to ask yourself, and then him is "What was that all about?"

This. And, since I'm always the one saying the hard stuff... Does it seem to someone else that this is only an excuse and maybe there's something (one) else?

If my husband gained 200 lbs, me telling him I want him to change would not be an excuse. It would be honesty. And am middle aged, my husband is older than me, he is neither athletic nor thin, he is actually overweight and never looked like a model, and still 200 lbs would not be something I could compromise with, sorry. If it was for reasons beyond his control, or if I at least saw him try, I would be there supporting him. If I saw the weight keep increasing at a crazy rate and him ignoring it completely and just letting go, me telling me I hate it would not be because of any hidden motives, but reality: this would not be the person I fell in love with.
  • belanna5
    Options

If my husband gained 200 lbs, me telling him I want him to change would not be an excuse. It would be honesty. And am middle aged, my husband is older than me, he is neither athletic nor thin, he is actually overweight and never looked like a model, and still 200 lbs would not be something I could compromise with, sorry. If it was for reasons beyond his control, or if I at least saw him try, I would be there supporting him. If I saw the weight keep increasing at a crazy rate and him ignoring it completely and just letting go, me telling me I hate it would not be because of any hidden motives, but reality: this would not be the person I fell in love with.

The Op said she is working two jobs and taking care of two kids (his kids) and the house and he is away from home 5 nights a week. If you didn't support your SO in everything just for this, you should ask yourself if you want a SO or a housemaid.
  • jakkidoodles
    Options
    My honest opinion.

It sounds like he is finding excuses to pin his unhappiness on you. Whatever it is that he is doing.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

The Op said she is working two jobs and taking care of two kids (his kids) and the house and he is away from home 5 nights a week. If you didn't support your SO in everything just for this, you should ask yourself if you want a SO or a housemaid.

You seem to be reading a lot between the lines that was not included in a rather short forum post of a complete stranger. Exactly how do you know that the children are his children and not her children or their children? That was just an odd thing to emphasize considering I went back to her post and re-read it and she said nothing like that at all.

Perhaps, being MFP, we should focus on possible solutions to weight loss so that she can improve her health rather than try to make judgments on her marital life based solely on a paragraph long post posted out of anger/frustration.
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Best reply

There are 3 sides to every story - Your side; His side; and the Truth! Most of the time we only know our side. Sounds like you both are tired and stressed. My ex-husband went to the other extreme and didn't want me to lose weight. If I said I was dieting ...the local store would all of a sudden have a sale on my favorite candy bar and being the loving husband that he was he would pickup up a couple for me :devil: By the time all was said and done he was scared I would leave him for somebody else if I was slim and trim and didn't feel like he was living up to my expectations :frown: Now, many years after our divorce,:brokenheart: I understand that I wasn't the issue - he had his own issues I was just an outlet.

Be kind to yourself, think about some counseling for the whole family and decide what you want to do for yourself and do it!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

Like I said, two different issues: he needs to start acting like a husband and support her, she needs to lose weight. These are not related to each other. If she is depressed because of him, then she needs to solve this problem, not make ignoring her looks and health a tool for "revenge". He cannot claim he is not helping around the home because she has gained weight, she cannot use him being lazy as an excuse to not lose weight.
  • belanna5
    Options

You seem to be reading a lot between the lines that was not included in a rather short forum post of a complete stranger. Exactly how do you know that the children are his children and not her children or their children? That was just an odd thing to emphasize considering I went back to her post and re-read it and she said nothing like that at all.

Perhaps, being MFP, we should focus on possible solutions to weight loss so that she can improve her health rather than try to make judgments on her marital life.

First, she said they met 15 years ago, saying the kids are his kids is not a huge step.
    Second, oh, so you are saying that if your SO have children from another relationship, you wouldn't support what they did for them? Nice.
    Third. Losing weight because someone else says they don't like you, is not going to work, she should do it for herlself not for him. And you are considering only her body. What about her mind?
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    What an *kitten*. Don't get discouraged, you know that you want to do it for you anyway, so do it! I would like to say though that you CAN lose weight regardless of how difficult, complicated, stressful, and busy life is. All it takes is eating less. If the moving more part is complicated for you at the moment just focus on portion control for now, you already have to eat so just make sure you eat less and that's all it takes.

Sorry you have to deal with that, and you guys should seek counseling for real.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    He doesn't believe it's possible, and doesn't believe in you. But it sounds to me like you don't either.

You just listed all the ways in which it is an incredibly hard task for you. You're right, they aren't excuses, they are facts and they can be barriers. Every single one of us has barriers. The first step is identifying your barriers, as you have done! Then you need to sit down with a pen and paper and think about ways in which you CAN work around your lifestyle/kids/jobs/partner.

Even if you're too busy or don't feel like exercising after all that work, in your hands is a lot of power with how you eat. That is where I would start. Where could you improve? What can you cook to feed everyone that is also healthy?

I think it IS possible, and you need to do it for you! believe in yourself.
    You can take up your frustration and anger, and do it to prove him the hell wrong! if you're consistent and share results, maybe he might start believing and get on board with it.
    This is NOT having a go at you, but in my opinion my own partner doesn't believe in me reaching my goal weight either, and I think part of that is that I've never given him much reason to believe I can do it.
    Maybe you just have to grab that and show him.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Although he sounds like in not a very good position to comment, the quote about using busy schedule and feeding kids.... that is right. Only you are putting food into your body....
  • TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You need time for you to be YOU, not a mother, not a wife just time out maybe once or twice a week to just do something to make you happy, whether it is just an hour's peace to read a book or go for a walk something that is just for you to relax.

Do you not have a close friend or family member who could maybe babysit for you for a couple of hours each week, just to help you out.

I work 2 jobs and have no children or husband so I can imagine how much more work this is to deal with.

It sounds like your husband isn't at home enough to realise how much work goes into looking after 2 children, I visited my friend who's husband was working away and I was amazed at the constant conveyor belt of chores to do with 2 small children at home, the washing machine was on constantly, she was up anywhere from 5am and until 7pm at night she didn't start to relax. When I pointed out to her how much work she did, she replied, "can you please tell my husband that because he doesn't see it!!"

Does your husband ever look after the children when he is home? Perhaps if he spends a day in your shoes so to speak he might realise just how much hard work children are 24/7.

Good luck and hope you get some time to yourself x
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    wow, you need some you time... my hubs said that crap to me once and it has haunted him since....
  • titaMTL
    titaMTL Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Jasmine,

I agree with the other comments. I don't know your relationship with your husband and it's not my place to give my opinion. However, you need to live for yourself a little bit. Screw what he thinks about your weight. I wanted to share that I started Focus T 25 yesterday and it's just 25 minutes per day. I guess you could give it a try if you want to loose weight and get back in shape.
    Good luck in your journey and keep in mind that with everything you do around the house and for your kids, you deserve a happy life (starting with loving yourself)!