Odd assumptions

Options

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    That I'm mean because I have a b!tch face and I don't sugar coat my opinion. But if I were a man, no one would make that assumption, they'd just think I was a strong-willed dude. God forbid a woman has an opinion, and shares!
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    My co-workers all assume that I'm failing at this whole weight loss thing because some of what I eat isn't what they consider healthy diet food. I hit my calorie goal and I'm losing steadily so whatever.
  • JojoEffeckt164
    JojoEffeckt164 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    since I´m dieting some of my friends thought that I would commit self-chastisement! They were so surprised when I told them that I love carbs and that I eat rice pudding with sugar and cinnamon several evenings a week!
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    People assume I'm part white...

...when I'm half Hispanic....

THEN they assume I speak spanish.

...I don't. lol :noway:

LOL... one of my best friends is Mexican and doesn't speak a word of Spanish... it's hilarious when we go out and the Hispanic guys try to hit on her... you KNOW they don't believe for a moment that she really can't understand them! :bigsmile:

I have a good friend who is a light skinned black guy. When he was living in NYC, people would always come up to him speaking Spanish because they assumed he was Puerto Rican. It would make him so mad. :laugh:

On the other hand, people will think I'm white, until I start speaking Spanish.
  • kayla_who
    kayla_who Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I suffer from BRF - B!tchy Resting Face, therefore I am a b!tch
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure most people think I'm a ***** and don't like them, but really I'm just quiet and reserved. it takes me awhile to warm up to somebody...
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    People assume that because I date with diversity that they know "what I like".... If they see someone of another race they'll elbow me and say "see that guy over there"?? That's like me saying because you were once married to a blonde, you must be attracted to every blonde you see.... ummm.... seriously?? :grumble:
  • 1HappyRedhead
    Options
    :bigsmile:
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    People assume I'm part white...

...when I'm half Hispanic....

THEN they assume I speak spanish.

...I don't. lol :noway:

LOL... one of my best friends is Mexican and doesn't speak a word of Spanish... it's hilarious when we go out and the Hispanic guys try to hit on her... you KNOW they don't believe for a moment that she really can't understand them! :bigsmile:

I have a good friend who is a light skinned black guy. When he was living in NYC, people would always come up to him speaking Spanish because they assumed he was Puerto Rican. It would make him so mad. :laugh:

On the other hand, people will think I'm white, until I start speaking Spanish.

I"d love to see their faces.... :bigsmile:

Oh it's quite hilarious. They have a look on their face that screams "Did I say anything that could get me in trouble in the past few minutes?"
  • 1HappyRedhead
    Options
    Oh it's quite hilarious. They have a look on their face that screams "Did I say anything that could get me in trouble in the past few minutes?"
    [/quote]

TOO funny!! :bigsmile:
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    People either think I'm a b**** (not sure why) or they think I'm way nicer than I really am. I'm somewhere in between.

I also love when I can tell a server at a restaurant assumes my husband and I are crappy tippers because we're young. Not the case.

Some people that don't know me well also seem to think that I'm the person to talk to about their emotions. I'm not.
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I suffer from BRF - B!tchy Resting Face, therefore I am a b!tch

Me too! I even have a frank discussion with my classes about this the first week of school, letting all my students know that I'm not angry, or sad, or want to kill them, that's just what my face does.

My students probably assume that I'm super lame and never go out or do anything remotely fun, and that I'm a killjoy. Not sure about people that aren't minors, they probably just think I'm angry about something. Oh well...
  • tk2222
    tk2222 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    People assume i'm a vegetarian/vegan a lot because I'm fairly politically active...the conflation of ideology and stereotypical lifestyle imagery just kills me on that one.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    -People assume that my husband and I have a lot of money. We make less than most people I know, but we are really good at being thrifty.

I've had so many weird money assumptions, going both directions. My husband and I are CRAZY-frugal and live beneath our means. I encounter very few people who really "get" our lifestyle. It is assumed that we're poorer or in worse financial shape than we are in most cases. Whether spoken directly or implied, I get this stuff:

"Oh so you guys rent? I bet you could buy a house with this special loan I heard about..." (We love the freedom of renting. I've owned and sold two different homes in the past and my husband could not care less about homeownership)

"Don't you hate how credit cards charge so much interest!?" (We pay ours off monthly and have zero debt)

"Wouldn't you love to be able to buy a new gigantic SUV?" (We could do this today, with relative ease, but our cars are clean, not that old, paid for and run well...we'll replace them with similar small economy cars when needed but not right away)

"How do you guys have the money to go off on all those fun trips and buy new clothes all of the time - but you don't have cable/satellite/the new iPhone???" (Thrift stores and different priorities!)

I totally get this! We have:
    -Nice cars
    -Big house
    -College fund for the baby

Besides that, there's nothing really we splurged on. We don't have:
    -Credit card debt (we pay ours off every month too)
    -Car payments
    -Any kind of debt other than our mortgage.
    -Frequent vacations
    -Cable/internet
    -And we almost never eat outside the home.

See, I think that's so cool!! Even though you guys clearly have different priorities than we do (we are childfree by choice which is a big part of it I'm sure)...it sounds really similar to the way we think :-) I bet you have at least a few friends and acquaintances who think you guys are major ballers AND/OR struggling with debt. haha
  • marleyskye05
    Options
    I can only wonder what people think about me or assume about me upon first meeting. I honestly don't know.
  • megnay
    megnay Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    People assume I am promiscuous because I can be slightly aggressive and appear confident with men... Which is SO far from the truth!
  • Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    People meet me and think im "Mr Nice" (really horrible label) then they find out I ride a motorbike and an atheist, all of a sudden I'm evil personified.
  • megnay
    megnay Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    People often assume I'm Spanish as well. I find it odd that people are so eager to categorize.
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    People assume I don't date white guys. Wrong. :noway:

People assume because I laugh at their jokes, I am interested to hear more. Wrong. :noway:

People assume because I don't eat meat I then must eat nothing but salad. Wrong. :noway:

...my longest (3.5 year) relationship was with a blonde hair/blue eyed guy; I am a very polite person. Peace not war? And also....

.....CARBS mmmmm nomzzzzz :love: :love: :love:
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I've had people assume that I'm European (I'm American). I guess they also assume that I should have had boyfriends or something but I never did.