Dont be afraid to EAT MORE ladies!

Options

Replies

• belanna5
    belanna5 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Maybe this topic should be called: Try and eat at your TDEE -20% if you're looking to lose weight?

My TDEE -20% (according to the ever popular Scooby website) IS 1200 (1281 to be exact) so eating more for me WOULD cause weight gain.

I'm very happy to hear OP that you're enjoying being able to eat more on your weight loss journey and MFP is a great website, mostly. I wish you all the best of luck!

Are you sure that isn't your BMR? Scooby has me at like 1700 calories to maintain my weight, which is ludicrous and to -20% is 1400...which I would never eat that little. I actually maintain at 2300. Calculators are just that, simple machines that cannot factor in all the variables but that seems like a crazy low amount for someone who is 5'7". I'm only 5'3.5 " and getting a higher -20%

Maybe you are younger?
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Not everyone can eat more. The older you get the less you need to eat, so for me my TDEE is 1900.... in a few years I'm guessing even less.... soo it will be less than 1200 I'm guessing & if I eat more then I'll gain.

I don't think people need to eat if they are not hungry, and have real hunger not just think they are hungry. I for one am not going to put food in my mouth unless I know I am hungry.

But this topic has been done to death. How about letting people do what they want & you concentrate on your own life & eating? I don't care what others do.

I think you might be hangry; this wouldn't happen if you'd eat more. :flowerforyou:
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    Maybe this topic should be called: Try and eat at your TDEE -20% if you're looking to lose weight?

My TDEE -20% (according to the ever popular Scooby website) IS 1200 (1281 to be exact) so eating more for me WOULD cause weight gain.

I'm very happy to hear OP that you're enjoying being able to eat more on your weight loss journey and MFP is a great website, mostly. I wish you all the best of luck!

Are you sure that isn't your BMR? Scooby has me at like 1700 calories to maintain my weight, which is ludicrous and to -20% is 1400...which I would never eat that little. I actually maintain at 2300. Calculators are just that, simple machines that cannot factor in all the variables but that seems like a crazy low amount for someone who is 5'7". I'm only 5'3.5 " and getting a higher -20%

Maybe you are younger?

:flowerforyou:
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

Maybe you are younger?

I input I was 65 yo. I'm 26, in actuality, but I was curious the difference.

I gain about 200 calories for being 26, as opposed to 65 but in reality I'd be eating 600 more to maintain than what it gives me
  • ademiter
    ademiter Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's about eating MORE. I think it's about eating ENOUGH of the RIGHT foods.
  • Suzmp85
    Suzmp85 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I try eat the normal 2,000 recommended a day calories for women. I don't like to restrict to much as it would stress me out and overwhelm me if I did..I try to keep it to about 2K even if I burn some calories.

Eat-2K
    1 hr workout- 500 calories
    NET 1500.

Still get to eat more and be happy. :)
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Well I for one will definitely think about eating more ladies now ;) hahahaha
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Ugh
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    YES!:wink:
  • ademiter
    ademiter Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I meant that the philosophy of eating MORE isn't going to do any good unless you are eating the right foods. I never said anything about eating less.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your thoughtful post, OP. However, I don't want to engage in cannibalism! :bigsmile:

Just kidding. You have a good point, but you really don't eat more to lose weight, you eat more to properly fuel your body for whatever your activity level is. if you exercise you will naturally need to eat more.

Here's an excellent article on why eating low calories and exercising your butt AND stressing out about how much a week you lose, etc., off are not good things: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1254955-metabolic-damage-alan-aragon-interviews-lyle-mcdonald

You still have to stay under your TDEE to lose weight.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Not everyone can eat more. The older you get the less you need to eat, so for me my TDEE is 1900.... in a few years I'm guessing even less.... soo it will be less than 1200 I'm guessing & if I eat more then I'll gain.

I don't think people need to eat if they are not hungry, and have real hunger not just think they are hungry. I for one am not going to put food in my mouth unless I know I am hungry.

But this topic has been done to death. How about letting people do what they want & you concentrate on your own life & eating? I don't care what others do.

Topics like these are what helped me realize I didn't have to be miserable to lose the weight, definitely more helpful than the ones whining that the latest fad diet didn't work.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    There's some evidence that eating more actually does raise NEAT, which results in increased TDEE. I'm experiencing this a bit right now. My tested TDEE has been 1950 for the past year and a half. But right now I'm eating above that, have been for a month, and I haven't gained anything. My suspicion is that the extra calories (specifically carbs) are giving me more energy and making me more active throughout the day.

Which is a good thing because 1950 is a pretty low maintenance for a person who exercises 5 days per week.

Also to those who do have a lower TDEE I'd say this: my TDEE is lower than a lot of the ladies in this thread. But I would never discourage someone from trying out eating more for a couple of months at least. If a person CAN eat more, then they should imo.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

This makes me confused.

Some posters, who are in the 40s have responded, stating eating more works for them.

I'm curious to know from those people who are 40s and eating, over 1500 calories; what types of workouts and how often and at what intensity are these workouts done?

I'm 5'4, 165, 45 y/o female, desk job. Workout at least 3 times a week, sometimes 5 (rollerblading, stairmaster, 5x5, elliptical, walking at least 4 miles).

Why when I tried eating at 1600 plus exercise I gained (tired it for about 6 months)? Yes, the gain was slow, but i gained. It seems I can only lose at 1400, with at least 5 hours of exercise a week.:grumble: I've had my thyroid and hormones checked... all good.

I have a sweet tooth, but isn't it calories in/calories out?

I've just given up and went back to 1200. :cry:

I'm 42 y/o female, I've gone through early menopause, eating around 1700 calories a day and I have a serious sweet tooth.

I lift 3 times a week, short runs twice a week, and ride my bike for all my errands as well as 1 long bike ride every week.

When you were eating at 1600 calories were you weighing your food or estimating it?
  • claudie08
    claudie08 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Well after switching from weight watchers for many years decided to give mfp a try at first I started with what mfp set me up with which was 1440 calories + exercise but found this method was too messy and sometimes I felt bad for eating back my exercise calories. So after many many posts of annoying people and stressing myself out that I would be eating too much I took there advise followed TDEE -20% which gave me 1700 calories, this worked out me eating a lot more then when doing weight watchers ever with all free fruit,veg salad and weekly points so I was a little nervous! Any way today been my big first week weigh in I have lost 2lb!! I only ever use to lose 0.5-1lb a week max on weight watchers so maybe I wasn't eating enough back then who knows? I'm thrilled with this loss as I haven't denied myself any foods even ate 2 Easter eggs which I won at work sending me over my calories this week, before I would have usually thought I had failed and binged, but I tracked EVERYTHING even though I hated seeing numbers in red and stopped at that. So what I'm trying to say is don't me afraid to eat more like I was 1200calories or less doesn't mean better weight loss, be happy eat more and lose weight :) xxx

I have the same problem. While on WW, I was given 36 daily points to eat. I was afraid at first to consume so much, but found that If I ate below my points (5 points or more), I gained weight. If I ate at or very close to the 36, I would lose weight. Staying on this program, I lost 46 lbs in 8 months (with exercise 2-3 times a week). Now, on MFP, I have daily calories of 1510 and have lost only 10 lbs in. Although I am happy for that loss, the problem is that I've been doing this for 5 months. I understand that weight-loss is not linear, but the way my weight is just going up and down, I feel as if I'm just losing and gaining the same few pounds over and over again.

I exercise 2-3 times a week, doing cardio and strength and wear a FitBit Zip. I do eat back some of my calories, but I cannot seem to get out of this rut. I was thinking of just using the WW conversion which comes to 1880 calories (not sure if this is correct due to conflicting conversion information out there. Some say it's 40 calories per point, others say 50). So I decided to calculate my TDEE, which is 2069. I want to lose 80 more lbs, so at 20%, my TDEE is 1655.

I'm not sure if this is correct and have become very frustrated at the whole thing. I think that perhaps I should stay in the range of 1600-1800 calories per day, consuming a % of what I burn.

I am open to constructive advise.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Mmmmm.....you might want to rethink the part above I put in bold.

First of all, very few people maintain on 1200 calorie a day. You would have to super duper short and very teeny.

Yes, your TDEE does go down as you get older, but not by as much as you seem to think. For example, I am 52, weight 140 pounds, and am 5 ft. 4. I weight lift M,W,F and run T,TH, and sometimes get in a run and/or walk on the weekends. According to calculators, my TDEE is around 2,200. (which is a little low in reality).

A year ago when I was 183 and one year younger, my TDEE was around 2,500.

When I'm 62 years old and slowed down a bit, my TDEE will be around 1,964.

When I'm 72 years old and slowed down some more, my TDEE will be around 1,891. Even if I'm sedentary, my TDEE will be 1464.

I agree that people don't need to eat if they aren't hungry, but eating when not hungry is what got people fat in the first place.

As for the rest..yeah, rude. :wink:
  • spicy618
    Options

This makes me confused.

Some posters, who are in the 40s have responded, stating eating more works for them.

I'm curious to know from those people who are 40s and eating, over 1500 calories; what types of workouts and how often and at what intensity are these workouts done?

I'm 5'4, 165, 45 y/o female, desk job. Workout at least 3 times a week, sometimes 5 (rollerblading, stairmaster, 5x5, elliptical, walking at least 4 miles).

Why when I tried eating at 1600 plus exercise I gained (tired it for about 6 months)? Yes, the gain was slow, but i gained. It seems I can only lose at 1400, with at least 5 hours of exercise a week.:grumble: I've had my thyroid and hormones checked... all good.

I have a sweet tooth, but isn't it calories in/calories out?

I've just given up and went back to 1200. :cry:

I'm 42 y/o female, I've gone through early menopause, eating around 1700 calories a day and I have a serious sweet tooth.

I lift 3 times a week, short runs twice a week, and ride my bike for all my errands as well as 1 long bike ride every week.

When you were eating at 1600 calories were you weighing your food or estimating it?

Hi,

A little of both. :blushing: Only because I've been counting for years and have a lot of the foods already in my diary. I have measuring cups and digital scale. I usually overestimate when I do estimate. :wink:

However, last week I decided to really, really measure and weigh ever single thing i can. I will see if this is my problem.

Thanks for responding. :flowerforyou:
  • spicy618
    Options
    Thanks to all for your stats.

I know i can't be a "special snowflake". This gives me hope, that when I do find the right numbers for me, I will be in at a weight i'm happy with.

• levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for your stats.

I know i can't be a "special snowflake". This gives me hope, that when I do find the right numbers for me, I will be in at a weight i'm happy with.

I hope you find a balance that works for you. I was eating 1400-1500 when I started and am able to eat 1700+ now and lose but I lift heavy weights. I was scared to increase what I ate, but ended up being pleasantly surprised.
  • amberrenee813
    amberrenee813 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    agreed