Why does Planet Fitness get a bad rap?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    People are always going to say there gym is better do this or do that, Personally I go to PF and i'm fine with it they do have a lack of weights for lifting but once im ready for that stage in my journey ill see what exercise are compatible with what they have. I like it i see people work out there in the same outfit as previous gyms i went to and i still haven't seen this lunk alarm go off yet

I've been working out there since last October. I've yet to hear the lunk alarm go off either.
    It's because "lunks" aren't allowed. Guaranteed if I worked out there, you'd hear it because I'd hit some heavy deadlifts that would cause a grunt here and there.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    So, even when solicited, we're not allowed to share our rationales for not choosing to spend our money at PF and instead spending it on other facilities?

I was referring more to the general backlash against PF on forums like this one from people who don't go to PF (and never have), but they damn sure love to talk about it and create snarky gifs mocking the people that do go to PF (like the one shown in the OP). There's typically a PF thread every week where people love to chime in about "but you can't deadlift there!" and on and on, when the reality is most people that workout don't want to deadlift and no one's forcing you to pay the $10 to join PF. With most of these threads it goes well beyond sharing a reasoned opinion when solicited and it's really more of a PF complainer bandwagon. Just my take on it though.
    It's because "lunks" aren't allowed. Guaranteed if I worked out there, you'd hear it because I'd hit some heavy deadlifts that would cause a grunt here and there.

Actually they'd get you before you even started, since I don't believe deadlifts are allowed there. :tongue:
  • schonkreuz
    schonkreuz Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I only pay $19 a month for a gym with free weights. I went to a Planet Fitness to walk around and give it a chance but when the people tried to explain to me that a smith machine and free weights are the same I left.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If it were called something like "Planet Low Intensity" or something, and weren't so intensely hypocritical with the "no judgment" concept, it would probably fly under the radar a bit better.

But a huge part of PF's marketing is demonizing people who want to work hard, fabricating a conflict, and selling a "safe" space for insecure people.
  • sushidulces
    sushidulces Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, if it's a "judgement free zone" then it should be judgement free from ANYONE. That's simply not the case. If they are going to say "no lunks, gym bunnies, etc." then just come out and say that they are a gym for the health improvement. Calling themselves Planet Fitness and dissuading some really fit individuals to attend is hypocritical.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I had no idea they single out fit people. That seems counterproductive. I know I have gotten excellent advice as a beginner from people that spend a great deal of time at the gym. I always wondered why people that are really into the gym make fun of PF. Now I know!
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Their advertising is insulting and achieves a high level of stupid. Otherwise, I wouldn't care.
  • victoriaasmall
    victoriaasmall Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    People are always going to say there gym is better do this or do that, Personally I go to PF and i'm fine with it they do have a lack of weights for lifting but once im ready for that stage in my journey ill see what exercise are compatible with what they have. I like it i see people work out there in the same outfit as previous gyms i went to and i still haven't seen this lunk alarm go off yet

I agree, it doesn't have anything under the sun but it does have a variety of machines to get your started and keep you going. I see people wear shorts and tank tops and nothing has ever been said to them. Haven't seen anyone walking around with their shirt off or with just a sports bra.. that might get you kicked out.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    They didn't "get" a bad rep. They earned one
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

Intentionally. And they embrace it. Every time a fit person posts something negative about PF, it supports their approach. They want the legions of unfit people who are afraid of being around fit people.
  • graham713
    graham713 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have been going there for several months and so far its fine for me. I like them because they are open 24 hours (I like to work out really early in the morning), they are cheap, I can take someone with me for free and I can tan at the same place :) It is possible to lift heavy there. I do it 3 times a week. But then my heavy isn't the same as someone else's heavy. Just because it doesn't suit one person's needs doesn't mean its bad. Different strokes for different folks. That's what makes the world go 'round :)
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    So, even when solicited, we're not allowed to share our rationales for not choosing to spend our money at PF and instead spending it on other facilities?

I was referring more to the general backlash against PF on forums like this one from people who don't go to PF (and never have), but they damn sure love to talk about it and create snarky gifs mocking the people that do go to PF (like the one shown in the OP). There's typically a PF thread every week where people love to chime in about "but you can't deadlift there!" and on and on, when the reality is most people that workout don't want to deadlift and no one's forcing you to pay the $10 to join PF. With most of these threads it goes well beyond sharing a reasoned opinion when solicited and it's really more of a PF complainer bandwagon. Just my take on it though.

Actually they'd get you before you even started, since I don't believe deadlifts are allowed there. :tongue:
    I see your point, and I regularly participate in those threads. Because I think it's reasonable to call them on their "no judgement" hypocrisy. You're allowed to be bothered by that, but that feeling is yours to deal with, not mine. :drinker: (I'm affirming that to myself, not being testy)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    IMO this kind of place should be everywhere to take away the weak-willed people who "kind-of" work out from the "old-fashioned" gyms. Not trying to bash anyone but theres plenty of people who just come in, sit on a piece of equipment for 20 minutes working with smallest possible weight attached thinking about what are they gonna eat next and looking at clock just dying to get out of there guilt free(because the time was spent there...). This way they dont waste space in more hardcore gyms where people are more serious about working out. Also these kind of people usualy complain about the grunting and dropping weights and such so thats a perfect place for them. Its a win-win for all types of lifters.

Or the people who would otherwise go to the YMCA but PF's price is lower.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with PF. I've been going for about a year. I work out from 4 AM - 5 AM when it's really quiet. They have plenty of cardio machines and enough weights to make me happy. The early morning trainer is awesome and the group of 7-10 people who are there at that hour are great.

Never heard a judgmental word or a lunk alarm.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Intentionally. And they embrace it. Every time a fit person posts something negative about PF, it supports their approach. They want the legions of unfit people who are afraid of being around fit people.
    If I was a person who was not fit, I would be so offended by that. And I look like someone who's not fit, so hopefully nobody from PF ever tries to foist their marketing spiel onto me. I'm fat, not fearful.
  • gangsterfurious
    Options
    My friend goes there and yesterday she sent me a picture of a very overweight girl on one of the machines, sitting on her phone, doing nothing while my friend waited to use it. Planet Fitness is not somewhere you go if you are serious about fitness IMO. I mean a lunk alarm? Give me a break. I agree that people should try to not make grunts and slam weights or whatever, but sometimes it just happens. And feeding people bagels and pizza is just a brilliant marketing scheme to keep people coming back. Those are two of the foods you should avoid if you are trying really hard to lose weight. How genius of them to feed them to the overweight people that go there, which sabotages them and keeps them coming back as they struggle to lose weight.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Do you not get other forms of comedy, or is it just this joke that eludes you?
  • Fredhatfield2
    Fredhatfield2 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The Planet Fitness in my area doesn't have dumbbells above 65 lbs. Personally, that allows me to do some things, but not all. They also don't have free weights (beyond the dumbbells) and I prefer free weights. They have smith machines, but I don't include them as free weights.

I'm also not happy with their past ad campaigns. To me it says "we don't judge" but the ads are pretty judgemental. Bodybuilders are people too, so a gym should cater to them as well.

As for their "no judgement" schick.... Hey, every gym I've been to is also incorporating the same thing. In fact, back in the 80's I was a manager of a university weight room and I incorporated it too. I took "nerds" under my wing and helped them and even took some revenge for them against folks that intiminated them. I was a pretty good powerlifter and when someone made fun of other members, I lifted with them and embarrased them... Nope, I don't condone what I did. But in the mind of a 22 year old, it seemed like the right thing to do at the time.

One incident about Planet Fitness also sticks out in my mind. I was a personal trainer for Bally's at the time and stopped at a store after work with my Bally's gear on. A former member of PF asked me about Bally's and complained that PF didn't have scales because it was deemed "judgemental". He didn't like the fact that he didn't have something to measure whether his time at the gym was useful.

Overall, the Planet Fitness "no judgement" thing is overblown on their point. They are judgemental! When you go to extremes to be non judgemental and shun those who are (when chances are they are not looking to do it) you are going to offend people. That's what PF has done.

BUT!!!!

Planet Fitness has done something that other clubs just don't get. They provide facilities that are priced so reasonably that no one has the excuse of "I can't afford it" not to join. Let's face it.... If you wait a month or two, they'll have a membership drive that locks in $10 a month. At worst it's $20 a month. So yea.... I may not prefer the equipment there, but I can get my workout done...Other clubs in my area cost $50 or more a month.
  • hannamarie88
    hannamarie88 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I feel like they are incredibly judge-y for being judgement free. I'm a little nervous at LA Fitness, as I am not the most fit and I'm pretty shy. But I would rather pay $29.99/month there and not be in their little exclusionary world of fitness ala Planet Fitness for $10/month.

Anyone and everyone who joins a gym should not be judged for that decision. 'Lunks,' 'gymbunnies,' fit people, fat people, etc., gyms should be for all. And Planet Fitness just doesn't support everyone.
  • kryptocarcus
    kryptocarcus Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Its pure business.. They have found a niche, and apparently a big one based on their success... If it upsets a few LUNKS then great! More publicity for PF! I find it hilarious. I go to LA Fitness in Tampa, and it is full of meat-heads who take themselves way too seriously... I really find it amusing to hear them screaming and yelling as they lift weights and throw their weights around. However it's not that big of a deal to me because as I mentioned it makes me laugh.

If your a LUNK and upset by this go start your own gym. Oh, that's right they already did! It's called Gold's or World Gym. Now pick the one that caters to you and go workout!
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Mine's open 24 hours a day and it's $10 a month.

What's to complain about that?

Golly.

I'm a big fat broad and I've never seen so much as a nudge or an eyeroll like I've noticed at other gym memberships I've had that cost 5 times the amount and had no parking. And closed at 9 pm.

I've never heard so much as a mumble or a snicker when I'm working my fat butt on the treadmill. Like to the two guys that felt compelled to marvel loudly at my appearance at the yuppie gym I once belonged to as I minded my own business on the elliptical. And they were fit and trim married *kitten* in their 40s. I was in my 30s then. Try it now fellas. I'm in my 40s and I'll give you a run for your money. Figuratively speaking.

I love Planet Fitness.

I don't care what other people do around me, including lunking and dressing skimpily, as long as they don't bother me. I would never complain about that.

If it's true that Planet Fitness is for fat unfit people, then it's for me and I'm grateful for it :)

I agree, I suppose I am a "fat unfit person" and I am grateful for PF as well. I am nowhere near the "expert level" of other people... and grateful is the precise word. I wouldn't feel comfortable working out at another gym... not YET anyway. I think it's a great beginner gym for the fat *kitten* like me.