Why did I gain a pound back if I didn't even eat!

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    "Guess we will see" was in response to the idea that someone knows exactly what will happen to me. In other words, I guess we will see if you know everything like you think, or if I will be successful in counting my calories properly, eating properly, working out properly AND taking the "evil little pill". I don't understand how it can be possible to automatically be labeled as "lazy" when I'm putting the work in as well. If I were taking the pill and just sitting around and not eating, sure you could call me "stupid", "uneducated", or accuse me of "not firing on all pistons", but that is simply not the case. I don't expect this to be an easy journey, and contrary to what it seems as though people believe will happen, I PLAN (there's the word you're looking for) to continue to eat properly and exercise after I reach my "goal". And BTW, I don't say "goal weight" because I am more concerned with getting this under control and forming new HABITS that will last me a lifetime. Goal means healthy. Some people need surgery, some people take pills, and some people don't do anything extra. You shouldn't put someone else down just for doing something different from you.

I think you may be confusing me with that other poster.
  • BadKittie05
    BadKittie05 Posts: 157 Member
    "Guess we will see" was in response to the idea that someone knows exactly what will happen to me. In other words, I guess we will see if you know everything like you think, or if I will be successful in counting my calories properly, eating properly, working out properly AND taking the "evil little pill". I don't understand how it can be possible to automatically be labeled as "lazy" when I'm putting the work in as well. If I were taking the pill and just sitting around and not eating, sure you could call me "stupid", "uneducated", or accuse me of "not firing on all pistons", but that is simply not the case. I don't expect this to be an easy journey, and contrary to what it seems as though people believe will happen, I PLAN (there's the word you're looking for) to continue to eat properly and exercise after I reach my "goal". And BTW, I don't say "goal weight" because I am more concerned with getting this under control and forming new HABITS that will last me a lifetime. Goal means healthy. Some people need surgery, some people take pills, and some people don't do anything extra. You shouldn't put someone else down just for doing something different from you.

No, I was just responding to all of it.

You mentioned the "guess we'll see" and not having a "long-term plan" and I was simply telling you that you are wrong and why you are wrong.
  • jonnythan

You mentioned the "guess we'll see" and not having a "long-term plan" and I was simply telling you that you are wrong and why you are wrong.

Well let me ask you a question.

If you are confident that you'll be able to keep eating within your calorie goal after you get off the medication................

Then what is the medication for?
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Jezus Louie-zus. It's like a disease.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    When will people stop doing stuff like this. Always looking for a quick fix.

:drinker:
  • Vicxie86
    Vicxie86 Posts: 181 Member
    When will people stop doing stuff like this. Always looking for a quick fix.

When people start to know better. Only a handful of people start out the proper way, the rest of us always turn to quick fixes first before we learn there's a better alternative. So, no point yanking your hair out wondering when people will stop doing "stuff" like this and start dishing out advice instead because your one liner is obviously no help to the ignorant mind :wink:
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Wow didn't think I was gone to come on here getting torn to shreds. I posted it several times because I wasn't sure how to delete them. It was my first time on here posting something. I do realize I have to eat. I was just asking for advice. I didn't post several topics because I didn't like what you had to say. Say what you want. It's your opinion!
    why would you need to delete and post again.? You must know what you are doing is harmful to your body
  • WonderWoman_5
    WonderWoman_5 Posts: 101 Member
    tisk tisk..... just get off the phentermine
  • from what you said, you are not eating much at all. your body can get some of the energy it needs for daily activities from the stored substances, but vitamins and some proteins called essential amino acids need to come from your diet. even if you are taking vitamin tablets, unless you are taking essential amino acids as protein powder or something (to my knowledge, the commonly available protein powders are not balanced proteins to replace diet), body will go into a condition known as protein energy malnutrition. liver will stop producing essential and vital proteins like albumin, and body will start retaining water as edema or swelling. even though none of this is likely to happen in three weeks starvation, you are in a very unhealthy path. no amount of weight loss is worth it, so consider this plateau or whatever that you hit as a wake up call and start eating, eat plenty of fiber rich and protein rich food and get your proper bowel function back and save your body from this torture (even if you do not feel it as to.torture now, believe us, it is)
    i know you will feel that a lot of replies here are very judgmental, but most of us have done or thought of doing something similar, and some of have even done it and learned the hard way. that does not make us stupid, just human. realizing and accepting that what we are doing is may be not the right thing to do is the hard part, and some of us have been there. so if i were you, i would listen to these mean people who seem to be shredding you to bits, even though they don't know you.
  • WonderWoman_5
    WonderWoman_5 Posts: 101 Member

If you are confident that you'll be able to keep eating within your calorie goal after you get off the medication................

Don't worry we will wait.....:laugh:
  • BadKittie05

To help with the cravings. Yes, I am aware that SOME PEOPLE have the ability to NOT give in all the time, but that has been a constant struggle for the past 10 years which landed me where I was when I started. My mindset has already started changing, and I have started being more aware of the things I did before that I no longer do, such as raiding the fridge at 3 am. I have no interest in staying on this medication the rest of my life or even until I reach my goal. It was an option suggested to me because I had 100 lbs to lose to get to what is considered a healthy weight for my build. I don't even think that I will stay on it past this month because after almost a month, I have found that I look forward to my gym time and when I go to the store, I automatically go towards the fresh products rather than the processed. I feel better now that I have made changes and I want this to continue. Honestly, it opened my eyes to bad habits and allowed me to focus on the habits I want to make the norm for myself.
  • jonnythan

To help with the cravings. Yes, I am aware that SOME PEOPLE have the ability to NOT give in all the time, but that has been a constant struggle for the past 10 years which landed me where I was when I started. My mindset has already started changing, and I have started being more aware of the things I did before that I no longer do, such as raiding the fridge at 3 am. I have no interest in staying on this medication the rest of my life or even until I reach my goal. It was an option suggested to me because I had 100 lbs to lose to get to what is considered a healthy weight for my build. I don't even think that I will stay on it past this month because after almost a month, I have found that I look forward to my gym time and when I go to the store, I automatically go towards the fresh products rather than the processed. I feel better now that I have made changes and I want this to continue. Honestly, it opened my eyes to bad habits and allowed me to focus on the habits I want to make the norm for myself.

What do you think will happen with the cravings when you get off the medication?
  • Stormykitty
    Stormykitty Posts: 43 Member
    Okay, don't go badgering me too, but I have also been taking phen. HOWEVER, I am also EATING and WORKING OUT at least 5 times a week. I have not lost as much weight as OP but that's probably because I'm not starving myself. I think if used correctly (as an appetite suppressant like it is perscribed), it can be a great TOOL, but it is definitely NOT a "quick fix". It has helped me keep from over eating and feeling the urge to snack all the time, and my weight has fluctuated while taking it. Sorry to say this but OP, you've got this all wrong. Taking phen is NOT the problem, but the lack of eating and other issues, such as your approach to weight loss, most definitely IS. Please talk to your doc.
    I oopsed and my comment is out there somwhere,,,, (I newbie not sure where I went wrong)
    What happens when you stop taking it and don't know how to curb your appetite because you didn't learn how to?

Learning your bodies cues, what to eat, how much that leaves you satiated to maintain your deficit, your maintenance, your bulk. These are all important things that drugs like this strip you of being able to learn how to control naturally.

Guess we will see. There was a point in life when I didn't rely on food to make me feel better and at the moment it does. Just because people don't do it the way that you do, even if they're not ABUSING something, doesn't make them wrong. Like I said, I'm doing the other things along with it, and I'm not being stupid about how I'm taking it. I know a number of people who have taken it and have had great success in keeping the weight off. NOT EVERYONE GAINS THE WEIGHT BACK. Please keep that in mind before you start saying that I won't "learn".

I was just trying to remind OP that it is possible to take the medication and still eat. The approach being taken by them is NOT going to succeed.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Okay, don't go badgering me too, but I have also been taking phen. HOWEVER, I am also EATING and WORKING OUT at least 5 times a week. I have not lost as much weight as OP but that's probably because I'm not starving myself. I think if used correctly (as an appetite suppressant like it is perscribed), it can be a great TOOL, but it is definitely NOT a "quick fix". It has helped me keep from over eating and feeling the urge to snack all the time, and my weight has fluctuated while taking it. Sorry to say this but OP, you've got this all wrong. Taking phen is NOT the problem, but the lack of eating and other issues, such as your approach to weight loss, most definitely IS. Please talk to your doc.

What happens when you stop taking it and don't know how to curb your appetite because you didn't learn how to?

Learning your bodies cues, what to eat, how much that leaves you satiated to maintain your deficit, your maintenance, your bulk. These are all important things that drugs like this strip you of being able to learn how to control naturally.

Guess we will see. There was a point in life when I didn't rely on food to make me feel better and at the moment it does. Just because people don't do it the way that you do, even if they're not ABUSING something, doesn't make them wrong. Like I said, I'm doing the other things along with it, and I'm not being stupid about how I'm taking it. I know a number of people who have taken it and have had great success in keeping the weight off. NOT EVERYONE GAINS THE WEIGHT BACK. Please keep that in mind before you start saying that I won't "learn".

I was just trying to remind OP that it is possible to take the medication and still eat. The approach being taken by them is NOT going to succeed.

So, you're magically going to know how to eat proteins, fats and carbs perfectly to curb your appetite and sustain you, while also not keeping am emotional attachment to foods after having used a drug to suppress your appetite. Do you know what learning is? It's a process. That process takes time. Time you're wasting using a drug to reach a goal, rather than reaching that goal through normal means.

Btw, I held an emotional attachment to food to. Stress, depression, etc. Oh hell yes I was in the cabinets ravenously searching for food. I learned and found other outlets. So yes, I do think you won't learn from using a suppressant

Okay...say/think what you will. It is obvious that you don't know me or what I do and do not know.

BTW, I'm not as stupid as you think I am. :laugh:

I do know some who have used this and have been extremely successful with it using it as a tool to help learn better eating patterns. Years later they are still keeping the weight off but not still using the medication. I myself tried this route and it didn't work for me. I only took it for a very short period of time and stopped because nothing was changing. Personally for me, I realized that I stress eat and regardless if I was hungry or not (even if the pill suppressed my hunger), I would still eat and overeat. This time around I've switched methods to dealing with my extreme stress and I can say it's been the most successful thing I've ever done. Not just in the weight loss, but in how I feel and in giving me more a sense of control over food. Just another thought if you deal with emotional eating to add to your took box. Good luck on your journey!
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Please, eat.
  • WonderWhitney11
    WonderWhitney11 Posts: 78 Member
    Please do not use the laxatives... I have had a laxative issue for 5 years and it has not done me any good. As for the "one pound" you put on, it is definitely a mixture of water retention and/or sodium retention because you have not been fueling your body with anything else. The best thing to do would be to continue to drink a huge amount of water to flush out any toxins and to eat a few fiber-rich meals today to get your bowel system moving.

^ Yup. Pretty sure broth is water flavored with salt. Salt= water retention. Not only that, weight fluctuates by the hour! It's silly to weigh yourself more than once a week.
  • BadKittie05

What do you think will happen with the cravings when you get off the medication?

They will be there, but feeling and looking better is more important to me than the tasty piece of cake or whatever might be the craving of the moment.

Good gawd I didn't realize I was going to need to defend myself for trying something along with the other important things.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Is your goal to be hospitalized? If so, you're doing great!

Sorry... but what you're doing to your body sounds really, really dangerous!
  • jonnythan

They will be there, but feeling and looking better is more important to me than the tasty piece of cake or whatever might be the craving of the moment.

Good gawd I didn't realize I was going to need to defend myself for trying something along with the other important things.

You don't have to answer my questions. You can ignore me if you want.

I'm curious that your strategy appears to be that you need the appetite-suppressing medication to avoid cravings, but your plan for after the medication is pretty much that you plan on being able to avoid them later.

I guess I just don't get it. If you don't think you can control yourself now - and hence, need the medication - I don't understand what makes you think you'll be able to control yourself later.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    [/quote]

[/quote]

You don't need to defend yourself. You need to learn to ignore people who judge you without even knowing you. I wander if these folks ever take ibuprofen for aches and pains; and would like to know what there "plan" is when they no longer take it.

You do what's right for you BadKittie05. Ignore the haters.