People who back into parking spaces

Options

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Same reason I'm always armed and carry extra ammunition, water, and emergency batteries, no one ever expects the zombie apocalypse until it's too late. You'll be zombie food backing out of that spot ever so gently.
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    In the states I never had a need to back-in-park. Here in Germany however...it comes in really handy. Back-in-parking is nothing compared to the crap I have to deal with here.
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Same reason I'm always armed and carry extra ammunition, water, and emergency batteries, no one ever expects the zombie apocalypse until it's too late. You'll be zombie food backing out of that spot ever so gently.

And this ^
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I coud not do this for the life of me. I park far far away from everyone else as I suck at it and will not inconvenience everyone else and take up two spaces because I suck.

However.... people that do it say it's easier to get out of the space then, somehow. Especially bigger cars. Logically, I don't understand that. but I'm also blonde so maybe it's just me

Except most of the people are terrible at backing in in the first place.

Takes them twice as long to back in to the spot as it does to back out.
  • wyldecane
    wyldecane Posts: 43
    Options
    The only time I get to utilize my back up camera!
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Just leave this on their windshield:

bf5a0838413852a97b2918784ad40c20-bad-parking-postcard.jpg

I need to get me some of these
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    People back into spots at our local Costco.

WHY? Then it's just 100 times more difficult to load your groceries. So confoosed.
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    People who might have to leave in a hurry!
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'm very good at it :) I just prefer it..
  • janecarol61
    janecarol61 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Ditto
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    To answer the question. It's safer and no blind spots this method. I find it easier backing into a spot and pull off later, then me trying to back out of a BLIND spot (SUVs and trucks next to me) with people walking by, other drivers trying to get through the lane, and other people trying to pull out as well.
    I had no idea this was a pet peeve of people. Sigh. So much to remember.

Exactly what I was thinking. Everything apparently pisses everyone off. I back in ALL the time and I am damn good at it. I can parallel park too. Who knew?
  • finallylean
    finallylean Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    did this today....and took 2 parking spots

BECAUSE I CAN!!!!

BAHAHAHAHA :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • Pamela_in_Progress
    Pamela_in_Progress Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I was taught to either back in or pull through many moons ago in my driver's ed for safety's sake. Now it's just habit... and I'm good at it! :bigsmile:
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Y u do this?!

Especially when most of you are bad at it!!!

Same reason why you back in when you parallel park. The pivot point on the car is on the back wheels. If your automobile is longer or bigger than average, it's just easier to back it in slowly than try to take a wide angle from the front.

Do you even physics?
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    It's a safety issue.
    Eliminate backing and you eliminate many potential accidents.
    Obviously, you can't eliminate 100% of backing.
    The next best thing is to back in very soon after visually sweeping the area for hazards -- people, obstacles, etc.
    If you wait until you leave, any number of things could be behind your vehicle that you can't spot from the driver's seat.
    Very few of us make a PHYSICAL visual check.
    Take note of UPS trucks.
    They will double-park or whatever they must to avoid backing up.
    Company rules.
    Notice the phone company trucks who put cones behind their service trucks.
    The purpose is to FORCE the driver to look behind his truck -- while he's getting the cones -- for hazards.
    So ...
    First, try to eliminate backing completely.
    Second, if elimination is impossible or infeasible, back in NOW rather than later.
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    LOL This is a big pet peeve of mine too! WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE??!!
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I back in-- I can make a quick get away if need and not worry about backing over a texting pedestrian zombie in any random parking lot.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    To answer the question. It's safer and no blind spots this method. I find it easier backing into a spot and pull off later, then me trying to back out of a BLIND spot (SUVs and trucks next to me) with people walking by, other drivers trying to get through the lane, and other people trying to pull out as well.
    I had no idea this was a pet peeve of people. Sigh. So much to remember.

Exactly what I was thinking. Everything apparently pisses everyone off. I back in ALL the time and I am damn good at it. I can parallel park too. Who knew?

I don't understand how it's safer. Seriously asking, because if I was backed into a space, and someone with a big truck or van was parked next to me, I still wouldn't be able to see past them until the front of my car had cleared the back of theirs, and someone could still hit me if they're not paying attention.
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    The process of pulling in backwards is annoying... however, I remember reading an article once that forward-facing parking (where you can just pull out frontwards) is a lot safer than pulling out in reverse in a parking lot. What I try to do (and I work in extra walking steps too), is find a parking spot (usually far away) where two facing spots are free - I then pull-in all the way forward, so that it LOOKS like I backed into the space (because I'm now facing outward). Then, it's easier when I leave. Note, I said "easier" not faster.
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options

I don't understand how it's safer. Seriously asking, because if I was backed into a space, and someone with a big truck or van was parked next to me, I still wouldn't be able to see past them until the front of my car had cleared the back of theirs, and someone could still hit me if they're not paying attention.

I'm with you. It's not that hard to back out of a space.