People who back into parking spaces

Options

Replies

• suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate it when people do this. Its irritating especially because they cause everyone behind them to wait for them to finish parking.
    Sadly, my husband does this too :devil:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    To answer the question. It's safer and no blind spots this method. I find it easier backing into a spot and pull off later, then me trying to back out of a BLIND spot (SUVs and trucks next to me) with people walking by, other drivers trying to get through the lane, and other people trying to pull out as well.
    I had no idea this was a pet peeve of people. Sigh. So much to remember.

Exactly what I was thinking. Everything apparently pisses everyone off. I back in ALL the time and I am damn good at it. I can parallel park too. Who knew?

I don't understand how it's safer. Seriously asking, because if I was backed into a space, and someone with a big truck or van was parked next to me, I still wouldn't be able to see past them until the front of my car had cleared the back of theirs, and someone could still hit me if they're not paying attention.

Fewer blind spots when you leave the space. It's actually illegal in some countries to not back into a parking space.
  • MickeyBoo
    MickeyBoo Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I drive a van, it's easier to back into a spot than back out of one into oncoming traffic. Plus the front of my vehicle is smaller than the back giving people who park next to me a better chance of seeing what's coming in either direction if they are backing out.
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I only do this if I know I can do it right. Sometimes its convenient depending where you are.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Y u do this?!

Especially when most of you are bad at it!!!

I do it because I haven't got any reverse lights. It's easier to back in than to get back out. But I've had lots of practice, and I'm not bad at it. Also, I don't try it when there's someone behind me - no reverse lights. :(

(I go around the lot again and find a further spot if I need to...)
  • paperalien
    paperalien Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    At my work it is compulsory to back into the car parks as it is a site safety hazard.

It is just the rules and so everyone tends to back in everywhere, if I ever see a work ute outside of work they will always be backed it as it is what they are used to.

Not everyone does it to be a jerk so those cards could actually be extremely rude.
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    Even though this is a stupid thread some places require you to back in
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I'm really good at it, actually.

Why do I do it? So I can just drive off and not have to wait for idiots to decide if they finally want to exit their spots when I decide to leave, after having sat in their cars fiddling with every little technology gadget their car has.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    To answer the question. It's safer and no blind spots this method. I find it easier backing into a spot and pull off later, then me trying to back out of a BLIND spot (SUVs and trucks next to me) with people walking by, other drivers trying to get through the lane, and other people trying to pull out as well.
    I had no idea this was a pet peeve of people. Sigh. So much to remember.

Exactly what I was thinking. Everything apparently pisses everyone off. I back in ALL the time and I am damn good at it. I can parallel park too. Who knew?

I don't understand how it's safer. Seriously asking, because if I was backed into a space, and someone with a big truck or van was parked next to me, I still wouldn't be able to see past them until the front of my car had cleared the back of theirs, and someone could still hit me if they're not paying attention.

Fewer blind spots when you leave the space. It's actually illegal in some countries to not back into a parking space.

I didn't know that until this thread (see ColleenandRay, not so stupid). Here you see signs saying "Front End Parking Only". At least in Maryland.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    if it's a spot i can't pull through i will usually back into it unless it would impede traffic, in which case i'll pull in.
  • Mitzki5
    Mitzki5 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Would you feel more comfortable backing into an intersection or driving thru it normally. When you back into a space, there is not the issue of moving cars like when you are pulling out.
  • ShreddingIt_84
    Options
    Because my car looks better backed into the space, and I can look at it as I walk away :)

Plus, I have a backup camera, so backing into the space is easy!

20130425_075632.jpg
    Nah the *kitten* is actually nicer looking that the mug on this one:happy:
  • runforestrun35
    runforestrun35 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I back in or pull through, simply because there can be nothing around me and every time I come back to my car (Small Mitsubishi) I am blocked in by huge trucks, SUV's, and I find it much easier to just pull out....!!!!
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Of all the dumb things to get bent over.. smh
  • QuiznatoddBidness
    QuiznatoddBidness Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    If people could just be somewhat centered between the lines, I'd be a happy dude. Amazing how poorly people park... AND THEN THEY LEAVE IT LIKE THAT!!!! (that's what drives me crazy --- not that you fracked up, but that you're just okay leaving it fracked up). Otherwise, backwards, forward, or sideways parking are all okay with me.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    did this today....and took 2 parking spots

BECAUSE I CAN!!!!

Wow, you are so special, makes me want to key your car.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Someone did this at my gym today. And they started, pulled out to go again and I couldn't get around them.

It was irritating!! :tongue:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Ohhh and db parkers...who take up their space and are over the line of the next space at an already crowded parking lot. So nice to think you are the center of the universe. :explode:
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Because I'm a rock star at parallel parking and other driving feats that require me to use reverse!!! That's why!
  • Building_Bulk
    Building_Bulk Posts: 20,596 Member
    Options
    I have seen many a people who pull in straight and can't remotely park between the lines or even straight. I back in sometimes and have no problem doing it as I have driven vehicles way bigger than my SUV.