What is your WHY?

Options

Replies

• tnoble611
    tnoble611 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Love this post! Thank you so much for sharing.

My WHY(s)
    1. Diabetes runs in my family (my 2 aunts and my cousin) as well as hypertension (my father). Not losing weight will put me at risk of getting those diseases. And I don't want that.

2. I started gaining weight when I turned 26 and I have kept it on for almost 5 years. I've always wanted to give myself my ideal body. I don't see a greater gift to give myself.

3. Working out and eating right is such a huge form of self-love. I want to show up for myself consistently in a way that I would want my future partner (when I find him! :-) ) to show up for me.
  • jhellwig828
    jhellwig828 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My "why" started out with a dr telling me I had to make some lifestyle changes or I was going to need to take BP meds. At 32 I felt waaaay too young for that. And in succeeding with weight loss my "why" has changed a lot. I find now that all the thing I always said I couldn't do - I am doing. Not only am I doing them - but I enjoy them! I can watch what I eat and exercise. I can play with my kids when I get home from work instead of sitting on the couch and watching them. I can cope with the stresses of work without an entire bottle of wine - or most days even a glass. It's an amazing thing when you can overcome your own mind!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Why?

- Because I like to be active and not be out of breath when I'm doing things.
    - Because I want to be strong enough to take care of myself when I'm older since I never expected anyone to take care of me.
    - Because I like how I look and feel when I'm fit.
    - Because I expect to be bicycling, roller skating, skiing and motorcycling well past my 60's.
    - Because this excess weight is not part of my natural make-up. I'm not supposed to be carrying this weight and I can't believe I let
    myself feel sorry enough for myself to let it get this far.
    - Because it's part of my recovery, taking care of myself and not letting negative mind-sets take over again.
    - Because I have a nice *kitten* and I miss it.
  • JakeNJ95
    JakeNJ95 Posts: 54
    Options
    I have multiple reasons why, some are selfless, some are normal whys and several of them are very very very selfish and kind of stupid but they are my strongest I think.

10-1: 1 being the most important
    10: Run a 5k then a 10k then a marathon.
    9: I want to have a nice and beautiful girlfriend.
    8: For several close friends that struggle to lose weight that need a nice friend to show them and help them along.
    7: Clothes... I like to wear good clothes.
    6: I want to look good with my shirt off.
    5: Wear size 32 pants.
    4: My mother, she started dialysis last year from her years of neglecting her health and not taking her diabetes seriously, I want to help her lose weight so she can see her grand kids.
    3: I want girls to look at me and think that I am sexy
    2: Family, I come from an obese family, my brother the worst of us all and I do not want to lose him, I love him and want to show him that it is possible to lose weight. My brother is my closest family member and I never want to lose him, ever.
    1: I want a particular girl to find me attractive. (pathetic I know, but it has been working for me.)
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I know everyone's why is different dependent on the person, but I feel kind of vain since mine is really just to look good and not much of anything to do with health. Realizing I'm blessed to not have to worry about health issues yet........ prayers to you all for success and long lives!
  • libertychoury
    libertychoury Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My WHY started out as anger. I had let myself get to a point where I was looking for affirmation that I was attractive in some way from anywhere, even outside my marriage. Even though my husband told me all the time I was beautiful, I never believed it, because I never had ever felt like I was. I didn't love myself anymore, and so out of anger I decided to withhold all of the delicious food I loved from myself - all the things that brought me comfort foodwise were off limits to me. I ate, but only foods that I had previously seen as bland and boring, vegetables, hard boiled eggs, tuna. That was it. I was just angry. I had two little boys that I knew somehow in my heart I would not see to their 10th birthday if I didn't do something.
    After I lost some weight, I started to feel happy, to feel some self worth, and my WHY changed. I had never gone that long before and been that successful at weight loss, so I kept it up, days turned into weeks, and into months, and now its almost been two years. My WHY is now because I am afraid to go back there, afraid to go back to that angry place. I face the fear and overcome it everyday. And now my WHY is sort of a kaleidoscope of being good at being healthy, loving myself, loving my family, fear to be the old me again, vanity, and the high I get when I realize how far I have come.
  • KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I don't want to die. And that is where I was headed. Maybe not next week, or next month. But that was the path I was on. And damn it, I'm not going out like that!! My Dad passed away last year from heart disease. He was skinny, but the years of bad eating combined with genetics eventually did him in. I'm at high risk of developing it as well. But I have a head start at turning my eating around. I can't do anything about genetics, but I can make sure I eat better and get healthier. Pretty damn good incentive if you ask me. It just sucks that it took my Dad dying to get me going.
  • wendydove71
    wendydove71 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I want to see my daughter grow up. she will be two in June and I owe her that. I have lost 150 pounds before and I know how it feels. it feels GREAT!!! so my WHY is that I know how it feels and I want that feeling again.
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I wanted to feel alive again.
    I wanted a piece of me back that I had long been missing.
    I wanted to prove others wrong.
    Most of all I wanted to prove to myself that I was capable of pushing myself to experience new things and grow in the process.
  • mgermscheid
    mgermscheid Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If anyone wants to read my first blog post that is my why! I hope I can inspire anyone with similar issues that I had to do better the healthier way!!
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    My why was a why not- I counted calories for a few weeks, and it worked! Why would I stop? Success is a great motivation to continue, and now if I have a few weeks where I don't really lose, I don't give up because I know I'm doing the right thing.

Also, I want to lift heavy things until my thighs bust out of my jeans :)
  • gkauf744
    gkauf744 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My "why" for quitting smoking was my kids. Then my "why" for losing weight was because my workout pants were getting tight. Not quite in the ball park of some of the other posters, I know.
  • MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I know everyone's why is different dependent on the person, but I feel kind of vain since mine is really just to look good and not much of anything to do with health. Realizing I'm blessed to not have to worry about health issues yet........ prayers to you all for success and long lives!

Yes, everyone's WHY will be different, and although yours may not be for some of the reasons already mentioned, it is what currently works for you. The advantage you have is that you are young enough to make the right choice now and make it a positive and continuing lifestyle for the years to come. I can only imagine how much better shape I would be in right now if I would have paid closer attention 15 years ago. I'm only 36, so I am not that old, but 15 years ago I was in my prime while I was in the army. But naturally, I ate whatever I wanted, drank way more than I should have, and smoked like a chimney. I'm sure I shaved a few years off with all of that. Although I can not change that, I can ensure the years to come will be great.
  • DevSanchez
    DevSanchez Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    My WHY is to feel healthy, be able to start a family, and look stunning in my wedding dress....and to enjoy being in my bathing suit for my honeymoon!
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    My reason is I do not feel like myself with my current body. I woke up and noticed what I had done to my body when I looked at my reflection and A. didn't recognize myself and B. thought ugh she's fat. When I took action was I went to my Dr.'s and when weighed, I weighed more than I did at delivery with either daughter.

As someone that never had an issue even after having kids, not looking how I have always seen myself look and not being in the shape I always was is a hard reality and it is one I must correct. Also my poor husband, he still compliments me all the time, but he did not marry someone overweight and I feel like a bait and switch was pulled on him. Thankfully he does not feel that way and is supportive.

My weight gain has all been in the last 3 1/2 years No major life events or health issues
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    My why is because exercise is the BEST medicine for depression. I dont always get a chance to exercise because of family and work but I do it because it does WONDERS for my mood. Depression runs on the paternal side of my family. It took the life of my first cousin. Of all the different drugs my doc has given, nothing works like running. It's free and there are no adverse side effects. the only side effect is you may start looking very sexy after a few months:wink:
  • BootCampCrazy
    BootCampCrazy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Great post!!!!

The most important thing that keeps me going...My daughter. She conquers physical therapy daily... she's 5 now and has to work harder for skills than anyone I've ever met. "She was never going to be able to walk", but at 3.5 years old she took her first steps. It was like watching someone fly for the first time. I can't even describe how amazing it was/is. When I want to blow off the gym I think about how far she's come because of how hard she worked for it. She brings me perspective and hope.
    and...............I've got to make sure I can keep up with her and my other little ones. ;)

I will admit though....Some of my why's are pretty vain. I'm not going to lie; I do want to look good in a bathing suit!
  • Iorns78
    Iorns78 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I can control my depression with out having to take medication. I feel down and out when I don't exercise, for me, even a walk helps pep up my spirit!
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I am a year younger than my dad was when he died.
    Type 2 Diabetes I was just diagnosed with.

I am angry with myself for letting this happen. I knew better. Anger is the best motivator for me, cause being angry pisses me off.
  • cero55
    cero55 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    1.) I had i high blood pressure and took 3 pills.
    2.)i want to look and feel good.
    3.) Taking Frustration out with exercise instead of food is bliss.
    4.)now i fit in all the the clothes i like.