Tell me words you can't pronounce correctly.

Options

Replies

• Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    QUINOA.

I don't care what you say, I still pronounce it 'KEY-NO'.
    That's a Vegas game, I believe. You're looking for "keen-wah." :smile:
  • AllieBear88
    AllieBear88 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    worcestershire sauce

To this day, I am still not quite sure what the correct way to say this word is..............obviously I mean "Worcestershire" and not "sauce". Lol I can pronounce "sauce"

Pronounced "Woo-ste-Shire" sauce, I believe. :)
    Around here, it's "wist-uh-shur". Like "wistful", the "uh" you say when you're collecting your thoughts, and "sure" as in "certain."

We know how to pronounce that one, but a friend of ours ruined us and now we call it what he did: What's That There Sauce.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I am phonetically challenged on any words with ag in it.. Such as bag, rag, wagon, dragon.... I pronouce them with a short e sound.. So beg, reg, wegon, dregon..... :blushing:

My mother does something similar Bagel comes out bahgul instead of baygul. Hill is pronounced heel, pill is peel, etc. And for some reason she and her sister pronounce Detroit as De-Troy-It.

I used to have a major issue saying antenna correctly...worked on it enough so I usually say it right now but once in a while it still comes out as anTANna (like Santana). No idea why.

ETA: my brother and I called Worcestershire "Whishter-Shishter "

ETA2: Born and raised in the "North" and we say pecan "puh-cahn"
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    Where to begin:

I have a hearing loss and periodically go to a speech pathologist. Hearing loss is around 65%.

Currently taking American Sign Language. I have learned and used the 'ancient good luck' sign frequently.

The one I get most harassed over is saying tagger instead of tiger, this

My wife says that I have a hard time pronouncing 'I love you' she claims it sounds like 'make me a sammiche'.

I usually ending making two sandwiches (one is for me).

Just one old man's opinion .....
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I have a hell of a time with "patronize". Is it a "long" or a "short" a? I've heard it said both ways. Yet despite how I say it, I'm usually told that it's the other way.

Ignore them. They are just patronizing you.
  • FaithfulJewel
    FaithfulJewel Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    worcestershire sauce

To this day, I am still not quite sure what the correct way to say this word is..............obviously I mean "Worcestershire" and not "sauce". Lol I can pronounce "sauce"

That's how I say it, lol!

On a side note: I was born in Worcester, MA and everyone always says War-chester...and that is NOT how you say it. It is more like Wuss-ter, but I know the way it is spelled makes it difficult for people.

It's the crazy English counties/towns! You ask someone in one town how they pronounce things, then 10 miles up the road they say it differently.

As long as everyone has an idea of what you're referencing, no-one cares.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    worcestershire sauce

That's how I say it, lol!

On a side note: I was born in Worcester, MA and everyone always says War-chester...and that is NOT how you say it. It is more like Wuss-ter, but I know the way it is spelled makes it difficult for people.
    What?! The city in Mass is pronouced "Wista"! As in, "I live in Wista, Mista!"
  • AllieBear88
    AllieBear88 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have apparently been saying "writhing" wrong. It's apparently a short vowel sound, not like "rithe-ing", but like the i sound in "writ". Well, then.
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I live in the south and there is always a debate on whether it is PeCAHN pie or PeCAN pie.....I am sad to admit I have used both b/c I am not sure which one it is supposed to be.

My former supervisor's name is Lara. I have worked here for over 6 years and I STILL have to make an effort to say her name correctly. She used to laugh at me all the time. It's LAR-uh...not Laura, not LAIR-uh.....I get tongue-tied just typing this out!
    There's no debate in the south. It's "puh-CAWN". "Pee-Can" is what those damn yankees have, and they can keep it!

Puh-Cahn? Haven't heard that one yet! And I just asked all the girls at work...and they all said it is Pee-Can for the South and Pee-CAHN (or Pee-CON, if that makes more sense) is for the North. Bahahahaha! See.....it is just too dang confusing!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I live in the south and there is always a debate on whether it is PeCAHN pie or PeCAN pie.....I am sad to admit I have used both b/c I am not sure which one it is supposed to be.

My former supervisor's name is Lara. I have worked here for over 6 years and I STILL have to make an effort to say her name correctly. She used to laugh at me all the time. It's LAR-uh...not Laura, not LAIR-uh.....I get tongue-tied just typing this out!

Most people I know say PeCAHN (southern Louisiana) but I did go to school with a girl who pronounced it PUKahn (accent on the first syllable), like "puck on pie". Sounds like a verb to me. I don't want a piece of any pie that's been pucked on. EW gross.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    worcestershire sauce

Only after you looked that up, right? ;)

Actually, no! Believe it or not, I have a close friend that's from the UK and he informed me that I had been mis-pronouncing it my entire life. haha :P
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

There's no debate in the south. It's "puh-CAWN". "Pee-Can" is what those damn yankees have, and they can keep it!

Puh-Cahn? Haven't heard that one yet! And I just asked all the girls at work...and they all said it is Pee-Can for the South and Pee-CAHN (or Pee-CON, if that makes more sense) is for the North. Bahahahaha! See.....it is just too dang confusing!

Well, that's how we say it in Texas, anyway, and pecan is our state tree, so there. :tongue: Hehe.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options

Well, in fairness, I don't actually live in The South. Texas is not The South. But in absolutely no way can the first syllable be accented. Pee has no business being in a delicious pie. It's "puh". 100% positive about that one.
  • FaithfulJewel
    Options
    Grosvenor and Edinburgh also wind me up slightly.

I know it's Grow-vner and Edin-borough but I can't get my head right with them.
  • AtLeastOnceMore
    AtLeastOnceMore Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Entendre, as in 'double entendre'. I struggle so hard with it! Where is the emphasis and inflection?!
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I can't pronounce a lot of words when I'm tired. I tend to slur them or blurt them out in a very confusing bluhhh.
  • FaithfulJewel
    Options
    worcestershire sauce

Only after you looked that up, right? ;)

Actually, no! Believe it or not, I have a close friend that's from the UK and he informed me that I had been mis-pronouncing it my entire life. haha :P

What were you pronouncing it as in the first place? Life is a learning curve - English county names are someone trying to take you out with a crossbow along the way.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    worcestershire sauce

In Yorkshire "Worcester" is generally pronounced "Wooster" (as in Jeeves and).

There's another town down south call Towcester, which I've never been to or heard anyone say, only seen road signs, but logic would dictate it be pronounced Toaster, which pleases me.
  • rexroars
    rexroars Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    "bachelorette"

I CANNOT say that word. I don't know what the problem is but it's the hardest word to say in the English language.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to pronounce "no" to my wife. When I attempt it, I usually reagain consciousness later with a big frying pan sized welt on my forehead.