Tell me words you can't pronounce correctly.

Options

Replies

• rfw24
    rfw24 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I can pronounce most words correctly. But my problem is mental. There are times where the word I am trying to say will not come out of my mouth. Even if it is CAR. I will be able to talk but I can't say CAR. I will say, you know that thing we drive around in??? It has happened on the phone with customers too, very embarrasing. I work in the mortgage business and I was trying to say interest rate and I could not! I just put him on hold and tried to calm my mind down. UGH!!
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I can pronounce most words correctly. But my problem is mental. There are times where the word I am trying to say will not come out of my mouth. Even if it is CAR. I will be able to talk but I can't say CAR. I will say, you know that thing we drive around in??? It has happened on the phone with customers too, very embarrasing. I work in the mortgage business and I was trying to say interest rate and I could not! I just put him on hold and tried to calm my mind down. UGH!!
    Hahahahaha... I get that way when tired.
    "That thingymabob" is what I say, instead. Seems to work for me.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Just had a discussion with DH about oeuvre. I insisted it was "uhvh". He insisted it was "oohvreh". Turns out I use the British pronunciation and he uses the American. We live in the US, so.... I guess he won. I'm not going to change, though. "oohvreh" sounds dumb.
    It's not the American pronunciation... it's the French one, whence the word comes, so that's why it wins.

Oddly, the Google pronunciation gives it as "you-ver". Which makes me stabby.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    my daughter says "am-blee-ants" for ambulance.
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Ok so when I was younger, I grew up in the north and my parents are from the north. But then we moved to the south and I've lived her for 15 years or so...

When I am discussing Pecan Pie (which I love!) I use two different pronunciations!!!

I use peCANS in my peCAHN pie.

So everytime time I am referring to the actual pie it is peCAHN. But when I am referring to the ingredient that goes in the pie I say it as pecan.

Am I the only person who does this? Maybe it is because of my mixed up background...

Nope....see all my prior posts. Born in the North to Northern parents, raised in the South, but surrounded by people who are from all over the dang place.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    After a few years of listening/watching my husband play Call of Duty, he STILL does not pronounce the word "melee" correct. He says it exactly how it's spelled. It's pronounced "MAY-LAY"!!! We had an argument/fight over this once, upon which he told me to just never correct him again.
    Hahaha, my husband says "frun-TIER" and "res-er-VOR". I gave up trying. But I think those are less likely to get noticed than saying "mel-EE" because then people know you don't know what the word means/ whence it comes.
  • SushiKite
    SushiKite Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    When my boy spelt tree for the first time he wrote chree. I thought I better enunciate my words better. How about sect and sex.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I have always had issues with the word anesthetist

I usually end up just saying anesthesiologist, it's much easier to pronounce
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    That's very interesting, but you're right, it's a different matter called anomia. If it's happening more and more frequently, I would seriously recommend mentioning it to your doctor. Not to alarm you.
  • SonyaKou
    SonyaKou Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My husband mocks me all the time because I always say Root properly when it's with another syllable (root beer, rooted, rooting), but if it's just root I pronounce it closer to Riut. Sort of the same way you would pronounce the ou sound in Could. He says it must be a Minnesotan thing, but might just be a me thing.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    When my boy spelt tree for the first time he wrote chree. I thought I better enunciate my words better. How about sect and sex.
    Do you also say "chune" for the melody of a musical piece? Not to mock you, but I find that accent feature very charming.

If you pluralize "sect", it does sound exactly like "sex" unless you slow it down a lot.
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    worcestershire sauce

To this day, I am still not quite sure what the correct way to say this word is..............obviously I mean "Worcestershire" and not "sauce". Lol I can pronounce "sauce"

Anyone who grew up watching Bugs Bunny knows the correct pronunciation, wor-cester-sister-cester-sister-shyy-er
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Vichyssoise

Not exactly common, but I do love to cook and am usually very good with pronunciation, so the fact that I can never seem to say this right aggravates me.
  • Barbell_Jules
    Barbell_Jules Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Specific. Gets me everytime!
    Me too. I CANNOT say it unless I slow down and think about saying it first. If I don't think about it, it comes out as spific. :blushing:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    My husband mocks me all the time because I always say Root properly when it's with another syllable (root beer, rooted, rooting), but if it's just root I pronounce it closer to Riut. Sort of the same way you would pronounce the ou sound in Could. He says it must be a Minnesotan thing, but might just be a me thing.
    I think it may be an Upper Midwest thing. I lived in NW Illinois until I was 8, and that "oo" as in "could" or "hook" is the one they use in "roof" (rhymes with "hoof") and "root". Thanks for reminding me about yet another variation!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    Specific. Gets me everytime!
    Me too. I CANNOT say it unless I slow down and think about saying it first. If I don't think about it, it comes out as spific. :blushing:
    I think that's spiffy! :wink:
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    If we are gonna include kids....

My 5 yr old says OOH-jah-ly, for the word usually. I have corrected her for about 3 years now and it still comes out wrong.
    My 2 yr old sa DUNK instead of DONE. (i.e.: Me: Are done with your dinner? Him: I dunk)

Yesterday my 5 yr old was picked to do the Word of the Day on the school's news channel and she had to read the word and say a short definition and sentence to go with it. The word was CONFIDENT. When she came home and re-created it for me, she kept using a 'n' in place of the 'd' and saying CONFINENT.

Honestly, it is all so cute that I am always sad when they stop saying something wrong and start getting it right. One day my little boy will say "done" instead of "dunk"...and I will probably cry!
  • LBeth1015
    LBeth1015 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    No offense intended, but it looks like one of those poopin' in the bluebonnet pictures. :laugh:
    [/quote]Sweetie, if you poop in the bluebonnets, you're liable to end up with fireants bitin' your *kitten*. And if that happens, everybody's gonna have a bad day! :laugh:
    [/quote]

Google poopin' in the bluebonnets. It's hilarious. Generally making fun of those you see off the side of the highway squatting down in the flowers as it looks like they're...well, poopin' in the bluebonnets.
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    "Acrylic." I have also been told that "Don" and "Dawn" aren't pronounced the same, but I pronounce them the same – I think that's a CA vs. LA accent thing, though.

Nothing personal, but my name is Dawn, and I intensely dislike when people call me by a man's name. It never occured to me that the person speaking it may not be able to pronounce it correctly. I usually have to get all Boston on them. I will keep this bit of info in mind for the future, though, so thanks for sharing :flowerforyou:

So how do you say your name? I don't know any other way to say "Dawn."

It's Dawn, like fawn, yawn, or lawn. I never had anyone call me "Don" (with the "ON" sound) until I entered the workforce. I've literally had to say "no, I am not a man. It is DAAWWWWWN. Like Awning" ... sheesh.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    No offense intended, but it looks like one of those poopin' in the bluebonnet pictures. :laugh:
    Sweetie, if you poop in the bluebonnets, you're liable to end up with fireants bitin' your *kitten*. And if that happens, everybody's gonna have a bad day! :laugh:
    Google poopin' in the bluebonnets. It's hilarious. Generally making fun of those you see off the side of the highway squatting down in the flowers as it looks like they're...well, poopin' in the bluebonnets.
    I have taken and been the subject of many a bluebonnet poopin' picture, which is how I know about the fireants... got no need to google it. I've seen it 45 gajillion times on the highway too. Just don't pick 'em, 'cause that's illegal.

Just kiddin'. Trespassing is what's illegal, and that's usually the problem. :tongue: