Dieting = Craving BAD foods

Options

Replies

• Xingy01
    Xingy01 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have the problem that when you are trying your best to eat healthier, make better choices, and move more that it's like your body/mind is fighting you?

I feel like I have NO control over what my body craves and wants. I get tired of telling myself that I can't have pizza, hamburgers, french fries, etc and I give in. My husband says it's because I don't have the willpower or the "want to", but I feel defeated EVERYTIME I make a lifestyle change and I don't stick with it.

I've tried the "food swaps" and while some of them are reasonable and delicious, most of them leave me wanting the real thing. Example: I made Spinach and Feta pizza on whole wheat crust instead of Three Meat pizza. While the taste was delicious, I still wanted meat.. and lots of it!

Buy and cook smaller portions. I've tried replacing foods with healthier alternatives, and it didn't work out for me. I've always eaten a lot of fruits and vegetables, so I'm not really worried about what I'm eating as much as how much I'm eating. Now instead of having 2 or 3 burgers, I have 1 burger. You can eat anything and lose weight. How much you eat is what matters.

Losing weight is difficult. Most diets have you obsessing over every detail and making food take up a larger portion of your day. When you diet, you're thinking about food constantly which makes it even harder to eat less. What works for me is minimizing the amount of work and thinking that goes into it. I eat what I want, but I eat less. I have days or weeks where I don't feel like dieting, and I don't. I'll eat maintenance during that period to make sure I don't actually gain anything back. If you're miserable and unhappy about dieting, it's not going to work out. Find something that works for you.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Humans are hard wired to crave 'forbidden foods'. So don't make any food a forbidden food, and learn moderation.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Cut out the sugar, I mean ALL fructose (HFCS, table sugar, fruit juice, anything with fructose) and even all fruit for a while. You will have to read labels like a hawk to make sure they do not have any added sugar. No processed foods. If you do this your body will detox from the sugar and return to your natural hunger signals. The cravings will get much better. After 8 weeks you can add back in some fruit but only eat fructose in the whole fruit so it is tempered by the fiber. Check out the book "Fat Chance" by Dr. Robert Lustig and a webite called "I Quit Sugar."

To the OP and anyone else reading along.....

If anyone ever tells you to cut out fruits and/or vegetables, tell them to go jump in a lake, and ignore anything they ever say about anything ever.

I did not say to remove fruits or vegetables, I said to cut out fruit for a while to reduce the fructose in your diet. After the detox you would add it back in. Learn to read, please.

You didn't say remove fruits, you said to cut them out for a while.

What's the difference?

Sorry, your advice is awful, ridiculous, and is borne from a gross misunderstanding of biology and nutrition.

My advice stands: anyone who tells you to cut out fruit, for any length of time, should be completely ignored about everything forever.

I'm not suggesting cutting out fruit, but what's the big deal if the OP did. It's not essential food?

I rarely eat fruit. I don't really like it. There's nothing wrong with not eating fruit.

What's wrong is telling someone not to eat fruit because it contains sugar. The advice is bad. The reasoning behind the advice is worse: that one should "detox" from sugar.

The reasoning is faulty and the conclusion is ridiculous. The advice fails to pass the reality check. Anyone concluding "well people should cut out fruit" and then dispensing that advice is demonstrating a lack of some critical process in the rational train.

Therefore, my advice is to ignore any advice such a person gives, in its entirety, because through this one egregious error in judgment all further advice is automatically suspect.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Cut out the sugar, I mean ALL fructose (HFCS, table sugar, fruit juice, anything with fructose) and even all fruit for a while. You will have to read labels like a hawk to make sure they do not have any added sugar. No processed foods. If you do this your body will detox from the sugar and return to your natural hunger signals. The cravings will get much better. After 8 weeks you can add back in some fruit but only eat fructose in the whole fruit so it is tempered by the fiber. Check out the book "Fat Chance" by Dr. Robert Lustig and a webite called "I Quit Sugar."

If anyone ever tells you to cut out fruits and/or vegetables, tell them to go jump in a lake, and ignore anything they ever say about anything ever.

I did not say to remove fruits or vegetables, I said to cut out fruit for a while to reduce the fructose in your diet. After the detox you would add it back in. Learn to read, please.

What's the difference?

Sorry, your advice is awful, ridiculous, and is borne from a gross misunderstanding of biology and nutrition.

My advice stands: anyone who tells you to cut out fruit, for any length of time, should be completely ignored about everything forever.

I'm not suggesting cutting out fruit, but what's the big deal if the OP did. It's not essential food?

But it's removing an entire category of food that contains essential vitamins and minerals that the OP might be hard pressed to get adequate levels of without consuming some fruits. Is it possible to get it from other food sources. Sure. Is it preferable? No.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have the problem that when you are trying your best to eat healthier, make better choices, and move more that it's like your body/mind is fighting you?

I feel like I have NO control over what my body craves and wants. I get tired of telling myself that I can't have pizza, hamburgers, french fries, etc and I give in. My husband says it's because I don't have the willpower or the "want to", but I feel defeated EVERYTIME I make a lifestyle change and I don't stick with it.

I've tried the "food swaps" and while some of them are reasonable and delicious, most of them leave me wanting the real thing. Example: I made Spinach and Feta pizza on whole wheat crust instead of Three Meat pizza. While the taste was delicious, I still wanted meat.. and lots of it!

you are thinking all wrong..

there is no "bad" food..there is nothing wrong with eating pizza, hamburgers, French fries, etc, you just have to eat less of them.

If you eat those foods and maintain a deficit you will lose weight, period.

I always find that the 80/20 rule seems to work well for people...80% healthy, 20% whatever you want. I eat ice cream every day and drink on the weekends....

The 80:20 rule is a sensible one.

OP just understand the nutritional value of food per calories and spend wisely.

If you've got dorm calorie cash left at the end of the day (once you've covered your micro / macro nutrients) and you fancy blowing it on some junk food - it there to spend.

Make sure when you do that enjoy it.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

What's the difference?

You didn't just really say that, did you? :noway:
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

What's the difference?

But it's removing an entire category of food that contains essential vitamins and minerals that the OP might be hard pressed to get adequate levels of without consuming some fruits. Is it possible to get it from other food sources. Sure. Is it preferable? No.

It certainly is possible to get the nutrients from elsewhere and in regards to is it preferable - that's subjective.

Agreed cutting fruit is probably unnecessary, but it is something that has worked for the poster above and she is sharing her experience.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

OP:
    Disregard this nonsense.

I wouldn't put it quite so bluntly, but I would certainly question if it is wise to do this or long term sustainable. Our body needs glucose (if it didn't then we wouldn't have a pancreas!)

I certainly would question Lustig's research as there's quite a few inaccuracies and ommisions in his work (his description of the Maillard browning process for example as being the reason that a banana browns) and his conclusions are disputed by a number of his peers.

Eh. I chose to be blunt and you chose to elaborate a bit. :ohwell:

The information is nonsense and it is not helpful to the OP or anybody else reading this thread.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

What's the difference?

I rarely eat fruit. I don't really like it. There's nothing wrong with not eating fruit.

What's wrong is telling someone not to eat fruit because it contains sugar. The advice is bad. The reasoning behind the advice is worse: that one should "detox" from sugar.

The reasoning is faulty and the conclusion is ridiculous. The advice fails to pass the reality check. Anyone concluding "well people should cut out fruit" and then dispensing that advice is demonstrating a lack of some critical process in the rational train.

Therefore, my advice is to ignore any advice such a person gives, in its entirety, because through this one egregious error in judgment all further advice is automatically suspect.

Yes but the advice is not aimed at you it's aimed at the OP.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

What's the difference?

You didn't just really say that, did you? :noway:

Yes!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    It certainly is possible to get the nutrients from elsewhere and in regards to is it preferable - that's subjective.

Agreed cutting fruit is probably unnecessary, but it is something that has worked for the poster above and she is sharing her experience.

I'm not sure it has worked for her. She's been here 4 years, has only made it halfway to her goal, and her vata dosha is still extremely out of balance. And she consumes honey daily, which is pretty much pure processed sugar and contains large amounts of fructose.

Think about that for a minute. She considers honey, which has a ton of fructose, medicinal and consumes it daily. However, she is telling other people to cut out fruit for a while because it has fructose.

Clearly whatever she's doing hasn't been all that effective.
  • jonnythan
    Options

What's the difference?

Doesn't matter who the advice is aimed at. It's terrible advice.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options

Oh wait, a detox? What are we detoxing from? Are we removing toxins by not having sugar? What toxins?

Well if you want to get technical, every time you pee or poop you're detoxing...

:wink:
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

What's the difference?

Doesn't matter who the advice is aimed at. It's terrible advice.

In your opinion.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

I'm not sure it has worked for her. She's been here 4 years, has only made it halfway to her goal, and her vata dosha is still extremely out of balance. And she consumes honey daily, which is pretty much pure processed sugar and contains large amounts of fructose.

Think about that for a minute. She considers honey, which has a ton of fructose, medicinal and consumes it daily. However, she is telling other people to cut out fruit for a while because it has fructose.

Clearly whatever she's doing hasn't been all that effective.

Possible, but she may be eating fruit now.

I'm not sure her advice was to remove it for every. I think she was suggesting abstaining for a period of time.

Plus I do not know her history, she may have been doing it your way for the last 3 1/2 years and has recently adopted this new approach (I try not to jump to too many conclusions).
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

First, I don't deny myself foods I enjoy. You just have to eat less of them or eat them less often and plan for it.

Second, I have found that what I'm really craving when I want, say, cake, is just the sweet taste. Having some dark chocolate or a fruit smoothie (with a little chocolate peanut butter and light whipped cream) satisfies that craving. And I make sure the foods I eat most of the time, while healthier/lower calorie/restricted are foods I actually enjoy. I eat a salad almost every day but I LOVE the way it tastes and I make sure it's filling.

If you're shoving rice cakes (for example) down and not enjoying them, you are going to crave something else.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    In your opinion.

Indeed. Thank you for pointing that out for me. I was concerned it was someone else's opinion and not mine.

Bless you.
  • KaylaBushman
    Options

What's the difference?

The OP Is already having trouble with restriction and this advice is to restrict further? That is nonsensical.