Sugar and processed food good or bad?

Options

Replies

• JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster that says good for some, bad for some. Also, I've seen on these forums that people interpret words differently. Some people say processed and most know that probably means things like box macaroni and cheese and so forth, when others will say almost everything is somewhat processed. I, personally, am currently refraining from eating certain foods I overeat. I don't overeat on lettuce, but I could eat an entire frozen pizza, with diet coke and king size reese's cups. Could I still eat those foods in moderation and lose weight if I was in a deficit. Absolutely. But, my cravings are so much more controllable with not eating these foods and I'm not overeating or binging.

But most important to me: I feel so much better physically. I am not even having to drink caffeine daily because I have so much more energy and I'm not crashing at my desk at 2/3 pm every day. Taking the higher fat/calorie foods out of my diet and replacing them with more veggies, fruits and lean proteins is just making me feel so much better. I'd lose either way with a calorie deficit I know. But I want the energy to move and function clearly. This is working for ME. I'm sure it's different for others.
  • thomaszabel
    thomaszabel Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Here's my take from doing lots of research from documentaries, the interwebs, and reading. Of course, there can always be bias in anything you read or watch, but you can follow up and do your own research.

I stay away from processed foods as much as possible, but I still eat them occasionally. Most processed foods are so changed, that the essential vitamins and minerals that are in the original version of the basic ingredients get removed. In addition, remember that food companies are in the business to make money. Therefore a lot of what they add to these foods, such as food coloring, sweeteners, etc. are unnecessary. Some additives are put in with the express purpose of making you want more - basically addicting you to their product.

If you think government regulations and the FDA test these additives and foods to make sure they aren't cancer causing or in any way bad for you, you are incorrect. The FDA is generally staffed by former and future employees and execs of Monsanto and Cargill and other chemical and food companies. The FDA does almost no testing because of no budget, and instead relies on the food companies to test their own products and submit the results to the FDA. So just like cigarette companies had studies that said that smoking has no ill effects, food and chemical companies have their own studies that say these additives are just fine. And the FDA has no choice but to believe them.

The history of why this has happened over the decades is interesting, but not surprising, if you ever want to research it. But bottom line is it is cheaper for the food corps to take real food, process it, add stuff to it, package it, and sell it to you, than it is to sell you "real" food. In addition, with economies of scale, they can pump out more food to feed more people, though the food isn't as healthy. So there is a tradeoff. Subsidies from our tax dollars go to corporations that make processed foods, and you will not see those subsidies going to farmers that sell the real stuff, hence you can buy lots more processed food than real food.

Can you eat processed foods and lose weight? Yes. Can you eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner at McDonalds and still lose weight? Yes. But to me, being healthy isn't only about a goal weight. It is feeding my body with the appropriate number of calories, vitamins, and minerals to keep me alive and feeling energetic, while staving off colds, diseases, etc.

I'm not one of those tin-foil hat people who is looking for conspiracies, but the more research I do into today's food policies in the US, the more I see that I need to stay away from the cheap mass-produced processed stuff.

If you are interested in doing your own research, I started out with watching various food documentaries on Netflix (streaming). Some were blatantly biased, but some were fairly reasonable. From there, I got enough information to be able to cross reference what they were saying with reports, studies, etc. all available for free in the public domain.

Eating real foods is sometimes more expensive, but not that much more. But it does take a lot of time and effort to educate yourself, choose healthy alternatives, and of course takes time to do the extra cooking. But for me it has been worth it.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'm going against MFP um...wisdom.. and say bad .. often really bad.

We stopped taking Table Sugar in drinks and on cereals over 10 years ago - never missed it once.

I feel bad when I've eaten over sweet processed foods .. and so I steer clear of them
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I feel bad when I've eaten over sweet processed foods .. and so I steer clear of them

How sad it must be to feel guilty after eating something delicious, especially if it fits into your day.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

We stopped taking Table Sugar in drinks and on cereals over 10 years ago - never missed it once.

That sucks. I'm glad I'm not that way.
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Pop-Tarts and varieties of flavored peanut butters, cookie butters, etc. Ice Cream.

Yes. Eat the food in a balanced diet. Noms.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of processed food. Just off the top of my head:

Large scale, uniform threshing and milling of grains, introduced during the Roman Empire (perhaps earlier in China) is to thank for the fact that most of us keep our teeth well into our forties.

Nixtamalization, used informally by Native Americans and systematically by Europeans since the 19th century, is to thank for the fact that most of us don't have to worry about pellagra.

Vitamin D fortification, introduced in the early 20th century and later made mandatory, is to thank for the fact that most of us don't have to worry about rickets.

There's probably much, much more to say. We have it so easy nowadays that it's easy to forget what we used to have to deal with.
  • Shropshire1959
    Options

How sad it must be to feel guilty after eating something delicious, especially if it fits into your day.

Nope, no guilt here
  • Shropshire1959
    Options

That sucks. I'm glad I'm not that way.

Each to his own
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'm doing well with Dr Nick:

33uvbxf.jpg

Though to be honest, I don't really have a great sweet tooth. Melted camembert and bitter is inherently better for the body and soul.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Here's my take from doing lots of research from documentaries, the interwebs, and reading. Of course, there can always be bias in anything you read or watch, but you can follow up and do your own research.

I stay away from processed foods as much as possible, but I still eat them occasionally. Most processed foods are so changed, that the essential vitamins and minerals that are in the original version of the basic ingredients get removed. In addition, remember that food companies are in the business to make money. Therefore a lot of what they add to these foods, such as food coloring, sweeteners, etc. are unnecessary. Some additives are put in with the express purpose of making you want more - basically addicting you to their product.

If you think government regulations and the FDA test these additives and foods to make sure they aren't cancer causing or in any way bad for you, you are incorrect. The FDA is generally staffed by former and future employees and execs of Monsanto and Cargill and other chemical and food companies. The FDA does almost no testing because of no budget, and instead relies on the food companies to test their own products and submit the results to the FDA. So just like cigarette companies had studies that said that smoking has no ill effects, food and chemical companies have their own studies that say these additives are just fine. And the FDA has no choice but to believe them.

The history of why this has happened over the decades is interesting, but not surprising, if you ever want to research it. But bottom line is it is cheaper for the food corps to take real food, process it, add stuff to it, package it, and sell it to you, than it is to sell you "real" food. In addition, with economies of scale, they can pump out more food to feed more people, though the food isn't as healthy. So there is a tradeoff. Subsidies from our tax dollars go to corporations that make processed foods, and you will not see those subsidies going to farmers that sell the real stuff, hence you can buy lots more processed food than real food.

Can you eat processed foods and lose weight? Yes. Can you eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner at McDonalds and still lose weight? Yes. But to me, being healthy isn't only about a goal weight. It is feeding my body with the appropriate number of calories, vitamins, and minerals to keep me alive and feeling energetic, while staving off colds, diseases, etc.

I'm not one of those tin-foil hat people who is looking for conspiracies, but the more research I do into today's food policies in the US, the more I see that I need to stay away from the cheap mass-produced processed stuff.

If you are interested in doing your own research, I started out with watching various food documentaries on Netflix (streaming). Some were blatantly biased, but some were fairly reasonable. From there, I got enough information to be able to cross reference what they were saying with reports, studies, etc. all available for free in the public domain.

Eating real foods is sometimes more expensive, but not that much more. But it does take a lot of time and effort to educate yourself, choose healthy alternatives, and of course takes time to do the extra cooking. But for me it has been worth it.

This sadly has been my conclusion too, especially when I got more into the politics, lobbying and special interest side of things -- it was just downright shocking to me on so many levels. Or when I read about certain psychological and physiological aspects of food effects, marketing and advertising and how that's been manipulated by various industries -- Mindless Eating is a fascinating book for that reason alone.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Some people never touch restaurant or eat pre-packaged foods - always home cooked - but still don't get the nutrients they need because the foods they cook and eat are not nutrient dense.

Most of those people would be better off eating canned fruits and vegetables, frozen processed meals, etc. than they are eating their own home-cooked meals. Many would probably have better control of their waistlines, too.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options

I took it as she feels bad physically.
  • KaylaBushman
    Options
    When I stopped assigning moral values to foods, I reclaimed control of my eating. The responsibility was mine the whole time, of course, but I couldn't see it as long as I was giving food so much power.

So the answer to your question "good or bad?" is simply "no."

^^^^ this and I also second the comment about how there are no good or bad foods, just good or bad portion sizes. And those portion sizes are dictated by personal goals on a very individual basis.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    My usual comment; we need a definition of 'processed' for the question to be useful.

As for added sugar - I don't believe my body will know whether I have 'added' the sugar or it was already in the food in the ground.

We could do with a better definition of this.

If I squeeze and orange over my duck, is that added sugar, for instance?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

If you're asking me to join you in hatin' on corporations, I'm down with that.

But if you're asking me to get on the puritanical, self-flagellating, nachos-and-ice-cream-hating bandwagon, thanks, but I'll wait for the next one. :drinker:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I took it as she feels bad physically.

That's how I took it too. I feel ill sometimes when I eat extremely greasy foods, but only because my body isn't used to that level of fat anymore. It has nothing to do if it's a homemade chicken fried steak or fried chicken from KFC.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

If I squeeze and orange over my duck, is that added sugar, for instance?

I like where this is going
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

Some people never touch restaurant or eat pre-packaged foods - always home cooked - but still don't get the nutrients they need because the foods they cook and eat are not nutrient dense.

Most of those people would be better off eating canned fruits and vegetables, frozen processed meals, etc. than they are eating their own home-cooked meals. Many would probably have better control of their waistlines, too.

It's this sort of ridiculous I'm talking about --- which I've seen a lot on MFP.

Sure, people can home cook all their meals and still end up malnourished. But, as a general premise, no one recommends eating canned fruits and veggies, frozen processed meals and restaurant food over home cooked meals -- because the original premise is so incredibly unlikely, even if possible.

And if that was the case, then you'd tell the person to learn about basic nutrients and incorporate them in to their home cooking -- not to eat canned fruits/veggies, frozen processed meals and restaurant foods instead.

It's so ridiculous it's hard to believe that such posters aren't paid food corp. reps. Because, really, can people be this intentionally obtuse and still survive in society?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

I took it as HE feels bad physically.
    FIFY
This discussion has been closed.