People who back into parking spaces

Options
1234568»

Replies

• allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    Because my car looks better backed into the space, and I can look at it as I walk away :)

Plus, I have a backup camera, so backing into the space is easy!

20130425_075632.jpg

WIN
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people. I always back in. Because I can. But also because when you back into the space you are reversing in a situation where you are controlling the traffic around you. When you back out of a space you are reversing in a situation where the traffic around you controls you. All of these comments about how it is more dangerous, or more likely to cause an accident, are absolutely wrong. Yes, you are more vulnerable reversing. This is why it makes sense to do so when traffic is waiting for you, as opposed to when you are waiting for traffic.
    QFTMFW!
    Damn, I couldn't put it better myself. It's such a habit with me, I even back my 3 vehicles into my driveway at home.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people. I always back in. Because I can. But also because when you back into the space you are reversing in a situation where you are controlling the traffic around you. When you back out of a space you are reversing in a situation where the traffic around you controls you. All of these comments about how it is more dangerous, or more likely to cause an accident, are absolutely wrong. Yes, you are more vulnerable reversing. This is why it makes sense to do so when traffic is waiting for you, as opposed to when you are waiting for traffic.

Me too! And for the exact, same reasons. I started backing into spaces when I got an extended length minivan in 1999. Been doing it ever since and am quite good at it. It's easier to back into a controlled situation/space than an uncontrolled one. Driving something with such a long back end, I got tired of trying to back out of spaces that I couldn't see out of. With an extended length van, it was easier to pull out nose first. I could see what was going on much sooner. So, I started backing it in. Now I drive a Honda--piece of cake backing that little thing in.

I started an epidemic of backed in cars at my job when I started working there. Many others started doing it, too.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    How does it save time? Yes, you might be able to get out quicker, but it takes you three times as long to park in the first place! Pet-peeve....:grumble:
  • hgroovy2
    hgroovy2 Posts: 6
    Options
    Not if you do it right. It is also far safer, and more comfortable for those around you as you do leave the parking spot.
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options

Exactly!

And... I drive a hot car. It looks cool. :smokin:
  • Lost_Zen
    Lost_Zen Posts: 20
    Options
    Dr. Oz told me to... it melts fat away!

:wink:
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Just leave this on their windshield:

bf5a0838413852a97b2918784ad40c20-bad-parking-postcard.jpg

MUST HAVE!
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Because it's easier (and safer) to pull out of a space than back out
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Just leave this on their windshield:

bf5a0838413852a97b2918784ad40c20-bad-parking-postcard.jpg

OMG I must get these for my dad. He's always *****ing about people's park jobs!
  • patticake16
    Options
    I always do this whenever and wherever I can including in my carport. Have done it so much, I'm pretty good at it. Since the neighbor next door has a brick wall between our two properties which can be problematic when trying to exit my parking spot, backing in makes it sooo much easier to leave.
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    How does it save time? Yes, you might be able to get out quicker, but it takes you three times as long to park in the first place! Pet-peeve....:grumble:

Those people need the practice. I pull up past the spot, toss it in reverse, and I'm in. Takes MAYBE an extra 3 seconds than pulling in. Pulling out saves about 10 seconds <insert "that's what she said">
  • laynerich15
    laynerich15 Posts: 1,918 Member
    Options
    I do it because I can.
  • TE76RA
    TE76RA Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    because I can do it in one go quite easily and then its quicker to get out. I dont hold anyone up either way. But then its a requirement in a lot of places I park, to park rear to kerb. :happy: