Stop demeaning female bodybuilders

Options

Replies

• TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    Also I would like to point out that contrary to popular belief you can cut weight and build muscle at the same time. Now don't get me wrong, you won't make the muscle gains you would from bulking, but your muscles will grow as you lose fat. I know as I've dropped 30 lbs of fat and increased my muscle mass exponentially as well as my lifts.

Could it be the fat is gone and now muscle is more visible??

That's not nearly as interesting or special as gaining muscle on a deficit!!!!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I don't like the use of the words "disgusting" or "gross," but let's face it; there is no way to say you don't find those body types attractive without coming across as demeaning or critical or negative. And I realize these competitors are not driven by what other people find attractive, but that is the heart of this piece ... "You think this is gross, but let me tell you how hard they work ..." Well, that's beside the point. Nobody is saying they don't work hard.

I know the author of this piece is talking about comments like the hurtful terms above or equating a female bodybuilder to a man, and certainly I agree with her on those points. But there is also a budding "If you don't find this attractive, go F yourself" sentiment in this community, and that's not right either. I respect anyone for working hard to achieve a goal, but I'm allowed to like what I like without apology or defense.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I admire the hard work and dedication that goes into the sport. I work out a lot, lift 3-4 times a week with respectable weights for my size, and I know I will never be able to build the kind of muscle these athletes possess. It's more than lifting. It's diet, it's maintaining the right nutrient balance, it's symmetry, it's commitment. Leaning out for competition is brutal. Bulking can be really hard because sometimes, food just looks like a horrible chore. To keep that up day in and day out is impressive.

The ability to mold the human form into a work of art should be commended.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    A lot of people only work out so they will look more attractive to others. So when they see people who are taking physical fitness to such an extreme they can't understand why they are doing it if it is not making them more attractive to others. They just don't understand the goals and motivations of a bodybuilder.

Note: To clarify I do not mean to say that bodybuilders are not attractive in general, but the competition/stage look with the thick glossy tans and the lights and the hiked up swimsuits and the low body fat levels that are not normally maintained, that look, while I understand it has its purpose, is not attractive to many people and is kind of freaky. So when average people see it on a poster or wherever they make rude comments even though they shouldn't.
    I have a friend at my gym who does figure competitions and I think she looks really good every time I see her person, but I did see some of her competition pics one time and in my head my initial reaction was 'yikes!'

I would say most people DO NOT work out to look more attractive to others. It's an added side benefit but not the main motivator.

Perhaps this would make a good poll question, I'm sure someone has already done one somewhere. Still, many people won't come out and say that looking good is their main motivation because they don't want to appear shallow.
    Call me shallow. I'm perfectly healthy and not all that overweight (not to a dangerous level). I work out and eat healthy 95% to look good.

The other 5% is to keep in shape so that as I age I can continue being active and healthy.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    A lot of people only work out so they will look more attractive to others. So when they see people who are taking physical fitness to such an extreme they can't understand why they are doing it if it is not making them more attractive to others. They just don't understand the goals and motivations of a bodybuilder.

Note: To clarify I do not mean to say that bodybuilders are not attractive in general, but the competition/stage look with the thick glossy tans and the lights and the hiked up swimsuits and the low body fat levels that are not normally maintained, that look, while I understand it has its purpose, is not attractive to many people and is kind of freaky. So when average people see it on a poster or wherever they make rude comments even though they shouldn't.
    I have a friend at my gym who does figure competitions and I think she looks really good every time I see her person, but I did see some of her competition pics one time and in my head my initial reaction was 'yikes!'

I agree that the difference between everyday appearance and competition posing for bodybuilders is pretty dramatic. I would bet that most natural bodybuilders would not necessarily be pegged as such on a normal day, when they're close to a competition.

When I was a teenager training at the local Gold's, there was a female bodybuilder that worked out around the same time I did. She was ~5ft tall. She looked amazing all the time - no one in their right mind would have called her anything like 'manly'. It was always fun to see the new peoples' eyes get really big when she'd grab the 50lb dumbbells and crank out bicep curls, or load 200-250 lbs on the bar for squats. Yet I'm sure at competitions she looked as developed as the photos in the articles.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    The farther along the body modification spectrum someone gets, the fewer people appreciate it.

Man, woman, any kind of modification.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Oh hey there. I wrote this article!

I'm glad some of you enjoyed it and that it's provoked some conversation. Love seeing some of the responses for this.

I agree it's just as wrong to body-shame someone who is overweight as much as someone with a bodybuilder's physique - I like that someone pointed that out. They're very different situations, but the principle still stands.

I love when the author of an article shows up. :)
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Lots of sexy female body builders out there. I have yet to see or hear anyone say anything to their face. It probably wouldn't end well. Great read.
  • pattimacaulay
    pattimacaulay Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Nevermind. Nothing to see here. Move along people.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I would not demean anyone, particularly if they look as though they can snap my neck with their thighs.

It makes me really cross, though. We can't win. If a woman exercises and builds her body up for her own enjoyment and her own achievement, that's bad. If she's fat, that's bad, and so much the worse if she doesn't give a s**t about it.

I do not find male or female competition builders sexually attractive, but I imagine that they (rightfully) do not give one toss about that. The whims of a chubby trainwreck living in a rainy little hole in England should not factor into anyone's decision making.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I agree about not being demeaning towards anyone, regardless of their bodies. Calling someone's body "disgusting" is really, really rude, and I associate that kind of thing with internet trolls.

Needless to say, that goes both way. Overweight people shaming those who are thin, thin shaming the obese. Slim women shaming female bodybuilders, and female bodybilders referring to just about everybody as "not in shape".

I don't dislike female bodybuilders at all, but I have experienced a few times that they are critical of others and have a low bar for calling others "skinnyfat". Some love to promote the "strong is the new skinny" and how health is more important, although some appear to be obsessed. Sometimes it's accompanied by random commandments, telling strangers over social media to "lift properly girls!"
    In a discussion about weight goals one fitness woman gave me a strategy as to minimize my body fat. I wrote that I wasn't really interested in going below 18% and that 22-23% was fine by me. It then turned into a discussion where I felt like I had to defend my goal, and the simple reason is that I think a woman's body is more attractive with a bit more fat on it, and secondly, that going down to 18% bodyfat, a woman's fertility gets compromised. These are really just facts, but I was called "hateful".

I am fine with whatever other people want for their own bodies, as long as they are fine with me handling mine. One person's goal is not everybody's goal, and that's ok.

Love this post. :smile:
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My biggest thing about how people want their bodies to look... IT'S THEIR FREAKING CHOICE!
    I remember a time, no so long ago, when internet bullying did not exist because everything was still local, and you talked trash online someone came over and broke your face. Now it is a bunch of pathetic kids who get their jollies trying to insult anything not just like them.

Never before has the world had more freedoms with more hatred to go along with it. The more free we get the more jackoffs we seem to become. Sad.
  • rml_16
    Options
    you talked trash online someone came over and broke your face.

Where do you live that people behave that way?

As for there being more "jack-offs," that isn't the case. We have the same number, they just have a wider more public platform.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

I'm glad some of you enjoyed it and that it's provoked some conversation. Love seeing some of the responses for this.

I agree it's just as wrong to body-shame someone who is overweight as much as someone with a bodybuilder's physique - I like that someone pointed that out. They're very different situations, but the principle still stands.

Thank you for the article. It was good perspective a little shamming on my part. I don't like the look of overly built people, its a little terrifying to me. I can respect the effort and dedication, but I used to be one of the people who'd say "ew" in my head. I try really hard not to comment on people's bodies negatively because I don't like to be negatively commented on. Amending my thinking, however.

Could someone explain the spray tan thing though? I think that has a lot to do with my initial response of "ew". People aren't supposed to be orange....
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

I would say most people DO NOT work out to look more attractive to others. It's an added side benefit but not the main motivator.

Perhaps this would make a good poll question, I'm sure someone has already done one somewhere. Still, many people won't come out and say that looking good is their main motivation because they don't want to appear shallow.
    Call me shallow. I'm perfectly healthy and not all that overweight (not to a dangerous level). I work out and eat healthy 95% to look good.

The other 5% is to keep in shape so that as I age I can continue being active and healthy.

See, I'm at the point that any future improvements are just not that evident with clothes on. I lift because I like it. I bike because I like it. I want to get leaner, basically just to see if I can so I can be happier naked, which only one other person sees. Looking more attractive to "others', meh, I don't care that much.
  • rml_16
    Options
    See, I'm at the point that any future improvements are just not that evident with clothes on. I lift because I like it. I bike because I like it. I want to get leaner, basically just to see if I can so I can be happier naked, which only one other person sees. Looking more attractive to "others', meh, I don't care that much.

But if you stopped doing those things, you might not look so good in clothes anymore (take my word for it! lol).

So on some level, even if it's not your top priority, it is probably one of the reasons you do it.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Ever noticed when someone meets a woman how quickly they say: You look great!

It is as if the first thing we feel we can judge about a woman openly is her appearance.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    how about everybody just shuts the ####up....

men demeaning women.. steroid users demeaning naturals... cats pooping on dogs heads... all of that ####
  • Perrybarger
    Options
    To me.. any human that takes their body to the higher levels of fitness I am in awe of them. As much hard work and dedication as it has taken me to lose weight, I can only imagine the sacrifices they make to achieve those levels. I don't give a damn if it is a male or female you have nothing but my respect. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and what one person does not find attractive another person will. Anyone who looks at these folks and don't see nothing but hard work and determination will never get it and should just keep their mouths shut. If I can take my body to even a 10th of what a lot of these ladies have done I will be very happy.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

Thank you for the article. It was good perspective a little shamming on my part. I don't like the look of overly built people, its a little terrifying to me. I can respect the effort and dedication, but I used to be one of the people who'd say "ew" in my head. I try really hard not to comment on people's bodies negatively because I don't like to be negatively commented on. Amending my thinking, however.

Could someone explain the spray tan thing though? I think that has a lot to do with my initial response of "ew". People aren't supposed to be orange....

First of all, original author, great article. I also liked the one it linked to about what "toning" means.

Second, as to spray tan, darker skin just helps show muscle definition better.

Thanks!