Are Quest Bars clean?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    why have none of the die hard clean eaters come to comment on this thread?

maybe you need to start one "are quest bars paleo" just for the mental image of Homo erectus people hunting quest bars or picking them off fruit trees :laugh:

Maybe the clean eaters are not going to rise to the flame baiting!!! :smile:

Flame baiting? I find that kinda funny coming from a guy who posted a thread earlier in the week called "sugar and processed food good or bad?" Just sayin'...........

A thread which got locked because it was intentionally divisive and baiting.

Anyway, I find it genuinely interesting that Quest is fairly heavily marketing their products as "clean" but no one, even on MFP, appears to be willing to characterize them that way.

Sure you're interested :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Indeed. I've learned things in this thread. People who actually care about "clean" food seem uninterested in Quest bars and this advertising campaign. Instead, they seem to be going after people who have no real opinion one way or another about the word "clean" or "clean food" but may be intrigued by the healthy-sounding buzzword.

My perspective has changed as a result of the people who actually addressed my question, and I appreciate that.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

How about a finger of fudge!

Is just enough to give your kids a treat
    A Cadbury's fudge is just enough
    Until it's time to eat
    It's full of Cadbury's goodness
    And very small and neat....

Noooooooo, now I will be humming that!

I haven't stopped humming it since I thought of it 15 minutes ago.

Damn you all! I just got the Mars one out of my head, and now you make me sing this!

How about "Everyone's a Fruit and Nut case!" Darn catchy jingles :-(

Oh touché!

Hunky, chunky almonds!!

Gaaaaaaaah.

Anyone remember this? I'm a secret lemonade drinker....

rwhites.jpg

Apparently the theme song was written and sung by Elvis Costello's dad.

Oh, the power of marketing to make you remember and keep products in your mind!
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    No you aren't. You make your own definition of clean eating so what exactly do you think the answer is to your question? Your are clearly trolling...

I have no definition of clean eating. I've stated many times all over the forum that the very concept of "clean" food makes no sense.

No debate from me. A troll is a troll is a troll and clearly OP is a troll!

Cool, you've got your clean eating debate you wanted!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I personally don't eat Quest Bars because they are expensive but if i wasn't so cheap... i would.....

Now, if they are clean or not... I would say NO.. but like most people i think clean is a marketing term that health nuts made up to sell tofu and sunflower seeds.... for 20 Bucks a packet...

*sigh*

Clean should even be a term used it's just eating as you see fit. Which does not agree with what you see fit to eat. I think IIFYM was a term invented by people who are trying to justify eating candy bars and ice cream if they want to.. but ya know.. to each their won. live and let live yadda yadda yadda

Protein bars and powder are the biggest exception a lot of professed clean eaters make in their diet. My trainer even told me to eat clean, but supplement with powder as needed.

So it's whatever..

ETA: No i don't consider them clean. I do think it's just quest trying to showcase their bars as healthier then other bars. and attempting to appeal to people who are trying to get healthier.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Is just enough to give your kids a treat
    A Cadbury's fudge is just enough
    Until it's time to eat
    It's full of Cadbury's goodness
    And very small and neat....

Noooooooo, now I will be humming that!

I haven't stopped humming it since I thought of it 15 minutes ago.

Damn you all! I just got the Mars one out of my head, and now you make me sing this!

How about "Everyone's a Fruit and Nut case!" Darn catchy jingles :-(

Oh touché!

Hunky, chunky almonds!!

Gaaaaaaaah.

Anyone remember this? I'm a secret lemonade drinker....

rwhites.jpg

Apparently the theme song was written and sung by Elvis Costello's dad.

Oh, the power of marketing to make you remember and keep products in your mind!

Yep that's now in my head!

how about this one?

main8446.jpg
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Yes, as long as you don't drop them on the floor or in the toilet.
  • jmv7117
    Options
    why have none of the die hard clean eaters come to comment on this thread?

maybe you need to start one "are quest bars paleo" just for the mental image of Homo erectus people hunting quest bars or picking them off fruit trees :laugh:

Maybe the clean eaters are not going to rise to the flame baiting!!! :smile:

Flame baiting? I find that kinda funny coming from a guy who posted a thread earlier in the week called "sugar and processed food good or bad?" Just sayin'...........

A thread which got locked because it was intentionally divisive and baiting.

Anyway, I find it genuinely interesting that Quest is fairly heavily marketing their products as "clean" but no one, even on MFP, appears to be willing to characterize them that way.

Sure you're interested :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Indeed. I've learned things in this thread. People who actually care about "clean" food seem uninterested in Quest bars and this advertising campaign. Instead, they seem to be going after people who have no real opinion one way or another about the word "clean" or "clean food" but may be intrigued by the healthy-sounding buzzword.

My perspective has changed as a result of the people who actually addressed my question, and I appreciate that.

You should have put a warning on your reply. Now I have to CLEAN my 'puter!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    No, but Cliff Bars are...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
  • jmv7117
    Options
    I personally don't eat Quest Bars because they are expensive but if i wasn't so cheap... i would.....

Now, if they are clean or not... I would say NO.. but like most people i think clean is a marketing term that health nuts made up to sell tofu and sunflower seeds.... for 20 Bucks a packet...

*sigh*

Clean should even be a term used it's just eating as you see fit. Which does not agree with what you see fit to eat. I think IIFYM was a term invented by people who are trying to justify eating candy bars and ice cream if they want to.. but ya know.. to each their won. live and let live yadda yadda yadda

Protein bars and powder are the biggest exception a lot of professed clean eaters make in their diet. My trainer even told me to eat clean, but supplement with powder as needed.

So it's whatever..

As a clean eater, I do agree with your assessment of IIFYM or at least the way some here like to push their junk food on others. I don't have a trainer on my goal towards better fitness. I would think not all trainers are created equal and would be leery of one pushing protein bars and powder if they are recommending you eat clean or know you eat clean.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I thought we were still trying to get a universally accepted definition on “clean” eating before we can put foods into that catagory :huh: :bigsmile:
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    No, but they are effin delicious!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Food marketing is an interesting subject especially given that many descriptions and benefits given to a product seem to be based on nothing tangible but rather smoke and mirrors.

I remember as a kid growing up in the UK that there was a long running campaign for "Mars" chocolate bars based on the idea that "A Mars a day helps you work, rest and play."

I must eat that, I thought. It will help me work, rest and play. What magic! I felt almost virtuous.

In fact any food will help you work, rest and play as it contains calories (energy) as well as nutrients. All the Mars Bar was proudly proclaiming was that it had the same benefit of just about anything else...

a mars a day helps you work rest and play..... that's going to be in my head for the rest of the day now lol

actually when I was a kid everyone in my school sang "a mars a day helps your teeth rot away" (thinking we were rebels because we'd changed it, like how singing "he jumped without a parachute for 40,000 feet" instead of "mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the lord" in assembly was rebellious) - this version was probably coined by a dentist with a good head for marketing lol

I still love mars bars, to me they're the archetypal chocolate bars and all others are just a variation of the mars bar...

no. just no. because the alternative lyrics that kids at my high school sang to that one are just.... well I'm not going to type them I don't want a strike. The word "finger" should give you a clue though.... :laugh:
  • msf74
    Options

main8446.jpg

Lulz - I used to love the Smash robots.

And the Shake n Vac lady. She had some moves.

The sad thing is I know when I leave work today I will be heading straight to the shop and buying a Mars Bar, a finger of fudge and some R Whites lemonade...
  • Jollybeard
    Jollybeard Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, "clean" seems to have a pretty squishy definition. Here (http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/food-health/food-and-health-news/what-is-clean-eating/) "clean" is defined as a food that is eaten in its natural state or as close to it as possible. Okay. So, what is the natural form of a quest bar? Arguably, the form that it comes in, so in that sense yes, it is clean. Another way to read this is that quest bars are not naturally occurring food sources; they are manufactured. So in that sense, no. They are not clean. I guess my point is that the rules seem pretty arbitrary and since there is no regulation or labeling law that would prevent one from appropriating the term "clean" then it is pretty much the wild west out there.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    I thought we were still trying to get a universally accepted definition on “clean” eating before we can put foods into that catagory :huh: :bigsmile:

I don't think it is possible to get a universal definition (everyone' needs and ideals are different - as it should be).

Maybe the only universal accepted term should be MDMR.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

main8446.jpg

Lulz - I used to love the Smash robots.

And the Shake n Vac lady. She had some moves.

The sad thing is I know when I leave work today I will be heading straight to the shop and buying a Mars Bar, a finger of fudge and some R Whites lemonade...

Arghhhhhhh not shake and vac. Now my head is going to explode.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Food marketing is an interesting subject especially given that many descriptions and benefits given to a product seem to be based on nothing tangible but rather smoke and mirrors.

I remember as a kid growing up in the UK that there was a long running campaign for "Mars" chocolate bars based on the idea that "A Mars a day helps you work, rest and play."

I must eat that, I thought. It will help me work, rest and play. What magic! I felt almost virtuous.

In fact any food will help you work, rest and play as it contains calories (energy) as well as nutrients. All the Mars Bar was proudly proclaiming was that it had the same benefit of just about anything else...

a mars a day helps you work rest and play..... that's going to be in my head for the rest of the day now lol

actually when I was a kid everyone in my school sang "a mars a day helps your teeth rot away" (thinking we were rebels because we'd changed it, like how singing "he jumped without a parachute for 40,000 feet" instead of "mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the lord" in assembly was rebellious) - this version was probably coined by a dentist with a good head for marketing lol

I still love mars bars, to me they're the archetypal chocolate bars and all others are just a variation of the mars bar...

no. just no. because the alternative lyrics that kids at my high school sang to that one are just.... well I'm not going to type them I don't want a strike. The word "finger" should give you a clue though.... :laugh:

:smile:
  • Honeycat89
    Honeycat89 Posts: 149
    Options
    Someone send me some Quest bars to the UK please! Thanks :)
  • msf74
    Options
    Someone send me some Quest bars to the UK please! Thanks :)

You can buy them on Amazon UK ;)

And also many flavours of poptarts if that's your bag.
This discussion has been closed.