Are Quest Bars clean?

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Someone send me some Quest bars to the UK please! Thanks :)

You can buy them on Amazon UK ;)

And also many flavours of poptarts if that's your bag.

What about peanut butter m&m's - it's probably a good thing they don't sell them in the UK
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    It depends on which definition of "clean" you are going with.

Like all the "diets" there seem to be many different definitions, and people who follow them "mostly" or 80/20

I think they are delicious, and I will eat them.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Someone send me some Quest bars to the UK please! Thanks :)

You can buy them on Amazon UK ;)

And also many flavours of poptarts if that's your bag.

What about peanut butter m&m's - it's probably a good thing they don't sell them in the UK

Yup, those as well.

There are also a couple of shops in London which sell American stuff which I may or may not frequent as the mood takes me officer ;)

I have to say though a lot of the chocolate was a bit disappointing. I prefer UK , Belgian or Swiss chocolate in the main.

Also Five Guys burgers have opened up here and that was a bit of a let down after all I heard about it too....
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options

why have none of the die hard clean eaters come to comment on this thread?

maybe you need to start one "are quest bars paleo" just for the mental image of Homo erectus people hunting quest bars or picking them off fruit trees :laugh:

Maybe the clean eaters are not going to rise to the flame baiting!!! :smile:

Flame baiting? I find that kinda funny coming from a guy who posted a thread earlier in the week called "sugar and processed food good or bad?" Just sayin'...........

A thread which got locked because it was intentionally divisive and baiting.

Anyway, I find it genuinely interesting that Quest is fairly heavily marketing their products as "clean" but no one, even on MFP, appears to be willing to characterize them that way.

Sure you're interested :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Indeed. I've learned things in this thread. People who actually care about "clean" food seem uninterested in Quest bars and this advertising campaign. Instead, they seem to be going after people who have no real opinion one way or another about the word "clean" or "clean food" but may be intrigued by the healthy-sounding buzzword.

My perspective has changed as a result of the people who actually addressed my question, and I appreciate that.

You should have put a warning on your reply. Now I have to CLEAN my 'puter!

Why should he need a warning? You seem to think this was started as a troll thread, which is ridiculous. Yes, we all know he doesn't eat "clean" and is very vocal about why. However, that does not mean he can't be legitimately curious about what people who do profess to eat "clean" feel about this supposed marketing strategy.

I thought his reply was actually rather diplomatic, stating that his perspective had changed based on some of the replies.

Edited to fix quoting brackets :grumble:
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

*sigh*

Clean should even be a term used it's just eating as you see fit. Which does not agree with what you see fit to eat. I think IIFYM was a term invented by people who are trying to justify eating candy bars and ice cream if they want to.. but ya know.. to each their won. live and let live yadda yadda yadda

Why would anyone need to justify eating certain foods? I personally don't care what anyone else eats. I am curious about the thought process some people use when they include certain foods and exclude others, particularly when they are telling me what they think I should or should not eat based on their own views. Beyond that what someone else eats has no bearing on my life, and they don't need to justify anything to me. I don't understand why anyone would have to justify eating any type of food that they want to eat. Except for eating people, that one they're going to have some explaining to do.
  • emeraldeyes_bc
    emeraldeyes_bc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm sure "eating clean" can mean different things to different people.
    As far as bars go, Quest bars are the only ones we would recommend to people who's goal is to lose weight. Quest bars are the only Bars on the market at the moment that will not spike blood sugar. I'm sure you know how important stable blood sugar is for weight loss.
  • stgc95
    stgc95 Posts: 7
    Options
    depends if you drop 'em on the floor or not. remember, you can always rely on the 5 second rule.

Oh no, I thought it was 6 seconds. Urg... I feel sick now.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you know how important stable blood sugar is for weight loss.

Oh dear.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I also consider them low carb and high protein, but not delicious at all. The bars that I still have in my pantry are very clean because they are still in the wrapper and they will probably be there for a long time.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

*sigh*

Clean should even be a term used it's just eating as you see fit. Which does not agree with what you see fit to eat. I think IIFYM was a term invented by people who are trying to justify eating candy bars and ice cream if they want to.. but ya know.. to each their won. live and let live yadda yadda yadda

Why would anyone need to justify eating certain foods? I personally don't care what anyone else eats. I am curious about the thought process some people use when they include certain foods and exclude others, particularly when they are telling me what they think I should or should not eat based on their own views. Beyond that what someone else eats has no bearing on my life, and they don't need to justify anything to me. I don't understand why anyone would have to justify eating any type of food that they want to eat. Except for eating people, that one they're going to have some explaining to do.

I fully agree with you and IRL, we don't feel a need to justify our food choices to anyone. We've eaten a certain way for over 30 years. It works for us and that's all that matters. On the forums, it is a different game. If I say I eat clean, that one simple statement will throw a number of members on that thread into a tizzy. These member then go on to provoke. This happens over and over on the forums to anyone who says they eat clean. OP has been in this group that goes after the clean eaters and I suspect like others that this thread was started simply to get the clean eaters in an uproar, something that is against MFP forum policy.
  • Mamafred
    Mamafred Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I don't know about clean but they are way better than a handful of chips or a candy bar for a post gym snack.
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    eh...my mom always told me a little dirt never hurt anyone....so don't really care :bigsmile:
  • trisha986
    trisha986 Posts: 139
    Options
    I personally don't eat Quest Bars because they are expensive but if i wasn't so cheap... i would.....

Now, if they are clean or not... I would say NO.. but like most people i think clean is a marketing term that health nuts made up to sell tofu and sunflower seeds.... for 20 Bucks a packet...

*sigh*

Protein bars and powder are the biggest exception a lot of professed clean eaters make in their diet. My trainer even told me to eat clean, but supplement with powder as needed.

So it's whatever..

As a clean eater, I do agree with your assessment of IIFYM or at least the way some here like to push their junk food on others. I don't have a trainer on my goal towards better fitness. I would think not all trainers are created equal and would be leery of one pushing protein bars and powder if they are recommending you eat clean or know you eat clean.

I follow the "IIFYM" theory and I don't feel like I need to "justify" myself to anyone. I know plenty of people who do flexible dieting and they are shredded/in great shape. More so than some clean eaters. We are all working toward the same goal in the end. To be fit and look great! To build muscle, lean out, lose fat. Those things can be achieved with either clean eating or flexible dieting. So why do people care so much? Why are people judging me for being able to eat a donut, or pizza, and still be able to get fit and hit my Protein/Carb/Fat macros??
  • emeraldeyes_bc
    Options
    Do you believe Jesus walked on water too?

(Edit. Not sure why the quote didn't work. To the peep who called me out)
  • jonnythan
    Options

*sigh*

I fully agree with you and IRL, we don't feel a need to justify our food choices to anyone. We've eaten a certain way for over 30 years. It works for us and that's all that matters. On the forums, it is a different game. If I say I eat clean, that one simple statement will throw a number of members on that thread into a tizzy. These member then go on to provoke. This happens over and over on the forums to anyone who says they eat clean. OP has been in this group that goes after the clean eaters and I suspect like others that this thread was started simply to get the clean eaters in an uproar, something that is against MFP forum policy.

In all seriousness, saying "I eat clean" on the forums is highly problematic, because it means vastly different things to different people. I'd suggest saying something more specific, such as "I eat only whole foods" or "I avoid foods that have preservatives and added sugar" or whatever.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Do you believe Jesus walked on water too?

(Edit. Not sure why the quote didn't work. To the peep who called me out)

Who me? Why would having stable blood sugar be important for weight loss? I'm quite sure my blood sugar increases significantly after meals. Which is normal. And I seem to be doing OK.
  • emeraldeyes_bc
    Options
    I'm confused how "eating clean" became such a problem?? I know I'm new here... But where I'm from we started saying "eating clean" as a replacement for "dieting" because dieting has such unhealthy habits attached to it. "Eating clean" was basically just changing your lifestyle to a healthier more positive way of living. (Whatever that might be)
    If we're putting someone on a "diet", it's always tailored to that person so it would be impossible to narrow that term in our business. Is there some evil thing in this forum that "eating clean" means??
    I think it's ridiculous in a weight loss forum the people making healthier (cleaner? Lol) choices are the ones being shamed lol wtf is that?
    Am I missing something??
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I'm confused how "eating clean" became such a problem?? I know I'm new here... But where I'm from we started saying "eating clean" as a replacement for "dieting" because dieting has such unhealthy habits attached to it. "Eating clean" was basically just changing your lifestyle to a healthier more positive way of living. (Whatever that might be)
    If we're putting someone on a "diet", it's always tailored to that person so it would be impossible to narrow that term in our business. Is there some evil thing in this forum that "eating clean" means??
    I think it's ridiculous in a weight loss forum the people making healthier (cleaner? Lol) choices are the ones being shamed lol wtf is that?
    Am I missing something??

All choices are shamed in one way or another. Foods commonly seen as "unclean" like fast food, ice cream, Pop-tarts, etc, are often demonized on the forum. Foods commonly seen as "clean" aren't really demonized, but arguments arise when people tell others that they should eat clean. Clean means something different to everyone.

BTW, this isn't a weight loss forum. People are here for all kinds of different reasons. Some want to gain weight. Some want to maintain. Some want to lose. Some want to get better at marathons, some want to train for triathlons. Some want help getting over eating disorders. Some want to get bigger and stronger. Some want to rehab from injuries. Some want help with metabolic diseases, whether they are overweight or underweight.
  • emeraldeyes_bc
    Options
    Simple really. When you eat sugars, or simple carbs (that your body converts to sugars) pancreas goes into hyperdrive to create insulin to process the resulting blood sugar spike to use it for energy. In turn, our body thinks we have lots of energy available and stops burning fat and storing it instead.
    This insulin surge will also cause too much blood sugar to be moved out of the blood. once the surge is over, both the blood sugar and insulin levels drop below normal leaving you tired, hungry, and wanting to eat more. Thus starting the cycle of wanting to eat something else with sugar to get that spike again, then storing more fat, and never actually burning the fat you need to burn.
  • emeraldeyes_bc
    Options
    Am I missing something??

All choices are shamed in one way or another. Foods commonly seen as "unclean" like fast food, ice cream, Pop-tarts, etc, are often demonized on the forum. Foods commonly seen as "clean" aren't really demonized, but arguments arise when people tell others that they should eat clean. Clean means something different to everyone.

BTW, this isn't a weight loss forum. People are here for all kinds of different reasons. Some want to gain weight. Some want to maintain. Some want to lose. Some want to get better at marathons, some want to train for triathlons. Some want help getting over eating disorders. Some want to get bigger and stronger. Some want to rehab from injuries. Some want help with metabolic diseases, whether they are overweight or underweight.

"Weight loss" was a poor choice on my part.
This discussion has been closed.