Anyone taking Adipex (Phentermine)?

Options

Replies

• idojpdx
    idojpdx Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Junebuggy,

You're lucky to have such a daughter. There'll be so much less to worry about as she gets older :)

I believed all the evil advice and suggestions of Cosmo, Mademoiselle and Glamour magazines too. Including what a terrific idea it was to *kitten* around. Which they're still advocating, by the way, for women in their marketing sphere. I suppose it made up for how fat and ugly I felt too when I was in my 20s and a mere 140 lbs at 5'6'' - courtesy of what those magazines suggested. How wrong I was.

Those mags are *really* bad.

I'm so glad I undid that brainwashing in my 30s. When I was actually fat. HA HA HA HA HA HA! The unexpected silver lining :)

Nice to meet you Junebuggy.

I never really undid the brainwashing. Bu I am somewhat more realistic now. I can look in the mirror now, at 140 and 5'1 and I like what I see. 140 is still over the range that is supposed to be normal for my height. I wear an XL, but I still feel good. A few months ago, when I was in Plus Sized clothing, I felt miserable about how I looked.

It's kind of embarrassing to say, but I probably care more about how I will look than about the health benefits of losing weight.

I think women of a "certain age," look better with 10 extra pounds as they grow older. In my case, I can already tell that my face now will look more hollow and sunken at 140 (my fighting weight as a "kid") than it did 20 years ago. It's one reason I'm shooting for 150 to start with.
  • Trishann2014
    Options
    Hello. I'm Trisha and I started Adipex (Phentermine) two months ago. As a matter of fact, I just left my third appt. The first month I lost 3 pounds. I didn't exercise with it because I was away on military duty and couldn't get to the gym like I wanted. Today, I found that I lost 6 more pounds. I worked out this last month. Some people say Adipex makes them jittery. I think when you start to feel like that, that is your Q to do a little something, even if it's just going for a brisk walk. Also, make sure to eat. You won't feel like it. I usually have an EAS shake in the morning when I take mine. EAS shakes are inexpensive and can be found at WalMart in the diet supplement area. They have no sugar and taste really good. Anyway, I hope you succeed on your weight lost goal. I have two reasons to continue my journey: 1) Uncle Sam don't play and 2) I'm getting married in July. So I have a lot of motivation to get to my goal weight!!
    Good Luck,
    Trisha
  • idojpdx
    idojpdx Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm Trisha and I started Adipex (Phentermine) two months ago. As a matter of fact, I just left my third appt. The first month I lost 3 pounds. I didn't exercise with it because I was away on military duty and couldn't get to the gym like I wanted. Today, I found that I lost 6 more pounds. I worked out this last month. Some people say Adipex makes them jittery. I think when you start to feel like that, that is your Q to do a little something, even if it's just going for a brisk walk. Also, make sure to eat. You won't feel like it. I usually have an EAS shake in the morning when I take mine. EAS shakes are inexpensive and can be found at WalMart in the diet supplement area. They have no sugar and taste really good. Anyway, I hope you succeed on your weight lost goal. I have two reasons to continue my journey: 1) Uncle Sam don't play and 2) I'm getting married in July. So I have a lot of motivation to get to my goal weight!!
    Good Luck,
    Trisha

Good luck, Trisha! It sounds like you have a couple of strong motivators there.

I'm surprised you couldn't work out when deployed. My nephew, a Marine, deployed to Iraq for six months a few years ago, and he was able to exercise regularly.
  • marckromano
    Options
    Phentermine is good but it comes with some side effects.i tried a natural alternative called phenterpill, and i lost weight as if i was taking phentermine. phentermine with the time can be quite bad for the body.
    I wish you a good luck with your plans!
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I think women of a "certain age," look better with 10 extra pounds as they grow older. In my case, I can already tell that my face now will look more hollow and sunken at 140 (my fighting weight as a "kid") than it did 20 years ago. It's one reason I'm shooting for 150 to start with.

Yes, I think you are right. My face looks good at 140. If I start looking gaunt and drawn at 130, I will put the extra pounds back. I have enough wrinkles without drawing attention to them!

My weight according to FitDay should be between 105 and 132. I don't think they take into effect your age. My doctor said, when I got to BMI of 29, that was fine for me.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Options
    Good Luck,
    Trisha

Hi Trisha! It must be tough to do all this on Military Duty! Thanks for taking care of our country.
    Junebug
  • jltyler72
    Options
    So, I've been trolling these Adipex threads for about a week now. I started on Adipex 5 days ago. I'm 29, 5'5, HW- 190, SW 181, CW- 172. I also have PCOS, and a family history of Type 2 Diabetes (but not me).

I have a history of dieting- more intensely at times but basically for the past 15 years I've always felt like I was on a diet. I've gotten to the point where exercise is just part of my daily routine- i workout frequently- weights, crossfit, hot yoga, spin, cardio 5-6 days a week.

Because I've been "on a diet" for so long I really do make mostly healthy choices, but I had become slightly relaxed on just how healthy I was eating.

Well, I kicked it up a notch at the beginning of the year (Jan 2014) . I cut my my caloric intake to 1,200-1,400 range and my weight had barely budged in 3 months- literally I lost 2 pounds in 3 months.

I went to see my doc in March and told him I was just so frustrated. Its almost depressing to do it all right- measure, count, weigh, track, exercise and see NOTHING change. So he gave me Adipex. But i didn't start taking it right then. First I decided to try one more thing- eat for my PCOS.

So 5 weeks ago I went low GI, low carb and I cut grains, legumes, sugar, dairy, soy and alcohol- 90% of the time (a few cheats here and there so I can stay on track). In those 4.5 weeks i lost another 2 lbs.

Finally i said screw this- and started taking Adipex. In 5 days I've lost 3.2 more lbs. I hope that the weight keeps coming off for me.

All these people that say "track and exercise and you'll lose weight"... its sadly not always true for everyone.

I'm so worried that once I stop taking it, even though I will maintain my exercise and low carb/ essentially paleo lifestyle, I will start gaining again. I cant keep going on like this- Being obsessed with food/ calories and depressed over my body and weight, and the inability to lose weight.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Made Healthy choices, regular exercise and still not able to lose- took Adipex, had success and kept it off?

I know exactly what you mean! I have had Hashimoto's for 10 years and I struggle all the time trying to lose weight. I used to be 105lbs and did fitness model competitions all with diet and exercise but now 10 years later I have to measure my progress by the decimals on the scale. I have always ate very well and I didn't stop exercising other than during extreme hashi attacks and some surgeries but went right back to it when I was ready. It doesn't seem to matter how good my diet and exercise is I struggle to lose a single pound.

I used to be one of those people (10+ years ago) that said you don't need drug assistance just have a good diet and exercise and the weight will come off. Going through this, and I will the rest of my life, I have come to realize we are not all made from the same mold and what works for one doesn't always work for another.
  • Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I just started taking phentermine today. I have RA, fibro, Hashimoto's, and DDD in my spine. Needless to say, exercising is very difficult. I have gained back the weight I lost two years ago, when I was diagnosed with RA, fibro and DDD. Plus I gained an extra 20. It has been a difficult road in getting used to my life the way it is now. I am in chronic pain and have to take pain meds every day in order to function. I am hopeful that this medication will help me to lose weight. I am working on the eating habits. I can do it, its just making sure im not sleeping all day and can get the right foods in my body. I have an aggresive RA and will be starting IV infusions next week. I am praying it works because I have tried so many drugs with no luck. Phentermine is a positive move for me.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Options
    I just started taking phentermine today. I have RA, fibro, Hashimoto's, and DDD in my spine. Needless to say, exercising is very difficult. I have gained back the weight I lost two years ago, when I was diagnosed with RA, fibro and DDD. Plus I gained an extra 20. It has been a difficult road in getting used to my life the way it is now. I am in chronic pain and have to take pain meds every day in order to function. I am hopeful that this medication will help me to lose weight. I am working on the eating habits. I can do it, its just making sure im not sleeping all day and can get the right foods in my body. I have an aggresive RA and will be starting IV infusions next week. I am praying it works because I have tried so many drugs with no luck. Phentermine is a positive move for me.

I have a lot of back issues. My physical therapist says that losing weight is the best thing I can do for my back. I am not supposed to extend my back, only flex it. He said to get an exercise bike, because that is the right position. It's helped!
  • mjac1998
    mjac1998 Posts: 15
    Options
    I started taking Phentermine 3/11 I was 220 I have lost 65 lbs so far. I never really experience any horrible side affects while taking it, it did help me to change my eating habits and i became more active. I went off of it for about a year, did not loose or gain, but my goal is to loose another 30, so i have went back on them and have up my activity level, which helps me tremendously. Good luck to everyone who choose to use them, if it works, go for it. Its not a BAD thing, sometimes it can motivate one to keep losing, once you see the weight come off, and with determination you will keep it off!
  • Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of back issues. My physical therapist says that losing weight is the best thing I can do for my back. I am not supposed to extend my back, only flex it. He said to get an exercise bike, because that is the right position. It's helped!

I wish just losing weight would allow me to actually be as active as I would like to be. I am not supposed to run or jump, or bend over. The last one is a bit hard to not do at times. I have heard a recumbent bike is good. I wouldn't mind getting one. I would try to do it. I get a lot of hip, & knee pain with the RA though.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Options
    MJ, that's fantastic that you lost the weight then didn't gain anything in the year you were off Phen. That's my goal; to keep the good eating habits after I stop taking Phen. Another 30; will it be tough to do?

Woozie, let us know how the IV injections go.Recumbent trikes seem to be great! When I was in Florida last month, we got a recumbent trike for my friend when we were renting bikes. That recumbent trike was a blessing for her. It was the only time she had gotten outside and exercised in years.

I love being able to use my exercise bike. It was a cheapie, but it works fine. It has a display and heart rate monitor. Riding the bike is one of the few exercises I can do that don't cause me back pain. I can do a real bike outside now too!!
  • Junebuggyzy
    Options
    I used to be one of those people (10+ years ago) that said you don't need drug assistance just have a good diet and exercise and the weight will come off. Going through this, and I will the rest of my life, I have come to realize we are not all made from the same mold and what works for one doesn't always work for another.

It irks me when people think there is only one way to do things. Some of the people on this board can be brutal when they hear you are on diet pills.

By the way, I got slammed on one thread about Belviq or whatever that new drug is called. These people had so much fun cutting me up, that they are STILL doing it two weeks later. If you want some fun. go to the thread and try talking sense into them. Let us know what happens!

Here's the thread. Have fun!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1029307-new-diet-pills-belviq-vs-qsymia
  • kornpopper
    Options
    you go girl
  • amberm912
    amberm912 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies/gents... I just got my new insurance coverage and i have to go back to the doctor, my concern is I am not quite sure which doctor to talk to about this. I have done tons of research and even had a friend who had great success on Phentermine.

I went to my GYN last year and got a MIRENA IUD. Since then I have had ridiculous side effects, first of which was losing my hair, it would literally come out in clumps in the shower, I even had a bald spot the size of a 50 cent in the back of my head. Talk about a bad hair day :-// Some of the other side effects are serious insomnia, acne all over, lack of motivation, and weight gain. (I have gained about 30 lbs since last march...regardless of my diet or exercise regimen.)They think it may have caused estrogen dominance in my body. Needless to say I am having it taken out & getting my tubes tied, since I do not want any more children.

Here lies my question...I have read tons of stuff with people with the same issues, I came across things where a lady said she had to take Phen & a compound progesterone pill to combat the imbalance. I know if taking the Mirena out doesn't solve my issue then I will have to see a hormone doctor. I am curious if I can ask my GYN for this script or do I need to see my primary or a nutritionist or who? I've spent too many days being emotional about the things this has done to my body, but I am ready to get it fixed.

I am 5'4" & 25 years young

My starting weight in 2012: 230
    My lowest weight in 2013: 173.9
    My current weight since the IUD: 203.5

Goal weight is 160 ....toned

All help is appreciated!
    Thanks so much!

14119689.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

It irks me when people think there is only one way to do things. Some of the people on this board can be brutal when they hear you are on diet pills.

By the way, I got slammed on one thread about Belviq or whatever that new drug is called. These people had so much fun cutting me up, that they are STILL doing it two weeks later. If you want some fun. go to the thread and try talking sense into them. Let us know what happens!

Talking sense into them? Seems like most already have it.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Options

Talking sense into them? Seems like most already have it.

As someone earlier in the thread said, this post asks for what your experience on Adipex is. Not about "You need to work out more and eat less the "natural" way." We get it that you feel that way. But please take your opinions elsewhere. Thank you.

Idea: How about you start a thread called "Why diet pills are horrible for you." Then you can share this information where people want to hear it.
  • staceynelson35
    staceynelson35 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started my weight loss on March 1 , 2014. I have gradually gained weight over the years. My highest weight was 273 lbs 5' 3. I have a daughter that's 17 and one that's 12. My metabolism was almost dead. I started walking and taking the pill. My weight as of May 10th is 240.6 lbs. My goal is 173 :wink: lbs. I've read some of the answers. I am afraid of the weight gain once this last month is over. I was so excited about all the weight loss. I will make sure to gradually come down off my doses. Pray for me.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    can I / should I combine wellbutrin and Phentermine together is anyone taking the two together?
    ... I've heard there are a lot of bad side effects from Phentermine is it worth the risk compared to the weight loss?
    I'm on both, and my endocrinologist and psychologist chatted before OKing me using phentermine.

I'd been watching my calories for a couple months before I started exercising regularly, and neither of those did anything for my weight.
    When I started the phentermine, I started to steadily lose between 1 and 3 lb per week. (While still watching calories and exercising. It's not magic; you still have to do the work.)

Other than my blood pressure being a little higher than they're happy with, I have no complaints. No jitters, no dry mouth, no insomnia, nothing. (Of course, I drink a lot of water anyway, trying to help with weight loss.) And if I can get the BP under control, she says I could go up to the higher dose.

But as someone else asked, if you're not feeling hungry thanks to the Wellbutrin, why do you want another appetite suppressant?
  • wesbruk
    wesbruk Posts: 1
    Options
    I have taken Adipex before went from 250 pounds to 173 pounds. I felt amazing! I was also exercising and eating nothing but baked chicken or tilapia for dinner. I did gain all my weight back eventually but that was because I pretty much stopped eating healthy and exercising. With that being said I am definitely going back to get on adipex once again and keep the weight off this time. I was at 240 and I am down to 234 in two weeks. I am ready to kick this in high gear and get extremely motivated! But in my opinion as long as you stick to your normal routine you will do fine coming off the adipex if that is what you want to do.