Runner with a serious sugar addiction

Options
15678911»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I totally understand what you are going through. I am also a runner addicted to chocolate. Many people here have said that it isn't an addiction but if you haven't been there its difficult to understand.

To this, I could respond, if you haven't suffered from both an addiction and a behavioral disorder, then you can't understand the distinction between the two. :wink:

To this I could respond, if you aren't the person in question, then you just can't understand what they are going through. I've noticed that most people who have struggled with compulsions and/or addictions and who have worked to overcome them go either one of two ways - they are either very sympathetic and empathetic or very unforgiving of the person who still struggles. Your posts seem to indicate that you have no sympathy for someone who can't overcome their issues as you have or are doing. The whole post you made about not blaming inanimate objects first made met think this and this post does the same.

Every person is unique. Some people have experiences that make them similar, yet some people can have the same experiences and be completely different. No one is right or wrong. Have you ever heard the saying that your perception is your reality? No matter whether you think a person who is dealing with a compulsion or addiction is right or wrong, their perception will be what is real to them. You can try to educate a person and help them change their perceptions, but just telling them they are wrong or don't know anything does nothing to help the situation. Many people who truly struggle with compulsions and/or addictions don't want to struggle - I would gladly give up my compulsions to have a healthy relationship with food. Do I say that it's impossible to do because I've failed more times than I can count? No. Do I blame my weight on my compulsions? Yes. It's not an excuse, it's my reality. Do I want to feel helpless to the fact that even though I know what my problem is and I know the solution to it, I just can't seem to do that? No.

I don't disagree that the word addiction is thrown around way too much - the same with the word binge. I've seen posts and heard people talk about being addicted or binging and think "you have no idea". Then, I realize that just because I don't think they did these things doesn't mean that that isn't their reality.

I have sympathy for people who are trying to regain control of their life. I don't have sympathy for those who just make excuses and refuse to accept responsibility for their own actions.

There's a line in a Kid Rock song "...all the heroes at the methadone clinic..." that I find appropriate here. Everyone makes mistakes and bad choices in life. I respect people for accepting responsibility, but I can not respect anyone who would blame an inanimate object for their own poor choices.

I get your feelings on accepting personal responsibility. You probably couldn't find someone who agrees with you more on the need for accepting personal responsibility, I guess I just didn't see too many places in this thread where people were shirking their responsibility. OP said she had a problem with sugar. No matter how we feel about it, it's a very real problem for her. She acknowledged the problem and asked for suggestions to help her overcome it. Is she addicted, does she have a compulsion to eat chocolate or is she just overstating the problem? We don't really know, but I don't see where she didn't accept personal responsibility for her problem and we don't have the right to tell her that her feelings on the matter are wrong or that she's just acting like a child or that she's just making excuses. We can try to offer solutions to help her overcome what is a very real problem to her - anything else really isn't helpful, even if we back it up by saying we're just being honest or telling the truth. Telling someone who already feels bad about their situation that they are wrong or lazy or anything else generally is not going to help them. Life isn't all sunshine and rainbows and all that other crap, but we don't have to be demeaning in how we communicate things.

Accepting personal responsibility vs. shifting blame is irrespective of the difference between behavioral disorders and addiction to drugs, which is actually what I was responding to.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    So you're talking about getting fructose "totally out of your system"? Is that right?

BTW, you'd do well to just about triple your protein intake if you want to lose fat mass instead of lean mass.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24092765
    http://www.jissn.com/content/3/1/7

Did I miss where she's a resistance trained athlete? Not to mention, reduced protein intake doesn't cause lean mass loss instead of fat loss; it just leads to lean mass loss in addition to fat loss. For someone not doing resistance training, 0.6g/lb of LBM is adequate protein. Triple her protein intake... you really think she needs to be eating 200g of protein a day? What kind of advice is that?

Edit: Typo
    Based on her average protein intake over the last month, I think double would just about cover it. It's possible that sampling error led to the "triple" number.

I'm just going by where her goal is set, but for someone whose "resistance training" consists of a bit of yoga, you really don't need to consume protein like a powerlifter or a resistance trained athlete (which those studies focus on). At 0.6g/lb of LBM, we're talking about 70-80g being adequate protein. Would 150g hurt? I highly doubt it. But is it beneficial or would eating less cause her to lose muscle *instead* of fat? I'm thinking the answer there is a big no. Even doubling her intake (using her set goal) would put her beyond the limit at which protein intake is likely to make any difference in her body composition and tripling it would put her into ridiculous levels of protein.

Either way, I do agree that someone consuming protein powder is fine and not really something to criticize in their food diary (not that I go around criticizing people's food diaries in the first place). If they're consuming 8 scoops a day, then maybe you could say that's whey too much brotein, but what's the harm in a bit of protein powder?

Now I feel bad for getting so bent out of shape...sorry to everyone! I've got no issues with protein powders or supplementing unless it's excessive...and even then we all do what we need to do to get by. I should not be so judgemental! Sometimes I forget that not everyone thinks about food in political and social terms the same what I do...and certainly I know we will not always agree on everthing and that's just fine.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Sugar is in almost everything processed including savory foods so it's a challenge to get it totally out of your system.

You can't get sugar totally out of your system. The human body manufactures sugar. It has a number of highly complex, sensitive systems in place to maintain sugar levels in the blood. If you got sugar totally out of your system, you would die instantly because your cells would starve.

I knew you would be trolling this thread...once again I am not talking about limiting anything but fructose...glucose, lactose, no limiting. You need sugar to live and your brain runs best on glucose. I am talking about reducing the fructose. BTW I opened my diary so if you want to take a peek you can have a look. I looked at yours, you are basically just keeping fast food and supplement companies in business. If your diet was so perfect you wouldn't have to supplement it with protein powders.

So you're talking about getting fructose "totally out of your system"? Is that right?

BTW, you'd do well to just about triple your protein intake if you want to lose fat mass instead of lean mass.

I want to appologize, my arrogant remarks about your diary were totally uncalled for! :flowerforyou:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Sugar is in almost everything processed including savory foods so it's a challenge to get it totally out of your system.

You can't get sugar totally out of your system. The human body manufactures sugar. It has a number of highly complex, sensitive systems in place to maintain sugar levels in the blood. If you got sugar totally out of your system, you would die instantly because your cells would starve.

I knew you would be trolling this thread...once again I am not talking about limiting anything but fructose...glucose, lactose, no limiting. You need sugar to live and your brain runs best on glucose. I am talking about reducing the fructose. BTW I opened my diary so if you want to take a peek you can have a look. I looked at yours, you are basically just keeping fast food and supplement companies in business. If your diet was so perfect you wouldn't have to supplement it with protein powders.

I want to appologize, my arrogant remarks about your diary were totally uncalled for! :flowerforyou:

Thank you.

I'm still curious about the actual question you responded to by invoking my diary, though. What were you referring to getting "totally out of your system"?
  • jeeplovin
    jeeplovin Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with sugar esp. chocolate. I can wolf down 4 double fudge chocolate donuts in a heart beat. Try a Quest bar. They have excellent macros, are under 200 calories, and will kill a sugar craving in an instant. The choc. chip cookie dough is awesome. One bar and a bottle of water, and I was full for hours, with no cravings the rest of the day. They are expensive, although cheaper if you order them online.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Now I feel bad for getting so bent out of shape...sorry to everyone! I've got no issues with protein powders or supplementing unless it's excessive...and even then we all do what we need to do to get by. I should not be so judgemental! Sometimes I forget that not everyone thinks about food in political and social terms the same what I do...and certainly I know we will not always agree on everthing and that's just fine.
    I don't know if you had other yoga practice today, but it looks like you're getting some good practice in on this thread, and I don't mean the "getting bent out of shape part". Life is a lesson imperfectly learned. :smile: (And I hope you won't find it corny if I come back to add "Namaste".)
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you had other yoga practice today, but it looks like you're getting some good practice in on this thread, and I don't mean the "getting bent out of shape part". Life is a lesson imperfectly learned. :smile: (And I hope you won't find it corny if I come back to add "Namaste".)
    Wow! Are these really tears welling up in my eyes? Nice going! I love it when we can get to this meeting of the hearts! :heart:
  • Catflower6
    Catflower6 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hello, I can completely identify with you. I'm a PT and train quite heavily including lots of cardio, also done long distance running in the past. Teach spinning blah blah. However I AM addicted to simple sugars, the not so good ones. I've gained weight from bingeing in the the last year despite all the exercise. I know a lot about addiction as have been in recovery from alcohol for 20 years(yay). Unfortunately processed foods contain lots of sugar in varying forms. For me this is the only way , HOWEVER the cravings are the worst, unlike some addictions, food is everywhere. I have a diploma in nutrition, but it doesn't stop me craving. If only!!!! I've gone for long periods with no processed foods including being totally simple sugar free and yes I lost all my extra fat. Life IS not always that simple though and being caught up in this chocolate, cookie, and all things sugary is hell when it causes so much weight gain. Some Saints of course can get along just fine without it, I'm not in that high deity just yet but aiming to get there. AGAIN. Some of us need more support eliminating these things. I do , that's why all my glorious qualifications don't make me good at being perfect. Please don't tell me I'm a failure...... Or am I???? Hope you get it sorted ????????????????????????????????
  • Catflower6
    Catflower6 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Good
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Hello, I can completely identify with you. I'm a PT and train quite heavily including lots of cardio, also done long distance running in the past. Teach spinning blah blah. However I AM addicted to simple sugars, the not so good ones. I've gained weight from bingeing in the the last year despite all the exercise. I know a lot about addiction as have been in recovery from alcohol for 20 years(yay). Unfortunately processed foods contain lots of sugar in varying forms. For me this is the only way , HOWEVER the cravings are the worst, unlike some addictions, food is everywhere. I have a diploma in nutrition, but it doesn't stop me craving. If only!!!! I've gone for long periods with no processed foods including being totally simple sugar free and yes I lost all my extra fat. Life IS not always that simple though and being caught up in this chocolate, cookie, and all things sugary is hell when it causes so much weight gain. Some Saints of course can get along just fine without it, I'm not in that high deity just yet but aiming to get there. AGAIN. Some of us need more support eliminating these things. I do , that's why all my glorious qualifications don't make me good at being perfect. Please don't tell me I'm a failure...... Or am I???? Hope you get it sorted ????????????????????????????????
    Sugar isn't an addiction. Can you moderately drink alcohol and not submit to being an alcoholic again?
    Sugar is highly palatable. That's why it's hard for many to give up. Since the body operates on sugars (even abstaining from them completely, the body still converts protein and fat to glucose), one "moderately" has "sugar" in their body pretty much all the time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't an addiction. Can you moderately drink alcohol and not submit to being an alcoholic again?
    Sugar is highly palatable. That's why it's hard for many to give up. Since the body operates on sugars (even abstaining from them completely, the body still converts protein and fat to glucose), one "moderately" has "sugar" in their body pretty much all the time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Yeah, and all those moral judgments about food probably aren't doing her clients any good either.

I :heart: my trainer's email signature, which succinctly sums up why he and I are a perfect fit: "PS I like to deadlift and eat"! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Auzziedoggie
    Auzziedoggie Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I treat sugar like an addictive substance and it is the only way I've managed to reduce cravings. I'm almost certain I will be able to enjoy sugar/fat like a normal person very soon. I simply don't need as much as I used to.

And yes, we need sugar to live. We do not need chocolate to live, or cake, or cookies or bon bons. So no, "needing sugar to live" is not a good defense to continue eating sweets. Some people can moderate their sweets intake like they might with wine. Others can't, and should not be encouraged to eat them if they have a problem with it.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I treat sugar like an addictive substance and it is the only way I've managed to reduce cravings. I'm almost certain I will be able to enjoy sugar/fat like a normal person very soon. I simply don't need as much as I used to.

And yes, we need sugar to live. We do not need chocolate to live, or cake, or cookies or bon bons. So no, "needing sugar to live" is not a good defense to continue eating sweets. Some people can moderate their sweets intake like they might with wine. Others can't, and should not be encouraged to eat them if they have a problem with it.

Life without chocolate is not a life worth living.
  • Auzziedoggie
    Auzziedoggie Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Who is advocating a life without chocolate? Not me.

That is why I ordered chocolate from Finland that is $18 per bar and won't arrive for a month. Quality > quantity.

Since my cravings have reduced substantially, I won't eat all 200 grams in one day like I used to.

What I am saying is this: taking a month of chocolate isn't the end of the world.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Who is advocating a life without chocolate? Not me.

That is why I ordered chocolate from Finland that is $18 per bar and won't arrive for a month. Quality > quantity.

Since my cravings have reduced substantially, I won't eat all 200 grams in one day like I used to.

What I am saying is this: taking a month of chocolate isn't the end of the world.

We do not need chocolate to live

What would be the point of not eating it for just one month? That makes no sense. It sounds like a sucky month to me.