Men on a Mission - Over 250, Looking to Drop 50

Options
Hello all,
I'm pretty new to this support group system and decided that I would try it out. It would be helpful to share my progress with others and also to be motivated by others' progress. Here is the plan:

On a weekly basis (send stats Sunday), update the group. I will put it into a chart and repost the details. Post the following details (here are mine):

Current weight: 260lbs
Goal weight: 215lbs
Method: Walking, eating less - lose 2lbs/week

Let's do this!

Replies

• Tiny911
    Options
    Same here with almost identical stats 261 trying to get down to 210. was up over 420 at one point got down to 214 (gastric bypass) bounced to 230, kept in that range for 3 years, then a year of unemployment followed by a job where they had a pot luck every week and I was back up over 270. It's going to be a haul to get back down, but I'm determined to make it and stay there this time. Best of luck to you in the new year.
  • spinndrift
    Options
    Well I'm currently 257lbs which is 8lbs less then when I started with MFP at the end of November.

Goal weight is 189lbs

Method - good diet, gym and cycling.
  • apolloag
    apolloag Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    bumping to the top
  • apolloag
    Options
    Alright! We have 3 so far (including me) - anyone else? We start on Sunday!
  • apolloag
    Options
    Any other men interested??
  • Jerrytcher
    Options
    I want to play!

CW - 251
    GW - 195
  • apolloag
    Options
    For men over 250, Please enter your stats today!
  • apolloag
    Options
    For men over 250, Please enter your stats today!
  • PaulC9554
    PaulC9554 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Another one here:
    Start weight 151kg (332lbs)
    Aim to lose 1kg a week - might this be a bit optimistic?
    Counting the calories and getting back to the gym
  • apolloag
    Options
    Anyone else?? Come on guys!!
  • jaskelley
    jaskelley Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm in, if you'll take a guy that just this week dipped under 250. :D

SW: 248 (as of 1/2/2011)
    GW: 200
  • apolloag
    Options
    Jaskelly, you are welcome to join us. I will add you to the lineup! Any other men close to 250 are welcome to join as well.

A question: would you all rather post this via the forum? Or communicate by e-mail?
  • 5oh9
    5oh9 Posts: 13
    Options
    I'd like to join. Current weight is 270. My goal is 225.
    My plan is to build muscle and shed fat. From my past experience: when I'm lifting heavy, I tend to burn more calories in a day. I've started back at the gym on Jan 1st.
  • apolloag
    Options
    Let the fun begin!

Rank Username First Name SW GW CW LWW WD Left to Go % of Goal
    1 apolloag Adrian 261.8 210 261.8 51.8 0
    1 thadius ? 261 210 261 51 0
    1 spinndrift ? 257 189 257 68 0
    1 Jerrytcher Jerry 251 195 251 56 0
    1 PaulC9554 Paul 332 ? 332 ? ?
    1 jaskelley ? 248 200 248 48 0
    1 5oh9 ? 270 225 270 45 0

SW Starting Weight (January 2, 2011)
    GW Goal Weight
    GD Goal Date
    CW Current Weight
    LWW Last Week's Weight
    WD Week to Week Difference
  • apolloag
    Options
    Hmm... I'm going to have to find a better way to post this.
  • 5oh9
    Options
    Men, make sure you bookmark this thread before it's lost in the busy forum. It'll be much easier finding this thread and reporting your latest stats.

apolloag, thanks for showing the initiative to collect the information. My starting weight was 270, by the way.

Back from the gym and now at work. The post-workout high is euphoria.
  • tllstaco
    tllstaco Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I started trying to lose weight a few months back. Lost 12 lbs and then got sick, and holidays, and gained all but a pound back. So I am recommitting myself.

SW: 289
    Goal to lose 2 lbs/week and burn at least 630 calories a week by excercising.

Bought an elliptical trainer and have worked out on it 5 out of the last 7 days. Not as out of breath as I was when I started and have started increasing the time on the trainer by a minute each day.
  • 5oh9
    Options
    Bought an elliptical trainer and have worked out on it 5 out of the last 7 days. Not as out of breath as I was when I started and have started increasing the time on the trainer by a minute each day.

This is awesome. 9 years ago in college, I was doing the stair stepper. I started out at 10 minutes, increased the time every time, and eventually the difficulty level, ended up doing 45 minute sessions which burned almost 800 calories each time. I lost over 40 pounds in about 3 months.
  • apolloag
    Options
    I used to be at 300 two years ago. A lot of walking and eating less got me down to 260. Now I need to keep it up! I love the elliptical. It keeps you working hard, but is so low impact - doesn't kill your knees and ankles.
  • tllstaco
    tllstaco Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My knees are pretty well trashed so I need low impact excercise. I have had 3 knee surgeries, only have half of the cartilege in my left knee and had a ACL repair in might right year a few years back. :-)

Did 16 minutes on the elliptical today running the first program that simulates 4 hills. Averaged 5.8mph over the course and did about 1.5 miles or so. 215 calories burned.