Weird phobias.

Options

Replies

• fast_stacie
    fast_stacie Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Dill Pickles. Dill of any kind. I make sure in restaurants to be sure to tell them "NO PICKLE." I grocery stores I have to avoid looking at them because they gross me out. The smell and look of them is revolting.

Strangely, I love sweet pickles, so it isn't pickles in general.

I once ordered mashed potatoes and they had dill mashed into them. I just about had a fit in the restaurant. Who the hell puts dill in mashed potatoes and doesn't say so in the menu. *shudders*
  • SuperHero_Girl
    SuperHero_Girl Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm scared of bridges that go over water...I don't even know why

Same here, but it's specific to grated bridges where I can see the water below me. I can swim just fine, but the fall is what makes me nervous.
    I can usually suck it up and get past anything if I need to. However, here are a few things that I have irrational fears about.

I use to have an irrational fear of walking by the street sewer drains like these.
    StormDrain.embed.jpg
    I was scared that I would slip, my leg would go in the thing and break or that something would jump out at me from one of them. Pretty sure that fear developed when I had to walk by three of them on the way to my bus stop and there was no sidewalk to walk on. I'm cool with them now but for years I wouldn't go near them at all.

Did you ever see Stephen King's "It" by any chance? That would be an absolute legitimate basis to this fear.
    I am also not very fond of walking on these things.
    nyc_2397.jpg
    I always feel like the thing is going to break and cause me to fall into the pit of dooooooooom.

I feel the same about these.

I'm actually diagnosed with emetophobia, or fear of vomiting. I'm fearful of both vomiting myself or witnessing/hearing someone else vomit. I can handle animal and cartoon vomit or obviously fake vomit scenes, (like the one in Scary Movie where they Parody "The Exorcist"). I personally haven't vomited since December 27, 1997 when I had a vicious stomach bug that eventually resulted in a lot of dry heaving - I was in a constant state of panic. I spent years refusing to ever eat oatmeal again because it was the last thing I had eaten before the bug hit me. While no one particularly enjoys vomiting, I wouldn't wish this phobia on anyone because it creates a lot of extra anxieties.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Extreme phobia to treadmills, all I picture is flying backwards and busting my chin on the darn thing, actually makes me cringe typing this.
  • dooniez
    dooniez Posts: 48
    Options
    Robots, spiders and hanging my hand off the side of bed. That one robot spider might attack my fingers
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Narrow swing bridges, holes that have stuff in them (e.g. Surinam toad, bugs crawling into your ear, bot fly larvae, ingrown hairs, etc), the thought of being pregnant (birth and babies are not scary just the idea of something growing inside me, like an ever-expanding pimple that you can't pop), swimming in murky water where you can't see the bottom, ummm and probably others I can't think of right now. Those are the main things *shudder*
  • salvationsdying
    salvationsdying Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Getting on an escalator. I have to build up my courage to step on. Down is much worse than up, but I'm white knuckled holding on the rail the entire time. I'd much rather take the stairs (which I do, if it's an option).

When I was a kid I watched one of those rescue 911 shows and a kid got stuck in one by a untired shoe string. And after that I would freak out. My mom said one time I laid on the floor in the mall and screamed. I wouldn't even let her carry me up it. Still to this day it freaks me out. It was embarrassing when I was like 15 we went to the rock hall as a special field trip with my writing group and they have escalators and I had a damn panic attack before I got on it. Was almost in tears on it.
  • salvationsdying
    salvationsdying Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    1344094_OGODmytrypophobia_82926448a59cf8a13755a226e2f6acf6_jpg96b161b471870a4af81552d3d83251fd

This. I have a fear of honeycombs, to the point where I would not buy the new version of mini van that I own, because it had a honeycomb grill. Also tripe freaks me out, fish skin and pores.

Shudder!

What in the hell is that? Omg that's freaking weird and is creeping me out big time
  • laurajane19901
    Options
    1344094_OGODmytrypophobia_82926448a59cf8a13755a226e2f6acf6_jpg96b161b471870a4af81552d3d83251fd

This. I have a fear of honeycombs, to the point where I would not buy the new version of mini van that I own, because it had a honeycomb grill. Also tripe freaks me out, fish skin and pores.

Shudder!

I'm exactly the same. Stuff like this makes me feel queasy.
  • sheisjames
    sheisjames Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    pencils without erasers. don't ever want to see them... lord help all around me if I accidently grab one.
  • raneylfrick
    raneylfrick Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have a fear of driving by guard rails...I always imaging my teeth dragging across it and nicking a root. I also have a strange fear of paper cutting my nipple.....

Not sure where either of those fears came from, but they both give me the shudders!
  • HipsterWhovian
    HipsterWhovian Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Trypophobia is horrible and disgusting and yet I can't help but google it for the lovely disturbing pictures...

But clowns should not be allowed ever at all nope.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options

Shudder!

Getting all itchy looking at this...
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I am scared sh**less of balloons.
    I hate being in vehicles.

Hubby is scared of cattle.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    the thought of being pregnant (birth and babies are not scary just the idea of something growing inside me, like an ever-expanding pimple that you can't pop),

Yey, I am not alone! (tho I can't stand it coming out either or being all tiny and scary)
  • Spewze72
    Spewze72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    SuperHero-Girl and I are the same...I am also diagnosed with Emetophobia (fear of both myself and other people vomiting - some phobics only have one type). I take medication for it, otherwise I'd never even go out. :)

Phobias of the non-clinical type - wind turbines. And Maybugs. *scream*
  • elusive_design
    elusive_design Posts: 1,095 Member
    Options
    Teddy Bears... really dolls of any sort are the creepiest freaking thing ever.. with their beady black eyes and scruffy little selves....
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options

Shudder!

I have the same phobia, and oh GOD that photo. Glad to see I'm not alone, though.
  • rheannaraye
    rheannaraye Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Feet. :sick:

I had a boyfriend who had a tickling/foot fetish. He'd ask all the time what color socks I was wearing and wanted to try to tickle me in different colored socks..... I can't look at feet- whether mine or someone else's. Forget foot rubs. I'm pretty sure I'd vomit.
  • jenschroll
    jenschroll Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Flying in a plane over a large body of water. My reason being if the plane crashed and I survived that, I could still drown. :noway:
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Holes and bumpy textures. Like honeycomb (yeek), or cauliflower (aaaaugh) or my worst nightmare ever: The Surignam Toad. The mother toad pushes her fertilized eggs into the skin of her back, which becomes (urk) spongy to accept them and then the babies HATCH OUT OF THE HOLES SHE MADE and ever since I saw a film of that I am damaged goods.

YERRRRGH. I remember seeing a film of this once, and I couldn't sleep for DAYS. Arggghhhh my stupid brain.