Why do people seem to bash "healthy"eating?

Options

Replies

• jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    No one is bashing healthy eating. What's mainly being said is moderation, stay away from extremes. Processed foods are not what made us obese, over consumption is. But it's when people are going to the extreme and saying don't eat anything that has more than 5 ingredients or comes in a box.... that sets people up for failure.

I love to cook and bake, but there's also times I want McDonalds or something else, I just make it fit into my day. I try to follow an 80/20 rule... 80% good choices the other 20% I don't worry about, it's what has made this sustainable and much more enjoyable.

Plus everyone's at different levels and has different goals, when I started the only thing that mattered to me was losing the weight, so all I cared about was the amount of calories I was consuming, now that I've changed my goals to more fitness related I've changed what I track to reach those goals.

And now I need more coffee because there's way too much blood in my caffeine stream to think clearly
    This. The obesity problem has nothing to do with processed foods. We've been eating processed foods in the US in large quantities since around WWII. The biggest cause of the obesity problem is the fact that everyone works in an office now. People aren't active anymore. As human beings, we've been engineering and designing foods to be palatable for thousands of years, modern day food companies aren't doing anything different.

I don't believe the biggest cause of obesity is the fact that everyone works in an office now. Obesity is a widespread problem affecting all walks of life, not just those working in an office. There are many, many examples of lean, fit office workers. Obesity is in part due to the fact that never before in history have we been surrounded by this abundance of food so availability contributes to obesity but it is not the sole cause. The bottom line is, a person does not get to the obese state without over eating. Lack of activity just helps them get there faster.
  • jbugiel
    jbugiel Posts: 59 Member
    Options

This. The obesity problem has nothing to do with processed foods. We've been eating processed foods in the US in large quantities since around WWII. The biggest cause of the obesity problem is the fact that everyone works in an office now. People aren't active anymore. As human beings, we've been engineering and designing foods to be palatable for thousands of years, modern day food companies aren't doing anything different.

I don't agree with that at all. Processed foods have a real way of assisting our "getting fat" process. It takes way more effort for our bodies to process and use foods that are processed and full of chemicals to "preserve" it to get it in stores and get it to us without rotting, molding, spoiling, etc. And fast food is horrific for us, but unfortunately we've become dependent as a nation on taking the easier faster route to get food than going out and picking the proper foods for our bodies and actually going home and cooking them. Myself included, I'm not bashing others without including myself. Oh, we're in a hurry cuz we have to get to a movie or need to run our kids to an event, etc., just stop at McDonalds, Burger king, wendy's, arbys, subway, dominos, pizza hut, taco bell, sonic, little ceasar's, or tasty freeze... those are just the fast food places in the city I live in btw, there are many more out there. We're making it hard on our body to process preservative chemicals and additives that food manufacturers know are not good for us, and eventually, it causes your cells to "malfunction" and work less and less efficient until it too late. Then you get things like diabetes and other nutritionally induced medical issues from your body "giving up". I'd love to say this is just my opinion, and it is an opinion of mine, but you can consult many many doctors who specialize in these diseases and medical issues that will tell you that diets of these types of foods directly affect your body's ability to function properly.

Anyway, I don't eat "clean" as I'd like, but I am working my way to it, each day and week I get better and better at it, and I wish more people would.

Side note and food for thought: the federal government recently approved ketchup as an acceptable vegetable for our school children's lunches. Processed tomatoes, sugars and preservatives all squirt into a bottle is not a "vegetable"... what is the world coming to, geez.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options

My continued use of the word uppity?

I used it once.

Ah yes, you're right. I was losing track of the ad hominem attacks. My bad.

(However, "uppity" is a really poor word choice, especially here in the Deep South.)

Edited to fix code.

I am not in the Deep South nor in USA at all.

Here in Australia, uppity just means on your high horse, nit picky, self righteous, condescending,that sort of thing.

Which I thought you were being to PP.

I am not sure what else the word means but that is what I meant.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

I don't agree with that at all. Processed foods have a real way of assisting our "getting fat" process. It takes way more effort for our bodies to process and use foods that are processed and full of chemicals to "preserve" it to get it in stores and get it to us without rotting, molding, spoiling, etc. And fast food is horrific for us, but unfortunately we've become dependent as a nation on taking the easier faster route to get food than going out and picking the proper foods for our bodies and actually going home and cooking them. Myself included, I'm not bashing others without including myself. Oh, we're in a hurry cuz we have to get to a movie or need to run our kids to an event, etc., just stop at McDonalds, Burger king, wendy's, arbys, subway, dominos, pizza hut, taco bell, sonic, little ceasar's, or tasty freeze... those are just the fast food places in the city I live in btw, there are many more out there. We're making it hard on our body to process preservative chemicals and additives that food manufacturers know are not good for us, and eventually, it causes your cells to "malfunction" and work less and less efficient until it too late. Then you get things like diabetes and other nutritionally induced medical issues from your body "giving up". I'd love to say this is just my opinion, and it is an opinion of mine, but you can consult many many doctors who specialize in these diseases and medical issues that will tell you that diets of these types of foods directly affect your body's ability to function properly.

Anyway, I don't eat "clean" as I'd like, but I am working my way to it, each day and week I get better and better at it, and I wish more people would.

Side note and food for thought: the federal government recently approved ketchup as an acceptable vegetable for our school children's lunches. Processed tomatoes, sugars and preservatives all squirt into a bottle is not a "vegetable"... what is the world coming to, geez.

No. Just no.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Again, confusing the effects of "these kinds of foods" with "way too damn much of it".
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options

I used it once.

(However, "uppity" is a really poor word choice, especially here in the Deep South.)

Edited to fix code.

Here in Australia, uppity just means on your high horse, nit picky, self righteous, condescending,that sort of thing.

There's a strong connection between the word "uppity" and racism here in the U.S., especially here in the Deep South. Maybe it would be better if you just made your arguments instead of making judgments and calling names. Then you could get your point across more effectively.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I agree with this.

People are free to eat what they want, but some seem to not realize that obesity/weight gain is ONE side effect from unhealthy eating, but far from all.

If you don't care about your general health but merely want to look better, then sure, it's fine to eat junk in limited amounts and lose.

The reality is that the US as a nation is overfed and undernourished. The ready made bread contains so much gluten it is ruining people's digestive systems. When they tested the spices that come with noodles on rats, they found it kills brain cells. If people knew what they were actually eating, I'm sure a lot more would stop. Don't get me started on sugar.

Cancers, asthma, eczema, digestive problems, skin problems, fertility issues plus much more - this is diet related stuff.
    As Jamie Oliver says in his TED talk - Americans have blessed their children with a shorter life span than themselves. I don't care if some want to kill themselves by eating crap, but when giving it to their children, it pisses me off.

(And yes I know this goes for other countries too, but the US is the far worst).
    None of those health problems are new. They've all been around for thousands of years. As we live longer, and our population skyrockets, obviously we see them in more people. It's got nothing to do with the food, and everything to do with our extremely sedentary lifestyle.

On a side note, the US is not the fattest country in the world. Mexico is as of 2013.
  • chloematilds
    chloematilds Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    lol, made.my day

iy.is easy to blame.companies.to producing food than taking personal responsibility for.overeating.these.food. I love mangoes and if I get fat by eating mangoes, it must be the fault of.mother nature or.the mango tree.for the.ridiculously addictive.taste of mango

while I have.not been overweight yet, I did gain a fee.lbs.when I moved.to the us five yrs ago because I was so.elated.that calorir.dense food like cakes, cookies and.chocolates were ridiculously affordable...so I kinda overate...

damn, its all the fault.of these.food makers and the food.themselves -- NOT

when the clothes started.to feel snug and some.even wont get past my thighs, I knee I.need.to.do.something!

first, admit.that it is.your fault that you overate. second, educste.yourself.of the.proper way to lose.weight

so far, I now fit.again on most of my.clothes. and I still eat cookies, cakes, ice creams. I have just been more active and mindful compared to five years.ago
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

So much un scientific nonsense in one post who would have thought it possible. I'd love to know what is meant by 'causing your cells to malfunction'. What cells, How do they malfunction and what specific additives are making them malfunction?
  • cassie4animals
    cassie4animals Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The health industry is a minefield of varying opinions. Some people thing being vegan is the only way to be healthy, some people think you'll die without meat, some people think calories in vs calories out is all that matters, other people think WHAT you eat is the most important thing. And there is research backing all these different claims!

I think what's important is to find what works best for you and stick with it. If something isn't working, maybe look at different view points and try something new.

To give you a example, 1 doctor told me I should use adipex and he explained the benefits of doing so, and then another doctor completely slammed the idea of adipex and told me how unhealthy it was. 2 doctors - 2 opinions. Right now I'm going without adipex but if I find that doesn't work for me, maybe I'll revisit doctor number 1. :) I listened to both opinions and now I'm going to find out what's best for me.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    No one is bashing healthy eating. What's mainly being said is moderation, stay away from extremes. Processed foods are not what made us obese, over consumption is. But it's when people are going to the extreme and saying don't eat anything that has more than 5 ingredients or comes in a box.... that sets people up for failure.

This.
    +2
  • chloematilds
    chloematilds Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    it's actually some.of the smaller.pacific nations that most of us never heard of. I think Nauru has about 90% obesity rate
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options

I used it once.

Edited to fix code.

There's a strong connection between the word "uppity" and racism here in the U.S., especially here in the Deep South. Maybe it would be better if you just made your arguments instead of making judgments and calling names. Then you could get your point across more effectively.

Born and bred Texan here. If I were any more Southern I'd be drowning in the Gulf of Mexico. This is just nonsense. There is no connection between racism and the word uppity. You just don't take kindly to being called out for your uppity attitude.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options

I used it once.

Edited to fix code.

There isn't such an association here and I didn't know that and that wasn't what I meant by the word, as I explained.
    My use of the word was describing your attitude to PP. It was not a connection to racism at all.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Healthy eating IS bashed on here. There is no doubt of that. As to why? I'm not sure.
    I know when some folks here try to explain *why* someone (like me) aims to eat healthy, the reasons they come up with are absurd. I'll assume my reasons for their behaviors would be equally absurd.

But yes, healthy eating is openly mocked and bashed on here. Moderation (whatever folks mean by that) is the motto of mfp. No one defines it, but it's shouted from the roof tops. If you say "just eat healthy", you'll be hen pecked by folks demanding you define and defend that proclamation.

Fortunately, there are many GROUPS here where posters discuss the best ways to eat a nutritious diet and lose or maintain their weight.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options

Born and bred Texan here. If I were any more Southern I'd be drowning in the Gulf of Mexico. This is just nonsense. There is no connection between racism and the word uppity. You just don't take kindly to being called out for your uppity attitude.

So, when did this thread become about me and my attitude? There are lots of people here with equally strong opinions.

However . . .

Texas is not "Deep South." Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alabama--and to some extent Georgia--are Deep South. I dare you to go out on my town's main street and accuse someone of being "uppity," with or without a racial epithet. Follow it up with a statement that includes, "you people." You'll be seeing out of one eye pretty quickly.

Texas is essentially a Western state and is pretty much large enough to span a couple of regions on its own. However, it is not and never has been included in the Deep South.
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options

So, when did this thread become about me and my attitude? There are lots of people here with equally strong opinions.

However . . .

Texas is not "Deep South." Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alabama--and to some extent Georgia--are Deep South. I dare you to go out on my town's main street and accuse someone of being "uppity," with or without a racial epithet. Follow it up with a statement that includes, "you people." You'll be seeing out of one eye pretty quickly.

Texas is essentially a Western state and is pretty much large enough to span a couple of regions on its own. However, it is not and never has been included in the Deep South.

You're funny. Possibly delusional and quite misinformed, but funny.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Pre-packed or packaged food that has low nutritional value - compared to calorie cost.
    So, a burger in bread with some sauce and salad is considerably less 'junk' than olive oil, say?

Your definition isn't really congruent with what most people believe.

I still think term, just as with 'garbage', crap' and 'not real food' is still a bad choice of words and a basically 'unhealthy' concept.

I didn't come up with the definition, that was the Oxford English Dictionary - I just happen to agree with it.

I set my own criteria for what I consider junk food (under that definition) and use the work accordingly.