Subway!!!

Options
What are some good HEALTHY sandwich ideas?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Go for a 6 inch. Turkey, chicken, ham. No cheese. As much salad as you like. Choose your dressing carefully- I like sweet onion, but only a drizzle.

But really, what do you mean by healthy?
  • Dalton1720
    Dalton1720 Posts: 104
    Options
    I've been working at Subway to get through college for the last 4 months and caught some interesting facts about their food that might surprise you!

The highest calorie bread is the 9 grain Honey Oat. Yes! Its also the highest in sugar which you could imagine.
    The american cheese has the least amount of calories.
    All the meat, cheese, and pickled vegetables are heavily processed so subway isn't always the most ideal "healthy meal", although its better than a lot of places.
    The tuna is made with a HUGE amount of regular mayo! I would defiantly stay clear of that.
    Every subway has a nutritional facts menu so pick one up and take a peep. You might be surprised to find out how many calories can actually be in a seemingly healthy sub.

If I was to recommend a meal it would defiently be the chopped salad with turkey, ham, chicken, or just the veggies. You can choose your desired vegetables and stay away from the high carbs plus most of the dressings are custom made for subway to be less fat/calories.
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    And deffinatly don't have the cookies hahaha
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    *definitely

Anyway, the sandwiches aren't that high in calories, they're all somewhere along 500-600 calories for the 6' ones (that is without cheese or sauce though). So with everything it should be around 800-ish. The chicken ones have good amounts of protein too so chicken fajita or teriyaki make a good meal. Now I'm hungry.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    *definitely

Anyway, the sandwiches aren't that high in calories, they're all somewhere along 500-600 calories for the 6' ones (that is without cheese or sauce though). So with everything it should be around 800-ish. The chicken ones have good amounts of protein too so chicken fajita or teriyaki make a good meal. Now I'm hungry.

800 calories! Wow I don't think I would ever have a Subway again if my favourite was that much!

I usually have a 6 inch Hearty Italian with Chicken and a little Honey Mustard sauce. Just 384 calories.

Lots of Sodium in the Subways but what the heck
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    define "HEALTHY"!?
  • abadvat
    Options

why not?
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    As above, 'food' is healthy if it meets your needs.

Sometimes I will go for one of the <300 calorie options.

Or maybe if I want to hit protein goals, I'll go for a double steak and cheese.

Or, if I've got a load of calories and want to get some fuel in, a foot-long with loads of sauce.
  • Wonderob
    Options

why not?

220 calories each and you need to have two, one just isn't enough. And you get 3 for the price of 2 so there's 660 calories before you know it!
  • abadvat
    Options

why not?

220 calories each and you need to have two, one just isn't enough. And you get 3 for the price of 2 so there's 660 calories before you know it!

still not answering my question... why not?
  • stevencloser
    Options
    *definitely

800 calories! Wow I don't think I would ever have a Subway again if my favourite was that much!

I usually have a 6 inch Hearty Italian with Chicken and a little Honey Mustard sauce. Just 384 calories.

Oh sorry that was for 12'' actually not 6. I misremembered. So half those and you got the 400 ish.
  • Wonderob
    Options

why not?

You're right 'why not'
    In fact, why not have that McDonalds for lunch that I wanted, or the chocolates I was going to eat whilst watching the film. And the pizza, and fries, and cheese and fizzy drinks and hotdogs..
  • Wonderob
    Options
    *definitely

Oh sorry that was for 12'' actually not 6. I misremembered. So half those and you got the 400 ish.

Yeah that sounds better, decent quick meal with plenty of protein for 400 calories isn't too bad is it
  • stevencloser
    Options
    I don't like slippery slope arguments.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I recently found out that a 6 inch roast chicken sub with wheat bread has less calories and carbs than a roast chicken chicken wrap :| which has been my standard Subway order for the last 5 years lol. (Thats without cheese btw) And it's less than 300 calories, but in Australia* not sure how your Subway would compare.

When logging I would recommend checking any of the Myfitnesspal subway entries up against the nutritional info on the Subway website as well, as I noticed some are quite off.
  • achagrius
    achagrius Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I always use the nutrition data from their website.

http://www.subway.com/Nutrition/Files/NutritionValues.pdf

I've created a spreadsheet with my fav ingredients and I use that to make different combinations to make a sandwich that fits my goals for a particular day. Can't really use the subway entries in MFP database because they could be calculated with different ingredients and are way off from what you choose most of the times.
  • abadvat
    Options

why not?

You're right 'why not'
    In fact, why not have that McDonalds for lunch that I wanted, or the chocolates I was going to eat whilst watching the film. And the pizza, and fries, and cheese and fizzy drinks and hotdogs..

220 calories = 10 gr of fat, 30 gr of carbs and 2 of protein, portion of 2 or portion of 3 will increase calories of your meal and all it will do is deducting calories from your daily requirements.
    As long as you know what you eat and possibly when you eat it compared to the time of the day or schedule you have, there is absolutely no need to restrict to meals or food that are labeled by someone else beside you as "healthy" or "good for you".

Agreeable that if on a low daily caloric expenditure a couple of cookies might cut you short for the rest of the day but that's all there is to it in my opinion.

With those macros 2 cookies are actually spot on a pre-workout just a bit short of protein which however can be very well supplemented if need be.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    You're right 'why not'
    Yes, why not, exactly?

I manage to eat all of those sorts of things fairly regularly and still meet my health and weight goals.

So why not?

;)

Oh and yes - wraps may LOOK small, but often 'real bread' is better.

Incidentally, I've never done it but apparently if you ask they'll scoop out the bread in the centre of the sub to reduce calories further.
  • Wonderob
    Options

why not?

You're right 'why not'

220 calories = 10 gr of fat, 30 gr of carbs and 2 of protein, portion of 2 or portion of 3 will increase calories of your meal and all it will do is deducting calories from your daily requirements.
    As long as you know what you eat and possibly when you eat it compared to the time of the day or schedule you have, there is absolutely no need to restrict to meals or food that are labeled by someone else beside you as "healthy" or "good for you".

Agreeable that if on a low daily caloric expenditure a couple of cookies might cut you short for the rest of the day but that's all there is to it in my opinion.

With those macros 2 cookies are actually spot on a pre-workout just a bit short of protein which however can be very well supplemented if need be.

The OP asked for healthy Subway ideas, and whether or not if fits in with your health and weight goals, Subway cookies are not a healthy foodstuff

I understand the point you are making that nothing is off limits if it fits into your daily requirements; and I would guess that you have this discussion a lot; but come on, in all honesty, we both know that cookies are not very healthy

If I asked for a healthy fruit snack, I wouldn't expect to see the suggestion of an apple pie with double chocolate ice cream and loads of custard, despite the fact that it could well fit into my healthy eating plan every now and again if so desired
  • abadvat
    Options

why not?

You're right 'why not'

The OP asked for healthy Subway ideas, and whether or not if fits in with your health and weight goals, Subway cookies are not a healthy foodstuff

I understand the point you are making that nothing is off limits if it fits into your daily requirements; and I would guess that you have this discussion a lot; but come on, in all honesty, we both know that cookies are not very healthy

If I asked for a healthy fruit snack, I wouldn't expect to see the suggestion of an apple pie with double chocolate ice cream and loads of custard, despite the fact that it could well fit into my healthy eating plan every now and again if so desired

Hence my first post: define "healthy".
    Healthy is a very vague label given by the food industry, the media, nutritionists, dieticians and a couple of billion people around this planet that have an opinion on food... however anyone you ask will have a different interpretation on the meaning of it.

Now, just to close the topic, if a cookie at 220 calories is supposedly "not healthy" how is it any "healthier" to go at subway where any piece of bread you eat has an average of 220 calories (for 6")?!?