Subway!!!

Options

Replies

• tr66
    tr66 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This is so depressing... Subway was my last bastion of sanity in the fast food world where my delusional thinking had me convinced that I was somehow "eating right" when compared to a much more appealing cheeseburger, fries and coke.

I have learned in this past year is that when dining out it is impossible to enjoy anything without it being calorie laden, overly processed, and filled with more additives than chemical warehouse. If it tastes good, then chances are pretty good its not good for you!!!! Quite simply, there are no healthy "tasty" choices that I order from a restaurant that I could not do better at home (and for a lot less money!)
    I'm not saying I don't eat out anymore, but I so much less, and I go with the expectation that the meal I am about to enjoy is a "treat;" A reward for eating right and exercising right all the other days of the week.
  • thatismesammyg
    thatismesammyg Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Skip the Subway. Chemical laden garbage is served there. I don't care if it's "in your macros" either. It's fast food painted with a "healthy" brush. If you eat that ****, enjoy your cancer.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Pretty easy to pick out a sub at subway that is healthy

http://www.subway.com/nutrition/nutritionlist.aspx

SKip the cheese and go for the healthier choices and you are good to go.

The argument about the cookies is if you had 400 calories to throw away, do you get a sub or cookies.

Depends.
    How hungry are you?

HUngry? For the sub.

Not real hungry and want to treat yourself? Go for the 2 cookies.

What is so unhealthy about cheese??
  • jymmeh
    jymmeh Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    subway.com has a really nice sandwich builder and calculates the calories for you for everything you add.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Skip the Subway. Chemical laden garbage is served there. I don't care if it's "in your macros" either. It's fast food painted with a "healthy" brush. If you eat that ****, enjoy your cancer.

You do realize that everything in the known world has a chance of causing cancer don't you?

I'm not really sure why you have such a hatred towards fast food, It's food, served fast, and most definitely delicious.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    It was clear to most that the OP wanted subway sandwich ideas that are considered 'healthy'
    bars the other way, as it goes. I was HAPPY to have this misconception explained to me.
    So, for many of, the OP had a distorted perception of 'healthy' - the typical "low calorie" stuff.
    Certainly that's how I viewed your post in relation to cookies, at least.

If had misconceptions about a fairly basic construct of something I was engaged in, I would want people to tell me.

Say I was riding motorcycles and thought you turned the bars left to go left (when riding above a crawl). You don't. You turn the
    I didn't feel anger towards the person trying to explain how I had misunderstood a basic concept.

I do appreciate that for some 'support' means just saying "you go dude". That's not how it works for me. I much prefer useful information as a spring board to gaining a better knowledge.

Like I said, meeting your macros are easier with some foods than others. I would imagine that you could meet the majority of macros by eating those subways that are considered 'healthy' easier than meeting your macros with a 1600mg of sodium, 1200 calorie Meatball melt.

That's hardly the same misconception as not knowing how to turn the bars of a motorbike to prevent a high speed fatal crash.
  • JodieSmith15
    JodieSmith15 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've been working at Subway to get through college for the last 4 months and caught some interesting facts about their food that might surprise you!

The highest calorie bread is the 9 grain Honey Oat. Yes! Its also the highest in sugar which you could imagine.
    The american cheese has the least amount of calories.
    All the meat, cheese, and pickled vegetables are heavily processed so subway isn't always the most ideal "healthy meal", although its better than a lot of places.
    The tuna is made with a HUGE amount of regular mayo! I would defiantly stay clear of that.
    Every subway has a nutritional facts menu so pick one up and take a peep. You might be surprised to find out how many calories can actually be in a seemingly healthy sub.

If I was to recommend a meal it would defiently be the chopped salad with turkey, ham, chicken, or just the veggies. You can choose your desired vegetables and stay away from the high carbs plus most of the dressings are custom made for subway to be less fat/calories.

I too have once had the pleasure of calling myself a "sandwich artist." I don't remember the last time I ate Subway. Preparing the tuna was so disgusting...all that mayo...and my manager liked it to be near-liquidy...aka MORE MAYO!!! Cookies and bread come frozen, they aren't fresh. Advice: don't order the meatball sub. Just don't. I'd steer clear of the soups as well.
  • bumble573
    bumble573 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I like the Chicken Teriyaki, 6 inch, on 9-Grain wheat bread, lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, green peppers and onions. 320 cals. :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    *definitely

I love you.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    The food you eat is 'chemical laden'. If that makes it garbarge, had you considered trying the 'sunshine' diet?
    I would suggest that with a lack of decent research, you are more not less likely to end up with cancer.
    dining out it is impossible to enjoy anything without it being calorie laden, overly processed, and filled with more additives than chemical warehouse.
    None of those are particularly bad for you.
    If the 'additives' include cyanide, then yes, to be fair.
    If the calories are in the tens of thousands and you eat it regularly, yes.
    If the processing involves adding razor blades, yes again.

Like I said, meeting your macros are easier with some foods than others. I would imagine that you could meet the majority of macros by eating those subways that are considered 'healthy' easier than meeting your macros with a 1600mg of sodium, 1200 calorie Meatball melt.

That's hardly the same misconception as not knowing how to turn the bars of a motorbike to prevent a high speed fatal crash.
    That would rather depend on "your macros". For me, on weight lifting days I (calorie surplus) I go for a lot of carbs and not much fat. On other days I go for higher fat - if I'm doing cardio I'll have a lot of calories (ie 4k+ if I've been around the place on the bike) and if not, my calories may be quite limited.
    I don't often go to subway, but if I did, different sandwiches would be chosen for different reasons.

As for mentioning countersteering, actually it's very similar.
    It's unlikely knowing it works differently will make much difference. But if you incorporate and learn from this knowledge it can be used as a small part of making you safer, imrpoving your riding skills and so on.

For what it's worth, a while ago I was eating quite a bit of subway. I got myself a blood pressure monitor. Despite all the salt, I had excellent blood pressure. I stopped worrying abut that.
    Cookies and bread come frozen, they aren't fresh.
    Freshly cooked, however, I presume.
    I'm always amused so many people are anti-frozen. Often it preserves MORE nutrients and so on freezing something than having it stored 'fresh' for a few days.
  • chloematilds
    chloematilds Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    subway us okay, dont just overeat. my fave is their tuna sub
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    *definitely

I love you.
    I'm afraid I already have a girlfriend. But thank you for the compliment :flowerforyou:
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

I have learned in this past year is that when dining out it is impossible to enjoy anything without it being calorie laden, overly processed, and filled with more additives than chemical warehouse. If it tastes good, then chances are pretty good its not good for you!!!! Quite simply, there are no healthy "tasty" choices that I order from a restaurant that I could not do better at home (and for a lot less money!)

That's not really true. You can dine out and have it be somewhat healthy if you ask for modifications, or look ahead at menus and a pick a place that has decent food. It may be harder and it may not be as good for you (or as good tasting) as home cooked. But you can go out and not blow your calories. Oh and cheeseburger, fries and coke might be more appealing to you, but it is not more appealing to me, unless you are talking my homemade burgers with the toppings I like and my homemade fries (which are potatoes done up in my oiless fryer) and i'll completely pass on the soda.

The last time I went in subway they tried to tell me that "green roast beef" is ok to eat. It is supposed to be that way. I haven't gone back in 2 years.
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Go for a 6 inch. Turkey, chicken, ham. No cheese. As much salad as you like. Choose your dressing carefully- I like sweet onion, but only a drizzle.

But really, what do you mean by healthy?

Why No Cheese?? What is so unhealthy about cheese?

Seriously, the standard american cheese is only 40 calories and it gives some protein. I would NEVER order a sub without cheese, that's too sad.
  • RealMarkD
    RealMarkD Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I like to get the Turkey & Ham on 9-Grain Honey Oat. Skip the cheese & sauce, add whatever veggies you want (280 calories, 18g protein, 4g fat, 5g fiber). Sometimes I'll add avocado, but not always.

And I go without cheese because I have a milk allergy & will get congested, and that's just annoying. I love me some cheese, though!
  • ClintonnGottaDoItAgain
    Options
    Oh those cookies be banging. I know I shouldn't be eating them but......lol Sometimes I feel like cookie monster from Sesame Street. Give Me The Cookies & Nobody Gets Hurt...lol
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I just don't do Subway.... even "healthy" has a lot of sodium and sugars in their food.
  • TheMalkavian
    TheMalkavian Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Chicken tikka flatbread <3

Toasted, no cheese, loads of salad and a drizzle of sweet onion sauce.

Noms.
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    What are some good HEALTHY sandwich ideas?

go to their website and customise your 'HEALTHY' sandwich suited to your macronutrient allowance for that meal.... problem solved! ;) I can recommend you mine but considering my intake is different from yours you could be eating half your macro allowance for the day by following the same sandwich im eating... hence customise your own ;)
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    As it happens I agree with the IIFYM approach too - but I'm aware that there are foods that make this approach easy, and foods that make it more difficult - which is really the crux of the OPs original question

Agree .