Logging Accurately..step by step guide

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Great post. I prodominantly use the MFP app on my phone, which has a barcode scanner. This is really useful and saves time searching the database, especially helpful when logging whilst preparing a meal. It is also pretty accurate (most of the time)
    Yep. This has helped me so much!

Great post! This needs to be bookmarked.

The barcode scanner relies on MFP users to connect the barcode to actual nutritional info (I learned this when I was apparently the first one to scan a new product), so be very careful, since it's user entered it can have problems. Some one could have connected it to the wrong product.

Yes I have had both happen to me. Either wrong info or no info. No info is typically due to it being store made like cupcakes...and wrong I will edit it.
  • ramsfan84
    ramsfan84 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    thanks helpful
  • Diza114
    Diza114 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Tagging for reference, thank you for posting.
  • ellechim1
    ellechim1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thank you :) I have been logging for about a month and this taught me a few new things.
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Ok, 1st off, let me say I appreciate your post. It has pointed out features I did not know I had available. I did recently get a scale and have been doing side by side comparison of weights vs volumes.

Regarding "homemade" or using recipes entered by others, I have done that *if* the information given is such that it matches my recipe source....allrecipes.com or the Eat To Live cookbook have been frequent sources as of late. Then I feel like I am being accurate without adding my very own version of the same recipe.

The question I have regarding recipes, because I am often one to follow a recipe once, if that, or just use them for ideas but ultimately, make my own creations....is, Is there a way to enter my recipe for my own use....but-here is the key-that my husband, who is avidly tracking on MFP, can also easily access---without adding them to the bulging MFP database? I have no personal need to "clutter" the database, but he is eating what I'm cooking, so....lol!

Good question however I do not believe so.

Perhaps that is a good suggestion for the Tech side to allow us to share recipes with our friends list or send it to a friend.

At this point I believe if you don't want to add it to the database he would have to enter it himself. That being said if you do enter it into the database my suggestion would be to note it with a special set of characters so he can search for that specifically.

Thank you! I think I will suggest it. It's a feature we would appreciate.
  • swheart4981
    swheart4981 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this, it's very helpful. I'm trying hard to be more accurate with logging. Just a question, how do you measure the licks, bites, tastes etc? That's one area where I know I could do better but I just can't wrap my head around how to do it.

There in lies the rub doesn't it..

in order to not have to log "bites" of food I just don't do it anymore...and as a cook (at home) I don't lick, I wear an apron and wipe now, and if I taste it's usually just enough to know if the spices are good...and that is my husbands job now mostly.

WOW!! REALLY??? I think I would rather be FAT! If I Lick, Bite or taste is going to be throwing a wrench in everything! I will NEVER keep that strict of a hold on my diet! If I am cooking dinner for my family, I will still be tasting that it is prepared well. *Sniff, sniff* I'm going to be fat forever!!! LMAO

EDIT** Not trying to be RUDE, because I did learn a lot!! Thanks for taking the time!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this, it's very helpful. I'm trying hard to be more accurate with logging. Just a question, how do you measure the licks, bites, tastes etc? That's one area where I know I could do better but I just can't wrap my head around how to do it.

There in lies the rub doesn't it..

in order to not have to log "bites" of food I just don't do it anymore...and as a cook (at home) I don't lick, I wear an apron and wipe now, and if I taste it's usually just enough to know if the spices are good...and that is my husbands job now mostly.

WOW!! REALLY??? I think I would rather be FAT! If I Lick, Bite or taste is going to be throwing a wrench in everything! I will NEVER keep that strict of a hold on my diet! If I am cooking dinner for my family, I will still be tasting that it is prepared well. *Sniff, sniff* I'm going to be fat forever!!! LMAO

EDIT** Not trying to be RUDE, because I did learn a lot!! Thanks for taking the time!

Oh I understand totally...it's hard not to.

I think the point here is that if it is causing issues cut it down or out...

I personally don't do it because my husband has better taste buds...as I am a smoker...*I know I know*
  • swheart4981
    swheart4981 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Oh I understand totally...it's hard not to.

I think the point here is that if it is causing issues cut it down or out...

I personally don't do it because my husband has better taste buds...as I am a smoker...*I know I know*

We can't all be perfect RIGHT! We try our best, and do what we can! You have lost an INSANE amount of weight (to me) GO SUPER GIRL!!! You ROCK!! So smoke away.

I bet that would be a big deal for the people who graze like that. 50 trips to the fridge for ONE BITE, SIP, NIBBLE!

Kinda like dollar tree, it adds up QUICK?? LMAO
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have the cliff notes for this thread? I think I’ll do my thesis on this ;-)
    I’ll eventually read this but It’ll take me a while.
    Thanks in advance for all the great info that you have here at first glance it looks like you have been very thorough.
    V/r,
    DW.
  • erelyl
    erelyl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting started, and getting into weighing my food.. and this is SO VERY HELPFUL. Thank you!! Especially the info about generic entries and nutritional information... i've been struggling with choosing the right entries from the database. This will definitely help going forward.
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    bump
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Great, helpful thread and I'd like to highlight one thing mentioned in the OP which I find very helpful is finding entries using grams. This makes it a lot easier to weigh food on my digital scale. She specifically mentioned 100 grams but I look for entries that have 1 gram options. In addition, if I can't find one I make my own and put bg (for beachgod) at the end so I know it is mine.
  • Fladebbie
    Options
    Thank you so much for taking the time to post this information. I am new to logging and there was a lot of great information I was unaware of :happy: Kudos!
  • Pmsylvester
    Pmsylvester Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the time and effort! In for using as an ongoing reference.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cstringfellow2013
    cstringfellow2013 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Also, while I think your post is wonderful and informative, there is one other exception I will point out. One of my few exceptions to "accurate logging" is shredded cheese. I log it as cups, but I do weigh it out, simply because on the nutrition label it states: 1/4 cup (28 g). I will weight out 28 grams, but log it as a quarter cup. The calories are exactly the same either way, but it is easier to find the 1/4 cup entries than search for one with grams. To use your words, it might look like a duck and quack like a duck, but I'm pretty sure it's not a duck ;) Other than that, I enjoyed your post and agree fully.

I do this as well. So it may look like I'm not weighing, but I am.
  • sashafischang
    sashafischang Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump...I've been trying to track this damn thing down forever :)
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    bump !
  • karak80
    karak80 Posts: 19
    Options
    bump
  • Can_Change_Natalie
    Can_Change_Natalie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    bump