men

Options

Replies

• littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Your man lacks self esteem, he believes if you get thin, fit, other men will notice, you will realize he is less than ideal and he already is thinking you were out of his league most likely when he got you to say hi to him, if he cant change how he feels, its him not you and seriously don't stop. I had someone in my life who was forever trying to keep me fat because of this, any time I began a diet it was truly deliberate he would bring home candy, pizza, make fries, anything tempting in my first few days/weeks, constantly complain if I went to workout that he wouldn't give up the living room for the one hour for me to run a dvd or say I would take up too much time of his at the gym when all he was going to do was sit home anyway. I finally had to fight my own fight through all that and decide to ignore that as hard as it is. I don't get some men, they hate us fat and are rude or mean about it, yet they berate us for having sneaky movies if we are fit. I cant be bothered to care any more. There are good guys out there who will be supportive and not irrationally insecure by your bettering yourself.
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    ahhh...it's stuff like this that makes me glad I'm single. Sorry OP.

+1
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Usually there are already underlying trust issues already if that's what he thinks when you hit the gym...

+1
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    why do u guys think if ur woman wants to lose weight and start going to the gym again ur mind goes straight to cheating? not only was my husbands mind thinking that but his friends think that too? cant i do something for myself? i am looking forward to wearing a bathing suit in public and not hide under a t shirt... sorry a little vent

You say this because you obviously have met ALL men right? Wrong. Don't give a blanket statement like that, because it's simply not true. Just because your husband and his friends think that way, does not mean the entire male race thinks that way.

To answer your question, though... It sounds like he's just insecure about where your relationship stands. He may think that if you get yourself in better shape that you may not "want" him anymore. If he truly loved you and trusted you, he would not have a problem with you working out and getting in better health. I know I wouldn't have a problem if my girlfriend/wife wanted to get in shape.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    why don't you ask him to join you if he is so curious? maybe he will get bit by the health bug and work on his own health/appearance.

but seriously, talk this out with your guy not with the mfp population. you're just going to see a bunch of people bash the one sided topic you have introduced. it's going to do more harm than good otherwise.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Here's my two cents: I've been with a guy like that. He also used to love to tell me how fat I was and how I was lucky that he stayed with me, because most guys wouldn't, with me looking the way I did. And as soon as I started to lose weight, he wanted to know who I was doing it for. If a man can't be supportive of you losing weight and be happy for you, well, then I don't think he's much of a partner. Assuming that you losing weight automatically equates to you cheating is not a nice assumption about the person he's supposed to love.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Just say, "so you want me to die from obesity related problems. Thanks a lot". and go off and sulk.

Maybe he will get the hint that weight loss isn't just about appearance.

Yeah, just act like a 5-year-old. That fixes everything.

He suspects you've lost interest in him and in your marriage, correct? You're not going dispel that notion if you throw a temper tantrum and refuse to even consider why he has such a problem with this. If you want to show him that you love him, that you care about his feelings, that you are deeply invested in making your marriage work, then I suggest you not drop hints and instead show your husband the respect of actually having an adult conversation with him. The things he's saying to his friends and the things you're posting on the Internet are all things you should be saying to each other.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    just break up \m/
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Let's act like mature adults and ask the internet in lieu of actually having a conversation about it...

Check.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Just say, "so you want me to die from obesity related problems. Thanks a lot". and go off and sulk.

Maybe he will get the hint that weight loss isn't just about appearance.

Yeah, just act like a 5-year-old. That fixes everything.

He suspects you've lost interest in him and in your marriage, correct? You're not going dispel that notion if you throw a temper tantrum and refuse to even consider why he has such a problem with this. If you want to show him that you love him, that you care about his feelings, that you are deeply invested in making your marriage work, then I suggest you not drop hints and instead show your husband the respect of actually having an adult conversation with him. The things he's saying to his friends and the things you're posting on the Internet are all things you should be saying to each other.

^^ this! Also, seldom does a person "get the hint" or at least not the one you intend. Say what you mean. Mean what you say. No games.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    It's not logical to think that you are doing it with the intent to cheat. But it's not illogical to think that as you become more fit, more men will notice you and give you attention. So there is a level of insecurity there where he thinks that as more men give you attention, you will find one you like better. It's also shows a level of distrust in that he thinks that you would be susceptible to that attention.

Not knowing the dynamic of you or your relationship, i don't know how justified those feelings are. But it appears that is the root of those feelings/comments.

The important step is taking time and care to work on them.
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Well my husband got tired of me complaining about how I feel about my body and said... Quit complaining and do something about and take your a** to the gym :)
  • shelbysp8
    shelbysp8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I agree whole heartedly with texstorm - He hit it on the head!
    Talk to him.

Hang in there and don't let him keep you doing what is best for you.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    just break up \m/

2n7oaw0.jpg
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    My dude immediately thought I would fail (because I had so many times before), but I was successful this time and he's no longer around to reap the benefits.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I don't how people date and marry others with such insecurities. It would take so much of my energy just to pretend to care about such nonsense.

Also...Just break up! :laugh:
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    why do u guys think if ur woman wants to lose weight and start going to the gym again ur mind goes straight to cheating? not only was my husbands mind thinking that but his friends think that too? cant i do something for myself? i am looking forward to wearing a bathing suit in public and not hide under a t shirt... sorry a little vent

Ask him to go with you. Hubby and I go to the gym together even if we don't do the same routines
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't how people date and marry others with such insecurities. It would take so much of my energy just to pretend to care about such nonsense.

They make excuses for them.

An old friend of mine started dating some chick who would grill him every time another woman posted anything on his Facebook page. He took the page down to avoid the drama.

They got engaged two months ago ...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

They make excuses for them.

An old friend of mine started dating some chick who would grill him every time another woman posted anything on his Facebook page. He took the page down to avoid the drama.

They got engaged two months ago ...

that won't end well
    That's what I'm thinking. But it's none of my business.