Why do people seem to bash "healthy"eating?

Options

Replies

• Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I've been going through lots of posts, and I see this very often: "It doesn't matter what you eat, losing weight is a matter of taking in fewer calories than you use" or "If it fits your macros, then all is fine". Isn't losing weight a part of getting healthy (or healthier) for most people? If that assumption is true (and after reading some of these posts, I'm not sure it is), then why does everyone say it is OK to eat all the processed foods that are in the American diet and has lead us, as a nation, to be the fattest industrialized nation on earth? And we know obesity contributes to diabetes, heart disease, stroke....not exactly what I would call healthy.

I'm not advocating not having a treat if you want it (this from someone who had some chocolate ice cream last night). But I don't see how eating fast foods and processed foods in the quantities offered out there can possibly be healthy. And so many people on MFP don't just say it is OK, but seem to encourage their consumption.

Just wondering.....

We have always have food; but we have not always have "bad/fake" food. Perhaps maybe some people just care about losing weight and not necessarily getting healthy. You can certainly lose weight on unhealthy food (if you want to call it food) but the consequences of it are damaging. Some people don't care about consequences until is hits them hard. But I would like to think that the majority of people do care and try hard to educate themselves the best they can. As the word is getting out, thankfully, more people are getting the information they need about what is "healthy" and what is not.

Thank you for your post.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I've been going through lots of posts, and I see this very often: "It doesn't matter what you eat, losing weight is a matter of taking in fewer calories than you use" or "If it fits your macros, then all is fine". Isn't losing weight a part of getting healthy (or healthier) for most people? If that assumption is true (and after reading some of these posts, I'm not sure it is), then why does everyone say it is OK to eat all the processed foods that are in the American diet and has lead us, as a nation, to be the fattest industrialized nation on earth? And we know obesity contributes to diabetes, heart disease, stroke....not exactly what I would call healthy.

I'm not advocating not having a treat if you want it (this from someone who had some chocolate ice cream last night). But I don't see how eating fast foods and processed foods in the quantities offered out there can possibly be healthy. And so many people on MFP don't just say it is OK, but seem to encourage their consumption.

Just wondering.....

We have always have food; but we have not always have "bad/fake" food. Perhaps maybe some people just care about losing weight and not necessarily getting healthy. You can certainly lose weight on unhealthy food (if you want to call it food) but the consequences of it are damaging. Some people don't care about consequences until is hits them hard. But I would like to think that the majority of people do care and try hard to educate themselves the best they can. As the word is getting out, thankfully, more people are getting the information they need about what is "healthy" and what is not.

Thank you for your post.

Joanne Moniz

And some people are so delusional that they can't see reality even when it unzips and smacks them in the face . . . repeatedly . . . Over and over . . . In and out
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    People don't bash eating in a way that is actually healthy. They bash the assertions that only a very narrow type of eating is "healthy."

Except...they don't. Or maybe they think they are, but what they're actually bashing / being judgmental about / getting aggressive towards are people simply SAYING the word clean eating, or that they eat clean, or healthy, etc.

It's been said again and again in this thread that the bashers aren't bashing eating healthy or choosing to eat clean, but rather people forcing clean eating down others' throats as if it was the only healthy way to eat. I agree, that would be annoying. And yet....show me one person on this thread that has taken that kind of extremist fanatical view that would justify all of the bashing of clean eating that's gone on in this thread alone. None that I can recall.

Those who bash are often trigger happy - they see the word clean and immediately jump on as if it's being pushed down their throats when 95% of the time it was entirely harmless. THAT's what's annoying for us, and in my opinion, far more annoying than the 5% of people who try to shove clean eating down others' throats since there's so many more bashers than fanatical clean eaters.
    People don't bash eating in a way that is actually healthy. They bash the assertions that only a very narrow type of eating is "healthy."
  • jbaerbock
    jbaerbock Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Cause it's not the "in" thing to do. It's not "cool". And people don't like to be held responsible for anything anymore, especialy not for what they're doing to their body when they eat terribly unhealthy things.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Cause it's not the "in" thing to do. It's not "cool". And people don't like to be held responsible for anything anymore, especialy not for what they're doing to their body when they eat terribly unhealthy things.

(It's like you're daring me to point out the obvious based on the facts that are made available to me in your public information. Now I have to figure out what I want to say without just saying it outright. Let's see if I can successfully navigate this minefield/trap.)

You're been here for almost two years. Have you always had this view about the importance of "clean" eating the entire time? Has your diary always been kept private? Do you feel like you were responsible for the situation you found yourself in almost two years ago when you joined MFP? How do you define "terribly unhealthy things"? Feel free to use my food diary to identify which foods are "terribly unhealthy": http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/jofjltncb6

(There. That should be a decent starting point.)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    OP I couldn't go through and read 20 pages of responses, but I totally agree with you! People here love to say stuff like "why not just eat X" when a low-fat version of something is brought up (like cauliflower crust pizza or whatever people are cooking up).

Sorry but if everyone had great self-control, they wouldn't have the weight issue in the first place. Myself included. I do think a healthier diet is better than the IIFYM concept; the concept makes more sense to me.

And yes you are entitled to an opinion just like anyone else here.

Yeah, this probably wasn't said in the 20 pages you chose not to read...

...so thanks for that little bit of insight.

Oh, and...
    I do think a healthier diet is better than the IIFYM concept

*face palm* *face palm* *face palm* *face palm* *face palm* *face palm* *face palm* *face palm* *face palm* *face palm* *face palm* *face palm* *face palm* *face palm* *face palm* *face palm* *face palm* *face palm* *face palm* *face palm* *face palm* *face palm* *face palm* *face palm* *face palm* *face palm* *face palm* *face palm* *face palm*

*facepalms too* Someone obviously doesn't understand what IIFYM is...again. *facepalm facepalm facepalm*
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

So, people who have had success in moderation (both in their weight/fitness goals and health) are just delusional and lack accountability?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

Just wondering.....

Thank you for your post.

Joanne Moniz

WTofficialF? JOANNE YOU"RE STILL HERE???!!!?!?!?!!!?!!???????!!!!!!!!???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!?????!!!!!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??????!!!!!!??????

Do not join her group. If you say anything remotely funny (or true) she will delete your words. Then she will delete you. I am stare thru her window of zany errday and nite.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Just this afternoon a newer member on a new thread asked about vegetables because she was going to eat clean. I think it only took 4 replies before she was grilled as to why she wanted to eat clean. Honestly, other members don't realize how they come across. One simple question regarding vegetables and already it becomes a defend why you want to eat clean? It is no one's business why she wants to eat clean! The question was about vegetables. Anyway, anyone who mentions anything about eating clean is immediately put on the hot seat. And to make matters worse, if the member who says they eat clean doesn't provide some type of justification, links to why eating clean is better and open their diary things get worse. Honestly, these folks putting those who eat anything other than the SAD need to get a grip!

Why the assumption that the people who were asking her why she eats clean all eat the SAD?

Dichotomous thinking is faulty logic and leads to long drawn-out threads like these.

Dichotomous thinking = putting people (or things) into one of two categories, generally two extremes... people in this debate get polarised into "IIFYM/junk food warriors/people who eat nothing but junk" and "clean eaters/healthy eaters/people who systematically avoid all junk food" - your assumption that anyone who's questioning someone who says they eats clean must be eating the standard American diet is the result of such dichotomous thinking. And it's bad logic.... just because someone advises people that they can enjoy some "junk" food so long as they stick to their macro and calorie goals, it does not mean they themselves eat huge amounts of junk food, or that they're advising others to eat huge amounts of junk food....just that they can eat it if it fits in their calorie/macro goals.

It's interesting that the clean eaters who exercise dichotomous thinking with regards to people who advise others they don't have to give up all "junk" food, also have dichotomous thinking about food, i.e. classifying food into "healthy" and "junk" and striving to get all their diet from the "healthy" category and abstain from the "junk" category............ but foods don't fit into two extremes like this...... food generally falls on a continuum from extremely nutritious to empty calories. And most of the food that's classified as "Junk" doesn't actually fall at the empty calories end of the scale either... burgers are very nutritious - they contain protein, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals. The problem is that they're easy to overeat on and they don't contain much fibre. A diet consisting of only burgers is going to be unbalanced, and therefore unhealthy. But if you're getting fibre from other sources and a wider range of vitamins and minerals from other sources, then including a burger in your diet, while also watching your calories, is not unhealthy. Even foods that are genuinely empty calories (meaning they give you calories and sugar but nothing else, e.g. boiled sweets, gummy bears) - nothing wrong with having a few every now and then if the rest of your diet includes all the nutrition your body needs and you log the calories.

People don't fit neatly into categories. The diet of someone who does IIFYM properly is probably no different than someone who eats 80/20 clean or even 90/10 clean. And re the assumption about the SAD - a lot of people on this site are not even American... I eat a combination of Arabic, British, American and Indian food... that might be considered to be typically British but it's not typically American. And my diet contains plenty of protein, moderate amounts of fat and carbs, plenty of vitamins and minerals (I try to get my 7 servings of fruit and veg a day - as advised by the British health authorities) and also plenty of fibre. And I drink lots of water. So if I'm going to go to KFC or Dairy Queen or get Lebanese or Iranian takeaway once a week or once a fortnight, then I'll see that as a boost to my protein intake and a reason to be careful with fats and carbs for the rest of the day. I call it IIFYM, someone else will call how I eat 80/20 clean. Point is I'm happy and healthy and my way of eating is sustainable. And I get to eat DQ chocolate chunk frozen yoghurt every couple of weeks or so. and also that people don't fit neatly into categories regarding how they eat.

Most of what is perceived by the OP and other people on this thread as "bashing healthy eating" is actually an attempt to counteract dichotomous thinking, i.e. getting people to realise that a healthy diet is about balance and that it's possible to be healthy and lose weight and eat foods classified as "junk" by some, and that there's no reason to deprive yourself as long as you're careful about fitting it into your macro and calorie goals.

You were doing so good, and then...

Choosing not to eat junk is now self-deprivation? Perhaps YOU have an unhealthy relationship with food*

* Absolutely hate that phrase, since it just screams Tumblr-esque stupidity.

Where did I say that choosing not to eat "junk" food is self-deprivation? Nowhere. I said it's *possible* to eat these foods that some people (not me) classify as "junk".... not *mandatory* LOL.... and what foods do I consider junk food? None of them, I avoid using that term (and put it in "s when I have to use it such as in debates about "junk" food). How can I consider it mandatory for people to consume a category of food when I don't even consider the categorsation valid to begin with?

if there are foods that you really want to eat but you deny yourself those foods out of the mistaken belief that you can't be healthy or lose fat if you eat them, then yes that's self-deprivation. This only applies to food that you *actually really want* to eat. It doesn't apply to food that you don't want to eat. Very obvious statement is very obvious... but this is MFP so I guess having to state the obvious is necessary sometimes....

I really want to eat Reece's Peanut Butter cups but I won't do it because I know I will end up binging on the whole bag! So instead I make my own version with extra dark chocolate, coconut oil and peanut butter. Does that mean I am depriving myself because im not eating the actual 'Reece's' and instead opting to make my own with half the calories? I try to avoid processed where I can.

Edit to say I actually like mine a lot better {not to toot my own horn}, and am totally content with eating just one.

If you feel that your home made peanut butter thingy is as good as the shop one and it satisfies you then you're not depriving yourself.... I would have thought that should be obvious.....? I'm not using the term "self-deprivation" in any unusual or non-standard way. Do you feel deprived? If the answer to that question is no, then you're not depriving yourself. It's something only you can judge because it's based on how you feel.

and why would people get so upset about what I said, even if they are actually depriving themselves? I never said anything bad about people who deprive themselves of things. I only said that doing so *is not necessary* to succeed at being healthy and losing fat, and that feeling deprived is bad for long term compliance. And the reason for pointing it out is that a lot of people start out trying to lose fat with the belief that they *do* have to deprive themselves of lots of things that they enjoy, and so they end up having trouble sticking to their eating plan.... the message is for those people, i.e. you *don't* have to deprive yourself, you *can* enjoy all those foods as long as you're careful about logging accurately and stick within your calorie goal, and in fact it's better from a long term compliance point of view..... it's bizzare that saying this, which is good news for most people who want to lose fat, is so freaking contravertial on this forum!!

If you don't feel deprived then the above doesn't apply to you!! If you *do* feel deprived then the above should be good news....
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

Those who bash are often trigger happy - they see the word clean and immediately jump on as if it's being pushed down their throats when 95% of the time it was entirely harmless. THAT's what's annoying for us, and in my opinion, far more annoying than the 5% of people who try to shove clean eating down others' throats since there's so many more bashers than fanatical clean eaters.

5%? There are plenty of posts that are constantly saying that if you don't eat "clean, real foods," then you're eating garbage, junk, crap, chemical laden toxins, fake foods...on and on and on.

Sorry, but I'm pretty sure that tortilla I ate earlier didn't come from a garbage can and I've certainly never eaten crap.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    It's decision time!

Round two: are you in or out?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I'm in.

Are you?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    in…for the roll...
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    in…for the roll...
    As long as the roll isn't processed, I'm in as well.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    in…for the roll...
    As long as the roll isn't processed, I'm in as well.

it has less than five ingredients….
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    in for a healthy bashing.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Wow I'm late to the party on this one.
    DAMNIT I wish I wasn't so busy at work!! You guys are having all the fun without me!

IIFYM does NOT mean eat whatever you want.
    It means specifically eat pizza, donuts, and alcohol. Technically drink alcohol, not eat it, but that's what the "A" stands for in IIFYM.

Did someone already say this or am I first?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I'm in.

Are you?
    are you?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    in for a healthy spanking.
    mmk if you insist.:flowerforyou:
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Wow I'm late to the party on this one.
    DAMNIT I wish I wasn't so busy at work!! You guys are having all the fun without me!

IIFYM does NOT mean eat whatever you want.
    It means specifically eat pizza, donuts, and alcohol. Technically drink alcohol, not eat it, but that's what the "A" stands for in IIFYM.

Did someone already say this or am I first?

WHERE WERE YOU 500 POSTS AGO???

We certainly could have used your insight.

Too late now, I suppose. What's done is done.