Options
    bump
  • windgirl
    Options
    bump
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    I throw any kind of chicken,legs,thighes,breasts,etc in the crockpot with a jar of pasta sauce.I serve over whole wheat pasta.Cooks for 8 hrs or so on low.
    YUM!!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Chili is my fav! My dietitian has my on a fairly strict high fiber diet due to high cholesterol (thanks mom!). But chili is yummy and tons of fiber!!

1 lb ground beef (or turkey)
    1 onion chopped
    1 green pepper chopped
    1.5 tsp salt
    1 tbsp chili powder
    2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    29 oz can tomato sauce
    3 16 oz cans kidney beans
    14.5 oz can stewed tomatoes
    6 oz can tomato paste

Feel free to substitute fresh cut tomatoes for the stewed tomatoes as that would have less salt.

Just brown the meat....and half way through browning add the chopped onion and green pepper. Once that is browned dump it and everything else in the crock pot and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 7-8. (Low tastes better imo)

Then just add whatever mix-ins you like. I usually make this with homemade cornbread. :)

I also like to have roasts in the crock pot, bbq anything, pulled pork, etc. The pulled pork you just add any old pork roast, some Montreal seasoning and a can of broth of some sort. Cook on low for 7 hours or so. Then I just put it on a bun and add a little bit of bbq sauce on top. Tasty sandwich!

I just got a new slow cooker so I can't wait to try this!
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I love this recipe cause it's a lot of open and dump ingredients. I have a 3 and one year old, so the whole elaborate prep work for any recipe is very difficult! :) I hope you enjoy it!

I can't believe how many recipes there are for me to try now! This post just exploded since I posted! :)
  • awalk105
    awalk105 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you think that your meal is going to leave you with a dreadful night in the kichen cleaning use slow cooker bags or oven roast bag. I like the oven roast bags better for some reason. Meal still has the same effect if the bag wasn't in there. Just a suggestion.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    The New Favorite: Chile Verde

chopped onion
    4-6 toes garlic, cut into chunks
    2-3 trimmed boneless porkchops (or a 2 lb pork roast....I think it's too much meat, but the recipe is flexible)
    16 oz salsa verde
    small jar of chopped peppers (mild or jalepeno, depending on how much kick you want)
    2-3 cups cooked pinto beans (or a can, drained)

Put the above ingredients in the crockpot, cook on low for 6-8 hours. Add the cilantro and zucchini. Cook on low for another 2-3 hours. (If you don't mind soggy zucchini, add it all at the same time. Or omit the zucchini.....)

1/2 C fresh cilantro
    1-2 zucchini, cut into spoon sized pieces
  • msemejuru
    msemejuru Posts: 229
    Options
    Moroccan slow cooker stew
    Ingredients:
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 medium garlic clove, minced
    1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
    1 cup carrots
    1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
    1/2 cup vegetable broth
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
    15 oz canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
    1/2 tsp table salt
    Directions:
    1. Coat a small pot with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic; saute for 5 minutes.

2. Place squash in a 3-quart or larger slow cooker. Add onion and garlic, carrots, tomatoes, broth, cinnamon, cumin and red pepper flakes. Cover and turn on to low heat; simmer for 6 hours.

3. Add chickpeas and salt. Stir, cover and heat for 5 minutes.

Yields 6 about 1 1/3 cups per serving.

Calories: 170.5
  • msemejuru
    msemejuru Posts: 229
    Options
    Slow-Cooker Minestrone Soup
    Ingredients:
    4 c. vegetable broth
    4 c. tomato juice
    1 tbsp. dried basil
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    2 medium carrots, sliced (1 cup)
    2 medium celery stalks, chopped (1 cup)
    1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
    1 c. sliced mushrooms (or 1 can sliced, drained)
    2 garlic cloves finely chopped
    1 can (28oz) diced tomatoes (undrained)
    1 1/2 c. uncooked rotini pasta (any pasta is fine)
    Directions:
    1. In 4-5 qt. slow cooker, mix all ingredients except for pasta.

2. Cover, cook on low heat setting 7-8 hours (or until veggies are tender.

3. Stir in pasta; Cover; cook on High heat setting for 15-20 minutes or until pasta is tender.

Number of Servings: 12 Calories: 78.0
  • theotherjamie
    Options
    I've got a couple of great slow cooker (crock pot) recipes on my blog. Here's the address to my blog:

http://www.theotherjamie.blogspot.com/

Look at the Chicken Adobo Recipe and the White Chili Recipe. Both are really good. In a few days or next week, I'm going to write about a really great Black Bean Soup recipe that my sister gave me. I just have to make it and take a picture.

Jamie
  • chancie72
    chancie72 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    bump
  • seeled
    seeled Posts: 93
    Options
    bump
  • sportsqueen32
    Options
    I throw in a jar of sugar free blackberry jam, 1/2-1T ground ginger, 1/2 c. brown sugar ( i use splenda brown sugar), 1/2c-3/4c dried chopped onion, 2T. garlic, and 1/2c. low sodium chicken broth......mix well and i add the 3-4lb pork loin with the fat cut off.
    My slow cooker works really fast do I can put this on high and it's done in 2 hrs. If I set in on low I can usually get about 4 1/2 free hours...lol That's the reason I only put in 1/2c of broth. If I cook it on high I only use about 1/4c.

i make many variations of this, i mix up the jam like raspberry, apricot or apple.
  • missmetzy
    Options
    A favorite in my family is chickem breast and sauerkraut. Simply just boneless skinless chicken breast and a jar of sauerkraut over it. Cooked on low for 4hrs. Everyone I mention this recipe turns their nose up and comments about the weird combination. This is a WONDERFUL easy and tasty dish! Add mashed potatoes for a fast family meal very low in fat and calories! Try it and let me know! :)
  • CarrieAbbey
    CarrieAbbey Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mandamitch
    Options
    My absolute favorite dish is corn chowder! Super easy to make and a big hit with the picky eaters here.

I also like pulled pork (pork roast, bottle of bbq sauce and juice from 1 orange), slow cooker lasagna and what is called taco bake (pasta dish w/a mexican flavoring).

I try to pair any dinner (especially pasta based ones) with a big salad topped with salsa and cottage cheese instead of dressing.
  • TrudyLea
    Options
    The absolute best thing I've learned about the crockpot is using the liners. They are a bit expensive but so worth it to me. A great mean and no clean up!
  • mgaston
    Options
    Hi I just rejoined this AM . It worked last time, I just let go of it. I went to Borders and found a couple of great recepie books there. Loook for the low calorie one. Best wishes for a slim New year.
  • RedondoJen
    Options
    BUMP
  • cupajoe
    cupajoe Posts: 155
    Options
    I LOVE my crock pot!!!

Put a pork roast in the crock pot and pour one can of saurkraut on the top...season with pepper. Cook 8hrs on low. Even if you don't like saurkraut (like my hubby) you can just scrape the kraut off before serving.

1 bag of frozen meatballs (I have used turkey, country style, and Italian) In the crock pot mix one can crm. of mushroom, one can french onion soup, a Tablespoon of worchestershire and mix. Stir in the meatballs until coated. cook on low 6-8 hrs. I like to serve these over egg noodles.