What is your FAV SLOW COOKER Recipe?

Options
Hi Everyone! Just looking for some recipes to make in the slow cooker... I just got my first one and have no idea what to make (other than chili) :flowerforyou: Thanks in advance!

Replies

• RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Throw a can of cream of mushroom soup in the slow cooker. Mix in a can of water and season to taste (I like adding salt, pepper and basil or thyme). Add a nice slab of beef. Sometimes I also like to add a beef bouillon cube or two. Turn it on to high for 8 hours. I make this is my small cooker so you can adjust this according to what size you need and how much food you want to get out of it.

I don't suggest using any type of gravy because that can boil over very easily and becomes a pain to clean :)

If you want more I get mine from allrecipes.com.
  • haottilie
    Options
    Here is a super easy one for the fall weather right around the corner.
    6 large carrots cut in half and quatered
    3 sweet potatoes cut in half and quatered
    1-2 lbs. ham
    1 cup maple syrup

Place the carrots and sweet potatoes on the bottom of the slow cooker and put the ham on top. Pour the maple syrup over and cook 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high. Since there is a lot of water in the ingredients, you do not need to add any.
    We like to have mini corn muffins with our servings.
  • lakeothehills
    Options
    Beef Roast
    2-3 lb beef roast
    1 lg can cream of mushroom soup
    Put in crock pot & cook on low 8-10 hours & serve on texas toast
    Very easy & filling & tasty

Also can put beef roast in crock pot and add some cut up potatoes, carrots, onions and a package of lipton onion soup and a cup of water. Cook 8-10 hours on low. Very good. Enjoy!
  • SJT75
    SJT75 Posts: 134
    Options
    Bump.....yum yum
  • kcurtis05
    kcurtis05 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I second the Beef...
    Can you post your chili?
    Bump for more ideas.
  • Gerkenstein
    Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    OMG! BUMP!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    OMG, I have too many to count! Here's my favorites (low for 8 hrs yields best results):

- Cream of chicken (or Cream of Mushroom) soup w/chicken breasts or pork chops
    - Cheddar cheese soup, salsa, taco seasoning w/chicken breasts
    - McCormick slow cooker pulled pork seasoning w/rump roast
    - BBQ sauce w/chicken breasts or boneless pork ribs
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Shawna35
    Shawna35 Posts: 65
    Options
    When I am short on time I like to put a large bag of frozen turkey meatballs in the crockpot with a big jar of spaghetti sauce. Good for meatball sandwiches. Or you can use the Lawry's Hawaiian marinade to cook the meatballs in the crockpot, which is awesome with rice.
  • Freckles3
    Options
    YUM. WOW!

In terms of my chili... I just toss in some corn, black beans... or any beans I have in the house, peppers, chili powder, lean ground beef... or chicken (sometimes I do a white chilli with corn, beans and chicken... add some yellow peppers, a dash of salt and pepper.... cook on low/med while at work ... 6-8 hrs and YUM)... I add spice to taste as I go... you can also get the taco spices premixed... although I find they have a TON of sodium. I also like to add rasins... a fun little twist to the chili....
  • mymeow
    mymeow Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That ham one sounds really good. I'll have to make note of that!!

Our favorite one is probably a meatloaf recipe I have that I cook in the crockpot. Let me know if you're interested in it and I'll post it (don't have it memorized). I also have a slow cooker lasagna that's pretty good, and I love cooking beef stew and pot roast in the crock pot. I do the same with the pot roast, with the cream of mushroom soup, but also like to throw a couple of potatoes and some carrots in celery in there too!

I loooooove my slow cooker, especially in the winter when it's cold outside!
  • Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    Here's one of my favorites, sorry in advance for taking up so much room on the message board with it. . .:blushing:
    Crockpot Lasagna

1 lb uncooked ground turkey breast (or extra lean ground beef)
    1 lg onion
    2 cloves garlic
    29 oz canned tomato sauce
    6 oz canned tomato paste
    1 cup water
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp ground oregano
    8 oz dry lasagna noodles
    2 cups Kraft Free Shredded Mozzarella cheese (most of the time I just use a store brand "low-fat" instead, it's cheaper:smile:)
    2 cups fat-free cottage cheese
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

In skillet, cook turkey or ground beef, onion & garlic over med. heat until meat is no longer pink. Add tomato sauce, water, tomato paste, salt & oregano; mix well. Spread 1/4 meat sauce in bottom of crockpot. Arrange 1/3 noodles over sauce, breaking to fit. Combine cheeses in another bowl, spoon 1/3 cheese mixture over noodles. Repeat layers twice more. Top with remaining meat sauce. Cover & cook on low 4 - 5 hrs. or until noodles are tender.
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Meatloaf in the crockpot??? You MUST share!
  • losingnow
    Options
    That ham one sounds wonderful! And now we are having meatball subs for supper!!! YUM!!!!
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Chili is my fav! My dietitian has my on a fairly strict high fiber diet due to high cholesterol (thanks mom!). But chili is yummy and tons of fiber!!

1 lb ground beef (or turkey)
    1 onion chopped
    1 green pepper chopped
    1.5 tsp salt
    1 tbsp chili powder
    2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    29 oz can tomato sauce
    3 16 oz cans kidney beans
    14.5 oz can stewed tomatoes
    6 oz can tomato paste

Feel free to substitute fresh cut tomatoes for the stewed tomatoes as that would have less salt.

Just brown the meat....and half way through browning add the chopped onion and green pepper. Once that is browned dump it and everything else in the crock pot and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 7-8. (Low tastes better imo)

Then just add whatever mix-ins you like. I usually make this with homemade cornbread. :)

I also like to have roasts in the crock pot, bbq anything, pulled pork, etc. The pulled pork you just add any old pork roast, some Montreal seasoning and a can of broth of some sort. Cook on low for 7 hours or so. Then I just put it on a bun and add a little bit of bbq sauce on top. Tasty sandwich!
  • happy_heather121
    happy_heather121 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I make applesauce in mine. It turns out really good. It's so easy and there are a million recipes out there for crockpot applesauce, i freeze all the leftovers.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I use mine to make fat free refried beans for taco night.

Just soak the beans in water overnight like you would for anything. Drain and rinse them in the morning. Drop them in the crock pot and add water to about 2 inches above the level of the beans. Season them however you like. I use a packet of ramen noodle seasoning, its perfect. Bullion would work to. Then just set it on high (or in my case, "on") all day, adding water if the water evaporates off, stir it occasionally. Eventually the beans will over cook and burst open. As you keep stirring occasionally and the beans break up, they'll cook down to refried bean consistency on their own.

I guess technically it might be bean curd and not refried beans, but its the right consistency and taste with 0 fat and 0 mashing!
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    Bump! In the past I have made crock pot meals that I bought in the store, now I will have to try some of these recipes! Awesome post!
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I just throw chicken breast or a pork roast in and some KC masterpiece over the top--cook all day Yummy!

You can find some more crockpot recipes on my blog : debscooking.blogspot.com