Replies

• dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Double post sorry
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I found this cookbook at the bookstore...it might help you out! :)

FIX-IT and FORGET-IT LIGHTLY : Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker

Phyllis Pellman Good (Author)

I've tried about 20 or so recipes so far and they have all turned out very good. I love that the calories are so low!
    Highly recommend any of her 'fix it and forget it' series as well! Some great recipes in them, healthy, and quick and tasty!
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I have an older style Crock Pot so my cooking times may be a bit long in comparison to some of the newer models.

Here are a few of our favorites:

CREAMY CHICKEN:

Place 4 chicken breasts at the bottom of the slow cooker. Add 2 cans cream soup (cream of chicken works the best, but any will do)
    Cook on low 7-8 hours or high 4-6 hours. About 1/2 before finished, mix 1 tbsp cornmeal and 1 tbsp flour with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle ontop for a yummy cornmeal dumpling style crust.

BEEF STROGANOFF:

Place some stew meat at the bottom of the slow cooker. Add some chopped onions (usually half an onion for us, we like onions!) Add 1-2 cans (depending on how much meat) cream soup (mushroom works the best, but any will do). Cook on low 7-8 hours or high 4-6 hours. Serve over egg noodles.

APPLE PIE BREAKFAST:

Place 2 Cups Steel Cut Oats, 4 Cups Milk, 3 Cups Water, 2-4 Medium Apples, diced (sweet apples work best), Cinnamon & Nutmeg to taste in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 5-7 hours (until liquid is incorporated) stirring every so often. Top with real Maple Syrup (has to be real, I use 'grade b' from the health food store for this recipe), for drizzling ontop.

ROAST CHICKEN:

Throw a whole chicken (insides removed) in slow cooker. Add your favorite chopped veggies (potatoes, carrots, onions). Top with poultry seasoning, salt & pepper to taste. Cook on low 8 hours or high 5-6 hours. DO NOT ADD ANY LIQUID. The juices from the chicken will be enough. If you add water the fat will seperate and make your veggies look unappetizing. I save the leftover juices from the chicken and make gravy for my husband.

ROAST BEEF:

Cut half a dozen cloves of garlic lenghthwise into 3-4 strips. Cut slits in your roast beef and insert garlic. Throw it into the slow cooker. Add your favorite chopped veggies (potatoes, carrots, onions). Top with salt, pepper to taste. Cook on low 8 hours or high 5-6 hours. DO NOT ADD ANY LIQUID. The juices from the roast will be enough. If you add water the fat will seperate and make your veggies look unappetizing. I save leftover juices from the roast and make gravy for my husband.
  • ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    There are some great ideas on here for the slow cooker! We got one for our wedding and have yet to use it! Looks like I'm going shopping soon...especially for those lime tacos..I know my husband will love them! Thanks guys :laugh:
  • coolstacey6
    coolstacey6 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    bump
  • itsmenatalie
    itsmenatalie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I love my slow cooker - it has a permanent place on my counter and gets used at least once a week. Here's one of my favorites:

Mexican Chicken:
    2 Frozen Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
    1 can black beans
    1 can pinto beans
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 can (small) diced green chillies
    1 can (small) sliced black olives
    1 package taco seasonings (or your own blend)

Place the chicken at the bottom of the crock pot and then just open each can in turn and dump the contents on top. Sprinkle the seasoning on the top and then cook on High for 3-4 hours or low for 5-7 hours. Then remove the chicken and shred it with 2 forks and throw it back in.

This can be used for everything from tacos to nachos or just eaten as is! I like to throw a little shredded cheese and some fat-free sour cream over the top.
  • debees
    debees Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Beef or Venison "Students"

Line bottom of crockpot with bacon, sliced white potatoes are the next layer, then a layer of sliced carrots, a layer of stew meat (lean beef cubes or venison), a layer of canadian bacon is next. Continue layering as previously until within 11/2 - 2 inches of top. Add 1 cup wine and then add water until you can see the fluid thru the potatoes. Cook on high 1 hour then turn down to low for 8-10 hours. Delicious!
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I just throw chicken breast or a pork roast in and some KC masterpiece over the top--cook all day Yummy!

You can find some more crockpot recipes on my blog : debscooking.blogspot.com

i often do this but use your favorite bbq sauce and also throw in some sliced onion.

for easy chili verde use pork and salsa verde in the slow cooker. finish with cilantro and squeezed lime right over the pork when you go to serve.

beans are great in a slow cooker since they take a long time from scratch (i love red beans and rice)

while lots of folks suggest chicken I must confess i stay away from that unless i pre cook the chicken (microbiology made me too aware of food borne illness and i just play it extra safe).
  • chelleim
    chelleim Posts: 78
    Options
    Bump!
  • shannon_miller
    Options
    ohhh glad I stumbled onto this :) some of these sound fantastic!
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • gbrandeberry
    gbrandeberry Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I put a frozen lean beef roast in the crock pot top it with a packet of Onion soup mix stirred with a 1/4 cup of water and leave it for 8 - 10 hours. Super Easy and you can just slice it with cottage cheese and salad or shred the leftovers for burritos. :blushing:
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Italian Beef

3-4 lb chuck roast
    1 pkg. Good Seasons Italian Dressing mix
    1 pkg. Beef Au Jus mix
    1 bottle beer
    1/2 cup water
    Hot or mild pepper rings, to taste
    2 bay leaves
    2 to 3 pinches thyme

Place beef in cooker. Add rest of ingredients. Cook on low 7 hours. Remove bay leaves. Shred beef with fork and serve on Italian rolls.
  • KatieKlotz
    KatieKlotz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!
  • littlelady66
    Options
    4 frozen chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
    1 jar of salsa
    2 cans of beans (red or black or both)
    Cook all day on high and serve over rice for a perfect one dish meal for a family on the run!
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Please please please post the meatloaf recipe!
  • Scoobees
    Scoobees Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later! :love:
  • Freckles3
    Options
    YUMMY! Thanks everyone.... I also just got a recipe book called "the healthy slow cooker" ... so far so good... I will post the good ones!