What is your FAV SLOW COOKER Recipe?

Options

Replies

• stringcheeze
    Options
    Here's one of my favorites, sorry in advance for taking up so much room on the message board with it. . .:blushing:
    Crockpot Lasagna

I've made a version of this with Boca Ground (a soy meat replacement) instead of turkey/chicken for a vegetarian friend. Loved it, but it was almost too good -- hard to put the fork down. :) I like ripe olives in mine too.
  • fudJy23
    fudJy23 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Roast a chicken? Rub chicken with salt, pepper and some mix of spices. I throw in some paprika and my next one will probably involve some ground cumin. Place chicken in your crock pot and on low for 6-8 hours.

From here, I've taken the meat to make chicken enchiladas, burrito bowl, and a chicken and broccoli casserole. Many possibilities.
  • fudJy23
    fudJy23 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Roast a chicken? Rub chicken with salt, pepper and some mix of spices. I throw in some paprika and my next one will probably involve some ground cumin. Place chicken in your crock pot and on low for 6-8 hours.

From here, I've taken the meat to make chicken enchiladas, burrito bowl, and a chicken and broccoli casserole. Many possibilities.

ETA. Okay, how do I delete a double post?
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    I always make a huge batch of this after Thanksgiving and freeze individual portions (1.5 c) and freeze them so I can grab one for lunch when I am in a rush. I usually am assured a homemade lunch for at least two weeks.

I'm curious as to how to you freeze the individual servings. Pour it into Ziploc bags? Pour into saved plastic containers then once frozen empty it into something else for storage?

I've poured excess broth into ice cube trays to freeze so I could have a "shot" of flavor to add into a dish, but it seems a bit unwieldy with serving sizes.
  • tigersgirl
    tigersgirl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Suzanita
    Suzanita Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Suzanita
    Options
    Bump
  • Suzanita
    Options
    Bump
  • KZOsMommy
    KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    pulled pork!!

I also make a vegetarian bean and apple chili

Would you be willing to share your vegetarian bean and apple chili recipe with us? :flowerforyou:
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    bump for later :)
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    I love fresh Polish sausage in the crock:

2-3 cans of low sodium beef broth
    1-2 large onions - chopped
    1 bag of sauerkraut

Layer the kraut, onions and sausage and then pour the broth over the top - cook all day and OMG.........yummy:smile:
  • kcurtis05
    kcurtis05 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Great ideas everyone!! Thanks! I just made a 3 page doc with all the recipes. YUM! :bigsmile:
  • Phera
    Phera Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Lime Chicken Tacos
    Ingredients

* 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
    * 3 tablespoons lime juice
    * 1 tablespoon chili powder
    * 1 cup frozen corn
    * 1 cup chunky salsa
    * 12 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
    * Sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and shredded lettuce, optional

Directions

* Place the chicken in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine lime juice and chili powder; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender.
    * Remove chicken; cool slightly. Shred meat with two forks and return to the slow cooker; heat through. Stir in corn and salsa.
    * Cover and cook on low for 30 minutes or until heated through. Serve in tortillas with sour cream, cheese and lettuce if desired. Yield: 12 tacos.

Nutrition Facts: 1 taco (prepared with fat-free tortillas; calculated without sour cream and cheese) equals 148 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 338 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 14 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 very lean meat, 1 starch.
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Lime Chicken Tacos
    Ingredients

* 1 cup frozen corn
    * 1 cup chunky salsa

Directions

* Place the chicken in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine lime juice and chili powder; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender.
    * Remove chicken; cool slightly. Shred meat with two forks and return to the slow cooker; heat through. Stir in corn and salsa.
    * Cover and cook on low for 30 minutes or until heated through. Serve in tortillas with sour cream, cheese and lettuce if desired. Yield: 12 tacos.

Nutrition Facts: 1 taco (prepared with fat-free tortillas; calculated without sour cream and cheese) equals 148 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 338 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 14 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 very lean meat, 1 starch.

these sound delicious!!
  • Sebastiansmommy
    Options
    Lime Chicken Tacos
    Ingredients

* 1 cup frozen corn
    * 1 cup chunky salsa

Directions

I have to try this!:bigsmile:
  • suthernbelle
    suthernbelle Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Bump!!!
  • kdshelton04
    Options
    bump!
  • Freckles3
    Options
    i am going to make the chicken lime tacos tonight! sooo excited! thanks for all the great ideas...
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    double post sorry.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Fat Free Refried Beans

Soak overnight
    2 Cups pinto beans (washed and sorted)
    8 Cups water
    add
    1 diced jalapeno
    2 diced onions
    turn the slow cooker on high for 8 -10 hours

add
    salt and pepper to taste
    juice of 1 lime

you can mash some of the beans either with a potato masher or remove to food processer if desired.